Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk about the Defense

Zoltan

Decided to create a Post focused on the defense and where they are statistically

Overall the colts rank 20th on opponents points per game with 23.6

They are tied with Washington for the most passing touchdowns allowed with 26, but only 8 rushing touchdowns which is 6th fewest. Overall we are tied for third with the Texans for most touchdowns allowed.

As for conversions opponents have a 40.4% 3rd down conversion which is 17th best and a 77.8% 4th down conversion which is 30th

Now when looking at Red Zone Defense when a team reaches the Red Zone the colts allow touchdowns 71.1% of the time (Which is 4th highest behind the Raiders, Lions, and Packers.)

Now to end on some good:

The Defense has caused the most turnovers and only 35.6% of opponents offensive drives end with a score which is 11th best (New England is the best at 26.4%).

There’s a lot more we could go into but I didn’t want to list every single thing, as we are lower middle of the pack in a lot of stats. How I interpret the data is that we are a middle of the pack defense that survives on turnovers before the offense gets into the red zone, and when they do our current scheme for red zone defense is very bad and we can’t hold them to field goals. Our red zone defense and 3rd/4th down opp. conversion rate makes me think we are especially bad at situational football, and that I put on the coach not preparing properly, personally I have been over Flus' defensive play calling  (especially QQH) and think the turnover rate is masking a lot of bad coaching.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the defense comes through with turnovers but more is needed from them. I think that the issues would largely be the same with the defense regardless of the DC/scheme though I know i'm in the minority on that thought.

I believe the issues on defense are largely due to the talent at DE and outside CB.

I really like Paye and Dayo. I think a lot of the success this team has over the next few years are going to depend on how good these two turn out to be. I'm confident that Paye will at least be a solid starter but the Colts really need him to be much more than that. 

Rock has improved this year but I think the Colts need more. There are a lot of QBs who can throw and talented receivers throughout the league that CB has become much more important. Don't get me wrong better pass rush would help a lot but I still think the talent is lacking here. The Colts really need a premium #1 corner.

Without Paye/Dayo improving and improved CB talent the defense is going to be limited, imo. I think the rest of this year is largely going to be what we have seen though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Decided to create a Post focused on the defense and where they are statistically

Overall the colts rank 20th on opponents points per game with 23.6

They are tied with Washington for the most passing touchdowns allowed with 26, but only 8 rushing touchdowns which is 6th fewest. Overall we are tied for third with the Texans for most touchdowns allowed.

As for conversions opponents have a 40.4% 3rd down conversion which is 17th best and a 77.8% 4th down conversion which is 30th

Now when looking at Red Zone Defense when a team reaches the Red Zone the colts allow touchdowns 71.1% of the time (Which is 4th highest behind the Raiders, Lions, and Packers.)

Now to end on some good:

The Defense has caused the most turnovers and only 35.6% of opponents offensive drives end with a score which is 11th best (New England is the best at 26.4%).

There’s a lot more we could go into but I didn’t want to list every single thing, as we are lower middle of the pack in a lot of stats. How I interpret the data is that we are a middle of the pack defense that survives on turnovers before the offense gets into the red zone, and when they do our current scheme for red zone defense is very bad and we can’t hold them to field goals. Our red zone defense and 3rd/4th down opp. conversion rate makes me think we are especially bad at situational football, and that I put on the coach not preparing properly, personally I have been over Flus' defensive play calling  (especially QQH) and think the turnover rate is masking a lot of bad coaching.

Here I’ll sum up our defense very quickly, It Just Sucks Episode 8 GIF by The Bachelorette

Defense needs a couple more play makers. Imagine if we could stop the run as efficiently as the bucs or had a pass rusher that got a key strip sack that altered the momentum of the game. For example on the 3rd and 8 play if we had got a sack there it would have changed the whole game. Also if the offense does turn it over the defense needs to be able to force three and outs or hold the opponent to field goals

I dunno anymore @Zoltan. I go up and down with this one. After a game, i'm ready to shoot Coach Flus into the anus of the sun but then once i've cooled off, yeah i generally tend to see the logic behind his actions.

