Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Pats at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I disagree about Wentz. He is a game manager at the very least. The problem is the fact that we have a shell of himself in Hilton, Pittman (who was shut down by Phillips), Dulin and a ghost of himself in Pascal. Nobody is getting open. If there is nobody open who is Wentz supposed to throw too?

Rewatch the game, our guys simply weren't getting any separation!

Did you also see where two of Patriots QBs. Average sub 30 QBRs when targeted? That’s tough to beat

10 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

I still think he's good, he's lacking good weapons. But I never thought we has great. My concern is that he's not a top 15 QB, so eventualy we will need to still search for a long term/franchise QB

I don’t think we’ll be looking for our next quarterback for a good number of years…..

2 minutes ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

Why did we waste a 1st round pick on Wentz? We win in spite of him and he has cost us at least three games. He threw 12 times in this game and had one pick and a defender dropped a pick 6. We could have kept jacoby and our pick and be in this exact same spot. 

Lol. Nope

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Wentz made some good plays and some bad. He used his feet for some big first downs, not to mention the sneaks. 

Agreed. He wasn't great but it happens especially against a defense like the Pats. He made some plays when we needed them.

I'm more concerned about the kicking game myself. Those 2 missed FG's nearly cost us this game just like the Ravens game. Need a consistent kicker. 

3 minutes ago, WhyMclovin94 said:

Why did we waste a 1st round pick on Wentz? We win in spite of him and he has cost us at least three games. He threw 12 times in this game and had one pick and a defender dropped a pick 6. We could have kept jacoby and our pick and be in this exact same spot. 

gary busey crazy person GIF

Statement win! When we play our game, (unleashing JT, playing good defense & special teams) there isn't a team in the league that we can't beat. We've taken a big step towards the playoffs and if we win next week, I  think we get in with just 1 win in our final 2 games.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think we’ll be looking for our next quarterback for a good number of years…..

Yep. We get him some receiver help and keep the pocket clean and he’ll take care of the rest. Heck, if we can just get Campbell to stay healthy that would be tremendous. I’m looking forward to an off-season where we aren’t searching for a QB.

Just now, Coltsfan98 said:

Agreed. He wasn't great but it happens especially against a defense like the Pats. He made some plays when we needed them.

I'm more concerned about the kicking game myself. Those 2 missed FG's nearly cost us this game just like the Ravens game. Need a consistent kicker. 

We only had 1 miss I thought? He missed an earlier one that the Patriots jumped off sides on and made the 2nd attempt

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I disagree about Wentz. He is a game manager at the very least. The problem is the fact that we have a shell of himself in Hilton, Pittman (who was shut down by Phillips), Dulin and a ghost of himself in Pascal. Nobody is getting open. If there is nobody open who is Wentz supposed to throw too?

Rewatch the game, our guys simply weren't getting any separation!

I *think* it was a second down where Wentz went to Pittman on the sideline who was heavily covered, but he had Pascal underneath pretty open and he still threw it to Pittman.  He has to take what's given to him.

Overall not a terrible game by Wentz.  The pick was a bonehead play, but he used his legs tonight and got yardage and kept the clock running.

Man did that feel good!!!!!!

Thoughts on the game

Taylor is the MVP.  Dude won this game when his QB threw for less than 60 yards against supposedly the best team in the AFC.

Defense played some of the most inspired football I have seen from them in a longtime.  They got a little a shaky in the 4th but hey hard to be perfect for 60 minutes.

The special teams unit is an unsung hero of this team.

Hot Rod will be back Christmas Day, one kink in the Colts armor tonight on special teams.  
Frank out coached BB.  
I hope both guys are okay with that wicked hit with Sendejo. 

Tight ends might be this teams undoing.  Leonard is about an inch away on a lot of those plays it’s so close.  
Hats off to the oline and Pinter.  Several times tonight the Colts went right behind him including several QB sneaks where they were going behind him and big Q.  
Can we please stop saying Leonard is over paid?  Yes I know he struggles in pass coverage at times but he is so good at everything else it’s not even funny.

