Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Top 75 2022 FAs

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

Pretty solid work on their part. Has projections for future contracts. Enjoy!

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Yeah….    I was reading this the other night.  I’m not sure about their contract projections?   I think Spotrac does a better job with that, and even they have some head scratchers?   

I was looking for guys that might catch Ballard’s eye….  Bargains.  Guys who are perhaps $8m and less.    Didn’t see many of those.   

Thanks for linking it here…. 

Thanks for the info.  If Ballard goes the FA route for a WR I could see Gallup fitting in nicely.  His contract projection wouldn’t be over the top for us.  Adams would be my first choice though.  Someone also put out the idea of trading for Calvin Ridley in another thread.  He would be perfect as well assuming he’s ready to return to football. 

On 12/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, MPStack said:

Pretty solid work on their part. Has projections for future contracts. Enjoy!

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Yeah, this list will be severely cut down once players start signing extensions by the end of the season or resigning with their teams in the off-season before they hit FA... or they get franchise tagged. 

Casey Hayward Jr. for CB for our zone concepts including Cover 3, Marcus Maye on a prove it 1-year deal because of injury would both be good additions for our secondary.

Christian Kirk for a vertical slot and Zach Ertz re-united with Wentz would both be good additions that will definitely bolster our offense, IMO, with an addition or two from the draft.

18 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I would have said him, but he’s getting tagged, if not resigned. They won’t tag Godwin again.

I read some article recently that suggested that if the Packers move on from Rodgers that Adams would probably go too. It could be a tag and trade or tag and refuse to match or just let him go.  They thought it all hinged on Rogers future.  So Adams is long shot for sure.  Goodwin would be a great add no doubt.  

11 hours ago, MPStack said:

Out of curiosity on that list, who would be your one signing regardless of the $$. 

I’d sign Chris Godwin. 

Hard to select just one.  If we don't resign Fisher at LT than LT Terron Armstead would be at the top of my list.  With TE Dallas Geodert (Eagles) recently signing a contract extensions I kind of expect the Colts now to pursue either TE Mike Gesicki (Dolphins) or TE Dalton Schultz (Cowboys).  I liked Schultz when he arrived in Dallas and thought he might be the next great Jason Witten.  It took Schultz a while but he finally has proven to be one of the better tight ends in the league.  If we don't resign Xavier Rhodes and don't think we can get a starting RCB early in the draft than the Rams Darious Williams would make sense.  Williams went as an UDFA to NFL star.  Unfortunately in the draft not many starting FS stand out to draft and we obviously have other higher priority needs.  Last year before the Saints placed the tag on FS Marcus Williams.  I was hoping we would pursue him and doubt the Saints would double tag him again so Williams is atop of my target list again this offseason.

I realize that these players where not mentioned in the article but with the Giants in cap space troubles going into 2022 I wouldn't mind us targeting DT Austin Johnson.  I was hoping WR Courtland Sutton (Broncos) would hit the FA market with poor QB play but he signed an extension.

Well as for Ballard's usual we are not gonna sign the big names (Godwin/Adams), and for those that think this offseason will be different you're gonna be disappointed.

Some offensive weapons that are interesting are:

Juju Smith-Schuster: coming off injury and will be most likely looking for a new team after Ben retires. he's a physical WR that blocks which Ballard likes and at possibly 1 year 8 million is a low risk possibly huge reward type player. How I see it he is an upgraded version of Pascal who I'm guessing won't be resigned.

Michael Gallup: Is my favorite of the FA WRs, as he has been stuck behind Cooper and Lamb but has played well when given the opportunity. He would easily come in and be number 2, the only problem is that I could see him getting overpaid this offseason. His contract is probably gonna be multi-year and between 10-14 million per year like they have on the article. As for his scheme fit:

Scheme Fit/Role:
SCHEME-DIVERSE NO. 2 RECEIVER: Gallup can actually play as an X receiver as well as the Z, defeating press coverage and aggressive man coverage from cornerbacks with his footwork, hands and route running. He is a good secondary option but can work in either of those spots on an offense.

Jameson Crowder: What I like about Crowder is that he has been the most consistent player for the Jets in the last couple years, and to be consistent in that dysfunction is impressive. He is a slot and I don't think he is a perfect fit but he has great hands.

