Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next year WR no.2

First off RTDB!!! We have a extremely talented RB and we should showcase that. But looking ahead we have alot of reps/catches potentially walking out the door. We could see a fan favorite retire (TY Hilton) and one of the most dependable WR leave for more money (Zach Pascal). The unfortunate luck of Parris Campbell leaves us with MPJ and several questions marks. Every year it seems to be another deep class at WR. So let's look at a few guys. Let's keep in mind that we do not have a round 1 pick, so every prospect listed below will have a blemish or two that may cause them to slide.

Early

George Pickens 6'3 200lbs

https://youtu.be/Ivi0la3TZOU

Pros: Body control, Hands, Jump balls

Comp: Tyler Boyd

Why does he fall: injury and in game  penalties 

AND

AJ Green for 1 year 6 million guaranteed up to 8 million in incentives (Give him 250,000 if any of our WR make Pro Bowl)

A chance to mentor a fellow Bulldog while being the no.2 WR until Pickens is fully recovered from injury. 

Justyn Ross 6'4 210lbs

https://youtu.be/0scUjgGJsEs

Pros: Height, willing blocker, end zone target 

Comp: DeVante Parker

Why does he fall: Major back concerns

AND

Will Fuller for 1 year 5 million 

His time in Miami was supposed to help his stock but it did the opposite. This prove it contract gives him a chance to be a home run hitter without the pressure of being the no.1 option. Hopefully we can get a full season between him and Parris Campbell.

Mid Round

Khalil Shakir 6'0 190lbs

https://youtu.be/vNf_Oh9N7FI

Pro: Hands, works back to QB, consistency 

Comp: Sterling Shepard 

Why does he fall: Size and level of competition 

AND

DJ Chark for 3 years 25 million

We should pounce at a chance to get a former Pro Bowl player, who plays on a division foe and should be cheap coming off of a injury. 

Romeo Doubs 6'2 200lb

https://youtu.be/3qr0BUeDE9o

Pros: Routes, Speed, YAC

Comp: Marvin Jones Jr.

Why does he falls: Easy drops and level of competition 

AND

Zay Jones for 1 year minimum

Zay does all the dirty work similar to Pascal. He is ok in his role and will make the try hard all star team.

Which combination will work best for Carson Wentz and our RUN GAME?

Tyler Boyd has gotten lost in the shuffle due to addition of Tee Higgins and now JaMarr Chase in the draft. He would be a good No.2 addition that runs good routes and will be where you want him to be.

However, I feel our No.2 should come from the draft. Romeo Doubs does intrigue me the most and I do think the vertical slot to replace TY has to be the most important FA addition and that is why I feel Christian Kirk should be added, he fits like a glove there.

Pitt may be WR#1 (in terms of targets and value), but he's not really the WR to threaten to blow the top off the defense.  He can do it, but his versatile skill set will keep him grounded into doing many different things besides running a lot of vertical routes.  What I'd like to see is another receiver who is mainly a speed threat.  Has to be competent in running routes of course, but the constant vertical threat opens things up for JT and Pitt and whomever the TE will be.  PC could still be that WR.

I don't know that Pickens is that speed threat, or if any other players mentioned fits that role.

John Metchie from Bama fits the role, IMO.  I've seen some sites give him second round value.

17 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I wouldn’t mind Chark.

I would be 100% Shocked if Ballard would spend significant $ on FA WR, and i believe Chark would fall in that category.

He will still bank on Campbell as option 1, as he should.

He will draft a speed demon in the 3rd or 4th rd. My WAguess anyway.   

On 12/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, Mr. Too Proud said:

First off RTDB!!! We have a extremely talented RB and we should showcase that. But looking ahead we have alot of reps/catches potentially walking out the door. We could see a fan favorite retire (TY Hilton) and one of the most dependable WR leave for more money (Zach Pascal). The unfortunate luck of Parris Campbell leaves us with MPJ and several questions marks. Every year it seems to be another deep class at WR. So let's look at a few guys. Let's keep in mind that we do not have a round 1 pick, so every prospect listed below will have a blemish or two that may cause them to slide.

