Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts PFF after 12 games


EastStreet
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nope. My goal is to list inaccurate data. 

 

:sarcasm:

Meh, maybe more of a goal to be something else perhaps...(sarcasm)...I ask because it seemed like Zaire Franklin was on the field more than 32% and 9% the past 2 games. Are the Colts only playing 2 linebackers a majority of the time? EJ Speed shows very limited snaps too..thus the question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Meh, maybe more of a goal to be something else perhaps...(sarcasm)...I ask because it seemed like Zaire Franklin was on the field more than 32% and 9% the past 2 games. Are the Colts only playing 2 linebackers a majority of the time? EJ Speed shows very limited snaps too..thus the question

We almost always play with 2 lbs in nickel.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Meh, maybe more of a goal to be something else perhaps...(sarcasm)...I ask because it seemed like Zaire Franklin was on the field more than 32% and 9% the past 2 games. Are the Colts only playing 2 linebackers a majority of the time? EJ Speed shows very limited snaps too..thus the question

Our base is really a 4-2-5 (nickel) from a pure frequency perspective. We only play 4-3-4 about 20% of the time. That varies week to week according to opponent and game plan of course. 

 

I use PFR most of the time, but there's several sites out there (below) if you're interested. They're typically in synch, but will be a snap or two off each other from time to time. For instance, I checked ZF the last two games, all had him a 9%, but there was a delta small difference the other game (35% vs 32%). That's likely a one snap difference with rounding.

 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2021-snap-counts.htm

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=IND&year=2021

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/11/30/22810881/colts-snap-counts-week-12-vs-bucs

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/indianapolis-colts-snap-counts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

The coaching staff have given up on Turay at this stage. I think the Colts will be looking to bring in a new speed rusher next year. 

I expect to see Turay a lot this week when we get a comfortable lead, he definitely doesnt seem like the same player he once was due to injuries and agree next year they go a different direction.  A shame he showed promise at one time unlike B.B. who never showed much except in preseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I expect to see Turay a lot this week when we get a comfortable lead, he definitely doesnt seem like the same player he once was due to injuries and agree next year they go a different direction.  A shame he showed promise at one time unlike B.B. who never showed much except in preseason.

 

After the 2 sack game vs Miami, thought he was going to break out again, then the groin...

He still had another sack 2 weeks later vs TN, but I think the groin is lingering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Nelson has been one of the lowest graded olinemen.

Even playing gimpy, he graded out elite (89.5) last week in pass pro.

Every other OL gave up at least 3 pressures. Q, none.

And Quenton is the only OL starter with a clean sheet (zero sacks) for the year.

 

Down year for sure, but he's the only OL that kept Wentz safe/clean last week. 

And I'd wager he's back to consistent and elite grading after the bye week.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Our base is really a 4-2-5 (nickel) from a pure frequency perspective. We only play 4-3-4 about 20% of the time. That varies week to week according to opponent and game plan of course. 

 

I use PFR most of the time, but there's several sites out there (below) if you're interested. They're typically in synch, but will be a snap or two off each other from time to time. For instance, I checked ZF the last two games, all had him a 9%, but there was a delta small difference the other game (35% vs 32%). That's likely a one snap difference with rounding.

 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2021-snap-counts.htm

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=IND&year=2021

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/11/30/22810881/colts-snap-counts-week-12-vs-bucs

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/indianapolis-colts-snap-counts

Thanks for clearing that up, it may have seemed a dumb question, but I never noticed they were in nickel to that extent of the time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Thanks for clearing that up, it may have seemed a dumb question, but I never noticed they were in nickel to that extent of the time. 

I'm doing the matchup thread stuff right now, and taking a break. But when I come back, I'll look quickly and give you the %s in terms of LBs used for the last year or so.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Even playing gimpy, he graded out elite (89.5) last week in pass pro.

Every other OL gave up at least 3 pressures. Q, none.

And Quenton is the only OL starter with a clean sheet (zero sacks) for the year.

 

Down year for sure, but he's the only OL that kept Wentz safe/clean last week. 

And I'd wager he's back to consistent and elite grading after the bye week.


Unfortunate he’s probably not going 4/4 with first team All-pros. Despite the numerous injuries he’s still had a solid year. He’s still on a HOF trajectory.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:


Unfortunate he’s probably not going 4/4 with first team All-pros. Despite the numerous injuries he’s still had a solid year. He’s still on a HOF trajectory.

