Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite Colts Uniforms

sb41champs

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

It just seems kind of clumsy and orchestrated. If you are going to do a 1956 throwback, actually do it with the players that were on the team. Acknowledge they were the Baltimore Colts at that time, not the generic “ Colts .” 
Don’t put modern day players into old throwback films that were doctored. It’s not about splitting team history, it’s about getting NFL history correct. 
I can’t certainly speak for Indy, but I think most fans would rather have an 84 ,95 , or 06 throwback , rather than a 1956 one they know nothing of. I’m not counting some of you guys because I know you know Colts history, but probably most fans. 

Like i said, theres no purpose to a 84, 95, etc cuz you are looking at that uni every week.

The Colts, thankfully, havent ruined the logo by updating (dolphins, jets, ) or change color schemes every other year, or doing the predictable black uni thing.  You actually have to go back to a 1956 year to actually get a “throwback”, or significant difference.

And acknowledge Baltimore?  Why?  Because they treat the team so well now?  To heck with Baltimore.  They werent interested in this one once, and now They have a new team.  

The Colts are in Indy.  They dont “belong” to Indy.... merely based there.  Like basically every team except the Packers i guess.

Im in Pa, a couple hours from Baltimore.  I could have got a divorce, and switched to the ravens and been at every home game , but ............. NAH..... i have too much history and, well, just no.  Never even a debate of Ravens, steelers, or eagles.

I’m a Colt till death.  Maybe beyond if Shirley McClaine knows anything.

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Like i said, theres no purpose to a 84, 95, etc cuz you are looking at that uni every week.

The Colts, thankfully, havent ruined the logo by updating (dolphins, jets, ) or change color schemes every other year, or doing the predictable black uni thing.  You actually have to go back to a 1956 year to actually get a “throwback”, or significant difference.

And acknowledge Baltimore?  Why?  Because they treat the team so well now?  To heck with Baltimore.  They werent interested in this one once, and now They have a new team.  

The Colts are in Indy.  They dont “belong” to Indy.... merely based there.  Like basically every team except the Packers i guess.

Im in Pa, a couple hours from Baltimore.  I could have got a divorce, and switched to the ravens and been at every home game , but ............. NAH..... i have too much history and, well, just no.  Never even a debate of Ravens, steelers, or eagles.

I’m a Colt till death.  Maybe beyond if Shirley McClaine knows anything.

At least you didn’t become a Steelers fan ! As far as the throwback, he literally put merchandise in the team shop saying Baltimore Colts ! The ultimate throwback !

To your point that the fans weren’t interested in the Colts, that’s not quite true . Attendance was down because of poor product at the time, but that happens in most cities. As usual, it was an owner versus the city for a better stadium and revenue , and the fans get run over in the process. 
As far as acknowledging Baltimore, the point is acknowledging the history correctly as it was at the time. That’s all I’m saying. The fans and the Ravens never abandoned the Baltimore Colts legacy. If the fan base didn’t care, you wouldn’t have the Unitas statue, Baltimore Colts in the Ravens ring of honor, or the Super Bowl 5 trophy here. We also use the old Baltimore Colt fight song , for the Ravens, with slightly different lyrics, and the old Colt marching band is now the fighting Ravens. We’ve had a lot of old Baltimore Colts like Bruce Laird, Tom Matte, and Stan White covering Ravens games on TV and radio. Many of us own a lot of old Colts memorabilia. So the fans do care. 
So to us, the Baltimore Colts is our throwback history even though the NFL doesn’t say that. 
I get where you are coming from, but to me, it was Baltimore Colts fan, 12 years in the desert, Baltimore Ravens fan. I have a lot of respect for the Indy Colts history post 1984. Good city, good fans, their own unique history.  I’m not against Indy putting together a Baltimore Colts throwback night or uniform, but don’t time travel Deforest Buckner back to 1956 in clumsy promos  ! At least you had Lenny there at the stadium. That was more appropriate. 

