Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary Cap expected to hit max

Zoltan

Article on NFL.com today that the NFL is expecting the Salary cap to hit its max increase next year to 208.2 million. Just for reference this years salary cap was 182.5 million, so that will be an increase of 25.7 million. This should help us with our resigning of Nelson and other players who will be free agents.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-salary-cap-expected-to-hit-208m-in-2022

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I really would like the Colts to splurge on a WR if possible. If Mike Williams or Chris Godwin are available I hope Ballard looks into them. I think we have 51M in cap space next year (I could be wrong on this one for sure), but I'm also not sure who we have inline to resign besides Nelson. They are both relatively young as well, which I think is a factor for Ballard in FA.

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Article on NFL.com today that the NFL is expecting the Salary cap to hit its max increase next year to 208.2 million. Just for reference this years salary cap was 182.5 million, so that will be an increase of 25.7 million. This should help us with our resigning of Nelson and other players who will be free agents.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-salary-cap-expected-to-hit-208m-in-2022

Tag him. I wouldn't sign him based on his performance this year.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is still under contract next year

I would let him play it out & sign him after his 5th year (tag if you have to) to ensure he doesn't have serious issues going on with his back

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

49 minutes ago, IinD said:

I've never been one to say go all in, but it would be nice if we sold our soul to the devil once....I know it rarely translates to a SB but as a fan would be cool to see us try to go all in.

We’re all in this year, salary cap wise.   We’re in the  process of spending practically every Penny, nickel and dime.   We re-did Hilton’s contract so we could get much needed dollars for the rest of the late season moves we make.    We don’t have much money left. 

And odds are we will spend all of our money next year as well.   Even after we re- sign Q and Fish, we still have many of our own free agents to re-sign as well as the handful of free agents that well sign. 

Our days of not spending $50-100 million are over.    Honestly.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re all in this year, salary cap wise.   We’re in the  process of spending practically every Penny, nickel and dime.   We really-did Hilton’s contract so we could get much needed dollars for the rest of the late season moves we make.    We don’t have much money left. 

And odds are we will spend all of our money next year as well.   Even after we re- sign Q and z fish, we still have many of our own free agents to re-sign as well as the handful if free agents that well sign. 

Our days of not spending $50-100 million are over.    Honestly.    

I totally get it. I just meant flashy free agent names.

Easier said than done I know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

You talking about Nelson who hasn't allowed a sack all season?

He's a guard. Do u think that if they replaced Nelson with a competent starter this offence would take a step back? Oh, and take his contract and say sign two players?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

As much as I along with others would like to see Ballard make some big splashes. He has proven now over 4 years that he only pays big money to players he has drafted or traded for. 

No problem.  He can do a sign and trade like he did with Buckner.  Lol. That said if we make the playoffs Ballard will definitely make a big acquisition this off-season one way or the other.  Irsay will be letting his feelings known to Ballard just like he did last year with TY.  Jim is going to want to try and win it all next year.  He knows we are ready to go all in.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He doesn’t need to be tagged he’s not a free agent.  The OP was referring to extending him which is the norm with core players going into the final year of their deal.  Will the Colts do that?  Stay tuned.

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's a guard. Do u think that if they replaced Nelson with a competent starter this offence would take a step back? Oh, and take his contract and say sign two players?

You’re already 0 for 3 on these predictions.  Now you’re back with more nonsense. 

You predicted we wouldn’t re-sign Leonard this off-season   We did. 

You predicted we wouldn’t re-sign Smith this off-season.    We did. 

You predicted we wouldn’t re-sign Hines this off-season.   We did. 

And we WILL re-sign Nelson this off-season.  This isn’t hard to predict.    We will NOT make him play on his 5th year option only and then try to re-sign him.   That’s not happening.  Ballard won’t do it.   Nelson’s agent wouldn’t allow it.  Neither would Irsay.  

Not only will it get done, but I believe it will happen BEFORE free agency.  Because re-signing Nelson has implications for both Glow and Reed.   This will get done pretty quickly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You’ve been making this same argument for years.    If I had $1 for every time you’ve made an anti-Nelson argument, I’d be rich!   

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well, if you believe you are actually weakening the LT & C position with his departure, well then, of course. I Certainly believe it!

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No problem.  He can do a sign and trade like he did with Buckner.  Lol. That said if we make the playoffs Ballard will definitely make a big acquisition this off-season one way or the other.  Irsay will be letting his feelings known to Ballard just like he did last year with TY.  Jim is going to want to try and win it all next year.  He knows we are ready to go all in.  

Write it in stone that Ballard and Irsay will be as aggressive as possible to put a SB Contender on the field next season. 

