Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1,000 yards for Pittman? Not a sure thing

John Hammonds

Our game vs the Patriots didn't do much to help Michael Pittman achieve the milestone 1,000 yards for the season.  Whether due to the Patriots great passing defense, or our run-heavy play calling, or getting tossed from the game, Pittman only got 1 reception for 7 yards.

This leaves him with 68 total receptions for 889 yards.  111 yards short of the target.  With three games left.

So, what's his trend?  How many yards per game does he normally get?

Last Five Games

JAX  5 receptions for 71 yards

BUF  2 receptions for 23 yards

TB   4 receptions for 53 yards

HOU  6 receptions for 77 yards

NE   1 reception for 7 yards

The teams coming up?

AZ has 7th best pass defense

LV has 12th best pass defense

JAX has 16th best pass defense

The crystal ball is cloudy.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Pittman comes into the last game vs Jacksonville with 50 yards needed.  And that ain't guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Our game vs the Patriots didn't do much to help Michael Pittman achieve the milestone 1,000 yards for the season.  Whether due to the Patriots great passing defense, or our run-heavy play calling, or getting tossed from the game, Pittman only got 1 reception for 7 yards.

This leaves him with 68 total receptions for 889 yards.  111 yards short of the target.  With three games left.

Last Five Games

The teams coming up?

The crystal ball is cloudy.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Pittman comes into the last game vs Jacksonville with 50 yards needed.  And that ain't guaranteed.

He is not good enough yet has to get alot better to be a true number 1 like cooper kupp

32 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Last Five Games

The teams coming up?

I like his chances. AZ's D is good no doubt, but LV and Jax aren't as good as the pass YPG suggests. They are 27th and 28th in passer rating allowed, and are 31st and 32nd in INTs. 

Purely my opinion, but teams just prefer to run on them, because it's easy. Low numbers vs AZ won't surprise me at all, but if we go into the LVR and Jax games with balanced game plans, I like Pitt's chances. If Reich uses the Houston or NE game plans, well nope lol.... Personally I'd hope that we do whatever it takes to beat AZ, but we should try and give JT a bit of a rest (not sit him, just less carries/snaps) in the last two games. Keep him fresh for the playoff run if we're fortunate enough to go. 

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

:agree: within the last two games Frank has done next to nothing with creativity to get the ball open to the Wr's against the Texans and pats which is really concerning imo

I'm perfectly fine with the NE game plan, although I would have gone after Mills and Dugger's replacement a bit instead of calling 1st reads at Jackson and McCourty lol. But the run heavy game plan was fine. I thought it was a little silly to run JT so much vs Houston though, especially late when the game was in hand. 

AZ will be a good test in both phases, on each side of the ball. Jax and LVR though, simply no reason to not have a balanced attack. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

His production has dropped since teams figured out he’s now the number one option in the passing game.  He needs another legit threat next to him but he also needs to step it up.

I’d say the team needs to step up it’s passing attack.    The Colts have shown little interest in the passing game fir at least a month.  Hard for Pittman to step up if we’re not throwing him the ball much.   

That said, I’d say he should be able to achieve the goal.   

I think Wentz has been a little behind Pittman on his throws the last few games.  It’s hard to catch a ball that’s thrown behind you when you’re running full speed on a crosser or deep corner or post route.  I noticed on Hard Knocks where Wentz said he wasn’t feeling like a spring chicken or something to that effect. I wonder if he’s a little dinged up and it’s throwing his mechanics off because his throws have been a little behind his targets?  

From the jump ball interception in the Bucs game to multiple others, if those throws are put more out in front, then Pittman would already have his 1000 yards and Wentz wouldn’t be getting all the grief he’s getting recently.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they get it figured out on Christmas and Pittman gets his 1000 yards vs the Cardinals.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I like his chances. AZ's D is good no doubt, but LV and Jax aren't as good as the pass YPG suggests. They are 27th and 28th in passer rating allowed, and are 31st and 32nd in INTs. 

Purely my opinion, but teams just prefer to run on them, because it's easy.

That makes me think of our defense a decade or so ago where we had a top ranked pass D, but it wasn't because they were that good, just that teams ran at will on us (the Fred Taylor/MJD days).

Teams will continue to double cover him to take him out of the equation.  Makes it harder for him and Wentz.  Other receivers need to step it up as they will be basically one on one with defenders.  Teams playing the run and doubling Pitt should be a recipe for success for other receivers but they just haven't produced yet.  