At least you didn’t become a Steelers fan ! As far as the throwback, he literally put merchandise in the team shop saying Baltimore Colts ! The ultimate throwback !

To your point that the fans weren’t interested in the Colts, that’s not quite true . Attendance was down because of poor product at the time, but that happens in most cities. As usual, it was an owner versus the city for a better stadium and revenue , and the fans get run over in the process. 
As far as acknowledging Baltimore, the point is acknowledging the history correctly as it was at the time. That’s all I’m saying. The fans and the Ravens never abandoned the Baltimore Colts legacy. If the fan base didn’t care, you wouldn’t have the Unitas statue, Baltimore Colts in the Ravens ring of honor, or the Super Bowl 5 trophy here. We also use the old Baltimore Colt fight song , for the Ravens, with slightly different lyrics, and the old Colt marching band is now the fighting Ravens. We’ve had a lot of old Baltimore Colts like Bruce Laird, Tom Matte, and Stan White covering Ravens games on TV and radio. Many of us own a lot of old Colts memorabilia. So the fans do care. 
So to us, the Baltimore Colts is our throwback history even though the NFL doesn’t say that. 
I get where you are coming from, but to me, it was Baltimore Colts fan, 12 years in the desert, Baltimore Ravens fan. I have a lot of respect for the Indy Colts history post 1984. Good city, good fans, their own unique history.  I’m not against Indy putting together a Baltimore Colts throwback night or uniform, but don’t time travel Deforest Buckner back to 1956 in clumsy promos  ! At least you had Lenny there at the stadium. That was more appropriate. 

I read your previous posts as well. As a fan I would be fine with just the Indianapolis history but I didn't become a fan until the Colts moved here in 1984. So that is why I am ok with it. Since the Colts have been in Indy, we would have plenty banners:

1987 AFC East Division Champs

1995 AFC Conference Finalist

1999 AFC East Division Champs

2003 AFC South Division Champs

2003 AFC Conference Finalist 

2004 AFC South Division Champs

2005 AFC South Division Champs

2006 AFC South Division Champs

2006 AFC Conference Finalist

2006 AFC Champs

2006 World Champions

2007 AFC South Division Champs

2009 AFC South Division Champs

2009 AFC Conference Finalist 

2009 AFC Champions

2010 AFC South Division Champs

2013 AFC South Division Champs

2014 AFC South Division Champs

2014 AFC Conference Finalist

-Great history but not any big accomplishments since the 2014 season. What I consider big accomplishments are winning your division, making the AFC Title Game, winning the AFC, winning the SB.

My Indianapolis ROH would consist of:

Offense

Peyton Manning and his number #18 would be retired! (QB)

Marvin Harrison and his number #88 would be retired! (WR)

Reggie Wayne (WR)

Edge James (RB)

Eric Dickerson (RB)

Marshall Faulk (RB)

Chris Hinton (OG/L-ROT)

Jeff Saturday (C)

Jim Harbaugh (QB)

Defense

Dwight Freeney (DE)

Robert Mathis (DE)

Bob Sanders (S)

SP Teams

Adam Vinatieri

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I read your previous posts as well. As a fan I would be fine with just the Indianapolis history but I didn't become a fan until the Colts moved here in 1984. So that is why I am ok with it. Since the Colts have been in Indy, we would have plenty banners:

1987 AFC East Division Champs

1995 AFC Conference Finalist

1999 AFC East Division Champs

2003 AFC South Division Champs

2003 AFC Conference Finalist 

2004 AFC South Division Champs

2005 AFC South Division Champs

2006 AFC South Division Champs

2006 AFC Conference Finalist

2006 AFC Champs

2006 World Champions

2007 AFC South Division Champs

2009 AFC South Division Champs

2009 AFC Conference Finalist 

2009 AFC Champions

2010 AFC South Division Champs

2013 AFC South Division Champs

2014 AFC Conference Finalist

-Great history but not any big accomplishments since the 2014 season. What I consider big accomplishments are winning your division, making the AFC Title Game, winning the AFC, winning the SB.