The crowd brought it.  Also I saw something on here this week about wondering if the team understood this rivalry.  There is no question they did.  You could tell from the first snap this game meant just a little something extra to them.

Like I said, I’m ecstatic, I love our run game. And I respect our defense to hold the opposition reasonably.

But I can’t hide the fact that I’m still curious about Wentz  He threw a couple would be picks before his first int, and just seemed to make some risky decisions in general. 

At the same time he got us a few crucial QB sneaks and runs.

Offense:  good game despite the 3rd and I put that on Reich.  The playcalling was horrendous and got the pats right back in the game.  Offensive line won us this game.  They man handled the pats defensive line.

defense:  great game by them.  Flus soft playcalling in the 3rd caused us to lose momentum.  We have to find a way to defend the seams better.  Not worried about that long catch in the 4th.  Rhodes played good coverage.  He just has to make that play on the ball.

special teams:  not much to say.  Great job.  However, we need a kicker that can hit a 49 yarder.  We’re gonna need that in the playoffs.

side notes:

That is why you don’t give up on the run even if the defense is selling out.  It’s a reason why Henry usage was so high and his YPC was a little low.  The run should beat up the defense.  Even if the defense begin to stop it, don’t give up on it.  All it takes is one run to break it wide open and it happened for us at the best time.

reich has to get over his infatuation with wentz.  No excuse why in the 3rd we went away from Taylor.  People on the board said for TB game we went to the pass because it was working.  Can’t say that for this game because the run was working and Reich still chose to go away from it.  I have a feeling it’s gonna cost us in the playoffs.

but good we got this win.  If we had lost after being up 20-0 idk what this board would’ve done

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Man did that feel good!!!!!!

Thoughts on the game

Taylor is the MVP.  Dude won this game when his QB threw for less than 60 yards against supposedly the best team in the AFC.

Defense played some of the most inspired football I have seen from them in a longtime.  They got a little a shaky in the 4th but hey hard to be perfect for 60 minutes.

The special teams unit is an unsung hero of this team.

Hot Rod will be back Christmas Day, one kink in the Colts armor tonight on special teams.  
Frank out coached BB.  
I hope both guys are okay with that wicked hit with Sendejo. 

Tight ends might be this teams undoing.  Leonard is about an inch away on a lot of those plays it’s so close.  
Hats off to the oline and Pinter.  Several times tonight the Colts went right behind him including several QB sneaks where they were going behind him and big Q.  
Can we please stop staying Leonard is over paid?  Yes I know he struggles in pass coverage at times but he is so good at everything else it’s not even funny.

If you’d told me that Wentz would finish the game with 5/12 and only 60 yards and we still would win, I’d be demanding to know what his injury was. If I believed ya at all.

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Offense:  good game despite the 3rd and I put that on Reich.  The playcalling was horrendous and got the pats right back in the game.  Offensive line won us this game.  They man handled the pats defensive line.

defense:  great game by them.  Flus soft playcalling in the 3rd caused us to lose momentum.  We have to find a way to defend the seams better.  Not worried about that long catch in the 4th.  Rhodes played good coverage.  He just has to make that play on the ball.

special teams:  not much to say.  Great job.  However, we need a kicker that can hit a 49 yarder.  We’re gonna need that in the playoffs.

side notes:

That is why you don’t give up on the run even if the defense is selling out.  It’s a reason why Henry usage was so high and his YPC was a little low.  The run should beat up the defense.  Even if the defense begin to stop it, don’t give up on it.  All it takes is one run to break it wide open and it happened for us at the best time.

reich has to get over his infatuation with wentz.  No excuse why in the 3rd we went away from Taylor.  People on the board said for TB game we went to the pass because it was working.  Can’t say that for this game because the run was working and Reich still chose to go away from it.  I have a feeling it’s gonna cost us in the playoffs.

but good we got this win.  If we had lost after being up 20-0 idk what this board would’ve done

We’d probably be burning stakes and waiving pitch forks outside 56th street

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

side notes:

Yeah, I think Blankenship will be back now bye bye Badgley. 

