Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wright or Fleener?

Dtman513

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or we can go with an offensive player that can help out Andrew Luck... which is better if you ask me.

Agreed for the most part. Unless Janoris Jenkins somehow falls to 34 I don't see the Colts thinking about going defense in the 2nd round. With Fleener, Hill, Randle and maybe even Wright possibly available at 34 I see the colts adding a weapon for Luck in the 2nd round.

At 34 we better draft the player we perceive to be the best player on the board and projects to have the greatest career. We would be better served drafting a guy that can be a pro bowler than a guy that is just the best at his position in this draft. Why draft a guy just because he is a TE and played with the qb? Does that mean he will have a better career than say a DT that could be an all pro? Just because we need a TE doesn't make Fleener the best player in the draft for us. If Fleener is going to say turn out like Owen Daniels (because that is the evaluation that several analysts project his qualities similar to) or you have a guy that could be the next Rod Woodson or Bruce Smith or Reggie Wayne you take the guy that has the most upside even if you supposedly need a TE. We have 7 more draft picks to get a TE or WR or whatever. You simply take the player you think will have the best career and help the team the most. Maybe that is Fleener or Wright..or maybe that is some guy at LB or CB or RB. It is like someone's sig on here...you going to pass up on Michael Jordan just because you need a center? No. You don't pass up on a Kevin Durant because you need a center. You take the sure thing...you take the best player and you find a center or whatever you need some other way.

For all we know, we may go WR in Hill (or Wright) in round 2 followed by a defensive player and then Michael Egnew in round 4 (just a hypothetical example). Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernandez all went in round 3, so I agree with dgambill, you go with whoever you have rated higher. Need should not drive draft evaluation.

If Kevin Zeitler is rated higher compared to Fleener at No.34, I would not be mad at all if we went OG with Kevin Zeitler. Just my two cents.

actually I am starting to agree best player available I just hope those players I mentioned in my mock drafts will be their but I do believe the strategy of drafting the best player available works and filling the needs we have with proven players. unfortunately not any players in free agency would be an upgrade in what we got, at the same time to neglect our needs is dumb as well I am still pulling for Corner in the second round, My draft would fill needs as well as bring in talent and young talent at that

I would prefer the Colts take Fleener. I think there are more good WR's deeper in the draft. And with the signing of Avery I don't think they should use anything higher then a 4th on a WR. Plus if we don't take a good TE early we more then likely wont have one next season. They are not common through FA.

a rookie qb best friend is the tight end

Actually, a rookie QB's best friend is a good offensive line.

Personally, I hope we pick an OG with the #34 pick. This year's offensive guard class is just outstanding. It's not as sexy as taking an offensive skills player, but it will give you greater consistency and success in the long run. Just ask the Patriots....

That pick should be a balance between best available and needs. For the most part they should take the player they have rated the highest, unless they have someone rated just a few slots lower that is a position of need. In the later rounds you can take a flier on a guy at need position.

I think we act like we are going to rebuild in one season. This is going to take several years. I don't think we are going to rebuild and offense in one offseason. You take the best player available in each round and you can't go wrong. Eventually as you have enough pieces you trade up or target a position. Right now it may be incredible LB or G available at 34 and so you take him. If you draft great talent eventually you will have a team of talented players. If you just take a need you may end up with avg talent at all locations. We are so far away from having a playoff team that we really just need to get better at almost every position.

If the two were available and they were the top 2 bpa left. I would grade Wright above Fleener. Fleener is not 1st round talent imo and we can get just as good a TE later in the draft or a better one next year. Wright is 1st round talent and to get him in the second round to me would be a better value. That is just my opinion as everyone else may feel Fleener is more talented but I just disagree. I just have a hard time spending basically a late first round draft pick on a TE that has limitations in our offense. However, I don't know exactly what our offense is going to be. It will be different under Arians so if they determine the TE is critical to our success and Fleener is how on their board I wouldn't be upset.

