Foreign to Indianapolis   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a local fan?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Which steak did you get and how cooked?

I got the Prime Ribeye with BÉARNAISE SAUCE. I didn’t like the sauce, but b the peppercorn sauce was better.  I guess I like my food a little salty and I could not taste any salt on the steak.

13 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I say it every time you talk about it, but I absolutely love Colorado. If I am ever able to move, Colorado is my #1 destination, followed by Tennessee. (I'm a mountain person at heart)

When it comes to mountains, Jim Morrison said it right: "The West is the best!" Have you ever visited the Sierra Nevada in California? They have all the advantages of the western mountains (bigger, taller, prettier) but also lack the stifling humidity/rain found in most other ranges in America. Check them out if you like mountains! Cheers!

54 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I got the Prime Ribeye with BÉARNAISE SAUCE. I didn’t like the sauce, but b the peppercorn sauce was better.  I guess I like my food a little salty and I could not taste any salt on the steak.

I like the Oscar sauce the best, but the bearnaise is pretty good. Oscar sauce is a bit pricey for what you get. It's like 20 bucks extra for a scoop lol. If I'm power chowing on the shrimp cocktail sauce, I get the horseradish sauce for the filet. A lot of people put garlic butter on their steaks (similar to Ruth Chris) there. I don't think it's a menu option at St Elmo's, but people just ask for it on the side. 

I'm not really a salt guy, so I really can't comment on lack of salt. I've got the SE's seasoning for steaks, and there's definitely salt in it though. I like the ribeye there, but normally get the filet. Sometimes the one of the bone-in cuts. 

Where else did you eat?

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Ever been to Fogo De Cheau (yea I probably messed that up) it’s a Brazilian Steakhouse. Their house steak is cooked only with salt and it’s freaking amazing. If you’ve never been…highly highly recommend. It’s pricey, but you are St.Elmira so I’m assuming that won’t be an issue…plus it’s all you can eat. 

I live in the Bloomington area. Fighting construction and detours these days it takes me about 90 minutes to make it to Indy. Used to be I could do it in 60. Once interstate 69 is finally finished (in the year 5219, that is) I should be able to make the trip in about 45 minutes or less. 

7 hours ago, DynaMike said:

When it comes to mountains, Jim Morrison said it right: "The West is the best!" Have you ever visited the Sierra Nevada in California? They have all the advantages of the western mountains (bigger, taller, prettier) but also lack the stifling humidity/rain found in most other ranges in America. Check them out if you like mountains! Cheers!

That is one mountain range I have yet to visit (Furthest west I've been is Las Vegas), and I definitely plan to get out there at some point. Some people dislike the thin air out west, but I actually find I can breathe easier. 

7 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I live in the Bloomington area. Fighting construction and detours these days it takes me about 90 minutes to make it to Indy. Used to be I could do it in 60. Once interstate 69 is finally finished (in the year 5219, that is) I should be able to make the trip in about 45 minutes or less. 

We really are the state of never-ending road construction. 

17 hours ago, strt182 said:

Same I'm pretty sure i can see LOS from my upstairs window if not im only 3.5 miles from it .

Yeah ever since the team moved here in 1984, I was able to go to around 50 games in my time. I have never lived more than 20 minutes from the RCA Dome/LOS. I used to work at a place that was right on the cusp of downtown and you could see LOS from our parking lot. I haven't been to a game since 2013 just simply because of age, dealing with parking, dealing with crowds, and I have everything here at home like the Net, etc. where I can follow all the games. All the Colts games are shown in my area too so that helps. 

The 2 games I have been too that I will never forget is the Dallas game in 1999 (when Dallas was good with Aikman and Smith, Marv burning Deion is a play I will never forget), I even ate at St Elmo on that Sunday for the cherry on top and the 4th and 2 Sunday night game in 2009 vs the Pats (Tom vs Peyton)! We won both. Most of the games I have been too where just division games in general, it was an easy ticket and we usually won almost everytime. A lot of Texans, Titans, and Jags games mixed in there lmao .

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I still enjoy how most posters don't realise Steel City doesn't refer to the home of Big Ben.. I still chuckle at getting told by a poster on here I can't haven an opinion on the Colts as non-US fans aren't "real fans".

When I first joined this site I have to admit when I seen SteelCity, first thing I thought of was the Steelers lmao . 

21 hours ago, DynaMike said:

Donner Pass on I80 isn’t as high as Vail Summit- but I’ve had to chain up on both! (Boo-Hiss!!!!).  More snow on Donner……

150 miles uphill from San Fran to the top- 60 miles down to Reno! Lots of truck wrecks from lost brakes…..

On 12/1/2021 at 7:01 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So I am definitely not local but surprised that 2 out of 3 on this Forum are also not local.

That explains the attitudes in several of the Misc Forums Threads, (especially on mask or shutdown rules) where I read them and get the feeling they want the Midwest to function as does NYC or Boston, and have never been close to a Midwestern farm or Indiana Small Town.

22 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ever been to Fogo De Cheau (yea I probably messed that up) it’s a Brazilian Steakhouse. Their house steak is cooked only with salt and it’s freaking amazing. If you’ve never been…highly highly recommend. It’s pricey, but you are St.Elmira so I’m assuming that won’t be an issue…plus it’s all you can eat. 

I’ll have to check that one out.  Thanks for the suggestion!

