Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor: First Colt ever to be a back to back AFC Offensive Player of the Month.


EastStreet
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is bit surprising given we've had some pretty good offensive plays.

 

Can't believe Manning never got the honor. Pretty huge feat if Peyton never did it. Robert Mathis (2013) and Mike Vanderjagt (2003) both got the honor twice in a season, but not back to back, and Taylor looks to be the first on offense to do it twice in a season.

 

JT was asked about the Quenton/Reich exchange.

“Quenton’s a leader,” Taylor said. “Quenton is a leader and those guys are always in communication with Coach Reich. Coach Reich trusts Quenton, as well as all of us on the team trust Quenton. So, if he believes there’s something that we can take advantage of, he’s like ‘hey, I think this will be really good.’ We trust Quenton.”

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good award.  Nice job.  JT is a great player to have.

 

The NFL/media is coalescing around  JT being responsible for whatever success the offense has.  Wentz will get the '''yeah but he had a good month too"....award.  LOL.  They can't really make Wentz the star of the team so soon after trashing him so much.

 

Frank can use an assist from somebody in his ear piece calling him out for getting tunnel vision at times....like passing too much or taking unnecessary risks.....and should use someone he trusts.  At times, not every play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When he was drafted I said Taylor was the best college rb I had ever seen and been watching college ball since 1975......he would destroy the same defenses Barkley would look so so against previous weeks.  Caught some flack saying he would be better than Saquan when we drafted him but it is already apparent JT is the best in the game. Funny thing is some questioned his ability to see the openings now most experts site it as his greatest attribute..some even called him the next Trent Richardson (Seriously scroll back and it is still up there...lol).

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

When he was drafted I said Taylor was the best college rb I had ever seen and been watching college ball since 1975......he would destroy the same defenses Barkley would look so so against previous weeks.  Caught some flack saying he would be better than Saquan when we drafted him but it is already apparent JT is the best in the game. Funny thing is some questioned his ability to see the openings now most experts site it as his greatest attribute..some even called him the next Trent Richardson (Seriously scroll back and it is still up there...lol).

I think vision/patience was absolutely an issue 1H of last season, but you could see him improving 2H. Moving from Wiscy's run scheme coming to Indy had to be night and day, so IMO, he ramped pretty fast. He's definitely not having that issue this year. 

 

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

With accomplishment like this they throw the ball 26 consecutive times, you figure.

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think vision/patience was absolutely an issue 1H of last season, but you could see him improving 2H. Moving from Wiscy's run scheme coming to Indy had to be night and day, so IMO, he ramped pretty fast. He's definitely not having that issue this year. 

 

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

Covid shortened off-season was tough on the rookies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Covid shortened off-season was tough on the rookies

Nah. Purely my opinion, but I think it was just the change in scheme. Wiscy's scheme if unique. Much more power, and a lot of FB help/usage. It would be like a Nascar driver going to the Indy circuit lol... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah. Purely my opinion, but I think it was just the change in scheme. Wiscy's scheme if unique. Much more power, and a lot of FB help/usage. It would be like a Nascar driver going to the Indy circuit lol... 

Was that similar to Trent Richardson from Alabama to pro

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Was that similar to Trent Richardson from Alabama to pro

 

Nope. 

Here's a decent read on Wiscy's scheme that I just found. Better than me trying to explain it. 

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/8/15/20806114/watching-film-the-refined-brutality-of-the-wisconsin-offense-badgers-usf-football-jonathan-taylor

 

It's one reason I love JT in the outside zone type of run.

 

Richardson I think just never fully recovered from the knee surgery. I suspect he had issues outside that but nothing firm that I'd post. I recall something earlier this year about him playing FB in Mexico or something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

With accomplishment like this they throw the ball 26 consecutive times, you figure.

Three targets during that infamous 3rd Q (that consecutive pass stat also included the end of the 2Q, which was a TD to TY).  JT led the team in receiving yards at BALT with 116.   26 consecutive passes could be just fine for JT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nope. 

Here's a decent read on Wiscy's scheme that I just found. Better than me trying to explain it. 

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2019/8/15/20806114/watching-film-the-refined-brutality-of-the-wisconsin-offense-badgers-usf-football-jonathan-taylor

 

It's one reason I love JT in the outside zone type of run.

 

Richardson I think just never fully recovered from the knee surgery. I suspect he had issues outside that but nothing firm that I'd post. I recall something earlier this year about him playing FB in Mexico or something. 

He lost alot of speed after torn meniscus but that doesn't account for his lack of vision

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He lost alot of speed after torn meniscus but that doesn't account for his lack of vision

His vision was fine at Bama. 

But overall, he was power back, and best for a power gap system.

Between the knee, and going to zone rush system, just wasn't in the cards for him. 

Not saying his vision was great, but he was seen as having good  vision in college.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

His vision was fine at Bama. 

But overall, he was power back, and best for a power gap system.

Between the knee, and going to zone rush system, just wasn't in the cards for him. 

Not saying his vision was great, but he was seen as having good  vision in college.

No disputing that just weird how much he changed in NFL compared to college. Still trying to understand how some backs are good for a while like Frank gore and emmit smith and some have only a couple good seasons like Eddie lacey 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Stephen said:

No disputing that just weird how much he changed in NFL compared to college. Still trying to understand how some backs are good for a while like Frank gore and emmit smith and some have only a couple good seasons like Eddie lacey 

injury (leg) impacts RBs more than any other. Just a little loss of speed impacts them a bunch, and can require a total change in their game. And aside the loss of speed, they may lose trust in their leg (cuts, etc.). I think a few things impacted him, but the knee is the biggest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

injury (leg) impacts RBs more than any other. Just a little loss of speed impacts them a bunch, and can require a total change in their game. And aside the loss of speed, they may lose trust in their leg (cuts, etc.). I think a few things impacted him, but the knee is the biggest. 

That and the physical nature of his play it seemed like he didn't mind seeking contact instead of hitting the cutback.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Stephen said:

As far as Taylor goes he has already surpassed yardage and tds from last year. If he had started faster he would have been a 2000 yard 20 plus td guy. He could still get 20 tds but would have to averageover 1td a game

I could see him easily breaking off a couple long runs tomorrow early and get 2-3 against the Texan's worst run D in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2021 at 7:36 PM, holeymoley99 said:

When he was drafted I said Taylor was the best college rb I had ever seen and been watching college ball since 1975......he would destroy the same defenses Barkley would look so so against previous weeks.  Caught some flack saying he would be better than Saquan when we drafted him but it is already apparent JT is the best in the game. Funny thing is some questioned his ability to see the openings now most experts site it as his greatest attribute..some even called him the next Trent Richardson (Seriously scroll back and it is still up there...lol).

I also said he would be better than SB and was ridiculed. Specifically by NCF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

To be fair, if JT was hampered by injuries you would be one of the first ones crying that Ballard should never have drafted him.

uh, why would you say that?

Have I complained about PCampbell or KTuray much? Nope, so you're actually being fair lol... 

 

There's no reason to be critical of Ballard for drafting a talented guy with no injury real injury.

 

I will be critical if Ballard drafts someone with a major injury in college, and then has performance or additional injuries in the NFL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...