Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too Early Draft Analysis and Mock Off-Season

Looks like we’re going to have 5th and 7th Round compensatory picks this year, no first rounder, and we traded our 6th down to a 7th for Matt Pryor (good move).  So  2,3,4,5,5,7,7,7.  I always start out with a rudimentary analysis of every position on the roster, even if I don’t write it down or post it.  Thought I'd post it this time…

QB:  Don’t see too much of a need here.  We’ve got Ehlinger developing, and Wentz has earned his status as long-term starter.  Ballard can fill in the TC roster here without a 3rd consecutive year of drafting one.

RB: Taylor and Hines are signed for a few more years.  Mack'll be gone.  We seem to like Dion as a #3 or #4.  I think another drafted back-up is in order.  Don’t want to overdraft due to the overwhelming % of reps that will go to Taylor and Hines regardless of additional depth.  7th or 5th Rounder.

WR: We have an interesting puzzle at WR.  We have talent, but the O would have benefitted from some more productive options on the field this year.  TY is probably done.  Pascal had a down year, and I wouldn’t feel too bad about letting him go.  I’d plan on Dulin coming back and being the initial #2 outside WR, and I’d feel pretty good about Patmon and Strachan backing him and Pittman up.  But I’d feel bad about the slot.  Campbell will come to TC as the starter, but I have no confidence in his availability due to injury.  I think we need a high draft pick at slot receiver.  2nd to 4th Rounder.

TE: Granson has a future as a move guy, but Doyle and Mo-Allie are getting up there in years and haven’t been overly productive the past couple of years.  I feel like it’s a decent group, and maybe it’s a year early to go replacing either of the oldsters.  It doesn’t seem like TE will be a very high priority in this draft, but I wouldn’t rule out a late pick .  I also wouldn’t be surprised by an opportunistic plucking of a productive TE from the FA market.   Possible 7th Rounder.

OL:  Weak link though he’s been, I’d re-sign Fisher for two more years.  It’s hard to find a LT.  But I’d definitely add an early draft pick to compete for the starting LT position next year.  Tough to draft an immediate successor without a 1st rounder.  OT: 2nd to 4th Rounder.  As for the interior, both Glowinski and Reed are 32-YO UFAs, and Pinter and Pryor would be capable starters.  I think we bring back one of the FAs (probably Reed b/c he’d be cheaper), and have a three-way competition for RG.  However, you gotta keep the depth coming.  Since Pryor will likely be primarily a backup OT, I’d strongly consider drafting a late OG.  OG: 7th or 5th Rounder.

CB: I think Rhodes’ time is up.  Both Moore and Rodgers are probably best in the slot, but can do outside.  And Ya-Sin has been a stud this year.  We’re doing alright, but we really need another boundary guy developing (or possibly starting right away) out there.  It’d be nice to see a Carrie-like veteran depth piece added too.   2nd to 4th Rounder.

S: All set with Blackmon and Willis, and Odum should come back and be the primary backup.  I’d love to have a young backup developing in case our starters make a habit of missing a lot of time.  5th Rounder.

LB: With Leonard making big $ and a decision to be made soon on Okereke (our leading tackler), we need cheap depth on rookie contracts.  I feel like Ballard is good at drafting the position, so maybe a mid- to late-round LB shot is warranted (especially since Glasgow hasn’t shown any positional promise).  5th or 7th Rounder.

DE:  We didn’t effectively ladder our depth here.  Sure, Kwity and Dayo will be here as starters, but Lewis, Kemoko, Muhammed, and Rochelle are all UFAs.  I think we’d like them all back, but they’ll all be subject to the whacky FA market.  I’m guessing we’ll prioritize Tyquan and/or Muhammed, but it’s anyone’s guess how the veteran depth will turn out.  A late rounder to help flesh things out might be nice.  Possible 7th Rounder.

DT:  Similar to DE, the starters are locked up, but the depth are FAs.  This is an area that Ballard has been really effective in filling out the depth with cheap street veterans.  My gut tells me that this won’t be a draft priority, since Ballard has confidence in his ability to find people to contribute.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stallworth back, or Chris Williams take a role next year.  Possible 5th or 7th Rounder.

Special Teams: Not worried about any of it.

