Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hooray Pinter: Great grade yesterday in first start


EastStreet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not to mention that he probably didn't get one snap in practice with the first team all week.

 

I really hope Kelly is back for NE, they're D line is a lot more intricate in what they do.  But if he's still out, or if he's weak from Covid, I think we're still in good shape.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not to mention that he probably didn't get one snap in practice with the first team all week.

 

I really hope Kelly is back for NE, they're D line is a lot more intricate in what they do.  But if he's still out, or if he's weak from Covid, I think we're still in good shape.

Me too. NE is not the cupcake Houston is.  We hopefully have Kelly back when we play the big boys. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

And guys I know it's Houston.....

 

But, if Houston has a strength, it's their DL. And their DL has a higher pressure % than ours....

 

Both interior guys across from Pinter were mid 60s graded guys with multiple sacks. 

Very similar to Grover Stewart and Stallworth in terms of grades and sacks counts. 

 

And Greenard at LDE is very good, so it's very likely Q is helping Fisher at times, and Pinter had a lot of one on one action. 

 

But overall, consider the fact Pinter likely didn't get a ton of first team reps last week, and was the QB of the OL calling protections in his first start. 

 

Yes, Houston, but shouldn't be diminished much. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

We didnt pass that much though. Carson only threw for a buck 58 i believe. Pinter probably did more run blocking than anything

Well, we didn't throw 50 times, lol, but Pinter allowed zero pressures in the 24 pass block sets.

Glow and Nelson were perfect too in pass pro.

 

Pinter I thought started slow run blocking, but really came on in that area after the 1Q.

Given his grade and snap allotment (pass/run), he had to grade well in both aspects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Late last season it was starting to emerge that Kelly might be a weakish link in the oline.  His contract restructure was helpful.

 

Hopefully his performance is related to nagging, yet temporary, injuries.

Pinter's performance proves paying Kelly was a mistake. Could have saved money and had more cap space

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Pinter's performance proves paying Kelly was a mistake. Could have saved money and had more cap space

 

While I agree the performance/pay ratio was off on the deal, I wouldn't say Pinter's performance proves anything. 

Simply two separate and standalone things. 

 

Just better to say simply we overpaid lol. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

While I agree the performance/pay ratio was off on the deal, I wouldn't say Pinter's performance proves anything. 

Simply two separate and standalone things. 

 

Just better to say simply we overpaid lol. 

I agree we probably overpaid him. Kelly has still been improving over time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I agree we probably overpaid him. Kelly has still been improving over time. 

 

2016: Drafted 1st Round, 18th overall

2016: 72.4 (0 sacks / 3 penalties)

2017: 60.4 (only played 394 snaps)

2018: 74.5 (1 / 4)

2019: 73.0 (1 / 6)

2020: Extended during 5th year IIRC. Made highest paid OC (now 2nd)

2020: 69.0 (2 / 1)

2021: 56.6 (3 / 4)

 

I really hope the 2021 is just injury.... not sure if he didn't 100% heal from early season... 

The top graded OCs are grading mid 80s to low 90s... 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Introspect said:

Pinter's performance proves paying Kelly was a mistake. Could have saved money and had more cap space

Pinter was a rookie when Kelly was signed, or maybe even still in college.  Maybe Pinter can replace Kelly come next contract if Kelly asks too much.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

2016: Drafted 1st Round, 18th overall

2016: 72.4 (0 sacks / 3 penalties)

2017: 60.4 (only played 394 snaps)

2018: 74.5 (1 / 4)

2019: 73.0 (1 / 6)

2020: Extended during 5th year IIRC. Made highest paid OC (now 2nd)

2020: 69.0 (2 / 1)

2021: 56.6 (3 / 4)

 

I really hope the 2021 is just injury.... not sure if he didn't 100% heal from early season... 