With all of the young talent being developed throughout the roster, and CB'S Belief in this type of defense, i don't see a position that he would spend $10-$14M+ on. Did Jamal Adams extend? Now a stud like that, yippee!
 Oke is gonna have to step it up, i know that. 

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Write it in stone that Ballard and Irsay will be as aggressive as possible to put a SB Contender on the field next season. 

With all of the young talent being developed throughout the roster, and CB'S Belief in this type of defense, i don't see a position that he would spend $10-$14M+ on. Did Jamal Adams extend? Now a stud like that, yippee!

Guys like Okereke and Rock and Willis are very unlikely to get new deals this off-season UNLESS they take deals that are very favorable to the team.   They’ve all got to step up their play.   We will let them play on the 4th year of their rookie deal, and then in the off-season of ‘23 then we will re-sign them. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I’d be shocked if Oke got an extension this off-season regardless of cap space.

• Thanks 1

Always a challenge when your top young players come due for their second contract. I suspect Nelson is signed and never forced to play under the tag.  But make no mistake: this team badly needs another WR to give Pittman a partner. They have to upgrade the WR corps with a younger FA vet. And if that comes at the expense of not re-signing a player like Okereke or Rhodes, so be it. 

2 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

I would be all for signing Chris Godwin to a nice contract.

He will probably be out of our price range probably 16 to 18 million per year and the 25 million increase in cap space. I think Michael Gallup may be an option at 11 million but I could see him getting overpaid as well

For all that want flashy signings, Q will be about as big and flashy a signing as you could have. Just like signing Darius. No need to get bored just because they are our own players. Darius, Smith, Hines, Buckner, Wentz, and soon Q and still in good shape with the cap, dead money, etc. I'd say Ballard knows how to wisely spend our money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well, if you believe you are actually weakening the LT & C position with his departure, well then, of course. I Certainly believe it!

Let's say this. Would u agree that Nelson is injured and say at 75% or so? Do u think the offense has taken a step back because Nelson is not at 100%? We don't need an all pro guard for this offense to be #4 overall. Take the money and spend it else where. Lots of holes on defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let's say this. Would u agree that Nelson is injured and say at 75% or so? Do u think the offense has taken a step back because Nelson is not at 100%? We don't need an all pro guard for this offense to be #4 overall. Take the money and spend it else where. Lots of holes on defense.

No I think the offense is succeeding because we have a really good offensive line, which is because of the presence of Nelson. As soon as he arrived it all started to change for the OL. Not just because of his play but his leadership as well.

You play way too much Madden. He aint going anywhere.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This line has actually taken a step back in pass protection the last few weeks imo. If that's due to Nelson and his injury and not being able to move to help others with protection, then it isn't acceptable. Wentz needs more time to throw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Rumors are the falcons might try to move Calvin Ridley this off-season…I’d trade a first for him.

Ridley would be an excellent addition for the Colts.  Of course this would all hinge on if he truly is in a better frame of mind and wants to resume his career.  2022 would be the final year of his current contract.  A trade would provide the Falcons with 11.1m of much needed cap space.  The Colts would pick that up but it’s close to being an even exchange with TY’s number.  If they are thinking about moving him I think it would definitely be worth exploring.   He would be a great compliment to Pittman.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IinD said:

I totally get it. I just meant flashy free agent names.

Easier said than done I know.

I am not concerned about flashy free agent names.  I am concerned about adding guys that help us win.  I think we are more likely to pick up a couple of "tier 2" guys.  I am not even sure what I mean by tier 2 or what the criteria would be.  I would just be surprised if Ballard picks up a top 5 - 10 guy unless he really believes it's a guy that will make a difference in a SB run.

• Like 1

Just now, gspdx said:

I am not concerned about flashy free agent names.  I am concerned about adding guys that help us win.  I think we are more likely to pick up a couple of "tier 2" guys.  I am not even sure what I mean by tier 2 or what the criteria would be.  I would just be surprised if Ballard picks up a top 5 - 10 guy unless he really believes it's a guy that will make a difference in a SB run.

Yeah I see the same with the second tier type pickups.

I was talking more about maybe getting one big money guy who's actually an automatic star.

But I'd understand if we don't because there's going to be a lot of spots to improve (secondary/WR/pass rush).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ridley would be an excellent addition for the Colts.  Of course this would all hinge on if he truly is in a better frame of mind and wants to resume his career.  2022 would be the final year of his current contract.  A trade would provide the Falcons with 11.1m of much needed cap space.  The Colts would pick that up but it’s close to being an even exchange with TY’s number.  If they are thinking about moving him I think it would definitely be worth exploring.   He would be a great compliment to Pittman.

Very articulate post. Appreciate it

• Thanks 1