My Indianapolis ROH would consist of:

Offense

Peyton Manning and his number #18 would be retired! (QB)

Marvin Harrison and his number #88 would be retired! (WR)

Reggie Wayne (WR)

Edge James (RB)

Eric Dickerson (RB)

Marshall Faulk (RB)

Chris Hinton (OG/L-ROT)

Jeff Saturday (C)

Jim Harbaugh (QB)

Defense

Dwight Freeney (DE)

Robert Mathis (DE)

Bob Sanders (S)

SP Teams

Adam Vinatieri

It really is an excellent history. Some really great players you mentioned , and plenty of banners. The only thing I don’t like is the finalist banners in a stadium. I think banners should be reserved for division or conference championships , and the Super Bowl. The banners also highlight how great Peyton Manning really was. A lot of banners during that era. 

19 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

It really is an excellent history. Some really great players you mentioned , and plenty of banners. The only thing I don’t like is the finalist banners in a stadium. I think banners should be reserved for division or conference championships , and the Super Bowl. The banners also highlight how great Peyton Manning really was. A lot of banners during that era. 

I think making the AFC Title Game is a big accomplishment is why I listed those. Yeah it sucks if you make it and lose but being 1 of 4 teams at the end is very good, borderline great. That is just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think making the AFC Title Game is a big accomplishment is why I listed those. Yeah it sucks if you make it and lose but being 1 of 4 teams at the end is very good, borderline great. That is just my opinion.

I guess we could put a couple up in Baltimore for 2009 and 2011, but it would only remind me of losses to the Steelers and Patriots. It is great, but not a Championship in my opinion. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You guys should've beat the Pats in 2011, your FG blew it bigtime! 

Yes, that was a painful loss. Honestly, it never should have gotten to that point as Lee Evans dropped a TD right in his hands. That 2011 Ravens team was better than the 2012 SB winning team. I guarantee you we would have beaten the Giants that year. We matched up better with them than NE. A lost ring, much like you guys in 2009. You had the best team by far that year 

32 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

What is baffling is, out of all of those accomplishments I listed, we haven't accomplished 1 of them since the 2014 season. It doesn't seem like it has been that long.

Just now, The Old Crow said:

Yes, that was a painful loss. Honestly, it never should have gotten to that point as Lee Evans dropped a TD right in his hands. That 2011 Ravens team was better than the 2012 SB winning team. I guarantee you we would have beaten the Giants that year. We matched up better with them than NE. A lost ring, much like you guys in 2009. You had the best team by far that year 

Yeah Lee Evans had it I thought but they ruled it incomplete. At least in 2009 we won the Conference. 2005 was just a nightmare way to end the season, the only thing that dominant team has to show for is, an AFC South Division Championship. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is baffling is, out of all of those accomplishments I listed, we haven't accomplished 1 of them since the 2014 season. It doesn't seem like it has been that long.

It should have been more. The Luck years should be going on right now. Just bad luck with injuries similar to the Bert Jones years. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Lee Evans had it I thought but they ruled it incomplete. At least in 2009 we won the Conference. 2005 was just a nightmare way to end the season, the only thing that dominant team has to show for is, an AFC South Division Championship. 

You had a lot of great teams during Peyton’s era. We couldn’t beat you. I was at that 2006 playoff game in Baltimore , and if you would have told me we would hold the Colts to 15 points and lose, I would tell you that you were crazy. Bob Sanders played great that day. That team wasn’t your best team, like ours in 2012, but both won Super Bowls. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

You had a lot of great teams during Peyton’s era. We couldn’t beat you. I was at that 2006 playoff game in Baltimore , and if you would have told me we would hold the Colts to 15 points and lose, I would tell you that you were crazy. Bob Sanders played great that day. That team wasn’t your best team, like ours in 2012, but both won Super Bowls. 

