Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Jonathan Taylor stats

Stephen

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

When Taylor gets 18 or more touches, we're 4-0...

Throw it 35 or more times, 0-5

You know, This isn’t a blame game on Reich.  I just find it odd and confusion how early in the season, Reich defense for going on fourth down so much was that he goes off of statistics.  But the statistic you showed above, never seems to be taken into account.  Just something I am starting to notice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

You know, This isn’t a blame game on Reich.  I just find it odd and confusion how early in the season, Reich defense for going on fourth down so much was that he goes off of statistics.  But the statistic you showed above, never seems to be taken into account.  Just something I am starting to notice

Maybe someone needs to make him a card with those stats lol... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I might end up looking like a fool but I feel pretty good about the cardinals matchup for some reason.

I worry about 2 things when we play AZ...

1... Our D

2... AZ just watched TB run blitz us making us one dimensional, and will likely do the same.... Wouldn't be surprised if several teams didn't do the same.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

2... AZ just watched TB run blitz us making us one dimensional, and will likely do the same.... Wouldn't be surprised if several teams didn't do the same.

Any team would be foolish not to. If it’s that easy to scare frank out of the running section of the playbook, and force Wentz to take the R out of the RPO there’s no reason not to replicate that formula because it’s been a factor in all 6 losses. Even though Wentz didn’t hit the apparently lethal 35 attempt threshold against the Rams he still had 31 which is close enough to just grandfather in as an aberration. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Any team would be foolish not to. If it’s that easy to scare frank out of the running section of the playbook, and force Wentz to take the R out of the RPO there’s no reason not to replicate that formula because it’s been a factor in all 6 losses. Even though Wentz didn’t hit the apparently lethal 35 attempt threshold against the Rams he still had 31 which is close enough to just grandfather in as an aberration. 

Game 1 vs Seattle I can excuse, just because it's game 1 lol... that's the only reason... 

Game 2, maybe excused because it's against LAR and still early, but frustrating.. 

Game 3 vs TN, with Wentz on two flat tires and 37 passes, and only 10 JT rushes..... nah... can't excuse that lol... 

All the talk from Frank and Ballard early this year about Wentz has to learn he doesn't have to win games by himself, is just so ironic right now. I'd say Wentz likely knows that, but someone sure doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are 6-0 when Johnny rushes for over 100, 0-6 when he doesn't. That is the old Tony Dorsett stat. I remember back in the day at one point after Dorsett had been in the league for 5 years, Dallas was 45-2 when he went over 100 lmao . He went over 100 in 47 of his first 78 games in that span. 1977-1981. When Dorsett didn't go over 100, Dallas was 14-17.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I might end up looking like a fool but I feel pretty good about the cardinals matchup for some reason.

It's ok if you look like a fool.  We can't see you anyway.

But Hey - I felt good about the Bucs game.  No reason not to feel good about the Cardinals game.  This team is actually pretty good.  If they score 31 we should have a chance.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

1... Our D

Not too many teams have Suh and Vea in the middle. Also we did score 31 on them with 4 turnovers to boot. Plus we didn't go "one dimensional " until the second quarter. I say 4 instead of 5 as the 5th was the game's last play.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think the Colts may use the same rush tactics they did vs Buffalo. They took a wide rush that made it difficult for Allen to escape the pocket. As long as you can generate some pressure from the middle , it might be the answer vs QB's that kill you with the run. It cuts down on sacks but I like it a lot. Make these running QB's beat you from the pocket. 

12 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not too many teams have Suh and Vea in the middle. Also we did score 31 on them with 4 turnovers to boot. Plus we didn't go "one dimensional " until the second quarter. I say 4 instead of 5 as the 5th was the game's last play.

We were one dimensional for most of the game after the 1Q... It was exactly what Bowles wanted us to do.

Having Suh and Vea is great, but they double stuffed the A gaps with 5 man run blitzes. That typically leaves only one C gap open. Any team can play one gap blitz ball without Suh and Vea. Normally Vea and Suh are covering 2 gaps each. In a run blitz, they're only responsible for 1. 

10 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Can someone email Frank and let him know please? 

Be better is someone made a card for him. Like his 4th down card.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

When Taylor gets 18 or more touches, we're 4-0...

Throw it 35 or more times, 0-5

A) usually when a team is ahead, they run the ball more to run down the clock, resulting in more carries. The number of carries is not always indicative of a winning strategy. (I agree that there should be a good balance though).  It's quite possible that a team can pass the ball primarily, create a large scoring gap, and then run the ball 18 times to ice the clock for a victory. In that case, the 18 runs would be a byproduct of the passing game that generated the points.

B) Teams that are behind usually try to pass more in order to preserve the clock and to score faster, thus resulting in more passing attempts. If they are not able to make up the deficit, it results in loss, giving the appearance that too much passing was the reason for the loss.

The scenarios mentioned above may not apply directly to our last game, but just looking at the numbers you provided without much context is just a statistic. It's a data point and can be useful. But it's a data point from a much larger pool of data that should all be taken into context.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

1... Our D

We may get lead against them but we may blow it

• Like 1

Yea, I pointed that out yesterday, the FACT that the more we pass the more we lose. Come on Frank you are one of the best coaches in football, quit doing mindnumbingly stupid strategies and play to our strengths, not the opponents. Why have we've gotten double digits leads so often this season and then take the foot off the gas??? That's what Marchibroda did back in the seventies with pretty much the same results. I wonder why! There's an old saying," the more things change the more they stay the same". That is so true in Colt football history, unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

A) usually when a team is ahead, they run the ball more to run down the clock, resulting in more carries. The number of carries is not always indicative of a winning strategy. (I agree that there should be a good balance though).  It's quite possible that a team can pass the ball primarily, create a large scoring gap, and then run the ball 18 times to ice the clock for a victory. In that case, the 18 runs would be a byproduct of the passing game that generated the points.

B) Teams that are behind usually try to pass more in order to preserve the clock and to score faster, thus resulting in more passing attempts. If they are not able to make up the deficit, it results in loss, giving the appearance that too much passing was the reason for the loss.

The scenarios mentioned above may not apply directly to our last game, but just looking at the numbers you provided without much context is just a statistic. It's a data point and can be useful. But it's a data point from a much larger pool of data that should all be taken into context.

Yet we passed when up, and ran when down lol..

I'm all about balance. I don't care if we throw more than run. I do care if we abandon the run altogether.

The record when we pass, or don't run, is just eye opening. And if you look historically, most teams with huge imbalances are either losers a lot of the time, or they have a goat like Brady passing a ton.