 

I was chatting about that a couple weeks with a buddy. Both said it's looking like a long shot this year. We both agreed though if he close strong in his last 4-5 weeks with stellar grades, he could backslide into the AP primarily due to his previous years. Everyone knows he's still a monster, and is just playing hurt. It'll be interesting, but wouldn't bet against him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

I was chatting about that a couple weeks with a buddy. Both said it's looking like a long shot this year. We both agreed though if he close strong in his last 4-5 weeks with stellar grades, he could backslide into the AP primarily due to his previous years. Everyone knows he's still a monster, and is just playing hurt. It'll be interesting, but wouldn't bet against him.


That could still be possible with the bye coming up soon and he gets more healthy down the stretch run. Looking back that short term IR worked out well for both Nelson and the Colts. He was dealing with both a back and ankle injury and had plenty of time to rest and rehab both injuries. Colts also found out Chris Reed is a reliable back up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JediXMan said:


That could still be possible with the bye coming up soon and he gets more healthy down the stretch run. Looking back that short term IR worked out well for both Nelson and the Colts. He was dealing with both a back and ankle injury and had plenty of time to rest and rehab both injuries. Colts also found out Chris Reed is a reliable back up. 

 

I'd actually like him to get rest on Sunday. Let Reed come in early if we're up by a couple scores. But I do think he'll be closer to the old Q after the bye. Couple weeks in the hot tub down on the Mayan Rivera singing CardiB... would do him well.  

 

And hoping we can keep Reed and Pryor. Pryor probably more than Reed. Both are great depth. Wish we would have had Pryor playing instead of those who will not be mentioned lol.... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Thanks for clearing that up, it may have seemed a dumb question, but I never noticed they were in nickel to that extent of the time. 

 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm doing the matchup thread stuff right now, and taking a break. But when I come back, I'll look quickly and give you the %s in terms of LBs used for the last year or so.

 

So this year

Oke        98.71

Leonard 97.81

Franklin  17.27

Speed     6.57

Adams    0.13

Total       220.49%, which equates roughly to 2.2 LBs on the field, or 20% 4-3-4

 

2020

Leonard  79.94

Walker    67.54

Oke         66.38

Franklin   8.33

Speed       0.1

Total        222.29 which is 2.22, or 22% 4-3-4

 

Not perfect math I'm sure, but +/- a couple % error potential.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

 

So this year

Oke        98.71

Leonard 97.81

Franklin  17.27

Speed     6.57

Adams    0.13

Total       220.49%, which equates roughly to 2.2 LBs on the field, or 20% 4-3-4

 

2020

Leonard  79.94

Walker    67.54

Oke         66.38

Franklin   8.33

Speed       0.1

Total        222.29 which is 2.22, or 22% 4-3-4

 

Not perfect math I'm sure, but +/- a couple % error potential.

Leonard and Oke are def carrying the load. The numbers are still surprising, looking at 2020 I'd have guessed (and been wrong) that Walker would be up in the 90% range. I'm going to have to pay more attention to these defensive schemes!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Woooooooo. Those r fighting words!!!! I do think he has not been healthy all year and this must b remembered when his extension comes up. Is this just a bad injury filled year for Q or a trend?

If you compare his season to Braden Smith's, Smith sat out a while with the foot, but has now come back and has graded as the best olineman. Nelson sat out a bit, but has apparently not recovered to 100%. 

 

Sometimes a young man's body changes as it matures from age 21 to 26.  Who knows if that freak of nature combination of size, strength and agility can last as he matures.  Or maybe he matured early and has hit a plateau.

 

Nothing can be done about contracts, just speculation and risks about what the direction of his body could be headed.  Just sign him and cross your fingers, IMO.

 

The odds are that a little rest will fix him up to 100%, assuming that he isn't now (don't know that its confirmed that he's playing gimpy at the moment)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Leonard and Oke are def carrying the load. The numbers are still surprising, looking at 2020 I'd have guessed (and been wrong) that Walker would be up in the 90% range. I'm going to have to pay more attention to these defensive schemes!

Walker was playing run downs. Oke was playing passing down Mike, and run down Sam.

IMO, it was a good time share that embraced both their strengths, and hid their weaknesses. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2021 at 1:10 PM, Colt Overseas said:

The coaching staff have given up on Turay at this stage. I think the Colts will be looking to bring in a new speed rusher next year. 

I hope they learned something about drafting guys with good measurables, but bad production and injury history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...