Yeah that 2006 Baltimore team was outstanding, we got lucky to get out of there with a win. That game proved we could play physical with anyone.

Yeah, as an Indianapolis Colts fan that lives in Indy, I don't personally care about the Baltimore history, only the Indianapolis history. 

It would be cool if they wore the 90's outfit with lighter blue and white shoes every once and a while. 

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is where the deflated balls started, Harbaugh said he noticed it that game. We just busted them out over it.

Harbaugh noticed it BUT it didnt start there..

The text messages suggest he may have been doing so the entire 2014 season. This which might explain why during a regular season game this past November, Colts players were suspicious that the Patriots were using under-inflated balls — and why the team emailed the league before the AFC Championship, asking them to look into the matter.

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Harbaugh noticed it BUT it didnt start there..

The text messages suggest he may have been doing so the entire 2014 season. This which might explain why during a regular season game this past November, Colts players were suspicious that the Patriots were using under-inflated balls — and why the team emailed the league before the AFC Championship, asking them to look into the matter.

One pass I still can't get of out of my head was when it was only 7-0 Pats and Brady threw a dart in between 2 Colts defenders about 40 Yards downfield to one of his RB's. That was in the wind, it looked like a nerf ball. How that ball got there didn't seem real. 

Some people tell me, well the Pats played better when the balls weren't deflated in the 2nd half. What people don't understand is they were already up 17-7 and could play loose at that point and we were in panic mode forcing things. Of course they should've played better at that point even using Watermelons. They had a huge cushion so the game was over because of it playing in NE. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One pass I still can't get of out of my head was when it was only 7-0 Pats and Brady threw a dart in between 2 Colts defenders about 40 Yards downfield to one of his RB's. That was in the wind, it looked like a nerf ball. How that ball got there didn't seem real. 

Some people tell me, well the Pats played better when the balls weren't deflated in the 2nd half. What people don't understand is they were already up 17-7 and could play loose at that point and we were in panic mode forcing things. Of course they should've played better at that point even using Watermelons. They had a huge cushion so the game was over because of it playing in NE. 

And they barely beat the Ravens even with deflated balls, odds of them winning were not good at all so they wouldnt even be in the AFC title game....some people forget that as well (Not Colts players,management nor fans but casual fans).

16 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

And they barely beat the Ravens even with deflated balls, odds of them winning were not good at all so they wouldnt even be in the AFC title game....some people forget that as well (Not Colts players,management nor fans but casual fans).

We all know what those NE people were doing. Dirty tricks at every turn. 

6 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Colts and Ravens are two DIFFERENT organizations and teams.  The Colts didnt become the Ravens.  The BROWNS became the Ravens.

Actually , you should be trying to steal the Browns “legacy.”

See how ugly it gets?  What about St Louis?  They have NO Rams history? (It was originally LA anyway?  
  I know its a bummer that the Ravens throwbacks still have their baby teeth, but that’s history.

10 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

A quick note on # 88. That number should have been retired with John Mackey. Obviously it didn’t , and Harrison wore it well , but it definitely should be retired acknowledging both gentlemen. 

I went back home when my Mom died three years ago. Went to my room where I grew up. The only poster I’d ever owned was still hanging- #88- John Mackey!!!!

12 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

The Ravens as well as the Chiefs the week before game planned from the poor run defense we had at the end of season. Ravens thought they could pound us as did the chiefs with Larry Johnson but Dungy made some adjustments and Bob Sanders came back from injury and our run D met the challenge.  Actually,  our porous run D at end of season helped our SB run because the chiefs & ravens abandoned a balance attack and stubbornly kept trying to run it. 

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The Ravens as well as the Chiefs the week before game planned from the poor run defense we had at the end of season. Ravens thought they could pound us as did the chiefs with Larry Johnson but Dungy made some adjustments and Bob Sanders came back from injury and our run D met the challenge.  Actually,  our porous run D at end of season helped our SB run because the chiefs & ravens abandoned a balance attack and stubbornly kept trying to run it. 