Now, the first place i start any defensive conversation is the place all Colts fans know well. Pass rush! Since 98 and 93 left, what exactly have we shown there? Fine, fine, even if you dont have elite rushers, you still have to be able to play defense right? Well sure but it's a lot more difficult. It looks like we have a good one in Kwity. Buckner is good, maybe Dayo could be good? The eyeball test says we're getting more pressure on the QB lately so we will see.

The secondary stinks. Lots of injuries, the safeties have been out most of the year, and when they started the year they were BAD, not sure why. 

The linebacking corp are.....so-so. Darius is putting out a CLASSIC season. He's playing well for a guy with one ankle. 

Really, with this defense i'm not sure Flus is the sole issue. Some folks say he needs to dial things back and simplify, others will argue his defense is too simple (Cover 2) but really i think it's hard to judge a man with no pass rush. And before anyone says blitz more, look at the personnel in the secondary, you really want those guys exposed?

Lastly, i dont think there's a good defense in the league this year. MAYBE New England, maybe. We've played some of the top ranked defenses and we have SHREDDED them. It's easy to look at our defense and be mad but we played buffalo, tampa, baltimore, all supposedly very good defenses and we moved the ball on them well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am ready for a change at the DC spot.  I don’t want to go to a 3-4 I just want a more aggressive version of a 4-3, mainly in the secondary.  The just sit back and avoid giving up anything deep while letting teams have five to 10 yards underneath anytime they want and hope they make mistakes driving down the field isn’t working.  

A scheme change isn't gonna do much when the pass rush is inconsistent and the secondary is filled with average players

• Thanks 1

Did anyone watch Eberflus presser Monday. He really threw players and Ballard under the bus. He goes we have what we have and if you have anymore pass rushers send them over.

I am ready for a change.  Not sure it happens but if it does I will be happy.

One good thing he did mention is he said they are playing the run with lighter boxes to help the secondary. That is actually a good development.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:

A scheme change isn't gonna do much when the pass rush is inconsistent and the secondary is filled with average players

A scheme change is going to bring new players at some point.  

the pass rush needs to be better but I think the answers are here and just need more time to develop.  Paye is starting to make his presence known and stallworth is developing into another inside pass rusher which is starting to free up Buck more.  If Dayo pans out the Colts d line could be nasty in a year or two.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Did anyone watch Eberflus presser Monday. He really threw players and Ballard under the bus. He goes we have what we have and if you have anymore pass rushers send them over

He's not wrong.  Ballard has failed in supplying the talent.  If not for a few Leonard punchouts, five years in, this defense would be as bad as the one when Ballard arrived.  Ballard repeatedly blasted the talent on that defense, saying only 1-2 players had enough talent to play.  

That said, Eberflus is not blameless.  I still hate the scheme.  Of course Ballard chose that too.  

• Like 1

I think Flus is kinda micromanaged by Ballard’s philosophy. Not in a huge way, and I know they have the same ideal, but I don’t think he has as much freedom as Reich. Doubt he’s been thrilled with the majority of DL picks, huge focus on athleticism which leads to really raw talent.

Personally, I’m neither for or against Flus. I just think this is what our defense will be under Ballard until/unless he wants to change it up.

39 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I dunno anymore @Zoltan. I go up and down with this one. After a game, i'm ready to shoot Coach Flus into the anus of the sun but then once i've cooled off, yeah i generally tend to see the logic behind his actions.

Now, the first place i start any defensive conversation is the place all Colts fans know well. Pass rush! Since 98 and 93 left, what exactly have we shown there? Fine, fine, even if you dont have elite rushers, you still have to be able to play defense right? Well sure but it's a lot more difficult. It looks like we have a good one in Kwity. Buckner is good, maybe Dayo could be good? The eyeball test says we're getting more pressure on the QB lately so we will see.

The secondary stinks. Lots of injuries, the safeties have been out most of the year, and when they started the year they were BAD, not sure why. 

The linebacking corp are.....so-so. Darius is putting out a CLASSIC season. He's playing well for a guy with one ankle. 

Really, with this defense i'm not sure Flus is the sole issue. Some folks say he needs to dial things back and simplify, others will argue his defense is too simple (Cover 2) but really i think it's hard to judge a man with no pass rush. And before anyone says blitz more, look at the personnel in the secondary, you really want those guys exposed?

