Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Draft Class Breakdown by Position Depth (plus Z WR candidates, and early look at Mocks)

Top 100 Posistion Breakdown

Listed in order of position depth

Given our draft capital this year, 21-100 is likely our sweet spot (not that we'll move up, more about chance of slide)

Total / Top 10 / 11-20 / 21-32 / 33-64 / 65-100
EDG:  16  /     3     /     1     /     3     /    6     /     3    
WR:   15   /     1      /     1    /     3    /     3     /     7
CB:    14   /     1     /      3    /     1    /     4     /     5
OT:    13   /     3     /      0    /     1    /     6     /     3
S:       8    /     1     /      1    /     1    /     1     /     4
LB:     8    /     0     /      1    /     1    /     2     /     4
QB:     7    /     0     /     2    /     1    /     3     /     1
RB:     7    /     0      /     0    /     0    /     2     /     5
iDL:    5   /     0      /     0    /      1    /     3     /    1
OC:    3    /     1      /     0    /     0    /     0     /     2
TE:     3    /      0     /      0   /     0    /     1     /     2
OG:    2    /     0     /      1    /     0    /     1     /     0

Below are some WR prospects. I cleared out the Xs, and perhaps some of the big slots like Burks. 40 times are from google and estimated in some cases. 

Z/Slot WR candidates: 
#8 Garrett Wilson 6-0 / 192 / Ohio St / 84.1 / e4.45ish
#14 Jameson Williams 6-2 / 189 / Bama / 80.4 / 4.39
#24 Chris Olave 6-1 / 188 / Ohio St / 79.3 / 4.38
#40 Jahan Dotson 5-11 / 184 / Penn St / 87.5 / 4.33
#49 John Metchie 6-0 / 195 / Bama / 79.2 / e4.45ish
#54 Skyy Moore 5-10 / 195 / W Mich / 91.6 / 4.32
#71 David Bell 6-2 / 205 / Purdue / 86.9 / e4.5ish
#78 Wan'Dale Robinson 5-11 / 185 / UK / 90.5 / e4.3ish
#87 Romeo Doubs 6-2 / 200 / Nevada / 82.1 / 4.4
#100 Khalil Shakir / 6-0 / 190 / Boise St / 86.7 / 4.48

Used PFF's big board for the above two breakdowns. 

https://www.pff.com/draft/big-board?season=2022

Looking at some of the early mocks... 

PFN (7 round)
#50 WR Wan'Dale Robinson UK
#82 OG Lecitus Smith VT
#120 CB Akayleb Evans Missouri
#160 TE Lucas Krull Pittsburgh
#178 DE Dominique Ronbinson Miami-Ohio
#232 RB Sincere McCormick UTSA
#238 DL Malik Vann Cinci
#255 S Bryan Cook Cinci

Draft Wire (3 round)
#46 WR Jahan Dotson Penn State
#80 CB Mykael Write Oregon

SI (3 round)
# 49 CB Trent McDuffie, Washington. 
#81 DE Zach Harrison, Ohio State.

Thanks for the work done!

I've been tossing out the name John Metchie as the Z candidate for a few weeks.  Nice to see that he's graded right where we are expected to draft in the second round.  (Although, I think I'd prefer a defensive back in the second)

I like Bell, but I think of him as more of a Pittman.  A good all around receiver that can run vertical stuff, but not necessarily the blow-the-top-off threat.

Wan'Dale Robinson is interesting as a later pick (78 is too high, IMO).  A late transfer portal player that may have languished in programs that weren't able to focus on his skills.  I think he was the feature guy when at Nebraska.  Always wonder if there is under the surface stuff going on when a high profile player at one school transfers to a school like Kentucky. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Where do you have George Pickens ranked? Or do you see him as a pure X?

He runs a 4.5ish, and is 6-3, so I put him in the X/big-slot category. Unless he improves his 40 time (I don't see that happening), he's going to end up a possession guy. Not saying we can't run multiple possession guys at once (we already do), but if we're trying add speed, and/or a Z type, GP is not the guy. We're already overloaded IMO with bigs and tweeners. Patmon and Strachan are both bigger and faster than Pickens too. 