The largest advantage for the Colts in that game was that we had Matt Cavanaugh as OC . Bad coach. 

17 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Colts and Ravens are two DIFFERENT organizations and teams.  The Colts didnt become the Ravens.  The BROWNS became the Ravens.

Actually , you should be trying to steal the Browns “legacy.”

See how ugly it gets?  What about St Louis?  They have NO Rams history? (It was originally LA anyway?  
  I know its a bummer that the Ravens throwbacks still have their baby teeth, but that’s history.

Why would we want the Browns legacy ? We had nothing to with that. However, we did go to the Colt’s games from the 50’s to the 80’s. It happened, it was a fact, and it’s history. 

The largest advantage for the Colts in that game was that we had Matt Cavanaugh as OC . Bad coach. 

One thing I noticed in most of our matchup's in the Peyton era was Dwight Freeney owned Jonathan Ogden. Nobody else I can think of owned Ogden as he was one of the best OT's of all-time. We were always able to get pressure on your QB's so even in games where Peyton struggled, we could still win.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing I noticed in most of our matchup's in the Peyton era was Dwight Freeney owned Jonathan Ogden. Nobody else I can think of owned Ogden as he was one of the best OT's of all-time. We were always able to get pressure on your QB's so even in games where Peyton struggled, we could still win.

That is correct. That actually came up in many newspaper articles. Ogden did struggle with Freeney. 
The bottom line was we just couldn’t beat Peyton. We finally got him when he was with Denver, but that took a lot of luck. 

On 12/3/2021 at 9:22 PM, WoolMagnet said:

To my dying day, there will always be a “silent” Baltimore in front of the Colts for me.  Memorial is where i developed the deep personal challenge connection to the horseshoe.  Just something about that blue shoe n the white helmet.  Instantly connects me to my childhood and wonderful memories.

I honestly feel the same. Not to step on Indy folks, but nothing sounds as good as Baltimore Colts! Followed to Indy, almost jumped ship as a kid for that very reason.  Happy that I didn't. Remember worrying if they were going to rename the entire organization. 

29 minutes ago, coltsfan77 said:

I honestly feel the same. Not to step on Indy folks, but nothing sounds as good as Baltimore Colts! Followed to Indy, almost jumped ship as a kid for that very reason.  Happy that I didn't. Remember worrying if they were going to rename the entire organization. 

The cool thing about the Baltimore Colts is that it was named after the Preakness Stakes, and horse racing in Maryland. 
The logos are among the best in sports , as are the simplistic blue and white uniforms. 
The bucking horse logo from the early days is also timeless. 

That is correct. That actually came up in many newspaper articles. Ogden did struggle with Freeney. 
The bottom line was we just couldn’t beat Peyton. We finally got him when he was with Denver, but that took a lot of luck. 

Yeah the Peyton era was strange in this way - we owned the Ravens but the Chargers are the 1 team we couldn't beat, they owned us lol. I often tell people as great as our 2006 team was, I was glad we didn't have to go to San Diego and play them in the AFC Title Game. Pats had to come here instead but Peyton figured out how to beat Tom and BB back in 2005 + we were unbeatable at home in 2006. That 2006 team was 10-0 at home, we took care of our home turf and that is what legendary teams do.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Peyton era was strange in this way - we owned the Ravens but the Chargers are the 1 team we couldn't beat, they owned us lol. I often tell people as great as our 2006 team was, I was glad we didn't have to go to San Diego and play them in the AFC Title Game. Pats had to come here instead but Peyton figured out how to beat Tom and BB back in 2005 + we were unbeatable at home in 2006. That 2006 team was 10-0 at home, we took care of our home turf and that is what legendary teams do.

I wonder how 2006 team ranks all time. (Dungy swears the 2005 team was better by the way)

Archived