Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor colts records

Stephen

3 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Edge made me a Colts fan and JT has already overtaken him in my mind, in one and a half years. 

Edge is my #2 fav Colt (all time). I don't mix active favs with all time favs. And I totally love JT.

To be fair though, JT has a lot better OL than Edge had most years. And Edge averaged over 1000/year for 11 years. JT has a ways to go. 

Great start though. And I'd love to see him get to a place where JT's still cooking with gas (or jet fuel) at the end of his second contract, and we're talking about JT beating Edge's total in less games.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Edge is my #2 fav Colt (all time). I don't mix active favs with all time favs. And I totally love JT.

To be fair though, JT has a lot better OL than Edge had most years. And Edge averaged over 1000/year for 11 years. JT has a ways to go. 

Great start though. And I'd love to see him get to a place where JT's still cooking with gas (or jet fuel) at the end of his second contract, and we're talking about JT beating Edge's total in less games.

True, but Edge also got to play with Peyton Manning.. which made things a lot easier for him.

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

True, but Edge also got to play with Peyton Manning.. which made things a lot easier for him.

Edge was more of a workhorse. Got a lot more carries per game than JT his first two seasons. Easily had more power than JT IMO. JT might have more straight line speed, but both were 4.39ish IIRC. I agree playing with Peyton helps in general, but you should watch his highlights when you have a minute. You simply didn't bring EJ down with arm tackling. And I'd bet JT has higher YBC, meaning the OL kept him clean farther per touch. James was a great receiver too like JT. And quite frankly, defenses were better back then defending the run. Today we see a ton more 5 DBs sets than back then. 

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Edge was more of a workhorse. Got a lot more carries per game than JT his first two seasons. Easily had more power than JT IMO. JT might have more straight line speed, but both were 4.39ish IIRC. I agree playing with Peyton helps in general, but you should watch his highlights when you have a minute. You simply didn't bring EJ down with arm tackling. And I'd bet JT has higher YBC, meaning the OL kept him clean farther per touch. James was a great receiver too like JT. And quite frankly, defenses were better back then defending the run. Today we see a ton more 5 DBs sets than back then. 

Yea besides Tampa most teams aren't built to stop the run

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea besides Tampa most teams aren't built to stop the run

Not sure I'd say TB is "built" to stop the run. They simply just run blitz and double stuff the A and nonsense. 

Really mostly just scheme and play calling. Vea is great though. 

They just have a ton of talent all over the place, and could really run any scheme effectively IMO. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure I'd say TB is "built" to stop the run. They simply just run blitz and double stuff the A and nonsense. 

Really mostly just scheme and play calling. Vea is great though. 

They just have a ton of talent all over the place, and could really run any scheme effectively IMO. 

Hopefully we see them again would love to hand Brady a loss on biggest stage

JT is a baller.  Still isn’t on Edge level but he is definitely on pace to be better. Its been so long since we had a star running back plus the league uses RBC the majority of the time so we may be over valuing him slightly. He still had a ton of carries at Wisconsin and only 1.75 years into his career.  He is more likely to not live up to a second contract unless it’s front loaded with a way out after 2yrs.  Of course I hope I’m wrong and he gives us 8-10yrs of quality play at the position.  

Best thing we can do is get another play making WR and form our own version of Triplets. 

On 12/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, EastStreet said:

I watched James play lol I don't need to see highlights. I know he had D Henry like touches early in his career, was more common back then tho. I wouldn't say James was more powerful, he's about 10lbs lighter than Taylor. Same speed tho for sure. I think you're downplaying how much of an advantage it gives a RB to play with a QB like Manning. But you're right about the defense, I've said thay before myself that they're built to stop the pass now.

Either way at the end of the day James & Taylor will be the 2 faces of the RB position for the Colts when it's all said n done.

39 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I watched James play lol I don't need to see highlights. I know he had D Henry like touches early in his career, was more common back then tho. I wouldn't say James was more powerful, he's about 10lbs lighter than Taylor. Same speed tho for sure. I think you're downplaying how much of an advantage it gives a RB to play with a QB like Manning. But you're right about the defense, I've said thay before myself that they're built to stop the pass now.

Either way at the end of the day James & Taylor will be the 2 faces of the RB position for the Colts when it's all said n done.

I agree PM makes things easier. I just know a better OL, and pass heavy Ds do too. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if we beat the Pats something like 35-20 and he has 4 TD's and 185 yards, is he in the MVP talk again considering the opponent?

He should be for sure. If he beats LTs record, then I believe he'll win MVP. If not, then I don't think the league gives it to him because of their bias towards QBs.

I don't see this league giving MVP to a RB any time soon.  It's a shame too.  There are some worthy non-QBs this year.

Taylor's the best player on this Colts team and as valuable to them as any other player is to his team.  I'd have him up there with Kupp and a couple others if non-QBs really did have a shot in this thing.  Which they don't unfortunately.  I think the league and perception of QBs has changed permanently to where we might need a new award for them to make the MVP fair again.

Archived