Lastly, i dont think there's a good defense in the league this year. MAYBE New England, maybe. We've played some of the top ranked defenses and we have SHREDDED them. It's easy to look at our defense and be mad but we played buffalo, tampa, baltimore, all supposedly very good defenses and we moved the ball on them well.

The Sun has an anus?  I learn something new every day on this forum.  :^)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Defense needs a couple more play makers. Imagine if we could stop the run as efficiently as the bucs or had a pass rusher that got a key strip sack that altered the momentum of the game. For example on the 3rd and 8 play if we had got a sack there it would have changed the whole game. Also if the offense does turn it over the defense needs to be able to force three and outs or hold the opponent to field goals

I don't think you can expect more turnovers when we are already causing alot. I also don't think this level of turnovers is sustainable just for the fact that Leonard is having a career year where he already has 5 FF and 2 Ints.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

2 hours ago, tvturner said:

The only defensive scheme that Flus is in the top 15 for usage is quarters-quarters-half. I think ya'll misjudge how play calling can effect a defense and pass rush, an easy example is when Schwartz joined the eagles he transformed a bottom of the league defense to top 10 in one offseason. Right now our pressure percentage is last in the league at 17.8% That's not just talent that's because we run a system that is easy to gameplan for and makes the DL job harder because of the simplicity. It's also why we see players leave and perform better with other teams. 

The most concerning thing though is that as an offense gets closer to the red zone it's suppose to get harder to run successful plays because of the diminishing field of play. Peyton Manning has even discussed this on the MNF broadcast, yet for our defense we seem to play worse in the red zone which is why the opponent scores touchdowns 71.1% of the time they get into the red zone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Did anyone watch Eberflus presser Monday. He really threw players and Ballard under the bus. He goes we have what we have and if you have anymore pass rushers send them over.

He did??? I am not surprised because this year, Frank mentioned in one interview that he wished the secondary play could be more sticky, and this last week he wished it would be nice if the D could limit the damage from the QB's turnover to a FG etc., things you rarely hear Frank say much. 

I won't be surprised if Flus is gone next year and coaching the Eagles' D or Dolphins D.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

The only defensive scheme that Flus is in the top 15 for usage is quarters-quarters-half. I think ya'll misjudge how play calling can effect a defense and pass rush, an easy example is when Schwartz joined the eagles he transformed a bottom of the league defense to top 10 in one offseason. Right now our pressure percentage is last in the league at 17.8% That's not just talent that's because we run a system that is easy to game plan for and makes the DL job harder because of the simplicity. It's also why we see players leave and perform better with other teams. 

The most concerning thing though is that as an offense gets closer to the red zone it's suppose to get harder to run successful plays because of the diminishing field of play. Peyton Manning has even discussed this on the MNF broadcast, yet for our defense we seem to play worse in the red zone which is why the opponent scores touchdowns 71.1% of the time they get into the red zone.

You touched upon 2 stats that has been the difference between winning and losing so many games for us. 

I'm sorry people, but any defense that plays triple vanilla, retreat and surrender strategy isn't going to hold any lead against any team. Most glaring example was the raven game. For three quarters we dominated them, we STOPPED playing smart aggressive defense when we got the big lead and let the ravens back in the game. Simple as that. Did anyone see how bad Jackson was Sunday night against the browns(4 ints.) The Browns kept mixing up their defenses and confused the #$@$ out of him. It was inexcusable we "let" the ravens comeback and beat us. We beat the Bills 41-15 but couldn't hold a 22-3 lead against the ravens????????????? Come on!

Our D....

17th in total yards pg allowed

19th in passing yards pg allowed

18th in rushing yard pg allowed

20th in points allowed

31st in passing TDs allowed

22nd in passer rating allowed

32 in pressure %

So we range from below average to atrocious. Not one top 10 stat except turnovers... 

Individual wise, Darius of course is top 10 in forced fumbles, but that's a niche stat. 

Both Autry and Houston are top 30 pressures. Defo is right outside the top 30. 

Walker is averaging more tackles per game than Oke or Leonard.

Walker also is grading out better in pass D than Oke too.