Agree again people listen to this man BPA is the only way to go in draft.I was thinking needs also,but were not going to get the best talent the best players just picking needs.BPA for all picks suck it up this year use FAs next to fill the gaps and draft BPA next year and were right back at the top of AFC South.I know ive been wrong thinking just get what we need,but if getting needs means reaching for less talent Team will be less talented.Stop think would you grab a 3rd rounder at 34 because you need a TE?Or grab a 1st rounder at 34 like Janoris and get value out of your pick?

to all you guys who say we have to go best player available: BPA (talent-wise) means CB Janoris Jenkins if he´s there.

would you draft him over Wright/Fleener?

That doesn't necessarily make him the best player available. If we don't think he can stay on the field and be productive how would he be a future pro bowler or all pro type starter? No you take everything into consideration in evaluating bpa. That means injuries, off the field issues, production, system, and measurables and probably things they use to evaluate that we don't know. I don't care if we take a OG that is fine. If he projects to be the next Steve Hutchinson great. Whatever we do just get us players that will play at a high level. No one...and I mean no one we brought in from FA are pro bowlers or even truely definate starters. Even Redding perhaps our highest rated FA is simply an adequate player at DT. We need upgrades at every position. What we have to do is build this team from the ground up ELIMINATING needs as we go. When we have some great wrs or dt or lb then we move on to other positions but right now in the next couple years we just take the best player and put him in and build around it later.

As for the OP I think Wright rates higher on everyones board and has higher upside by everyone so that is why I would choose him. That said I wouldn't pass up another player just to take a WR or TE.

Take Wright over Fleener again Fleener is only rated 1 TE because of poor TEs in draft this year.Wright would bring far more talent than Fleener IMO.Take another TE in later rds they are all close to the same talent and get better blocking TEs than Fleener.

I still think trading down is the best option. Trade down and grab Kevin Zeitler in the 2nd and Dwayne Allen at the top of the 3rd. We would still have an additional 3rd round pick which would be BPA. But this way we get a TE and a monster at OG.

But to answer the question, im not sold on either prospect yet but id have to go Fleener just because there is more depth at WR in this draft.

I still think trading down is the best option. Trade down and grab Kevin Zeitler in the 2nd and Dwayne Allen at the top of the 3rd. We would still have an additional 3rd round pick which would be BPA. But this way we get a TE and a monster at OG.

But to answer the question, im not sold on either prospect yet but id have to go Fleener just because there is more depth at WR in this draft.

if we trade down then we lose a chance to get a top corner in the draft, which is a need, we can still get Dwayne Allen in the 3rd, although I would go wide receiver in the 3rd

if we trade down then we lose a chance to get a top corner in the draft, which is a need, we can still get Dwayne Allen in the 3rd, although I would go wide receiver in the 3rd

Well I still like Casey Hayward in the 4th. Plus we got some unproven guys on the team that could benefit with Pagano as a coach.

Well I still like Casey Hayward in the 4th. Plus we got some unproven guys on the team that could benefit with Pagano as a coach.

sooooooooo many needs and so many good arguments truth is we if ya want a starter at Corner ya go Jenkins second round, in the later round you will still get a wide receiver who can start thats just not the case with Corner this year their is 3-4 that could start at best same goes for defensive linemen many can start that will be available in the late to mid round, but I would go corner in the 2nd and wide receiver in the 3rd and Nose Tackle in the 4th, 5th I would go wide receiver and Tight End since we have two picks

I say Fleener because he's the best player at a postion of real need, and he has a good history with Luck. I think WR should be deep enough to get somebody good later on just based on BPA. I think next year is the year to look for a franchise WR.

Agreed..Fleener has worked with Luck for four years....

If by some miracle Fleener is not picked in the first round....No need to overthink this one....

2 guys with talent who have worked together...for years...

It would accelerate the growth of our offense...

Make it so.