So, if you’ve kept track, my draft plan would be:

Rounds 2-4: OT, WR, and CB (preferably in that order)

Round 5: S and one of the following – RB, OG, LB, or DT

Round 7: the remaining three from RB, OG, LB, and DT, plus the possibility of TE or DE.

My Off-season Projection

UFAs: TE Zach Ertz (Cardinals), CB Justin Coleman (Dolphins), DT Kyle Peko (Titans)

Re-Sign: OT Fisher, OG Reed, WR Dulin, DE Lewis, DE Rochelle, DT Stallworth, LB Franklin, S Odum

Let Walk: WR TY (retire), WR Pascal, OG Glowinski, RB Mack, OT Davenport, DE Turray, DE Muhammad, LB Adams, CB Rhodes

Draft:

2) Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan. 

3) Ainias Smith, WR, Texas A&M.

4) Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati.

5) Troy Anderson, LB, Montana St.  (My current draft crush.)

5) Isaiah Pola-Moa, S, USC (Troy Polumalu’s nephew, I believe)

7) Blaise Andries, OG, Minnesota.

7) Abram Smith, RB, Baylor.

7) Deslin Alexandre, DT/DE, Pittsburgh.

I disagree with the notion that TE won’t be a huge priority in the draft. Zach Ertz isn’t worth the money considering how many contract situations we have to sort out. More efficient to draft a guy and have him cheap for 3-4 years. And this TE class is insane.

12 hours ago, Archer said:

Looks like we’re going to have 5th and 7th Round compensatory picks this year, no first rounder, and we traded our 6th down to a 7th for Matt Pryor (good move).  So  2,3,4,5,5,7,7,7.  I always start out with a rudimentary analysis of every position on the roster, even if I don’t write it down or post it.  Thought I'd post it this time…

QB:  Don’t see too much of a need here.  We’ve got Ehlinger developing, and Wentz has earned his status as long-term starter.  Ballard can fill in the TC roster here without a 3rd consecutive year of drafting one.

RB: Taylor and Hines are signed for a few more years.  Mack'll be gone.  We seem to like Dion as a #3 or #4.  I think another drafted back-up is in order.  Don’t want to overdraft due to the overwhelming % of reps that will go to Taylor and Hines regardless of additional depth.  7th or 5th Rounder.

WR: We have an interesting puzzle at WR.  We have talent, but the O would have benefitted from some more productive options on the field this year.  TY is probably done.  Pascal had a down year, and I wouldn’t feel too bad about letting him go.  I’d plan on Dulin coming back and being the initial #2 outside WR, and I’d feel pretty good about Patmon and Strachan backing him and Pittman up.  But I’d feel bad about the slot.  Campbell will come to TC as the starter, but I have no confidence in his availability due to injury.  I think we need a high draft pick at slot receiver.  2nd to 4th Rounder.

TE: Granson has a future as a move guy, but Doyle and Mo-Allie are getting up there in years and haven’t been overly productive the past couple of years.  I feel like it’s a decent group, and maybe it’s a year early to go replacing either of the oldsters.  It doesn’t seem like TE will be a very high priority in this draft, but I wouldn’t rule out a late pick .  I also wouldn’t be surprised by an opportunistic plucking of a productive TE from the FA market.   Possible 7th Rounder.

OL:  Weak link though he’s been, I’d re-sign Fisher for two more years.  It’s hard to find a LT.  But I’d definitely add an early draft pick to compete for the starting LT position next year.  Tough to draft an immediate successor without a 1st rounder.  OT: 2nd to 4th Rounder.  As for the interior, both Glowinski and Reed are 32-YO UFAs, and Pinter and Pryor would be capable starters.  I think we bring back one of the FAs (probably Reed b/c he’d be cheaper), and have a three-way competition for RG.  However, you gotta keep the depth coming.  Since Pryor will likely be primarily a backup OT, I’d strongly consider drafting a late OG.  OG: 7th or 5th Rounder.

CB: I think Rhodes’ time is up.  Both Moore and Rodgers are probably best in the slot, but can do outside.  And Ya-Sin has been a stud this year.  We’re doing alright, but we really need another boundary guy developing (or possibly starting right away) out there.  It’d be nice to see a Carrie-like veteran depth piece added too.   2nd to 4th Rounder.

S: All set with Blackmon and Willis, and Odum should come back and be the primary backup.  I’d love to have a young backup developing in case our starters make a habit of missing a lot of time.  5th Rounder.