You can’t be a “bad” QB with the season stats Wentz has had.  Come on people.  And  give credit for his bullying forward for three big 4th Down conversions - something many QBs (especially Philip Rivers) could not do.  Poor game overall for Wentz?  Not his best except we won which is kind of the point.  Oh, and the hitting tonight was out of this world - that was playoff caliber.  

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We need more passing weapons and Wentz needs to play smarter. He did exactly what I was scared of and forced it to Pittman when other guys wrrr open.

Defense and Taylor played so well so at least the passing game did not matter.

Campbell is pretty close we’d need in the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, #12. said:

Frank going away from the run, Eberflus going charmin is a formula to blow any lead.  Thankfully Taylor broke one.  Not sure they win, if he hadn't.

Wait, what??

Wentz threw 12 freakin' times.  12!!  ...Over 4 quarters!  How is that going away from the run??

4 minutes ago, fatboy said:

You can’t be a “bad” QB with the season stats Wentz has had.  Come on people.  And  give credit for his bullying forward for three big 4th Down conversions - something many QBs (especially Philip Rivers) could not do.  Poor game overall for Wentz?  Not his best except we won which is kind of the point.  Oh, and the hitting tonight was out of this world - that was playoff caliber.  

The Colts were definitely laying the wood out there tonight.  They were laying Pats out all over the field. Sedenyo particularly.  Darius had a posterizing stiff arm on that pick!  Great night to be a Colts fan. 

26 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'm not of the opinion Wentz is bad, but Frank certainly needs to recognize when he's off.  He was off tonight from the first pass.  When he's off and you have 17-20 point lead, just run the damn ball, finish it out and take the W.

That’s what they did…

Carson threw 12 times and three of them where in the first drive. What did you really think they would go the rest of the game without throwing the ball at all?  The fact they only threw nine times over the next 48 plays proves that Frank did exactly what you are calling for him to do.

• Getting a 67 yard TD run in that down and distance, stacked box, and obviously wanting to kill clock was pretty lucky.  A smart coach would have passed the ball if his GM could figure out what proper WR talent Looks like.
  • Wentz threw it 12 times, but some still find a way to criticize play calling.  NE simply has a good defense.
  • NE got pretty lucky with some completions in the 4th quarter as the Colts defenders had good position.
  • The Colts have given up the middle on defense for about 7 years now, through two regimes.  Need better talent (but were a bit unlucky tonight).
  • Bagley has been shaky all season, many good kicks aren't solid.
  • Nice to see Leonard and Oke make a play.

Great win.  Great game preparation coming off the bye.  Better than BB.

And Rodgers continues to look like he belongs.

8 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Wait, what??

Wentz threw 12 freakin' times.  12!!  ...Over 4 quarters!  How is that going away from the run??

I think he’s referring to the 3rd qtr where Reich decided to begin his usual choke job.  Going into the 4th, Taylor touched the ball 4 times.

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Wait, what??

Preach!!! If anything, Reich saw Wentz was struggling, knew we didn’t have Pittman anymore(who was struggling all night himself) and still stuck with the run.

ive been a huge critic of Reich’s play calling all season long and especially of Flus’s scheme, but not tonight. 

if you’d told me before this game that we’d keep the hottest team in the league off the score board until 14 minutes to go in the 4 all while our QB was throwing for less than 60 yards and that we’d still win the game, against the number 1 D in the league, I’d say you’d need an evaluation, but not tonight, Reich finally won a game against a top seed and I for one thought he called about as good a game as you can call against the greatest coach of all time in the hooded one

Archived