Frank suggests that Wentz, in a QB driven league, will have to pass the team to wins if we are going to be a playoff game winning team.

So... Frank and Brady will be focusing on getting the passing game tuned for the mission. I will be very surprised if Pittman doesn't have his 1000 yds in the next 2 games. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts have shown little interest in the passing game fir at least a month.

Yeah, right around the time everyone yelled at FR for throwing it 26 times in a row against the Bucs. Since then, JT is averaging 30 carries/game. Maybe a coincidence, the Texans can't stop the run, and the Pats have a really good pass defense, so these gameplans have been kind of obvious in their intent. The Cardinals aren't great against the run, either.

Also, Wentz missed Pittman on what would have been a huge gain last week. I'm sure there have been other misses as well. It happens. Just pointing out that it's not all just because teams have figured out how to stop him. There have still been big opportunities for him to produce, and I figure there will be more.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, right around the time everyone yelled at FR for throwing it 26 times in a row against the Bucs. Since then, JT is averaging 30 carries/game. Maybe a coincidence, the Texans can't stop the run, and the Pats have a really good pass defense, so these gameplans have been kind of obvious in their intent. The Cardinals aren't great against the run, either.

Also, Wentz missed Pittman on what would have been a huge gain last week. I'm sure there have been other misses as well. It happens. Just pointing out that it's not all just because teams have figured out how to stop him. There have still been big opportunities for him to produce, and I figure there will be more.

I just feel like that TY crossing route completion that Wentz had, I wish we would run more for other WRs as well or Hines as well, like Brady used to do with Shane Vereen. Cardinals use similar hybrid fronts where they use 3 safeties several times or lighter LBs in pass coverage. Hines would kill them every time they have those LBs, IMO, if only Frank ran such routes for him. Those are the throws I think Rivers hit a lot for a lot of YAC that Wentz could build upon now that the timing with the pass catchers should be better. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I just feel like that TY crossing route completion that Wentz had, I wish we would run more for other WRs as well or Hines as well, like Brady used to do with Shane Vereen. Cardinals use similar hybrid fronts where they use 3 safeties several times or lighter LBs in pass coverage. Hines would kill them every time they have those LBs, IMO, if only Frank ran such routes for him. Those are the throws I think Rivers hit a lot for a lot of YAC that Wentz could build upon now that the timing with the pass catchers should be better. 

Using Hines more in the passing game would be great. Wentz hasn't had a quick trigger, which I think is part of it. We could run a lot more drag/mesh concepts IMO.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This. I remember when we got  Wentz there were people who said he  didn’t throw crossing  routes well and how that was a staple in the colts offense. So either Reich isn’t calling them as much or Wentz isn’t hitting them well. This is one reason pascal hasn’t played well. Pittman was a monster at crossers with rivers. So is Reich not calling them because he is trying to cater to Wentz strength more? I don’t know. This is a clear area that needs to be worked on by Wentz in the off season. Crossing routes are so hard to defend. Getting a true slot receiver would help.

I don’t care if we have zero passing yards for the rest of the season as long as we win.  Let Taylor and Hines pound them to oblivion with extra O line and TE help if needed.  Next season we can work on finding a compliment to Pittman.

I do feel like we aren’t utilizing TY enough but he’s realistically gone after this season anyway.

23 hours ago, Shive said:

That makes me think of our defense a decade or so ago where we had a top ranked pass D, but it wasn't because they were that good, just that teams ran at will on us (the Fred Taylor/MJD days).

I don't think either are horrible vs the pass, but the YPG rank is just very misleading. Both teams are near the bottom in points per game allowed, so just not very good overall. 

After the AZ game, I hope we're really balanced on O vs both LVR and Jax. Need to keep JT fresh. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:12 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I’d say the team needs to step up it’s passing attack.    The Colts have shown little interest in the passing game fir at least a month.  Hard for Pittman to step up if we’re not throwing him the ball much.   

That said, I’d say he should be able to achieve the goal.   

In all fairness though, just a couple months back we were screaming that they were throwing the ball too much and not utilizing Taylor enough (which we were). A lot of these recent wins have come from Carson not forcing the ball to Pittman like he was always doing early in the year.

What we do need to do it’s not just save Pittman as a home run threat. He’s a polished WR for his size. They need to have him run more underneath stuff and put him in the slot some.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:31 AM, GoColts8818 said:

His production has dropped since teams figured out he’s now the number one option in the passing game.  He needs another legit threat next to him but he also needs to step it up.

TY needs to step things up drastically

Archived