At 34 we better draft the player we perceive to be the best player on the board and projects to have the greatest career. We would be better served drafting a guy that can be a pro bowler than a guy that is just the best at his position in this draft. Why draft a guy just because he is a TE and played with the qb? Does that mean he will have a better career than say a DT that could be an all pro? Just because we need a TE doesn't make Fleener the best player in the draft for us. If Fleener is going to say turn out like Owen Daniels (because that is the evaluation that several analysts project his qualities similar to) or you have a guy that could be the next Rod Woodson or Bruce Smith or Reggie Wayne you take the guy that has the most upside even if you supposedly need a TE. We have 7 more draft picks to get a TE or WR or whatever. You simply take the player you think will have the best career and help the team the most. Maybe that is Fleener or Wright..or maybe that is some guy at LB or CB or RB. It is like someone's sig on here...you going to pass up on Michael Jordan just because you need a center? No. You don't pass up on a Kevin Durant because you need a center. You take the sure thing...you take the best player and you find a center or whatever you need some other way.

You ALWAYS draft for need..

We dont know who is going to be great...in advance

Dont draft Luck 1st and then another QB second.....there's no need

We do not have an NFL-caliber pass catching tight end...

Just do it.

and he'd be wrong.......Clark was Peyton's 'sure' thing'

Fleener can be that to Luck...

I just hope he gets near the #34 pick..

No he wouldn't. Manning could count on Harrison and Wayne just as much if not more at times than he could clark. The chemistry they had couldn't be touched by almost any other QB to WR/TE target.

No he wouldn't. Manning could count on Harrison and Wayne just as much if not more at times than he could clark. The chemistry they had couldn't be touched by almost any other QB to WR/TE target.

agreed and actually it wasnt ALMOST they couldnt be touched by any other target. Manning to Harrison happened more times then anyone else in the history of the nfl as for combination Quarterback to Wide Receiver or Tight End, but that does make me think imagine if Brady had Gronkowski his entire career now that is also a scary thought

I just don't think that a TE that is weak in the blocking game is what we need right now. If this was a few years ago and we had a luxury pick to make the offense more potent and we needed to replace Clark I would be all for it. I just feel that we should be looking to build this team on protection and running the ball on offense. We can still have that sure handed TE target but one that helps more in other areas of the game. We look for WRs to be our playmakers in the passing game. I think the NE thing is just not something you can easily copy. If anything Fleener more closely resembles Hernandez and not Gronkowski. It just think Fleener is highly overvalued. Watching his tapes I think he is a late 2nd to early 3rd round prospect and don't understand why everyone is so high on the kid. I know we have only 1TE under contract but I don't necessarily think you have to over reach for one. There will be solid prospects in rounds 3 and 4 and depth in rounds 6 and 7.

I just don't think that a TE that is weak in the blocking game is what we need right now. If this was a few years ago and we had a luxury pick to make the offense more potent and we needed to replace Clark I would be all for it. I just feel that we should be looking to build this team on protection and running the ball on offense. We can still have that sure handed TE target but one that helps more in other areas of the game. We look for WRs to be our playmakers in the passing game. I think the NE thing is just not something you can easily copy. If anything Fleener more closely resembles Hernandez and not Gronkowski. It just think Fleener is highly overvalued. Watching his tapes I think he is a late 2nd to early 3rd round prospect and don't understand why everyone is so high on the kid. I know we have only 1TE under contract but I don't necessarily think you have to over reach for one. There will be solid prospects in rounds 3 and 4 and depth in rounds 6 and 7.

The killer though is Arians uses TEs, not FBs, so unless he changes how he runs an offense, the Colts will need to find two, not one TE. I think we all know what we have in Eldridge. It would be nice to have one receiving threat at that position. If they don't select Fleener at 34, or if he's gone, I think they have to grab two with later picks, and maybe invite a couple more UDFAs too. If they take Fleener at 34, I could see them finding another in the UDFA pile, and not having to use another pick later. But they need bodies. With all the other needs, it's a bad time to hav e a guy like Arians and his propensity to use two and three TE formations, since the Colts have one, and it's Eldridge.

