Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

The play calling did not cost us this game, we scored 31.  You have to understand this is the top or one of the top run stopping D's in the NFL.  They game planned a fifth a fifth guy on the line loading the box to stop the run.  That's a pass call or check to pass every time with our team.  Our line may be able to overcome that against poor NFL talent but not the Bucs line, just look at the running game in the first quarter.  This game was lost in a handful of plays as they almost always are:

1. Fischer's sack fumble in scoring position, that was a huge point swing as not only did we not score but the converted the TO to a TD.

2. The massive PI on Ya-Sin, that moved them all the way down inside the red zone or at least close.

3. Third down PI in the end zone on Carrie which instead of a FG they go to first and goal and score.

4. Punt muff turnover, lost possession and score.

Do the math on those four plays, the NFL is always about a handful of game changing plays each game large in part.  

The D got some good stops and a few turnovers so that worked for the most part, I'll take it v Brady.  Hats off to Frank for the fourth down calls that converted, should be noted those converted to first downs and touchdowns, very strong.  I normally advocate for taking the points but not against Brady.  Overall I thought we called a smart game.  Easy win if you eliminate four blown assignments.  Fischer, Ya-Sin, Carrie, and Hines with an honorable mention to Pittman who can't lose a jump ball to a 5'9" Antoine Winfield.  Pittman had a terrible game by his standards.  

So ya, it was the play calling for sure...

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

The play calling did not cost us this game, we scored 31.  You have to understand this is the top or one of the top run stopping D's in the NFL.  They game planned a fifth a fifth guy on the line loading the box to stop the run.  That's a pass call or check to pass every time with our team.  Our line may be able to overcome that against poor NFL talent but not the Bucs line, just look at the running game in the first quarter.  This game was lost in a handful of plays as they almost always are:

1. Fischer's sack fumble in scoring position, that was a huge point swing as not only did we not score but the converted the TO to a TD.

2. The massive PI on Ya-Sin, that moved them all the way down inside the red zone or at least close.

3. Third down PI in the end zone on Carrie which instead of a FG they go to first and goal and score.

Do the math on those four plays, the NFL is always about a handful of game changing plays each game large in part.  

The D got some good stops and a few turnovers so that worked for the most part, I'll take it v Brady.  Hats off to Frank for the fourth down calls that converted, should be noted those converted to first downs and touchdowns, very strong.  I normally advocate for taking the points but not against Brady.  Overall I thought we called a smart game.  Easy win if you eliminate four blown assignments.  Fischer, Ya-Sin, Carrie, and Hines with an honorable mention to Pittman who can't lose a jump ball to a 5'9" Antoine Winfield.  Pittman had a terrible game by his standards.  

When going against the top offense in the league,you have to play clock management and keep them off the field....you can't throw the ball 50 times and not have your best player touch the ball for 3qtrs.

What was Taylors yards per rush prior to the fourth quarter?  Your idea is a good answer if your gaining yardage but you can't average 2 yards per carry and stay on the field.  All Taylors yardage came with less than 7 minutes left in the game and there's a reason for that, if you actually think this game was about play calling I don't know what to say.

8 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

When they double stuff with 5 guys, you don't abandon the run for 25ish straight passing plays. Sure you might favor the pass, but you don't abandon it... and you run outside where there is no defender because you only have one LB patrolling typically if they are dropping 5, or at most 2 LBs (instead of their normal 4) if only dropping 4. 

What has happened in the three games that we iced JT?

Turnovers are often an output of a pass happy offense. We don't have a goat at QB nor do we have pro bowl WRs, so mistakes in the passing game will happen. We do have a pro bowl caliber running back though, that didn't get a rush at all for 25ish straight plays.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

When they double stuff with 5 guys, you don't abandon the run for 25ish straight passing plays. Sure you might favor the pass, but you don't abandon it... and you run outside where there is no defender because you only have one LB patrolling typically if they are dropping 5, or at most 2 LBs (instead of their normal 4) if only dropping 4. 

Turnovers are often an output of a pass happy offense. We don't have a goat at QB nor do we have pro bowl WRs, so mistakes in the passing game will happen. We do have a pro bowl caliber running back though, that didn't get a rush at all for 25ish straight plays.

Its futile people dont understand lol

What was Taylors yards per rush prior to the fourth quarter?  Your idea is a good answer if your gaining yardage but you can't average 2 yards per carry and stay on the field.  All Taylors yardage came with less than 7 minutes left in the game and there's a reason for that, if you actually think this game was about play calling I don't know what to say.

