Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kwity Paye is Coming on Nicely

Defjamz26

He now has 3 sacks and a FF on the season after weeks of dominating PFF grades in terms of pressure. I’m not sure what type of switch was flipped, but these last few weeks he’s been all over the place. I’d even say I think he’s the best edge rusher on the team right now. I know Turray also has 3 sacks, but I see more consistency from Paye. If he can keep it up it’ll make life easier for the secondary too.

• Like 1

I think he was playing injured early on, right? I'm glad to see he's starting to catch on and show a bit more each week. It was similar with Taylor last year. Early on he was alright, had a couple fumbles during some games. Then all of a sudden, a light switch was flipped and Taylor came on strong.

14 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Not trying to be the negative guy since I agree about Paye.  I just saw Tom Brady getting way too much time to throw most of the day, IMO.

I am really excited to see what these guys can do as they improve.  

Deforest going down really screwed up our ability to pressure Brady. Had he been in, I think the defense would've been better as a whole, including our two rookies on the ends. 

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He now has 3 sacks and a FF on the season after weeks of dominating PFF grades in terms of pressure. I’m not sure what type of switch was flipped, but these last few weeks he’s been all over the place. I’d even say I think he’s the best edge rusher on the team right now. I know Turray also has 3 sacks, but I see more consistency from Paye. If he can keep it up it’ll make life easier for the secondary too.

I think you hit on the key word there at the end when talking about the difference between Paye and Turay.  Yes they both have the same amount of sacks but Paye has consistently been in the back field getting pressure and is now starting to get home.  I fully expect Paye to surpass Turay quickly in terms of total sacks.

I think Paye is going to continue to get better because he has all the right ingredients, both mentally and physically. That interview I saw of him at the draft, when he was asked how he felt, and responded by telling the interviewer that his mom "is retired now"--I really loved that, because this is a guy who isn't doing this just for himself. He strikes me as someone who will do anything to get better because in the back of his mind, he's doing it for his mom.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s gonna be good if he stays healthy

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Deforest going down really screwed up our ability to pressure Brady. Had he been in, I think the defense would've been better as a whole, including our two rookies on the ends. 

He didn't "go down." He was injured right before half time and came out to play in the second half. Maybe he wasn't at full strength , but he still played 78% of the defensive snaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He didn't "go down." He was injured right before half time and came out to play in the second half. Maybe he wasn't at full strength , but he still played 78% of the defensive snaps.

He played really well the 2nd half from what I remember. 

10 hours ago, dw49 said:

I must have missed that. I wasn't able to watch as much of the 2nd half and ended finishing the game on the radio. My bad.

22 hours ago, krunk said:

He and Ojulari seem to be doing well. Ojulari has a couple more sacks but i got no complaints about Paye. I think hes a bit of a better fit for our system.

I loved Ojulari heading into the draft, but specifically didn't want to draft him on the Colts because of him being a poor scheme fit. He was a 3-4 OLB, and Kwity is a 4-3 DE. Both us and the Giants got the right guys for our systems.

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I must have missed that. I wasn't able to watch as much of the 2nd half and ended finishing the game on the radio. My bad.

No big deal. The injury did look serious and it was a surprise he came out for the second half.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

If the floor he provides is that of a Jabaal Sheard being an edge setter with about half a dozen sacks every year, I will take it, the potential for the ceiling can definitely be seen with Kwity. 

I think he’ll be better than that. Somewhere between a Sheard and a Bills version of Jerry Hughes, maybe even better than Hughes

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

This is positive for the team, now only if Hurricane Dayo follow  suit. We'd have a dynamic duo and alleviate the double team on DeFo.:strong:

Mmmmhmmmm

On 11/30/2021 at 2:24 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I think you hit on the key word there at the end when talking about the difference between Paye and Turay.  Yes they both have the same amount of sacks but Paye has consistently been in the back field getting pressure and is now starting to get home.  I fully expect Paye to surpass Turay quickly in terms of total sacks.

It’s important to be able to get pressure but eventually turn those pressures into sacks. That’s exactly what Paye has done though. He lives in the backfield though. And this is only year 1. Year 2 he’s a guy that could make an insane jump

• Like 2

paye is gonna be very good next year .  what is even scarier is dayo has a higher ceiling with his athletic ability and arm length .  both will be good but we still need to resign two of the three in lewis AQM and turray .  we need depth at the position and they are all fine as backups they are just not great starters .