Walker has given up 0 TDs. Oke 4, and Leonard 3... 

Hmmmm.

• Like 2

There is also something very wrong when the pass rush is this bad Turay gets 6 snaps and Ben is a healthy scratch . How about giving them more snaps and see what they can do. I do not like how they are handling either of them. Ballard can’t be happy none of his picks are panning out. Lewis is probably the exception. He put a lot od resources in this defense and they really aren’t any better then 2018. That can’t make Ballard happy with the development of his draft picks. Jury still out on paye and Dayo.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Walker is averaging more tackles per game than Oke or Leonard.

Walker also is grading out better in pass D than Oke too.

Walker has given up 0 TDs. Oke 4, and Leonard 3... 

Hmmmm.

I think Okereke is probably the most disappointing player on defense this year. 

In the back of my mind i've been wondering if the Colts might try to bring back Walker in the offseason.

I'm pretty sure he only signed a one year deal for 2-3 million with the Browns. I doubt he gets a major bump up from that. (aside from however much the cap goes up)

My understanding is that Walker wanted to go somewhere he could play more. He is actually playing right at the same % of snaps with the Browns as he was last year for the Colts though.

I know the Colts really like Okereke and have given him a much larger role this year as a result. However, I don't think his play has justified it.

Ballard really likes Walker too and it seems like Walker was a good fit here. This is probably just wishful thinking though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There is also something very wrong when the pass rush is this bad Turay gets 6 snaps and Ben is a healthy scratch . How about giving them more snaps and see what they can do. I do not like how they are handling either of them. Ballard can’t be happy none of his picks are panning out. Lewis is probably the exception. He put a lot od resources in this defense and they really aren’t any better then 2018. That can’t make Ballard happy with the development of his draft picks. Jury still out on paye and Dayo.

Yeah, I think they’re just worse than the guys playing. Well, Turay flashes at least. Banogu is just not good. Bad pick, bad player.

Not sure if I’m misreading your post on lack of development, but not every guy can be coached into a better player. Sometimes low floor high ceiling guys stay at their floor.

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

I think Okereke is probably the most disappointing player on defense this year. 

In the back of my mind i've been wondering if the Colts might try to bring back Walker in the offseason.

I'm pretty sure he only signed a one year deal for 2-3 million with the Browns. I doubt he gets a major bump up from that. (aside from however much the cap goes up)

My understanding is that Walker wanted to go somewhere he could play more. He is actually playing right at the same % of snaps with the Browns as he was last year for the Colts though.

I know the Colts really like Okereke and have given him a much larger role this year as a result. However, I don't think his play has justified it.

Ballard really likes Walker too and it seems like Walker was a good fit here. This is probably just wishful thinking though.

Oke is up and down. Not horrible, not great. But he's no better than Walker on the whole like a lot of people sunshine pumped. Walker is the better tackler and blitzer. I thought Oke would improve in coverage, but hasn't really happened. He's leading us in tackles, but that's likely because Leonard is gimpy.

He's been asked to shoulder more this year with Walker gone, and Darius's ankle. And our D is really a 4-2-5 base, so both LBs are going to get a ton of tackles. I do think Oke has improved playing in traffic, which IMO was his biggest weakness in college and prior season with Indy. Still not "good", but not near as bad as last year. Perhaps things click for him after a full year of being a 3 down guy. I wouldn't bet on it, but I have seen some improvements.

I wouldn't count on Walker coming back. He sounded pretty happy with Cleveland, and made some soft digs about IN dumping him. Not saying he's elite, but we were better with him and Oke playing a timeshare. MLB is devalued as a position, but he'll find a job easily if Cleveland doesn't resign him. I bet they do resign him though. I'd take him back in a heartbeat if he did want to return. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Banogu has been horrible when given snaps. Turay, aside from the Miami game, hasn't done much in pure pass rush situations. 

Great game vs Miami though. Had a sack IIRC vs TN.

Turay's health may be an issue. But Banogu is just not good. 