Overall, I don't really care about height, but I do want someone at least low 4.4s or faster. 

On 12/16/2021 at 11:26 AM, DougDew said:

Thanks for the work done!

I've been tossing out the name John Metchie as the Z candidate for a few weeks.  Nice to see that he's graded right where we are expected to draft in the second round.  (Although, I think I'd prefer a defensive back in the second)

I like Bell, but I think of him as more of a Pittman.  A good all around receiver that can run vertical stuff, but not necessarily the blow-the-top-off threat.

Wan'Dale Robinson is interesting as a later pick (78 is too high, IMO).  A late transfer portal player that may have languished in programs that weren't able to focus on his skills.  I think he was the feature guy when at Nebraska.  Always wonder if there is under the surface stuff going on when a high profile player at one school transfers to a school like Kentucky. 

I'd take Robinson in a heartbeat at 78. Dude killed it this year moving to KY. Nebraska is not a place for WRs lol. And he's got legit speed to help overcome a lot of rook flaws. IMO, his draft stock stands a good chance of climbing post combine. 

I also think that we may have a real shot at Metchie because of the ACL injury. We’ve seen that Ballard is willing to take players who are injured before the draft like Dayo and Blackmon. Metchie could be there in the 50’s.

However with the recent issues with Campbell, I wonder if Ballard will shy away from injured WRs. I mean Campbell never had any significant injuries coming out of college but look what’s happened since he’s been in the league.

Its crazy though because this WR class is filled with guys with questionable medical. George Pickens has only just gotten back in the field after tearing his knee in the spring. Justyn Ross had a bad neck injury. Medical red flags everywhere.

For @Defjamz26

I'm sorry, you and I had a recent exchange about wide receivers, and I can't find it now.   So, I'm putting this here for you.  Seems a good enough spot.

You were saying you thought this wasn't a good class of WR's.    I was sharing that I had read otherwise.   That it's almost, but not quite as good as the great WR classes of 20 and 21.     Here's McShay's grades comparing them with the 21 class,  but NOT with the 20 class.   What I read is that experts are predicting 5-6 WR's to go in the first round.   And there is depth in the class as well.       I'm cutting and pasting McShay for you...  

How would you stack the top receivers if you combined the 2021 and 2022 classes?

McShay: Chase, Smith and Waddle all had grades of 93 or better from me last spring, and none of the '22 receivers hit that mark. But I have three at 92 this year and another at 91. Here's how I would stack the guys earning at least a 90 grade across both classes:

Ja'Marr Chase, LSU  (2021, 94)

DeVonta Smith, Alabama  (2021, 93)

Jaylen Waddle, Alabama  (2021, 93)

Jameson Williams, Alabama  (2022, 92)

Garrett Wilson, Ohio State  (2022, 92)

Drake London, USC  (2022, 92)

Chris Olave, Ohio State  (2022, 91)

Elijah Moore, Ole Miss  (2021, 90)

Jahan Dotson, Penn State  (2022, 90)

WIlliams is a burner with ridiculous numbers, Wilson has elite body control and London was probably the top receiver in the country before a fractured right ankle ended his season. Olave is a smooth route runner, and Dotson has great ball skills. All five are in my top 20.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For @Defjamz26

I'm sorry, you and I had a recent exchange about wide receivers, and I can't find it now.   So, I'm putting this here for you.  Seems a good enough spot.

You were saying you thought this wasn't a good class of WR's.    I was sharing that I had read otherwise.   That it's almost, but not quite as good as the great WR classes of 20 and 21.     Here's McShay's grades comparing them with the 21 class,  but NOT with the 20 class.   What I read is that experts are predicting 5-6 WR's to go in the first round.   And there is depth in the class as well.       I'm cutting and pasting McShay for you...  

How would you stack the top receivers if you combined the 2021 and 2022 classes?

