Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell could be back Christmas day

Stephen

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super news!

As much as i dont think the Colts should extend Parris until he shows something, I really root for the young fella and hope he can shine on!

Wouldn't a 2006 Bob Sanders playoff showing be something? If you aint dreaming, you aint living

5 hours ago, B~Town said:

Rooting for PC such a dynamic player that has just been so unlucky . Seems like a good hard working kid hopefully the freak injuries are behind him . 

Yea it's unfortunate. I still would add a wr during the off-season to be on the safe side. That way we are covered if or if he doesn't work out

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Yea it's unfortunate. I still would add a wr during the off-season to be on the safe side. That way we are covered if or if he doesn't work out

Im with you.  We can’t rely on PC next year though I’d still bring him back.    His raw tools are not easy to find. 

That said, I’d still draft a WR in Day 2 and I’d try to find a quality (but inexpensive) WR on free agency as well.   

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In an interview, Ballard has already said Campbell worked very hard to get back from his knee injury.  

You question his commitment because you’re a frustrated fan, like so many others here. 

But those in the know, have not questioned.  Last years injury was a foot planted in the ground when a defenders helmet crashed into his knee. 

Thus year, a defender fell on his leg in the end zone in his long TD against Houston.  The weight of the defender broke a bone in the foot.  Unfortunate. 

And to show his commitment to his team,  he’ll be back this season to try and help down the stretch.    

And yet here you are questioning his commitment to his job.   I guess the fact that Ballard values character over everything hasn’t registered with you?   

Campbell wasn’t hurt in college.   Started 38 of 39 games over three seasons.  He’s been unlucky as a Colt.   That’s all.  

Totally agree. There’s some pretty negative “fans” here. These injuries, for the most part were just freak accidents. Nothing to do with his character or physique. He’s a pretty solid 6’ 208. 
    Fans scream that we need another receiver and we have a guy that can get behind defenses and all they can do is criticize. Sad.

I’d like to share a perspective on Campbell….

I’d like to bring him back next year for the 4th year of his rookie contract.  I do not want him cut or traded. 

Here’s a hypothetical….  We didn’t draft PC, some other team took him before we did.  And let’s say he had the exact same career for that team as he did for us.  Same injuries, same plays, same everything.   And let’s say that team, frustrated, cuts him. 

Now it’s March of ‘22.  And there’s PC out there as a free agent.   I think Parris Campbell is EXACTLY the type of free agent Chris Ballard would sign.   Super high character.  Captain in high school.  Captain in college.  Started 38 of 39 games at OSU.  Got better every year with potential to get even better in the NFL.   Sign him to a cheap one year deal to let him re-establish his career. 

Well….  We don’t have to do that.  He’s already under our control and at a cheap number.  I’d still draft a Day Two wide receiver and sign another modest FA WR.   I think we say goodbye to Hilton and we might even let Pascal test the FA market.  

But PC still has lots of upside.  Enough that I’d bring him back with the hope he starts to show his full potential.   I look forward to seeing PC the last few weeks.  

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d like to share a perspective on Campbell….

I’d like to bring him back next year for the 4th year of his rookie contract.  I do not want him cut or traded. 

Here’s a hypothetical….  We didn’t draft PC, some other team took him before we did.  And let’s say he had the exact same career for that team as he did for us.  Same injuries, same plays, same everything.   And let’s say that team, frustrated, cuts him. 

Now it’s March of ‘22.  And there’s PC out there as a free agent.   I think Parris Campbell is EXACTLY the type of free agent Chris Ballard would sign.   Super high character.  Captain in high school.  Captain in college.  Started 38 of 39 games at OSU.  Got better every year with potential to get even better in the NFL.   Sign him to a cheap one year deal to let him re-establish his career. 

Well….  We don’t have to do that.  He’s already under our control and at a cheap number.  I’d still draft a Day Two wide receiver and sign another modest FA WR.   I think we say goodbye to Hilton and we might even let Pascal test the FA market.  

But PC still has lots of upside.  Enough that I’d bring him back with the hope he starts to show his full potential.   I look forward to seeing PC the last few weeks.  

Bingo. It's a no brainer. In effect he is on a cheap prove it 1 year contract next year. We already know his character and how hard he works (a weaker man might have just quit by now). I think many if not most fans would be clamoring to sign him if he was another team's FA. 