Early

George Pickens 6'3 200lbs

https://youtu.be/Ivi0la3TZOU

Pros: Body control, Hands, Jump balls

Comp: Tyler Boyd

Why does he fall: injury and in game  penalties 

AND

AJ Green for 1 year 6 million guaranteed up to 8 million in incentives (Give him 250,000 if any of our WR make Pro Bowl)

A chance to mentor a fellow Bulldog while being the no.2 WR until Pickens is fully recovered from injury. 

Justyn Ross 6'4 210lbs

https://youtu.be/0scUjgGJsEs

Pros: Height, willing blocker, end zone target 

Comp: DeVante Parker

Why does he fall: Major back concerns

AND

Will Fuller for 1 year 5 million 

His time in Miami was supposed to help his stock but it did the opposite. This prove it contract gives him a chance to be a home run hitter without the pressure of being the no.1 option. Hopefully we can get a full season between him and Parris Campbell.

Mid Round

Khalil Shakir 6'0 190lbs

https://youtu.be/vNf_Oh9N7FI

Pro: Hands, works back to QB, consistency 

Comp: Sterling Shepard 

Why does he fall: Size and level of competition 

AND

DJ Chark for 3 years 25 million

We should pounce at a chance to get a former Pro Bowl player, who plays on a division foe and should be cheap coming off of a injury. 

Romeo Doubs 6'2 200lb

https://youtu.be/3qr0BUeDE9o

Pros: Routes, Speed, YAC

Comp: Marvin Jones Jr.

Why does he falls: Easy drops and level of competition 

AND

Zay Jones for 1 year minimum

Zay does all the dirty work similar to Pascal. He is ok in his role and will make the try hard all star team.

Which combination will work best for Carson Wentz and our RUN GAME?

We are heavily stocked in bigger WR's.

CB will be looking for that 5'11" guy that runs in the 4.3s IMO.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, throwing BBZ said:

We are heavily stocked in bigger WR's.

CB will be looking for that 5'11" guy that runs in the 4.3s IMO.

1000% agree

We need a speedster that can separate and reliably catch in this offense

We need that guy that teams fear and pulls the safety back deeper ........  THIS will open up more opportunities for all other aspects of our offense

Campbell was that guy.....  Hilton was that guy.......

We need the next one  

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

1000% agree

We need that guy that teams fear and pulls the safety back deeper ........  THIS will open up more opportunities for all other aspects of our offense

We need the next one  

A trade for Calvin Ridley would be the perfect solution.  Reportedly available and his contract is affordable.   What’s one more pick when we can acquire an absolute young playmaker.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

A trade for Calvin Ridley would be the perfect solution.  Reportedly available and his contract is affordable.   What’s one more pick when we can acquire an absolute young playmaker.

I dont know.... maybe

He is not on the Falcons active roster (as of last week) for "mental health issues"  

I have a heart for that as I have a family member with a spectrum issue, but this is something that would have to be reviewed 

He sure looks the part of a separation WR

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know.... maybe

He is not on the Falcons active roster (as of last week) for "mental health issues"  

I have a heart for that as I have a family member with a spectrum issue, but this is something that would have to be reviewed 

He sure looks the part of a separation WR

I don’t expect us to trade for him unless we were sure he was in a good place mentally and ready to go.  If he is ready to go I think he would be the perfect missing piece for our offense.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:10 AM, DougDew said:

Pitt may be WR#1 (in terms of targets and value), but he's not really the WR to threaten to blow the top off the defense.  He can do it, but his versatile skill set will keep him grounded into doing many different things besides running a lot of vertical routes.  What I'd like to see is another receiver who is mainly a speed threat.  Has to be competent in running routes of course, but the constant vertical threat opens things up for JT and Pitt and whomever the TE will be.  PC could still be that WR.

I don't know that Pickens is that speed threat, or if any other players mentioned fits that role.

John Metchie from Bama fits the role, IMO.  I've seen some sites give him second round value.

Metchie is not a take the top off a defense type of receiver, more of a really good route runner.  Pickens is more of a deep threat, but unless he has matured, I wouldn't trust him.