Jury is not out on Paye. He's grading well, great vs the run, improving vs the pass. He's just not getting home a lot. He's gotten 2 sacks though in past few games. And he's the highest graded rook DE. Jury is back, and he is found guilty of being good. Dayo will take a while.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised that Turay and Lewis start playing alot better if they leave to a new team this offseason

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t want to go to a 3-4 I just want a more aggressive version of a 4-3, mainly in the secondary

First I want to be perfectly clear, I'm not advocating for a switch to a 3-4. I'm also not trying to put words in your mouth because I know you didn't say anything about personnel changes that would be required for a switch to a 3-4.  however inevitably someone will bring it up and I just want to say that we could transition to a 1-gap 3-4 without too much personnel turnover.  However, aside from Wade Philips I'm not sure what DCs run such a scheme in the NFL.  

• Like 1

If we don’t make the playoffs this year Eberflus is going to be the scapegoat. The defense although opportunistic just can’t control the other team. It’s been sad but this is been going on for years is our cornerbacks give way too much space. I don’t know why we don’t do a bump and run since we have pretty quick cornerbacks. The good teams can do that. Also having black men out is not helping and Willis is an upgrade. Rock is still not the cornerback I think he should be and I think he may have hit a ceiling but he’s armed a closer look the season.  I hope that Dayo and  Paye can develop into when we need for them. I think we’re pretty solid inside with Buckner and Stewart. I think we need at least three new starters next season. In rounds 2-4 Ballard simply can’t miss he hast to find three fantastic players and they are out there every year several players in the later rounds turn into awesome pro bowlers. So we need a dynamic cornerback, a rangy linebacker that knows how to spy the RB or QB and a great WR. I can guarantee you Ballard is nervous because he knows he hast to get those three packs correct. I hope the scouting team is doing its job and finding players all across the country that could help this team

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, J@son said:

First I want to be perfectly clear, I'm not advocating for a switch to a 3-4. I'm also not trying to put words in your mouth because I know you didn't say anything about personnel changes that would be required for a switch to a 3-4.  however inevitably someone will bring it up and I just want to say that we could transition to a 1-gap 3-4 without too much personnel turnover.  However, aside from Wade Philips I'm not sure what DCs run such a scheme in the NFL.  

Frankly, I don't care about the front. 4-3 or 3-4, doesn't matter. We're really a 4-2-5 most snaps. 

The top 5 or 10 Ds are split about 50/50 between 4-3 and 3-4. 

I agree we have personnel for 3 DL, but not really the 4 (specifically the 2 Edge).

Wouldn't be hard to transition.

I'd be perfectly happy staying with a 4-3 and just doing a little more blitzing and stunting.

Most of our issues IMO is being super soft with coverage, varying coverage too much, and being super vanilla with the front 4. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Frankly, I don't care about the front. 4-3 or 3-4, doesn't matter. We're really a 4-2-5 most snaps. 

The top 5 or 10 Ds are split about 50/50 between 4-3 and 3-4. 

I agree we have personnel for 3 DL, but not really the 4 (specifically the 2 Edge).

Wouldn't be hard to transition.

I'd be perfectly happy staying with a 4-3 and just doing a little more blitzing and stunting.

Most of our issues IMO is being super soft with coverage, varying coverage too much, and being super vanilla with the front 4. 

agreed...I've said in other posts I'd like a defense similar to what Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio or Steve Spagnuolo run.  I have no doubt there are others that run similar defense but those are the first that come to mind.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, J@son said:

agreed...I've said in other posts I'd like a defense similar to what Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio or Steve Spagnuolo run.  I have no doubt there are others that run similar defense but those are the first that come to mind.

I'm agreeing with you. Easy flip for us if we wanted to change, just would need to figure out OLBs. 

I think our existing D could be salvaged though, with just a change in calls. 

