Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Favorite Colts Uniforms


sb41champs
 Share

Recommended Posts

color rush...because it's different.  though the unis they wore against Tampa were also different...were they some kind of throwback? I don't recall ever seeing the all white helmet with the horseshoes only on the back.  I remember a blue helmet with white horseshoes on the back, but not the other way around.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

color rush...because it's different.  though the unis they wore against Tampa were also different...were they some kind of throwback? I don't recall ever seeing the all white helmet with the horseshoes only on the back.  I remember a blue helmet with white horseshoes on the back, but not the other way around.  

1956 unis I think they said.  They did it before when PM was at qb.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, J@son said:

color rush...because it's different.  though the unis they wore against Tampa were also different...were they some kind of throwback? I don't recall ever seeing the all white helmet with the horseshoes only on the back.  I remember a blue helmet with white horseshoes on the back, but not the other way around.  

Late 50s throw backs

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Really , the 1956 5-7 Baltimore Colts !

To my dying day, there will always be a “silent” Baltimore in front of the Colts for me.  Memorial is where i developed the deep personal challenge connection to the horseshoe.  Just something about that blue shoe n the white helmet.  Instantly connects me to my childhood and wonderful memories.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

To my dying day, there will always be a “silent” Baltimore in front of the Colts for me.  Memorial is where i developed the deep personal challenge connection to the horseshoe.  Just something about that blue shoe n the white helmet.  Instantly connects me to my childhood and wonderful memories.

Even though I’m a Ravens fan, I’m half a Baltimore Colts fan. I get the franchise stuff, but if I were Irsay, I would stick to

post 1984 stuff. There are plenty of good Indy Colt highlights and top players. Not sure why he is going back to the Carroll Rosenbloom era , that he and his dad had nothing to do with. It is Colt’s history, but not Irsay history. 
 

PS. I do like the Baltimore Colts shirts in the team shop. Pretty cool, and actually better than what was available in that era. Crummy 70’s truckers hats. If you look at old films from any team, you don’t see much fan swag in those days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

When I was a kid, I saw him ( JU) play a pre season game at old Memorial Stadium in Buffalo. OJ was a rookie.

He was a great guy. Always there to greet you at his Golden Arm Restaurant. Old Memorial stadium was old and outdated , but oh, the memories. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Even though I’m a Ravens fan, I’m half a Baltimore Colts fan. I get the franchise stuff, but if I were Irsay, I would stick to

post 1984 stuff. There are plenty of good Indy Colt highlights and top players. Not sure why he is going back to the Carroll Rosenbloom era , that he and his dad had nothing to do with. It is Colt’s history, but not Irsay history. 
 

PS. I do like the Baltimore Colts shirts in the team shop. Pretty cool, and actually better than what was available in that era. Crummy 70’s truckers hats. If you look at old films from any team, you don’t see much fan swag in those days. 

If its Colt history it IS Irsay history.

They own that history.  They paid for it.  Colts are the Colts.

Baltimore, Indy.... no matter.  For Irsay to throw away that rich history would be bad business.  Its where this current team came from.  Its roots.

  To ignore the Baltimore days wouldbe like disney scrapping mickey mouse, cuz now star wars is selling more merch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

If its Colt history it IS Irsay history.

They own that history.  They paid for it.  Colts are the Colts.

Baltimore, Indy.... no matter.  For Irsay to throw away that rich history would be bad business.  Its where this current team came from.  Its roots.

  To ignore the Baltimore days wouldbe like disney scrapping mickey mouse, cuz now star wars is selling more merch.

If Irsay ignored the Baltimore history Id road trip and fix him in an instant trust me....the Colts dating back to 1953 (Not the Miami Seahawks which is NOT the same franchise) is legendary never separate the Balt and Indy clubs they are the same and this franchise is eilte....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

If its Colt history it IS Irsay history.

They own that history.  They paid for it.  Colts are the Colts.

Baltimore, Indy.... no matter.  For Irsay to throw away that rich history would be bad business.  Its where this current team came from.  Its roots.

  To ignore the Baltimore days wouldbe like disney scrapping mickey mouse, cuz now star wars is selling more merch.

Technically. He certainly owns the franchise , but can you really own a legacy and history ? 
I appreciate anyone who is an NFL historian, but I think Irsay actually shortchanges Indy history by constantly bringing up Baltimore Colts history. If you think I’m wrong , check out all of his Twitter contests with Baltimore Colt references , as an example. 
You can buy a Beatles drum, or an NFL franchise , but you don’t get credit for what the Beatles , or Carroll Rosenbloom did.

I get the business angle, but I think Indy Colt fans would appreciate a Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne throwback, over a 1956 Art Donovan throwback. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

If Irsay ignored the Baltimore history Id road trip and fix him in an instant trust me....the Colts dating back to 1953 (Not the Miami Seahawks which is NOT the same franchise) is legendary never separate the Balt and Indy clubs they are the same and this franchise is eilte....

