Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021/22 Colts at Jags Post Game thoughts.....

EastStreet

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Chris Ballard (the Smartest Guy In Every Room He Walks Into, just ask him or the fawning media) has most capably handled the easiest positions to fill and ignored or just missed on the hardest—Edge, CB, WR, QB. 

Edge and WR are the big ones. I still think Wentz will be just fine if he fixes the offensive weapons. 

31 minutes ago, colt191812 said:

I know Reich said they had a great week of practice etc, but I find it hard to believe that this team hasn't been seriously impacted by Covid in the last two weeks. 

This, right here.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Ir might of.   When you give a bad team life we see what happened today. Who knows how this would of turned out had we got the ball first.

From the 60 minutes I watched, I have a pretty good idea what would have happened. Also, if our team is that fragile, then they're not very good. We should be able to beat the Jags on their best day.

Considering where we were two weeks ago, this is truly one of our worst losses ever.  Probably the most embarrassing.  

So much to say, no energy to say it.  

Frank has presided over slow starts and some epic collapses.  Not a good combination.

In two weeks, Ballard and Frank have gone from some of the most respected people in the league to a punchline.  The stench from this will linger for a long tjme.

This wasn’t just on Wentz.  It was a total collapse all the way around.  There were really no bright spots that I could see.  We were never in the game.  A collapse like this at the end of the season should result in some jobs being lost.  I don’t see how Irsay and Ballard can stay status quo.  Jim has to be devastated and embarrassed.  I couldn’t believe how terribly they played.  Couldn’t believe it.  It sucks. It still hasn’t sunk in that our season is actually over.  Almost hard to believe.

5 minutes ago, tvturner said:

The entire league has been affected by COVID

It's not an excuse

Never said it was excuse. More pointing out that predictions early in the season about the teams who can handle Covid the best will succeed. Unfortunately for the Colts, needing to deal with Covid happened at the worst possible time - and to a player critical to the teams success (Wentz). 

3 minutes ago, tvturner said:

The entire league has been affected by COVID

It's not an excuse

Not an excuse but definitely adds up.  We puked against the Raiders and laid down against the worst of the worst.  COVID resulted in loss of practice time and the players that were infected probably not 100%.  We have looked lethargic and flat since.  If I'm Irsay, either get vaccinated or don't come back next season.  Because availability - both game time AND practice - should be number 1 priority.

58 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If I am Irsay, I walk into the licker room and tell the players and coaches to find their own way home. I'm serious!! I think that is the worst loss I have seen since following the Colts.

I would have to agree because nothing and I mean nothing worked. I was trying to think of a more lack luster, give a damn appearance and I could not come up with one. I was pushing the clock to hurry up and end his misery. If Reich responds with the typical canned dialogues as to why ("Uhm, just got get better, play harder and we will look at the films") then that will be proof he is lost. Typically things can be pointed to as to why they lost but today after losing last week I don't know a single player on that team.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This wasn’t just on Wentz.  It was a total collapse all the way around.  There were really no bright spots that I could see.  We were never in the game.  A collapse like this at the end of the season should result in some jobs being lost.  I don’t see how Irsay and Ballard can stay status quo.  Jim has to be devastated and embarrassed.  I couldn’t believe how terribly they played.  Couldn’t believe it.  It sucks. It still hasn’t sunk in that our season is actually over.  Almost hard to believe.

Jim didn’t seem to upset in that video. I mean, I’m sure he is but didn’t seem like a guy who’s gonna make changes.

Ballard on the other hand, I bet he’s po’d. Not that he’s blameless, but I imagine we’ll get the rawest take from him. 

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Jim didn’t seem to upset in that video. I mean, I’m sure he is but didn’t seem like a guy who’s gonna make changes.

Ballard on the other hand, I bet he’s po’d. Not that he’s blameless, but I imagine we’ll get the rawest take from him. 

I was shocked at how upbeat Jim was. From what I understand Ballard is always very emotional after a loss. 

Just now, IrsaysArmy said:

Leonard, Buckner, Kenny Moore, Braden Smith all played terrible today. What’s that like 70 million of our salary cap 

Buckner barely played. I really hope it was because he was injured bad because holding him out because they we  thinking we would win is a bad move.

Ballards presser this week will be very interesting. 

Ever see Manning or Brady * off at how the game is going when it was going wrong? See anyone mad on the Colts today?

Seven all pro players against arguably the worst team in the NFL playing in a chance to go to the playoffs. Even the one broadcaster kept repeating the word "shock." Hard Knocks will be interesting to watch after this game.