LB: With Leonard making big $ and a decision to be made soon on Okereke (our leading tackler), we need cheap depth on rookie contracts.  I feel like Ballard is good at drafting the position, so maybe a mid- to late-round LB shot is warranted (especially since Glasgow hasn’t shown any positional promise).  5th or 7th Rounder.

DE:  We didn’t effectively ladder our depth here.  Sure, Kwity and Dayo will be here as starters, but Lewis, Kemoko, Muhammed, and Rochelle are all UFAs.  I think we’d like them all back, but they’ll all be subject to the whacky FA market.  I’m guessing we’ll prioritize Tyquan and/or Muhammed, but it’s anyone’s guess how the veteran depth will turn out.  A late rounder to help flesh things out might be nice.  Possible 7th Rounder.

DT:  Similar to DE, the starters are locked up, but the depth are FAs.  This is an area that Ballard has been really effective in filling out the depth with cheap street veterans.  My gut tells me that this won’t be a draft priority, since Ballard has confidence in his ability to find people to contribute.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Stallworth back, or Chris Williams take a role next year.  Possible 5th or 7th Rounder.

Round 7: the remaining three from RB, OG, LB, and DT, plus the possibility of TE or DE.

My Off-season Projection

UFAs: TE Zach Ertz (Cardinals), CB Justin Coleman (Dolphins), DT Kyle Peko (Titans)

Re-Sign: OT Fisher, OG Reed, WR Dulin, DE Lewis, DE Rochelle, DT Stallworth, LB Franklin, S Odum

Let Walk: WR TY (retire), WR Pascal, OG Glowinski, RB Mack, OT Davenport, DE Turray, DE Muhammad, LB Adams, CB Rhodes

Draft:

I think you missed a re-sign?   I believe Pryor needs to be a priority player to bring back. 

@Archer -- After a little research and refinement, and knowing that this is pre-Combine and subject to a whole lot of changes, here's my alternative Draft, just for the first few picks:

Round 2 - Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida, 6-2 192#  Probably won't have the best 40-time at the combine, but possesses the size and length to play outside in the Tampa-2 scheme, where corners are required to make their own tackles, without help.  Ya-Sin, Rogers, and Moore will start, while TJ Carrie provides veteran depth and Elam learns to play at this level.  Rhodes will not be retained.

Round 3 - Wan'Dale Robinson, WR, Kentucky, 5-10 185#  Transferred to the Wildcats from Nebraska, with immediate big play results.  Diminutive in size, like TY, this guy sports 4.3+ speed.  Gets upfield in a hurry, and is slippery after the catch.  Good luck hanging on to him.  Yes, we expect TY to retire, and Campbell is still a question mark.  Need something more opposite Pittman's 1,000 yards on the other side.

Round 4 - Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin, 6-5 246#  Solidly built, and excels at being the extra offensive lineman.  Necessary for run-heavy schemes like ours.  Isn't a deep burner up the seam, but will rise to catch the contested jump ball.  Will be a good addition with the retirement of Jack Doyle.

Round 5 - Smoke Monday, S, Auburn, 6-2 196#  Violent tackler.  NSFW.  With Willis, Blackmon, and Odom ahead of him, Smoke will take Sendejo's enforcer role.  If he hits you, you won't have to ask who did it.  You'll know.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you missed a re-sign?   I believe Pryor needs to be a priority player to bring back. 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:15 AM, Archer said:

My Off-season Projection

Draft:

I like the write up

I also like the fact that you are taking a chance at tackle with our first pick

But......  I would only do this if he is truly BPA, and the kid has a chance to be a LT

We DO need the LT of the future.....

An additional  RT would be a waste on this team

As I have mentioned too much, we need to keep improving at DE

Our DEs are mostly average at best...... I hope our two rookies work out but there is NO WAY that I would go into next season hoping that one of our rookies become THAT guy........  I think we need some help

This is just too important to the success of this team to do the HOPE plan

Dayo can move inside on passing downs, we need a LDE with speed that gets actual pressure

He doesnt need to be all pro.... just someone that can add 5-6 sacks or more and rotate in at the DE spots

Tough call on Glow......  did you notice that he got better once he had someone pushing him?