• Like 1

A few years ago, wasn't there talk on this board about the defense being near-elite?  What happened to that?  Myself and I know @Moosejawcoltthought the idea was a bunch of hooey, probably some others thought so too.   But lets just compare:

2018:

Sheard  (5.5 sacks)

Autry (9.0 sacks)

Woods

Margus Hunt (5 sacks)

Leonard  (7.0 sacks)

Walker

Desir

Moore

Hairston/Milton

Geathers

Hooker

2019:

Sheard (4.5 sacks)

Autry  (3.5 sacks)

Grover (3.0 sacks)

Houston  (11 sacks)

Leonard

Walker

Oke

Moore

Desir

Geathers

Hooker

2020:

Houston (8 sacks)

Grover 

Buckner  (9 sacks)

Autry (7.5 sacks)

Leonard

Walker

Oke

Moore

RYS

Rhodes

Willis

Blackmon

2021:  (based on the most playing time) ( I don't have the sack totals through 12 games)

Paye

Lewis/Dayo/AQM

Buckner

Grover/Stallworth

Leonard

Oke

RYS

Rodgers/Rhodes

Moore

Sandejo

Odum

Big drop off in talent from previous years to 2021, IMO.  I'm agnostic towards Flus, but what I've seen is a variety of defensive calls, all yielding the same results...poor.

I think Frank's and Flus comments are clearly directed at the players and indirectly towards Ballard.  Not as a criticism of the boss but just as a matter of fact.  Not much to work with this year.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, J@son said:

Interesting. In Kansas City, the fans have wanted Spags gone for a couple years now. He's public enemy #1.

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A few years ago, wasn't there talk on this board about the defense being near-elite?  What happened to that?  Myself and I know @Moosejawcoltthought the idea was a bunch of hooey, probably some others thought so too.   But lets just compare:

2018:

Sheard  (5.5 sacks)

Autry (9.0 sacks)

Woods

Margus Hunt (5 sacks)

Leonard  (7.0 sacks)

Walker

Desir

Moore

Hairston/Milton

Geathers

Hooker

2019:

Sheard (4.5 sacks)

Autry  (3.5 sacks)

Grover (3.0 sacks)

Houston  (11 sacks)

Leonard

Walker

Oke

Moore

Desir

Geathers

Hooker

2020:

Houston (8 sacks)

Grover 

Buckner  (9 sacks)

Autry (7.5 sacks)

Leonard

Walker

Oke

Moore

RYS

Rhodes

Willis

Blackmon

2021:  (based on the most playing time) ( I don't have the sack totals through 12 games)

Paye

Lewis/Dayo/AQM

Buckner

Grover/Stallworth

Leonard

Oke

RYS

Rodgers/Rhodes

Moore

Sandejo

Odum

Big drop off in talent from previous years to 2021, IMO.  I'm agnostic towards Flus, but what I've seen is a variety of defensive calls, all yielding the same results...poor.

I think Frank's and Flus comments are clearly directed at the players and indirectly towards Ballard.  Not as a criticism of the boss but just as a matter of fact.  Not much to work with this year.

People were talking about an elite defense just early last season.

But unfortunately, their the incredible 1st half last season was an outlier to the past 20 or so games. You can see it in the stat splits from the 1st half of last year vs. the 2nd half.

That 2nd half play has continued this season, but TOs have really covered it up. The Colts were very good at TOs last year (#4), but after 12 games this season, they already have two more...and lead the league.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Interesting. In Kansas City, the fans have wanted Spags gone for a couple years now. He's public enemy #1.

They started playing Willie Gay Jr., Nick Bolton and Juan Thornhill more instead of Anthony Hitchens and Sorensen, they had the depth to do it but were being stubborn playing players who weren't up to the task, replacing them with 1st and 2nd year players who are actually performing for them. A big issue for us is those expected contributions haven't materialized the same way they have for the Chiefs with 2nd year players on defense. Plus, they invested in high priced FAs, who woke up and Spags figured out placing Chris Jones inside was the answer, and Frank Cark with his weapons charge and head messed up, finally focused on just playing football and playing to his talent level. So, sometimes fans do notice things faster and coaches, bound by loyalty or stubbornness, can implement the changes a little later due to whatever reasons, emotional ties to the players or being wowed by the players' practices etc. Bob Sutton got way more rope from Andy Reid too than he would have with Belichick. Matt Patricia, all Patriots fans were glad he was gone after the SB year where Brady threw for 400 yards and 3 TDs in a SB and still lost 33-41 to Nick Foles and the Eagles. 

The fans would prefer improvement in the second half of a regular season over a downward slide and Eberflus' Ds have slid more in the second half of a season and even second half of games consistently thus giving a large sampling of inconsistency in his defensive coaching.

• Sad 1