You ALWAYS draft for need..

We dont know who is going to be great...in advance

Dont draft Luck 1st and then another QB second.....there's no need

We do not have an NFL-caliber pass catching tight end...

Just do it.

The bolded part simply could not be more wrong.

The killer though is Arians uses TEs, not FBs, so unless he changes how he runs an offense, the Colts will need to find two, not one TE. I think we all know what we have in Eldridge. It would be nice to have one receiving threat at that position. If they don't select Fleener at 34, or if he's gone, I think they have to grab two with later picks, and maybe invite a couple more UDFAs too. If they take Fleener at 34, I could see them finding another in the UDFA pile, and not having to use another pick later. But they need bodies. With all the other needs, it's a bad time to hav e a guy like Arians and his propensity to use two and three TE formations, since the Colts have one, and it's Eldridge.

If that is the case then I change my view. I will be honest that I never knew Pittsburg ran so many sets with multiple TEs. I still think Fleener has much much to improve in the blocking game and not very happy with that part of his game but if two TE sets is to be an actual part of this offense then I honestly didn't expact that. The thing is as of right now I just don't think Fleener can be an every down player with his inability to be affective in the run game. He was a poor blocker in college and these guys are just bigger and stronger. I will be honest an say I was unaware how Arians had used his TEs. I've seen a lot of Heath Miller blocking and catching short passes. I felt Eldridge and a middle round TE would be fine for that. Last year seemed to be a change in Pittsburgh's philosophy as they did pass more. Is that because they didn't have a very good line and running attack and so they let Big Ben their biggest weapon throw or because of a real change in philosophy. Guess we will find out. I still feel more comfortable taking Fleener later...perhaps trading down 5 or 6 spots and getting or swapping a pick later but if that is how Arians wants to run the offense I guess I can be supportive. That said...Fleener does not fit any of Pittsburghs previous TEs who often will even motion back and play fullback. Fleener can not do that.

If that is the case then I change my view. I will be honest that I never knew Pittsburg ran so many sets with multiple TEs. I still think Fleener has much much to improve in the blocking game and not very happy with that part of his game but if two TE sets is to be an actual part of this offense then I honestly didn't expact that. The thing is as of right now I just don't think Fleener can be an every down player with his inability to be affective in the run game. He was a poor blocker in college and these guys are just bigger and stronger. I will be honest an say I was unaware how Arians had used his TEs. I've seen a lot of Heath Miller blocking and catching short passes. I felt Eldridge and a middle round TE would be fine for that. Last year seemed to be a change in Pittsburgh's philosophy as they did pass more. Is that because they didn't have a very good line and running attack and so they let Big Ben their biggest weapon throw or because of a real change in philosophy. Guess we will find out. I still feel more comfortable taking Fleener later...perhaps trading down 5 or 6 spots and getting or swapping a pick later but if that is how Arians wants to run the offense I guess I can be supportive. That said...Fleener does not fit any of Pittsburghs previous TEs who often will even motion back and play fullback. Fleener can not do that.

Here is a non-mainstream media (blogger) view of Arian's offense while with the Steelers:

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/january/the-steelers-view-of-bruce-arians.html

This, of course, is not perhaps any more relevant than your opinion or mine, and the Steelers TE stats in his tenure weren't exaclty stellar. But last year Miller had over 50 catches in over 70 targets, and Johnson and Saunders added 13 additional catches for the TE position, so they used three, two primarily, with only one being a real receiving threat.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

But that gets directly to my concern. I am fine with Eldridge as the block first, handful of catches, do the dirty work guy. But he, I don't think, is capable of having a 50+ catch season. I think the Colts need to find that kind of player in this draft, or some other way, before the season starts.