The top graded OCs are grading mid 80s to low 90s... 

yeah he was injured, and also keep in mind the playcalling early was questionable. Also the musical chairs at the guard spots next to him early did not help. I think he has been getting better over time. Also it is important to think about the fact that most attacks and stunts on our line most likely are over the C/RG, not directed at LG. I know this is not a legitimate excuse, but imo Kelly passes the eye test. I remember a few seasons where Luck graded pretty low too. Top players sometimes grade low, and to be honest I feel like without knowing our exact scheme, it is really hard for people to truly grade. They might think he was responsible when he wasn't. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 Very nice to see a 5th rd pick developing good starter potential.
 Having followed the NFL for many decades it has been true, that the most stable franchises draft ahead of need. They are developing players to step into the starter roles by year two or three.
 Ballard seems to me to just now be getting us there. 

  This season we are getting our beak wet for our many inexperienced players.

  Next year, come December we have a great shot of being a top 8 team with a real shot in the playoffs.

 Come 23, who will be better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice. I like Pinter. I think he can be a good player in the league. I wouldn't go as far as others here to say we should have let Kelly go for him, because it would have been very risky and borderline irresponsible, but it's good to know we have some good depth on the interior both with him and with Reed. 

 

I still think we need long-term option at LT, though... 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nice. I like Pinter. I think he can be a good player in the league. I wouldn't go as far as others here to say we should have let Kelly go for him, because it would have been very risky and borderline irresponsible, but it's good to know we have some good depth on the interior both with him and with Reed. 

 

I still think we need long-term option at LT, though... 

I agree , I wouldn't be surprised if our earliest pick is used on either OL, or DL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chirp Chirp

41 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nice. I like Pinter. I think he can be a good player in the league. I wouldn't go as far as others here to say we should have let Kelly go for him, because it would have been very risky and borderline irresponsible, but it's good to know we have some good depth on the interior both with him and with Reed. 

 

I still think we need long-term option at LT, though... 

agree on all points.  I would Pryor has given them some depth at tackle too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if Pinter exceled in the running attack then let's run the ball.  I would love to see the Colts run the ball right over the Pats defense.  I know it is easier said than done, but the o-line is a strength of this team and JT is a strength of this team.  I would love to see BB try to stop JT and the o-line just not willing to let that happen.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah he was injured, and also keep in mind the playcalling early was questionable. Also the musical chairs at the guard spots next to him early did not help. I think he has been getting better over time. Also it is important to think about the fact that most attacks and stunts on our line most likely are over the C/RG, not directed at LG. I know this is not a legitimate excuse, but imo Kelly passes the eye test. I remember a few seasons where Luck graded pretty low too. Top players sometimes grade low, and to be honest I feel like without knowing our exact scheme, it is really hard for people to truly grade. They might think he was responsible when he wasn't. 

Overall, I think he is, and has always been incredibly solid. But more top 10 then top 5. Regardless, he's ours, and we need him to come back rested, more healed, and kicking behind in two weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Nice. I like Pinter. I think he can be a good player in the league. I wouldn't go as far as others here to say we should have let Kelly go for him, because it would have been very risky and borderline irresponsible, but it's good to know we have some good depth on the interior both with him and with Reed. 

 

I still think we need long-term option at LT, though... 

Hey Stitches, take a look at the link I just posted. High level stuff, but good.

Agreed on your post. Great first start for Pinter, but way early to be talking about making drastic changes.

 

And agree, we may still need to address LT. Not sold on Fisher being a 3-5 year answer. Not sure we need "long term" solution, but we need to at least find a guy in FA that's a 4 year fix, or if not, draft a guy who is long term.

 

Overall I could see Pinter projecting at either C or G. He's still raw and coming into his "new" body, but I think in a year or two with good S and C, he'll be ready to take the step.

 

Regardless, love the current depth at C, G and T. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Here's a good simple/short read on Pinter vs Houston

 

Film Room: Danny Pinter Shines Against the Texans

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/film/pinter-shines-texans

Zach Hicks is awesome. Colts fans are lucky we have him write about the team since he's originally a Washington fan. He's pretty easily the best of any Colts media to do this in-depth analysis and do it for the stars but also about some niche topics and players... like Pinter this week for example. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...