Irsay won’t ever separate it ,as the Baltimore Colts history is a collection like all the Beatles memorabilia he has purchased. Both him and his dad have some connection to 1970’s Baltimore Colts history, but he seems to put old 1950’s- 1960’s Baltimore Colts history, over 1984 -present Indy Colts history. The post 1984 history is pretty good in its own right. Irsay taking credit as chief historian of Carroll Rosenbloom history , is similar to Dan Synder taking credit for the old Sammy Baugh Washington. Redskins era. 
I just see Irsay trying to turn history into a generic Colts. The reality is the Indianapolis and Baltimore Colts are different cities , different eras, and a totally different history  , although technically the same franchise. 
It’s technically the same , but 90 % of the Indy fan base know nothing of the Baltimore Colts except they came from Baltimore. Same as us with the Orioles , that very few remember the old St Louis Browns days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Technically. He certainly owns the franchise , but can you really own a legacy and history ? 
I appreciate anyone who is an NFL historian, but I think Irsay actually shortchanges Indy history by constantly bringing up Baltimore Colts history. If you think I’m wrong , check out all of his Twitter contests with Baltimore Colt references , as an example. 
You can buy a Beatles drum, or an NFL franchise , but you don’t get credit for what the Beatles , or Carroll Rosenbloom did.

I get the business angle, but I think Indy Colt fans would appreciate a Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne throwback, over a 1956 Art Donovan throwback. 

You are wrong I believe on REAL colts fans, we love Artie, we love Geno, we love Lenny....those that love the Colts history ...we never want to see it cast aside...most Balt Colts players embraced it as one and the same. Some didnt like Johnny U...BUT most did like Morrall , Moore,Marchiati ...its is the same club....same timeline....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

You are wrong I believe on REAL colts fans, we love Artie, we love Geno, we love Lenny....those that love the Colts history ...we never want to see it cast aside...most Balt Colts players embraced it as one and the same. Some didnt like Johnny U...BUT most did like Morrall , Moore,Marchiati ...its is the same club....same timeline....

I definitely think there are some Indy Colts fans that embrace both eras. It’s all good. I appreciate the Indy Colts era , Manning, Harrison , etc , as an NFL historian. 
Ravens fans also view it as one era, with a 12 year old gap. The common Denominator for us is the word Baltimore.
You know, I totally got what Robert Mathis said, “ I am Indy, and Indy is me.” It’s pretty much the same with Johnny U and Baltimore. It’s nothing against Indy or it’s fans, it just the history took place in Baltimore in that time, in that place. When you try to put Deforest Buckner, who is probably actually recognized more as a 49er, into a 1956 throwback with Unitas, Moore, and Berry, it’s somewhat ludicrous. Then you doctor an old Baltimore Colts highlight film with Chuck Thompson , and add in modern day Indy Colts. It just leads to some eye ball rolls for those that understand NFL history.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

This isnt the Browns/ravens....

The Browns kept their history. Ravens history started in 1996. I’m glad because I was a Colts fan in 1964. I guess if we got the Browns history I somehow won the 1964 NFL Chsmpionship game against the Colts, and Jim Brown and Otto Graham would be Raven’s Hall of Famers. Glad it didn’t happen. That would be weird. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

BUT the Colts ARE the Colts no ifs and nor buts, no drop in the time line the franchise IS one and the same no one can claim otherwise...well they could but would be wrong and rightfully mocked  and abused......its all one as lenny moore said this past weekend....

It is technically the same franchise , but Lenny is in the Ravens Ring of Honor, and if you noticed, he wore his Hall of Fame jacket and hat, not a Colts outfit. When the Colts were in Baltimore recently , he wore a Ravens hat when introduced with other Ring of Honor members. 
Lenny is a great guy, so whatever he wants to do, god bless him. I think he was there to greet JT , who is a heck of a RB . 
When you think about it, the whole thing is weird. We have the Super Bowl 5 trophy, our Championship banners from 1958. 1959, 1968, and 1970 , are nowhere. They are not hanging in Baltimore or Indianapolis. I would have no problem if they hung in both stadiums. My thoughts about the move in 2021, are a lot different than 1983. It’s a good history.  The more it is celebrated, the better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

Technically. He certainly owns the franchise , but can you really own a legacy and history ? 
I appreciate anyone who is an NFL historian, but I think Irsay actually shortchanges Indy history by constantly bringing up Baltimore Colts history. If you think I’m wrong , check out all of his Twitter contests with Baltimore Colt references , as an example. 
You can buy a Beatles drum, or an NFL franchise , but you don’t get credit for what the Beatles , or Carroll Rosenbloom did.

I get the business angle, but I think Indy Colt fans would appreciate a Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne throwback, over a 1956 Art Donovan throwback. 