It doesn't matter. There's a reason why there is the phrase "don't abandon the run"..... 

Taylor had success against a 5 man gap stuff in the 4th, and also caught them in a 3 man rush. They got away from the 5 man gap long at times long before the 4th.

12 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

Rally 5, you are correct. 

The only reason for complaining about the lack of run is that you are a little more vulnerable to turnovers by passing so much, but the fact is they were moving the ball and scoring by passing.  

THX! We have to be multiple, is so simpleton to think the NFL isn't going to adjust to Taylor's MVP hype.  The Bucs actually ran five and SIX man fronts against us today, we have to be able to throw against that if we are to do anything of consequence and we did.  I'm totally ok with that, happy in fact.  We had guys make big mistakes today and you can't make 5 big mistakes against the world champions and win.  

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So if we pounded Taylor all game we would have scored 41 to 45 points ya think today?

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It doesn't matter. There's a reason why there is the phrase "don't abandon the run"..... 

Taylor had success against a 5 man gap stuff in the 4th, and also caught them in a 3 man rush. They got away from the 5 man gap long at times long before the 4th.

Wrong, they ran 5 and 6 man fronts well into the fourth...go watch the tape and don't make stuff up that suits you.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Its futile people dont understand lol

I know. Still a little surprised some don't understand basics about D, and counters to some things. Or simple things like "keep Ds honest", "don't abandon the run", "don't ice your best player", etc... Or say things like "it's all about turnovers" when the most understand the risk of turnovers are highest in a pass happy O... Or they forget that our pass D isn't that good in the first place, or don't understand we're soft, and are surprised we don't cover Gronk, or get PIs... But blame the D for being who they've been for the last few years... 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It does matter.  We would have been three an out the whole first half.  Instead we put up 24 with no run game.

4 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

So if we pounded Taylor all game we would have scored 41 to 45 points ya think today?

What did I just post? Did you read it? I said when they stuff the gaps with 5, it's fine to favor the pass, but you still run outside where there is typically no LB now to patrol. It's a basic counter to that D. That's not pounding. That's likely hitting some big edge runs, and keeping them honest, which would have likely made them adjust form the 5 man gap.

19 minutes ago, wordofmouth said:

Rally 5, you are correct. 

The only reason for complaining about the lack of run is that you are a little more vulnerable to turnovers by passing so much, but the fact is they were moving the ball and scoring by passing.  

How many passing TD’s in the second half again?

They ran 6 man fronts for much of the game.  We can debate how to attack that but play calling did not cost us this game, not even close.  In fact where are all the people complaining about all the fourth down calls that worked?  This is why I have to stay away from this board.  Frank has been guilty of falling in love with the pass but today was play calling based on what the D was giving us and it worked.  Players cost us today's game and I don't know how it could be more obvious.

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The offense did what it had to do.  The secondary managed to limit Brady.  I was disappointed in the run D.  That was where we lost the game, not offensive gamecalling.

Should have just put 5 on the line apparently, the Bucs would have just abandoned running all together 

Good point, I guess you're right, Wentz needed to throw for five today for us to win...great point.

Or you know, run in the 3rd quarter, chew clock, keep Brady on the sidelines, wear the D out, keep hitting the short passes, all other options and benefits of running the ball. 

no one is saying it should have been 30 straight runs, we played right into the Bucs hands and game plan. Sorry you don’t see that. Every body knew the Bucs were gonna play to stop the run, well before the first snap.

If Brady was having a bad day, and we were in dime all game, do you think they don’t pass at all in the 3rd quarter?

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You make 0 football sense. We may have only scored in the 20s but with less mistakes and a better mix of pass and run,the Bucs certainly wouldn't have scored 38.

Which mistakes get eliminated the two PI's and the muff punt?  Really guys, the Bucs were stopping the run with the NFL's best run stoppers ++ but yeah, we should have just keep rushing for 2YPC.  That doesn't get you twenty points, it gets you 6-14. Of course, that would have beaten Brady and the top offense in the league, good call shed more light so I can learn from all your football acumen.  What runs call do you like against 5-6 man fronts which also feature the top run D in the league when they run they base 4, maybe I can learn from you.

5 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

It does matter.  We would have been three an out the whole first half.  Instead we put up 24 with no run game.

We put up 24 while we still had at least some attempts at rushing.

We put up 0 points for a quarter and a half with zero attempts at rushing.

And of the 24...