42 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Mac Jones is not a fit for this offense AT ALL.

Why not?  We just saw Rivers lead almost the same team to the playoffs. Is Jones much different from Rivers was last year?  He’s a rookie but he was up to 70% completions deep into the season. That’s Rivers like accuracy. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Why not?  We just saw Rivers lead almost the same team to the playoffs. Is Jones much different from Rivers was last year?  He’s a rookie but he was up to 70% completions deep into the season. That’s Rivers like accuracy. 

Rivers barely got touched last year. He's not good with a bad OL. Look at his 2019 season when he was pressured like Wentz was this year. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Rivers barely got touched last year. He's not good with a bad OL. Look at his 2019 season when he was pressured like Wentz was this year. 

Hard to argue with Fisher being a turnstile all season but Rivers knew this team.  I think he would’ve worked all those slants & crossers to Campbell that Wentz missed most of the season.  Thus negating some of the pressure. But trust, I was unhappy with Rivers because of his pension to abandon the run.  I don’t know if that’s something he would’ve been less inclined to do this season.  But I think he’d have been more effective in the short game than Carson.  And we would’ve been better off for it this season. Wentz left a lot of easy completions out on the field and took bone crunching sacks (that possibly accumulated & contributed to his poor play towards the end of the season).

21 minutes ago, #12. said:

I've seen it so many times with this defense.  They had them at 3rd and long twice on the opening drive.  If they get them off the field, everything is probably fine.  If not, it snowballs.

That D letting Lawrence start 12/12 was pathetic.

JT helped cover up a lot of bad on this team this year. 

I'm no Wentz lover, but he definitely ain't the only thing holding us back. This D is so soft at crucial times.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Hard to argue with Fisher being a turnstile all season but Rivers knew this team.  I think he would’ve worked all those slants & crossers to Campbell that Wentz missed most of the season.  Thus negating some of the pressure. But trust, I was unhappy with Rivers because of his pension to abandon the run.  I don’t know if that’s something he would’ve been less inclined to do this season.  But I think he’d have been more effective in the short game than Carson.  And we would’ve been better off for it this season. Wentz left a lot of easy completions out on the field and took bone crunching sacks (that possibly accumulated & contributed to his poor play towards the end of the season).

Wentz avoided a ton of sacks. I'd hate to think about Rivers under the type of pressures we saw this year. Like I said, look at Rivers 2019 stats when he saw that kind of pressure. He knew that team lol.. 

All in all, Wentz is not a short throw QB like Rivers. He's a level 2/3 guy. And that's hard to be when your OL is poor, and you're WRs don't get separation. 

At the end of the day, Wentz isn't going anywhere. And even if we were willing, the few good QBs in the league are mostly locked up. Best thing to do is accept reality, and improve the OL and pass catchers. And hopefully play calling.

41 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I said he played bad. I refuse to put all the blame on him when oline and play calling was horrific.

Those were bad too but Wentz looked flat out lost out there like he didn’t know what he was looking at.  Time and time again he just sat there and held the ball until a Jag hit him.  Wentz has been awful the last two weeks and yes so have other things but those don’t offset Wentz being flat out awful like Curtis painter awful.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wentz avoided a ton of sacks. I'd hate to think about Rivers under the type of pressures we saw this year. Like I said, look at Rivers 2019 stats when he saw that kind of pressure. He knew that team lol.. 

All in all, Wentz is not a short throw QB like Rivers. He's a level 2/3 guy. And that's hard to be when your OL is poor, and you're WRs don't get separation. 

At the end of the day, Wentz isn't going anywhere. And even if we were willing, the few good QBs in the league are mostly locked up. Best thing to do is accept reality, and improve the OL and pass catchers. And hopefully play calling.

I’d rather trade Carson to the Broncos, and make a run at ARod & Adams.  Maybe Frank could go with Carson?

This, a blowout, could have happened last week.   Before the half, the Raiders were driving to go up 17-3, got a penalty, settled for 3 and then kicked the ball out of bounds, giving it to us at the 40.  We got lucky.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Those were bad too but Wentz looked flat out lost out there like he didn’t know what he was looking at.  Time and time again he just sat there and held the ball until a Jag hit him.  Wentz has been awful the last two weeks and yes so have other things but those don’t offset Wentz being flat out awful like Curtis painter awful.

The play caller has to put the QB in a good position. The oline can’t allow pressure like they did today. He didn’t even have time to get to his second read. Look I am not saying he didn’t play bad Be did. Bur he also didn’t get any help either. This offense runs the same five plays every drive. It’s pathetic.

Archived