Zach Ertz: only if Doyle retires, he was Wentz's favorite target in philly and makes to much sense to not try to bring him in.

As for someone not on the top 75 list that I would target is:

Valdes-Scantling: Pretty much has the build of Mike Strachan but also has speed that Strachan doesn't have, he is the vertical threat that we have been missing, although it's concerning that with Aaron Rodgers as his QB and defenses focusing on Adams in coverage that he hasn't been able to produce more. I wanted the Colts to draft him when he fell to the 5th round and think we could get him at a reasonable price in FA

On 12/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, richard pallo said:

I read some article recently that suggested that if the Packers move on from Rodgers that Adams would probably go too. It could be a tag and trade or tag and refuse to match or just let him go.  They thought it all hinged on Rogers future.  So Adams is long shot for sure.  Goodwin would be a great add no doubt.  

It would be weird if the Eagles give up their 3 first round picks for Rodgers and Adams, and send Hurts packing to the Packers to fight it out with Jordan Love. However, if I am the Eagles GM, that would instantly improve my SB contender window even if it is just for 2-3 years (teams go a decade or more without a good window).

On 12/9/2021 at 4:58 PM, MPStack said:

Out of curiosity on that list, who would be your one signing regardless of the $$. 

I’d sign Chris Godwin. 

Allen Robinson. Maybe not regardless of price, but I think he would be cheaper than Godwin and we have yet to see Robinson play with a good qb. He could be a 100 catch receiver here and despite his lack of elite speed, he can get downfield and win with his body size

• 2 weeks later...

My personal favorite targets in case they really hit FA:

Unrealistic targets:

- Terron Armstead if his medicals check out

- Devante Adams - best WR in the league? Sure!

- Carlton Davis - probably will get a lot of money and I doubt Ballard spends tons on corner. 

Realistic targets:

- Michael Gallup - incredibly underrated WR. At times when healthy overperforms both Lamb and Cooper

- Mike Gesicki - in case we lose MAC in FA, he's a good dynamic weapon. Not much of a run blocker but IMO we need a good receiving option from the TE spot. 

- David Njoku - see above

- Haason Reddick - is he realistic? He doesn't exactly fit the Ballard mold... a bit too lean. But he could be a nice addition to the pass-rushing rotation. 

- Charvarius Ward - long, physical corner, fits the mold Ballard likes. 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

My personal favorite targets in case they really hit FA:

Unrealistic targets:

- Terron Armstead if his medicals check out

- Devante Adams - best WR in the league? Sure!

- Carlton Davis - probably will get a lot of money and I doubt Ballard spends tons on corner. 

Realistic targets:

- Michael Gallup - incredibly underrated WR. At times when healthy overperforms both Lamb and Cooper

- Mike Gesicki - in case we lose MAC in FA, he's a good dynamic weapon. Not much of a run blocker but IMO we need a good receiving option from the TE spot. 

- David Njoku - see above

- Haason Reddick - is he realistic? He doesn't exactly fit the Ballard mold... a bit too lean. But he could be a nice addition to the pass-rushing rotation. 

- Charvarius Ward - long, physical corner, fits the mold Ballard likes. 

Gallup and Reddick would be great pickups

Gallup would be that separation guy that this team is desperate for

Reddick is that 3rd and long guy who can add pressure at one of the DE spots in a rotation

I dont see either of these guys as big splash guys, and neither should lead their market in price, which is more of a CB move than spending all available $$ on one FA

I also think Fisher needs signed to a 2 year deal. (I think the Colts go that way, but we do need someone to develop for the future)

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Gallup and Reddick would be great pickups

Gallup would be that separation guy that this team is desperate for

Reddick is that 3rd and long guy who can add pressure at one of the DE spots in a rotation

I dont see either of these guys as big splash guys, and neither should lead their market in price, which is more of a CB move than spending all available $$ on one FA

I also think Fisher needs signed to a 2 year deal. (I think the Colts go that way, but we do need someone to develop for the future)

If we fill these two "holes" in FA and resign Fisher, We COULD just draft BPA purely... the best place to be

Archived