The first 3 came from a very short field when were gifted plus field position (bad punt, and we had to settle)

The next 7 came from a bomb to Dulin (only 3 plays that drive)... Which we never tried again... so not really sustained "passing drive". Should have tried the same with Dulin again, or TY. Instead a call to our slowest WR (Pascal).... 

The next 7 IIRC, JT had a big first down in the drive.

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz had over 300 yards and 3 TD. I thought he showed a lot how he can be the franchise QB of the future. We couldn’t run and he stepped up and got it done.

You don’t know we couldn’t run. 80+ yards and a td on 16 attempts is “not being able to run”? He averaged 5 yards a carry.

The game was tied with 3:00 remaining.  Tampa proceeded to roll through our swiss cheese defense.  No one mentions it because we're the Colts and we expect our D to suck.  Another defense might have gotten the ball back.  

43 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Yep.  That's always the difference in close games.  And it comes down to the player match ups, where we usually fail against the teams with better players.

And wha.......,. you mean that we were in scoring position in the 3rd Q?  How did we get there?

I guess we know one thing, when something bad happens on one play, we should have called some other play.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

The game was tied with 3:00 remaining.  Tampa proceeded to roll through our swiss cheese defense.  No one mentions it because we're the Colts and we expect our D to suck.  Another defense might have gotten the ball back.  

Another defense probably wouldn’t have gotten the ball back because that’s what Tom Brady does

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

We put up 24 while we still had at least some attempts at rushing.

We put up 0 points for a quarter and a half with zero attempts at rushing.

And of the 24...

The first 3 came from a very short field when were gifted plus field position (bad punt, and we had to settle)

The next 7 came from a bomb to Dulin (only 3 plays that drive)... Which we never tried again... so not really sustained "passing drive". Should have tried the same with Dulin again, or TY. Instead a call to our slowest WR (Pascal).... 

The next 7 IIRC, JT had a big first down in the drive.

So the passing game was too effective in the first half to be useful?  So the the point your working is we should have run more in the third when we dropped 24 in the first two quarters with what was working.  I can almost buy that but it's still not about the play calling, trying to pin this game on that missing all the lessons to be learned.  

44 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Is anyone concerned that this team seems to melt down....like epic meltdown in a key moment in a game? Barretts strip sack sent this team reeling. That shouldn't happen.  This is at least the 3rd game where this team has totally fell apart and never able to recover. I blame the 4 turnovers but this defense just fell apart. 

Here comes these threads again, it happens after every loss when we don't run Taylor into the ground lmao . Fire Frank and bring Chuck back, that's the ticket El Salvador Yes GIF by BDHCollective- it is simple just don't the turn the ball over, even if we become pro pass for 10-15 plays. Taylor was actually fresh towards the end because Frank saved him and we tied the game. Then the D couldn't get a stop, they let a mediocre RB like Fournette run all over them.  

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Historically, most defenses don't get the ball back from Brady in that situation.

Another reason why we should have mixed at least a few more run plays in the 3rd quarter as well. Playing keep away and not turning the ball over with a lead has always been one of the best ways teams can beat these top tier QBs.

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

You don’t know we couldn’t run. 80+ yards and a td on 16 attempts is “not being able to run”? He averaged 5 yards a carry.

He averaged that due to the runs after the seven minute mark of the game where the D Line had worn down, which is exactly what we should have done, good play calling, run when its there to be had.  Perfect.  Can't turn it over 4 times (the final one doesn't matter to me) and two massive PI calls.  All led to inverted scoring differentials and beat the Bucs.  Make sure all you guys factor in the fourth down calls your fond of ignoring when the work and especially for points!

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is anyone concerned that this team seems to melt down....like epic meltdown in a key moment in a game? Barretts strip sack sent this team reeling. That shouldn't happen.  This is at least the 3rd game where this team has totally fell apart and never able to recover. I blame the 4 turnovers but this defense just fell apart. 

Yes I am.  We have to learn how to start seasons and finish games.

11 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Which mistakes get eliminated the two PI's and the muff punt?  Really guys, the Bucs were stopping the run with the NFL's best run stoppers ++ but yeah, we should have just keep rushing for 2YPC.  That doesn't get you twenty points, it gets you 6-14. Of course, that would have beaten Brady and the top offense in the league, good call shed more light so I can learn from all your football acumen.  What runs call do you like against 5-6 man fronts which also feature the top run D in the league when they run they base 4, maybe I can learn from you.

The Hines fumble was unacceptable and I love Hines but to beat great teams you can't do that lmao .

Archived