The horseshoe is the legacy.  The image.  Not a city, a player, a coach, or owner.

  If i buy a car Elvis once owned, it doesn’t erase that history, or value.

  I get it, you are probably fromBaltimore.   Its obviously still a wound that hasn't healed.

  I was bummed too.  But the city didnt own the team or history.... people did and do.  

  The “history” of the Colts certainly makes more sense connected to the same organization than it does linked to a town with an entirely new team.

  The COLTS part is emphasized in the name, not the city part.  Teams move regularly. Sometimes change names, sometimes dont.  Personally, i wouldnt give up that provenance  and added value.  Its MY team (business).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To allow history to be forgotten is one the worst things that can happen. We need to keep the history alive from both cities so that future generations of Colts fans understand the significance of the ‘Shoe and to keep the stories and legacies of the past players in tact. I don’t think @The Old Crow has a problem with that. It’s more how you present the history. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

The horseshoe is the legacy.  The image.  Not a city, a player, a coach, or owner.

  If i buy a car Elvis once owned, it doesn’t erase that history, or value.

  I get it, you are probably fromBaltimore.   Its obviously still a wound that hasn't healed.

  I was bummed too.  But the city didnt own the team or history.... people did and do.  

  The “history” of the Colts certainly makes more sense connected to the same organization than it does linked to a town with an entirely new team.

  The COLTS part is emphasized in the name, not the city part.  Teams move regularly. Sometimes change names, sometimes dont.  Personally, i wouldnt give up that provenance  and added value.  Its MY team (business).

Honestly, I was bummed, but that was long ago. Irsay was a bad owner, but Baltimore also made many mistakes including not building a stadium, eminent domain, etc . The big mistake was not building a stadium for Carroll Rosenbloom , who deserved one. The politicians in Baltimore were bad back then, and they are bad today. Anyway, we all understand the business of the move, as have many other cities. I think we are past that part. 
To me , the first name , means a lot. Whether it is Brooklyn Dodgers or LA Dodgers, or Baltimore or Indy Colts. The logo to

me means nothing without the fans and the support of the city. Robert Mathis got it right about the city connection. 
Anyway, do you really think it’s cool to throw Deforest Buckner into a 1956 Colts video with Unitas, Moore, and Berry to sell a few t shirts ? Is that true to the Colts legacy ? Seems kind of overly commercial to me. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

To allow history to be forgotten is one the worst things that can happen. We need to keep the history alive from both cities so that future generations of Colts fans understand the significance of the ‘Shoe and to keep the stories and legacies of the past players in tact. I don’t think @The Old Crow has a problem with that. It’s more how you present the history. 

True. One of the reasons I’m on this forum is that I do like the horse shoe. I especially like Peyton Manning. He killed the Ravens many times, but you couldn’t help but admire him. A fine gentleman. 
The history is already spread between the two cities. Hang the old Colt Championship banners in both cities, and get back the original Super Bowl 5 trophy back from the Frontiere family. Then both Baltimore and Indy would have a Super Bowl 5 trophy. 
It is a great history that seems to be in an odd purgatory or limbo. It should be celebrated. Totally agree. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:


Anyway, do you really think it’s cool to throw Deforest Buckner into a 1956 Colts video with Unitas, Moore, and Berry to sell a few t shirts ? Is that true to the Colts legacy ? Seems kind of overly commercial to me. 

 

Not sure why you WOULDNT promote it.  What are you gonna do, have 35 year-old throwback unis that look identical to today?

And if you are doing throwbacks, why WOULDN’T you show Unitas, etc?

  Connecting the past with present is the idea behind throwback in the first place.  All the teams do it.  And yea, its commercial.  Not sure why this situation is any different than any team except perhaps emotional in nature.

  You dont split a team’s history based on ownership or city.  You just dont. Makes no sense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Not sure why you WOULDNT promote it.  What are you gonna do, have 35 year-old throwback unis that look identical to today?

And if you are doing throwbacks, why WOULDN’T you show Unitas, etc?

  Connecting the past with present is the idea behind throwback in the first place.  All the teams do it.  And yea, its commercial.  Not sure why this situation is any different than any team except perhaps emotional in nature.

  You dont split a team’s history based on ownership or city.  You just dont. Makes no sense.

It just seems kind of clumsy and orchestrated. If you are going to do a 1956 throwback, actually do it with the players that were on the team. Acknowledge they were the Baltimore Colts at that time, not the generic “ Colts .” 
Don’t put modern day players into old throwback films that were doctored. It’s not about splitting team history, it’s about getting NFL history correct. 
I can’t certainly speak for Indy, but I think most fans would rather have an 84 ,95 , or 06 throwback , rather than a 1956 one they know nothing of. I’m not counting some of you guys because I know you know Colts history, but probably most fans. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...