I'm not sure where the following receivers rank as far as draft prospects, but London out of USC and Burks from Arkansas are big receivers similar to MPJ, Burks has more speed IMO.  Dotson at Penn State an Williams at Alabama are both fast and will take the top off of defenses and Williams is about 6'2" I believe.  Also, David Bell from Purdue could be a possibility.

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Metchie is not a take the top off a defense type of receiver, more of a really good route runner.  Pickens is more of a deep threat, but unless he has matured, I wouldn't trust him.

I'm not sure where the following receivers rank as far as draft prospects, but London out of USC and Burks from Arkansas are big receivers similar to MPJ, Burks has more speed IMO.  Dotson at Penn State an Williams at Alabama are both fast and will take the top off of defenses and Williams is about 6'2" I believe.  Also, David Bell from Purdue could be a possibility.

Shoot let's just go with an all USC WR group Pittman, Juju (from free agency), then draft London. lol

On 12/10/2021 at 10:10 AM, DougDew said:

Yep, while Pittman may serving as a WR-1, he's not and will likely never be an

upper-end (top-10-ish) WR-1. He's more of a (depending on your WR'1's 

skill-set) WR-1B guy or ideally, your WR-2.

CB needs to find a true WR-1 level talent guy wether via the draft or FA.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

Michael Gallup should be priority #1

I was thinking about Gallup but I think Cedrick Wilson might be more realistic for the Colts to target. He has been stuck behind Lamb, Cooper, and Gallup but has gotten some opportunity this year and produced in spots.

When I look at how the Colts have used TY and Campbell this year I don't think they need another burner as much. TY can still go. For what the Colts do on offense though I don't think they need a speedster as the #2. They need someone more rounded who can block and replace Pascal. For what the Colts want to do in terms of stretching the field I don't think that guy has the be the #2 receiver. 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:06 AM, MikeCurtis said:

1000% agree

We need the next one  

Christian Kirk in free agency fits the speedy slot role, won't cost nearly as much as some premier wide outs. Then we draft a Round 3 WR to along with a Round 2 CB to augment what we have.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Christian Kirk in free agency fits the speedy slot role, won't cost nearly as much as some premier wide outs. Then we draft a Round 3 WR to along with a Round 2 CB to augment what we have.

I think the Cardinals had jumped in front of us in the draft because they thought we were going to draft Kirk. It would be funny if in the end, he ended up here, just like X. Rhodes. We should have drafted him instead of B. Werner, but he ended up here after all.

On 12/20/2021 at 8:54 AM, chad72 said:

The really good thing is we can draft for BPA at WR, CB, OT, FS, TE, even DE

There should be a separation WR available in mid to late R2

But......

Chris Olave would be one player I would jump into the 20s to get, if the deal wasnt too painful

He is a great separation guy that catches everything close

I imagine that he will be a 4.35 40 guy with a very advanced route tree 

Extremely low odds in a draft where we have very little draft capitol

Prolly not going to happen, but he would be a great "get"

Of course with our bad luck with THE Ohio State players, he would probably trip and break a leg on the way to the podium

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 9:10 AM, DougDew said:

my thoughts exactly

On 12/19/2021 at 8:29 PM, coltsfan_canada said:

I wonder why Hines cant be used described above he us 5'9" I think n around 4.38s 

There’s a difference between being a very good wide receiver and a running back who has very good receiving skills.   Call it the difference between above average or even good and very very good.    Numerically speaking, one is a 7 or 7.5, while the other is an 8 or 8.5. 

Im hopeful we use use Hines as a receiver in the playoffs….  We’re going to need to use every weapon we have. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 1:29 PM, chad72 said:

Tyler Boyd has gotten lost in the shuffle due to addition of Tee Higgins and now JaMarr Chase in the draft. He would be a good No.2 addition that runs good routes and will be where you want him to be.

However, I feel our No.2 should come from the draft. Romeo Doubs does intrigue me the most and I do think the vertical slot to replace TY has to be the most important FA addition and that is why I feel Christian Kirk should be added, he fits like a glove there.