On 12/1/2021 at 10:12 PM, EastStreet said:

I like the Oscar sauce the best, but the bearnaise is pretty good. Oscar sauce is a bit pricey for what you get. It's like 20 bucks extra for a scoop lol. If I'm power chowing on the shrimp cocktail sauce, I get the horseradish sauce for the filet. A lot of people put garlic butter on their steaks (similar to Ruth Chris) there. I don't think it's a menu option at St Elmo's, but people just ask for it on the side. 

I'm not really a salt guy, so I really can't comment on lack of salt. I've got the SE's seasoning for steaks, and there's definitely salt in it though. I like the ribeye there, but normally get the filet. Sometimes the one of the bone-in cuts. 

Where else did you eat?

We ate at Giordano's the first night and for breakfast on Sunday we ate at Wild Eggs.  The food was amazing there!!

On 12/1/2021 at 7:01 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I've never ever even been close to indy.

So I am definitely not local but surprised that 2 out of 3 on this Forum are also not local.

I think the poll results may be skewed.  Many people thought "local" meant in Indy.    I'm 2 hours north.   

20 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's not really that surprising, more a little poke at Pittsburgh for being a second rate copy cat :thmup:

When I googled "steel city", Pittsburg was the first thing that came up.

From Wiki:

The Steel City is a common nickname for many cities that were once known for their production of large amounts of steel. With industrial production also in developing countries, like those in Eastern Europe and Asia, most of these cities do not produce as much steel as they used to. It is possible there will be new steel cities in those developing countries.

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States; Gary, Indiana, United States; Lorain, Ohio, United States; Pueblo, Colorado, United States; Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia; Hamilton, Ontario, Canada; Jamshedpur, India and Rourkela, India are some of the cities most commonly referred to with this name, in their respective countries.

Pittsburg is "Steel City" to me.

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

When I googled "steel city", Pittsburg was the first thing that came up.

From Wiki:

The Steel City is a common nickname for many cities that were once known for their production of large amounts of steel. With industrial production also in developing countries, like those in Eastern Europe and Asia, most of these cities do not produce as much steel as they used to. It is possible there will be new steel cities in those developing countries.

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States; Gary, Indiana, United States; Lorain, Ohio, United States; Pueblo, Colorado, United States; Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia; Hamilton, Ontario, Canada; Jamshedpur, India and Rourkela, India are some of the cities most commonly referred to with this name, in their respective countries.

Pittsburg is "Steel City" to me.

Not surprising given your locale, but Sheffield was the first, and I might be biased in saying this, the best :P. We do have the 'Steelers' but they're an ice hockey team and jerseys are more Broncos looking than anything else.

A large number of key early steel making processes were discovered here, perhaps most notably the Bessemer process. Before becoming a 'real' grown up and having a proper career I used to work in a steel stockholder so it's a bit sad to see the decline. That being said they've done a good job of regenerating the old industrial area. I also find Detroit interesting in how it's coping with being a declining industrial city.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Not surprising given your locale, but Sheffield was the first, and I might be biased in saying this, the best :P. We do have the 'Steelers' but they're an ice hockey team and jerseys are more Broncos looking than anything else.

A large number of key early steel making processes were discovered here, perhaps most notably the Bessemer process. Before becoming a 'real' grown up and having a proper career I used to work in a steel stockholder so it's a bit sad to see the decline. That being said they've done a good job of regenerating the old industrial area. I also find Detroit interesting in how it's coping with being a declining industrial city.

I also thought you were from Pitt long ago. Then you started using words like "tetchy" and gave yourself away... j/k lol...

You should use a pic of the white rose as your avatar and further confuse folks lol.

Born and raised in Baton Rouge, LA.  Left Louisiana for a few years due to grad school in Oklahoma.  Been a Colts fan since Bert Jones was drafted by the Baltimore Colts.  Die hard fan very since.  It can be tough being a Colts fan down in Saints country and I try to see a Colts game every year.  This year was the Baltimore game.  Ravens fans that I spoke with felt fortunate that they won and thought the Colts are a legit team.

Joseph 

51 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I'm from K-Pax.

Do you get up to Bratislava much? We had a work center there as well as one in Eastern Slovakia in one of previous stops. Always wanted to spend more time in the area, and specifically in Budapest. Spent too much time in Vienna while I should have went elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Do you get up to Bratislava much? We had a work center there as well as one in Eastern Slovakia in one of previous stops. Always wanted to spend more time in the area, and specifically in Budapest. Spent too much time in Vienna while I should have went elsewhere. 

Actually not. I'm working in Budapest. Somehow I did not get to Bratislava ever so far. 

Just now, HungarianColtsFan said:

Hungarian cuisin is far more than paprika chicken and goulash, too bad it isn't advertised as it should.

Oh I'm sure it is. But it was so good I didn't bother trying much else.. Lol 

Had a lot of Langos also...mmmmm

I loved everything about Hungary in general. Awesome people and food.

8 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Actually not. I'm working in Budapest. Somehow I did not get to Bratislava ever so far. 

Cool town. Not a ton to do, but I'd highly recommend going in December if you ever do make it up. The month long Christmas fest in the market square is fun. Drank a bit of medovina every night for a couple weeks and had may gypsy roast sandwiches at the fest. And ate way too much Slovak pizza (why the hell do they put corn on pizza lol) and some potato dumpling dish. But December is a great time for a quaint getaway.

Archived