McShay: Chase, Smith and Waddle all had grades of 93 or better from me last spring, and none of the '22 receivers hit that mark. But I have three at 92 this year and another at 91. Here's how I would stack the guys earning at least a 90 grade across both classes:

WIlliams is a burner with ridiculous numbers, Wilson has elite body control and London was probably the top receiver in the country before a fractured right ankle ended his season. Olave is a smooth route runner, and Dotson has great ball skills. All five are in my top 20.

And I'd add 2 things to tie it into the Colt's needs/situation.

1. It's highly unlikely we move up, so the top end comparison of classes really doesn't matter for us. What's important is the guys projected into the second round.

2. I only listed the Z/slot type of WRs, and this class seems to have pretty darn good depth at that position. Should be quality in both 2R and 3R this year. 

Personally I'd be happy Dotson, Moore, or Robinson. But I also think we have guys on the team right now that are also under developed a bit, so not quite sure if and where we'd target a WR. 

If Olave somehow slips to the mid 20's (Possible) I would at least consider a trade up

It will probably cost too much to move up, and not a typical move of CB,  but IMHO this kid will be special in the NFL.

Excellent separation, great hands, very well developed in route running, in the NFL type offense that is run in

THE Ohio State University offense

He could immediately contribute, (IMHO) and can take the top off of a defense

Yes.... I may not be blinded a bit, because I LOVE my Buckeyes.....  We will see what comes out of this draft

If we stay put, there COULD be a decent WR, TE, CB, FS, or even a long term OT that isnt ready yet

that slides to this pick  

On 12/29/2021 at 1:31 AM, NewColtsFan said:

For @Defjamz26

Interesting. Thanks for that link.  Maybe I’ll have to do some more digging on the class. His top 3 guys he has only a point off from guys like Smith and Waddle, which means like you said, he sees this WR class as similar to last year.  I think every guy on McShay’s list might go in the first 34 picks based on those grades. 

Im interested to see how he has the other receivers in the class graded.

On 12/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, MikeCurtis said:

If Olave somehow slips to the mid 20's (Possible) I would at least consider a trade up

It will probably cost too much to move up, and not a typical move of CB,  but IMHO this kid will be special in the NFL.

Excellent separation, great hands, very well developed in route running, in the NFL type offense that is run in

THE Ohio State University offense

He could immediately contribute, (IMHO) and can take the top off of a defense

Yes.... I may not be blinded a bit, because I LOVE my Buckeyes.....  We will see what comes out of this draft

If we stay put, there COULD be a decent WR, TE, CB, FS, or even a long term OT that isnt ready yet

that slides to this pick  

I love the Buckeyes...but to me Olave isn't someone I would move up for. I have some concerns about his ability to get separation at the pro level based on when he has matched up against better corners and by end of this season he was the 3rd most effective receiver on the team(after Wilson and Smith-Njigba). I am curious to see what his measurables end up being. 

22 hours ago, ColtV said:

I love the Buckeyes...but to me Olave isn't someone I would move up for. I have some concerns about his ability to get separation at the pro level based on when he has matched up against better corners and by end of this season he was the 3rd most effective receiver on the team(after Wilson and Smith-Njigba). I am curious to see what his measurables end up being. 

Thats a great point, and if he runs a 4.4 forty , he may slide into round 2, but if he is 4.3 forty like some folks believe, he should go at the end of round 1

Part of the problem with the buckeyes is that they have so many top WRs, and they spread the ball around

What do you think of Rucker at TE in round 2 for the Colts ?  He has speed, great hands, great size, and can block

Did you see Marvin Harrison Jr play this year ?  He will be awesome along with Smith-Njiba  

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thats a great point, and if he runs a 4.4 forty , he may slide into round 2, but if he is 4.3 forty like some folks believe, he should go at the end of round 1

Part of the problem with the buckeyes is that they have so many top WRs, and they spread the ball around

What do you think of Rucker at TE in round 2 for the Colts ?  He has speed, great hands, great size, and can block

Did you see Marvin Harrison Jr play this year ?  He will be awesome along with Smith-Njiba  

I'm curious about his 40 time as well. I'm gonna say he runs in the high 4.4s

Ruckert just doesn't have the production to warrant a day 2 pick.He has a good frame and size, but he would have to have an amazing pro day/combine.