I was hoping that Ertz would have been picked up this year by the Colts

I dont know that he will find a suitor at the high $$$ he has been wanting

I hope that we can get him

Lastly, I agree with NCF, we have to find a spot for Pryor

I havent watched enough of the game, but he seemed to hold his own over there at LT

Very well done and thought out @Archeras always.

Here's my following analysis:

OL: Eric Fisher at LT is still a big question and the team needs to address other areas with either a WR or CB in Round 2.  However, I am still high on LT Kellen Diesch (Arizona St).  Matt Pryor has earned a contract extension.  Glowinski came back on strong to end the year making a case to resign him.  Smith at RT has been a stud the past few weeks.  Got to feel bad for the Kelly family but the way Pinter has been playing got to wonder when Kelly gets replaced full-time.  I realize we talked about team chemistry in the past and not selling off players like Kelly.  With the emergence of Pinter and the OL playing well together we have that chemistry still intact and a move might help ease the pain starting over elsewhere for the Kelly family.

Top 3 trade partners see Dolphins 8-8 (Pick 20th via 49ers), Washington 6-10 (Pick 9th), or the Bears 6-10 (No 1st), while the Steelers 8-7-1 (Pick 17th) and the Seahawks 6-10 (No 1st) also viable trade candidates.  Miami estimated draft picks R1P22, R2P46, R3P86, R4P110, R4P113, R5P142, and R6P174 is the best option.  Probably try to get R1P22 or split years for Miami’s Round 2 picks.  The Dolphins top priority is to fix their OL front and Kelly would be an immediate upgrade which is what some are projecting Miami to do and get established NFL talent to guarantee improvements.

RB: Agree our primary backs are set barring a major injury.  Best mid-round targets are RB Dameon Pierce (Florida) had one of the highest rushing grades in 2021 and broke 39 tackles in limited action.  Max Borghi (Washington St) another one of my favorites who excels in both run/pass-catching.  Finally, thanks to you @Archer for making me a believer in RB Rachaad White (Arizona St).  Round 4-5 targets

WR: Really see a major overhaul this offseason.  Each round should have some good talent available.  Hard to pass on either of these two tackler breakers in Round 2 if available WR David Bell (Purdue) had 25 broken tackles next to leader with 26 WR Skyy Moore (Western Michigan).  If we are looking for a Slot WR than the human highlight reel of Khalil Shakir (Boise St) in Round 4 becomes a top target.  In Round 5 I like Romeo Dobbs who has the size and can create separation downfield.  Riech’s connection to Maryland should have Dontay Demus Jr. as a top target.  Demus would be an excellent X-receiver whose injury should drop him to mid-late rounds.

TE: I must admit Granson not looking too bad of a draft pick on par with MAC.  MAC I don’t see as a long term starter and with Granson and am assuming we don’t resign him and continue with Doyle for one more year.  Now if we do trade Kelly to the Dolphins for this year’s second round draft pick, we should have a realistic chance to draft Trey McBride.  I also wouldn’t be shocked to see us target Mike Gesicki in FA.

CB: Agree Rhodes time is up.  RYS has come around this year and proved his role as a starter.  Looks for us to target Kyler Gordon and/or Coby Bryant.  JoJo Domann of the Huskers also impressed me as a hybrid LB/S projecting to be more of a Slot CB.  Unlike most of the Husker defensive players Domann can actually tackle and has the range to track down players (Throw the Bones).

DL: We have a solid group already but do see some hit FA.  Depth players should be found cheap in FA and late in the draft.

SAF: The emergence of both Odum and Addae late in the season are bright spots of hope heading into next season.  Willis ran hot and cold and some of that obviously was due to injuries.  Other than targeting high-end tight ends in FA the other area we might look to acquire is SAF(s).  

Let Walk

CB Xavier Rhodes

S Andrew Sendejo

WR Zach Pascal

LT Julien Davenport

TE MAC

RB Marlon Mack – forgotten man

DE Kemoko Turay

LB Matthew Adams

CB Nick Nelson IR

K Michael Badgley – temp for Blankenship

LB Skai Moore – MIA

DL Robert Windsor

WR Quatney Davis - IR

Resigned Own FAs

LT Eric Fisher 8m

RG Mark Glowinski 8.3m

SS Jahleel Addae 1.1m

RDE AQM 6m

LG Chris Reed 3.5m

DL Isaac Rochell – overpriced 2.47m cap in 2021 would he resign cheap deal 1.25m?

