Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wright or Fleener?

Dtman513

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sold on Wright even though he's been ranked as the 3rd best WR in the draft. He looks like a good slot guy who has a knack for getting open, but not exactly elite speed. So does that translate to the NFL?

I'll take Fleener, instantaneous chemistry.

I say Fleener because he's the best player at a postion of real need, and he has a good history with Luck. I think WR should be deep enough to get somebody good later on just based on BPA. I think next year is the year to look for a franchise WR.

Kendall Wright, hands down. He is more ready for now since he is a slot wideout that you can spread out that makes tough catches in traffic. To be honest, based on the wideouts we have in Donnie Avery, Jarred Fayson, Jeremy Ross, Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie - we have more outside wideouts than slot wideouts after letting go of Gonzo and White. I dont know the system to intelligently say one way or the other but if we play our wideouts interchangeably like before, on the outside and moving to the slot occasionally, Kendall Wright will be the more readier player, IMO. Ultimately, it depends on whether you think Kendall Wright is versatile enough to play outside as well, even if he starts off in the slot.

Unless we play the same system as Stanford, the chemistry between Luck and Fleener may be an overrated factor, IMO.

If we become a system like the Giants where the TEs block more than receive, we dont have to follow the Gronk and Graham model. A 4th round TE with decent hands would suffice for us while using 3 WRs (or even 4 WRs like Arians did in Pitt) most of the time.

To me, for a rebuilding team, need should not drive the No.34 pick. BPA should. From the No.65, maybe.

I'd take Wright. He is a much better value. I would much rather take a guy that is projected first round talent over one projected 2nd round but moving up because there are few TEs this year. We can take a TE later or next year. You take the best player because we have needs everywhere. We can get close to equal value for Fleener in the 3rd round if we want a TE early...you can't get close to Wright's talent later..no way. That said I think they are both off the board.

And I very much like the arguement of having blocking TEs. That means you don't have to change personal when running or passing imo. Makes it difficult for the defense to determine by formations what we are doing. I like the idea of moving receivers around too. I like the idea of moving Collie/Wayne into the slot or Wright to the outside to get them open. I think Wright is a special receiver worthy of the pick.

Between the two, Fleener. I like Wright, but I dislike his height. I would prefer the Colts find larger targets. I have the same concerns with Wright as I do RG3 - a lot of success in college spread offenses doesn't always translate to the pros real well. I also agree with Dr. T above, and see a large set of WRs who are similar who the Colts could trade down to get. And the Colts have to find at least one TE in this draft or UDFA, and getting the best one at 34 would be ok by me. All that said, if the Colts ended up with Fleener/Sanu or Wright/Allen, it might be a wash. Point is, as long as the Colts end up with a WR/TE combo in this draft - in the top half of the draft - I'm going to be happy. I think they have to get both.

I think we act like we are going to rebuild in one season. This is going to take several years. I don't think we are going to rebuild and offense in one offseason. You take the best player available in each round and you can't go wrong. Eventually as you have enough pieces you trade up or target a position. Right now it may be incredible LB or G available at 34 and so you take him. If you draft great talent eventually you will have a team of talented players. If you just take a need you may end up with avg talent at all locations. We are so far away from having a playoff team that we really just need to get better at almost every position.

If the two were available and they were the top 2 bpa left. I would grade Wright above Fleener. Fleener is not 1st round talent imo and we can get just as good a TE later in the draft or a better one next year. Wright is 1st round talent and to get him in the second round to me would be a better value. That is just my opinion as everyone else may feel Fleener is more talented but I just disagree. I just have a hard time spending basically a late first round draft pick on a TE that has limitations in our offense. However, I don't know exactly what our offense is going to be. It will be different under Arians so if they determine the TE is critical to our success and Fleener is how on their board I wouldn't be upset.

Fleener.

A great scoring receiver, chemistry with our rookie QB and the added bonus of ancillary blocking for the running game and the protection of our passer. Last year we saw how much a bad blocking TE can affect a QB's performance when trying to run play-action. Though Fleener's blocking is considered suspect going to the NFL level.

Yep, Fleener.

I am surprised at the validity that is shown towards draft prognosticators. There are a few exceptions like Gil Brandt, but for the most part, if these guys were that good they would be working on a staff...not writing about it. After the top 10 or 15 picks....the next 50-75 are so close you can practically flip a coin because coach, environment, scheme, friends/influences, local town night life, and a whole host of other factors that will have far more effect on a kid reaching his "projected draft ranking" than the number he is taken at.

Coby "The Seam-er" Fleener. I don't think Kendal Wright will translate well in the NFL. He doesn't have the speed people thought he had going for him. I mean he's still fast but not as expected and his height is a big issue. All small WR like him have 4.3 speed ala Harvin, Jackson, S Smith.

Sports Illustrated, Peter King, thinks Giants wont draft Fleener because he cant block. Chances of him falling to 34 is really good.

Saw this on rotoworld as well. Looks like he may have a good shot of being available as I thought the Giants were the team most likely to draft him.