Curious to see if Harrison Jr puts up some numbers today. So far Stroud(who I have doubts about) is only targeting Smith-Njigba

On 12/31/2021 at 1:02 PM, ColtV said:

I'd much rather take Dotson, Robinson, or Moore if available with our 2nd or 3rd, than Olave. 

I think he'll run a high 4.3x, but like mentioned, OSU has a bunch of good WRs so none of them get doubled a ton. The three I mentioned were all #1 types on their teams, and got most of the attention and still produced. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'd much rather take Dotson, Robinson, or Moore if available with our 2nd or 3rd, than Olave. 

I think he'll run a high 4.3x, but like mentioned, OSU has a bunch of good WRs so none of them get doubled a ton. The three I mentioned were all #1 types on their teams, and got most of the attention and still produced. 

Dotson and Robinson are my top 2 choices for our 2nd round pick and if one of them is there top to mid Round 3, I would not mind us moving up, to be honest. That is what we did to move up and get TY.  Seahawks did a similar move up in 3rd round for Tyler Lockett giving up their 3rd, 5th and 6th rounder in the process. Both moves worked out for our respective teams.

Robinson was a rb in hs, and ran more than receiving at Nebraska. He is a dynamic open field runner. Is he a good enough rout runner to be effective #1 or 2 wr, or just someone you want tell to in space and let his running abilities do the rest. Nor sure I that warrants a 2nd round pick if it’s your only pick in the first two rounds. But they are all gambles and you never know.

3 hours ago, ColtV said:

I'm curious about his 40 time as well. I'm gonna say he runs in the high 4.4s

Ruckert just doesn't have the production to warrant a day 2 pick.He has a good frame and size, but he would have to have an amazing pro day/combine.

Curious to see if Harrison Jr puts up some numbers today. So far Stroud(who I have doubts about) is only targeting Smith-Njigba

Well @MikeCurtis I will definitely give kudos to Stroud, he hung in there and staged a great comeback. 

Some great catches by Marvin Jr. today! Looks like we have to worry about any drop-off in that department next year for the Buckeyes!  

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Dotson and Robinson are my top 2 choices for our 2nd round pick and if one of them is there top to mid Round 3, I would not mind us moving up, to be honest. That is what we did to move up and get TY.  Seahawks did a similar move up in 3rd round for Tyler Lockett giving up their 3rd, 5th and 6th rounder in the process. Both moves worked out for our respective teams.

I'd be pleased as punch if we could pick up one of those guys in the 3rd, but think all 3 might get grabbed in the 2nd. 

Combine will likely help all their stocks.

2 hours ago, husker61 said:

Robinson was a rb in hs, and ran more than receiving at Nebraska. He is a dynamic open field runner. Is he a good enough rout runner to be effective #1 or 2 wr, or just someone you want tell to in space and let his running abilities do the rest. Nor sure I that warrants a 2nd round pick if it’s your only pick in the first two rounds. But they are all gambles and you never know.

Did you see that diving 32 yard catch today? He also set some records in the win over Iowa. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I think my 2022 WR draft crush is Jahan Dotson. I think he has the skillset we're missing. His size is a bit of a concern, but I think he has the athletic profile and technical skill to give us what we've been missing from TY in the past couple of years. His ability to create natural separation is also something our current WR group seems to struggle with.

23 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

David Bell is another guy who hasn't got mentioned on here yet. I don't think he's going to crush the combine so good possibility he falls in our range. Gives me Michael Thomas vibes.

I think Bell is very much like Rashod Bateman in that he's not elite in one specific area, but he's really good in almost all. I wasn't sure how Bateman would translate to the pro game, but he's looked pretty solid in BAL so far. I'm not sure if Bell would give us the type of WR we're missing in our offense, but he'll most likely be a solid WR in the NFL.

Archived