DL Antwaun Woods 850k

RG Matt Pryor 4.5m – multi-positional player played very well

RDE Tyquan Lewis 2.1m

FS George Odum 2.8m more than a ST proved to be a capable starter

DL Taylor Stallworth 1.7m – struggled early in the season but proved to be a capable role-player

WR Ashton Dulin 1.5m played well in limited action

LB Zaire Franklin 1.25m – had a solid year in limited snaps but produced when needed

Draft:

2) via Dolphins RCB Kyler Gordon (Washington)

2) LT Kellen Diesch (Arizona St) 

3) CB Coby Bryant (Cincy)

4) WR Khalil Shakir (Boise St)

5) WR Dontay Demus Jr. (Maryland)  

5b) RB Dameon Pierce (Florida)

7) TE Derrick Deese Jr. (San Jose St)

7) DL Demetrius Taylor – (Appalachian St)

7) DL C.J. Brewer (Coastal Carolina)

As much as Pryor, Reed and Pinter have shown me, I’m leaning towards developing what we have and drafting only for depth at OT/OG on Day 3 (Max Mitchell of Louisiana Lafayette and Matt Waletzko of North Dakota are small school prospects to look at for swing tackle prospects). After seeing Leno’s contract, I expect Fisher to get a similar contract but for just 2 year through 2023. Our high pick for OT would then happen in 2023 draft, IMO, to transition from Fisher.

In other words, quality at WR and CB trump our OT needs if the above happens. @John Hammonds - I love Wandale Robinson but I feel we’ll have to get him with our 2nd rounder in this passing league. I also like Coby Bryant of Cincinnati or Kyler Gordon of Washington for our 3rd round pick.

Then Jake Ferguson of Wisconsin or Cole Turner of Nevada at TE would make a good addition in Rounds 4/5.

Nice write up @Archer as always.

Love me some OT Max Mitchell for a long time now.  Also thought his teammate RG O’Cyrus Torrence would opt for the draft but seen where he entered the transfer portal a few days ago.

Teams love run blocking wide receivers.  Just curious how well Jaivon Heiligh done to help Coastal Carolina dominate as a running team while still dominating as a pass catcher?  Heiligh might just end up being our Pascal replacement.  Coastal Carolina also had another key TE with Likely that shouldn’t be overlooked as well.  Treylon Burks of Arkansas might also be doable as a run blocking wide receiver.  

I need to watch more game videos of both Heiligh and Burks to see how they actually done in run blocking assignments.

Draft

Why not start off with a trade, the past few years Ballard has made moves in the draft and I kick off this Mock following this trend.

Trade with the Saints

Bradley Roby and Saints 2nd round pick

For

Colts 2nd round pick and 7th round pick 

Explanation for the Saints:this is a Salary dump of 9.5 million. 

Explanation for the Colts: we move up in the draft and gets a veteran CB in the process.

2nd Saints pick

Jermaine Johnson DE 6'5 260lbs

Former Last Chance U player. Johnson played OLB at Georgia before transferring to FSU and playing DE. He I'd athletic, fast and have an assortment of pass rushing moves.

3rd round pick

Romeo Doubs WR 6'2 200lbs 

He has the speed and ability to be a offensive weapon similar to debo Samuel and Cordarrelle Patterson 

4th round pick 

Cade Mays O-Line 6'6 325lbs

Nasty offensive guard out of Tennessee with the size of a offensive tackle.

5th round pick 

Akayleb Evans CB 6'2 198

Trade with the Dolphins 

Devante Parker 

For

Colts 5th and 7th round pick 

Explanation: Parker has been injured often, Dolphins get some draft picks for him.

Explanation for Colts: Veteran WR role filled after TY Hilton retirement 

TE/WR in round 2

TE/WS/FS in round 3.

Because of no 1st rounder and picking towards the later part of each round, not in a position to get a great LT/DE/DT type player in that part of the draft. Would rather draft safe, BPA, and take a playmaker. e.g. more AJ Brown, less Ban Banogu.

Just played with Fanspeak and came up with this for rounds 2-3. Would love this draft.

2 - TE - Trey McBride (6'4 260) - TE that has proven production in college (1000+ yards catching, enough size to block or catch, move the chains)

3 - WR - Wandale Robinson (5'11'' 185) - good slot receiver with proven production in college. Can become a DeSean Jackson type WR.

Archived