My ideal scenario is that he comes back and puts up numbers that will have us contemplating extention next year!! 

i dont know why people act like he was a bad pick, or a bust. he is obviously talented. i just keep getting let down every time i get reinvested back into him. so at this point, my hopes are low. but i would love for him to pop off. 

6 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

i dont know why people act like he was a bad pick, or a bust. he is obviously talented. i just keep getting let down every time i get reinvested back into him. so at this point, my hopes are low. but i would love for him to pop off. 

They say he is a bad pick because he can't stay healthy

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

They say he is a bad pick because he can't stay healthy

Yup. I agree with those who say bring him back since he’s talented. But you CANNOT count on him next year. Which means it’s time to invest in an experienced WR with some wheels.  And yes, the Colts will have to spend some $ here. Eliminate TY’s contract next year, as no doubt will

happen, and the team has very, very little invested in one of the most critical positions on the team. That has to change.  

On 12/2/2021 at 5:55 PM, AustinnKaine said:

He wasn’t a bad pick. But he is a bust. If you look at what most “experts” around the league have routinely defined as a bust, it’s basically just a player who hasn’t or didn’t live up to the draft day hype  and /or their draft position, whether it’s their own fault(crime, drugs, work habits, etc), or unfortunate things like injuries. 

sadly, Campbell is exactly the latter part of that definition 

I honestly forget he’s on the team sometimes.  Regardless of if the injuries are his fault or not, once a player gets dinged up like that, that many times in a row, it’s hard to ever come back. The combing of the mental and physical toll that takes is a tough hill to climb.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

He wasn’t a bad pick. But he is a bust. If you look at what most “experts” around the league have routinely defined as a bust, it’s basically just a player who hasn’t or didn’t live up to the draft day hype  and /or their draft position, whether it’s their own fault(crime, drugs, work habits, etc), or unfortunate things like injuries. 

sadly, Campbell is exactly the latter part of that definition 

This sums it up.  He has one more year but I’m not holding my breath.  Kid is absolutely electric and in this offense could be a top 10 receiver.  Unfortunately injuries derail plenty of would be great careers.  I played semiprofessional football and by year three I was done bc of constant nagging injuries. Can’t even imagine the beating these pro players take. Actually I can, there was a OL who was in the Bengals training camp and didn’t make first round of cuts. He knocked two of our players out of the game and laid a block on me that still makes me cringe when I think about it. It was literally like being hit by a car. In peak physical condition I wouldn’t have lasted three games in the Pros. 

Hopefully Paris turns it around.  He is pro bowl caliber. 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

thats why i keep saying if you give wentz weapons he will be a top 5 QB . right now he is on pace for 30 touchdowns with a average core .  give him weapons he is throwing 40 plus touchdowns a year .

I agree we def needs an upgrade. They run block well but pass catching could be much better

I know that everyone knows this, but if we can ever keep Parris on the field he adds a different dimension to the offense.

If they double MPJ, he will be open because one defender cannot keep up with him.  They're also not going to cheat that safety to the box.  

(And I know that first 'if' is a big one)

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Could this be a hint that he’s on track to be back for the Patriots game?  He’s excited and decided to let everyone know.

He is supposed to be back for Cardinals game if he makes Patriots game he will be a week early

Wentz is playing much better now than earlier in the year.  He was missing Campbell on plays or throwing him into kill shots earlier in the season. Yet PC surprisingly endured and actually held on to most of those kill shot receptions.  Really strange that he’d get injured when they finally connected deep.  

If Wentz and Campbell can develop a connection though, our offense would be near unstoppable and ready to make a deep playoff run.  PC needs to be that 3rd receiver that Wentz can consistently depend on to make plays besides MPJ & Jack.  And Wentz throws a nice deep ball to his faster receivers.  He can put a little too much air under his throws to Pittman. But his throws to Campbell and Dulin were straight up rockets.

60 yards on a rope.  Minimum step into the throw.  In stride to the receiver. Only a handful of guys in the league that can consistently make that kind of throw (Allen, Herbert, Fields).  I imagine Frank & Carson will be looking to go back to that with Campbell off of a playaction to JT.  And I can’t wait to see it.

Archived