Big Ben says Monday likely his last game at Heinz

Gramz

Ben Roethlisberger: Monday night will likely be final game at Heinz Field

GERRY DULAC

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

gdulac@post-gazette.com

DEC 30, 2021

10:16 AM

Ben Roethlisberger said Monday night’s game against the Cleveland Browns is likely his final game at Heinz Field, his first public indication he will retire after the season — ending the longest and one of most decorated eras in Steelers history.

“All signs are pointing this is it,” Roethlisberger said Thursday morning at the team’s South Side facility. “In the grand scheme of things, the signs are pointing that way that this will be it.”

Roethlisberger stopped short of making any type of official retirement announcement, preferring to keep the focus on the game against the Browns and the need for a victory to keep alive the Steelers’ fading playoff hopes.

ADVERTISEMENT

But there is little doubt he will retire at age 39 after the season.

Paul Zeise

Paul Zeise's mailbag: Will the Steelers ever win another Super Bowl under Art Rooney II?

This was expected to be Roethlisberger’s final season with the Steelers after an 18-year career in which he won 163 regular season games, 13 playoff games and two Super Bowls. Only four quarterbacks in NFL history have won more Super Bowl titles, including former Steelers great Terry Bradshaw (4).

Roethlisberger is in the final year of a contract that was reworked after the 2020 season and offered only after much debate between owner Art Rooney II, coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert. Roethlisberger said he wanted to return for one more chance at winning a Super Bowl and even offered to “play for free” to help the Steelers’ cap situation.

However, nothing short of a run to the AFC championship game or Super Bowl was likely going to be enough to bring him back for the 2022 season.

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

Can't say I'm surprised.

I think the time has come for Ben to retire.

Yup I felt the same last year. I think he was ready to retire last year but came back because he thought they really could go all the way. Maybe also to try to stick around as long as Brady? I wonder what’s going on behind the scenes that is making him announce it this year instead of last.

Archived