?????

Tyler Boyd is halfway thru a 4 year, $43 mill contract.   So, nearly $11 mill per.   It’s likely they will want to restructure to lower his cap hit, but, in theory,  he could be cut.  

But even if he is, he’d be looking to go elsewhere for roughly similar money to be a good #2.   He’s really good, but I’m not sure we’d be in at that price?   

Interesting.  My focus would be on finding a slot receiver (probably in the 2nd or 3rd).  I’d bring Dulin back to start opposite MPJ, but I’d feel pretty good about Patmon and Strachan backing those guys up.  It’s Campbell who’s never available.  Let’s get a quick slot guy like Calvin Austin III or even Wan’Dale Robinson to round out the corps…

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Interesting.  My focus would be on finding a slot receiver (probably in the 2nd or 3rd).  I’d bring Dulin back to start opposite MPJ, but I’d feel pretty good about Patmon and Strachan backing those guys up.  It’s Campbell who’s never available.  Let’s get a quick slot guy like Calvin Austin III or even Wan’Dale Robinson to round out the corps…

I liked what Dulin did this year for us too. But man, if you're penciling him in to start, with two guys backing up who have virtually never played before... setting yourself up for a horrible year.

With the injury to Jameson Williams, I really think he could be had with the Colts 2nd round pick. So long as he checks out health wise for at least early into the 2022 season, he would be a great addition to provide the Colts WR core with some much needed speed to compliment MPJ. 

Unfortunately, Jones's latest comments on Cooper doesn't bode well for Gallup being available in FA. 

In another thread I posted that Dallas would be smart if the released Cooper, opting for Lamb and Gallup pairing. It seems Jones's recent displeasure in Cooper is setting up the pins for this strike.

I'm saddened because I have always thought Gallup was the hidden gem of the receiver corps going back to last year when Gallup wasn't available in FA. I still say that if the Colts would've sent 54th overall to Dallas last year, Gallup would be a Colt right now. Or maybe a future third in 2022.

Gallup or Dayo? 

Hands down Gallup, but that's just me. Anyways it looks like things are shaping up to Gallup staying in Big D

22 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I doubt he goes round 1 with just recently having a torn ACL. 

I know you think that.  

But Kiper still has him going in the first.   So does Daniel Jeremiah.   So does Pff.    If you can get a top of the first half talent late in the first round then many teams will gladly take him.    

If Williams can’t contribute for the first two-three months of his rookie year, but will be back at full strength after that, a number of well run teams picking at the bottom of the first will happily make that trade off.  

It’s a calculated risk some teams will make. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:04 PM, BProland85 said:

With the injury to Jameson Williams, I really think he could be had with the Colts 2nd round pick. So long as he checks out health wise for at least early into the 2022 season, he would be a great addition to provide the Colts WR core with some much needed speed to compliment MPJ. 

Idk about Williams, but Metchie could be there 2nd round. Daniel Jeremiah had Williams going to the Chiefs round 1, which makes a lot of sense.

On a side note, I would take a flex TE before I took a WR though. Pittman is the deep threat, so I’d much rather have a TE who is big enough to go over the middle of the field and take some hits.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about Williams, but Metchie could be there 2nd round. Daniel Jeremiah had Williams going to the Chiefs round 1, which makes a lot of sense.

On a side note, I would take a flex TE before I took a WR though. Pittman is the deep threat, so I’d much rather have a TE who is big enough to go over the middle of the field and take some hits.

“Pittman is the deep threat”???

You're the first person I’ve seen write that.  Everyone else views Pittman as the possession guy.  The guy who gets first downs.   Is that what you meant to say, or was  that an accident?   

I think people here view Campbell or Hilton as a deep threat.  

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Pittman is the deep threat”???

You're the first person I’ve seen write that.  Everyone else views Pittman as the possession guy.  The guy who gets first downs.   Is that what you meant to say, or was  that an accident?   

I think people here view Campbell or Hilton as a deep threat.  

Just because he’s “our” deep threat is how I took it.  But yeah, we need TYs replacement.  Campbell just can’t stay on the field.

Archived