Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report - Colts Perfect Draft

I just saw this on Bleacher Report and a lot of these picks echo my thoughts as well. Wanted to see what you guys thought. He lists a Plan and a Plan B for each round.

Round 1, No. 1

Plan A-Z — Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford — Winning starts with the quarterback, and for the Colts, this is an easy call.

Round 2, No. 34

Plan A — Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford — With this pick, you'd reunite Luck with a trusted target and fill a big need position in one swoop. Fleener's stock is hot enough that this may not happen, but he shouldn't get past Indy in any scenario.

Plan B — Devon Still, DL, Penn State — The Colts have so many needs in Chuck Pagano's defense, but the defensive linemen make everything else go.

Cory Redding will help the transition, and he can mentor Still if he falls out of the first round. A cornerback and wide receiver could also be a good option in the early second that represent a good mix of need and value.

Round 3, No. 64

Plan A — Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska — Without a torn pectoral, Crick might be knocking on the door of the first round. He plays with the natural intensity necessary to make an impact in the trenches.

Plan B — Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia — Boykin is a second-round prospect, but his broken fibula from the Senior Bowl could send him into the third. His aggressiveness and return game ability will be an instant help.

Round 4, No. 97

Plan A — Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama — The Colts should keep their fingers crossed that Chapman's torn ACL makes this prospect fall to the beginning of the third day.

Plan B — Lardarius Green, TE, La-Lafayette — Green's size and speed combination makes him a natural fit in the pass offense as a receiving tight end.

Round 5, No. 136

Plan A — Ryan Steed, CB, Furman — The Colts have the time to develop a small school corner like Steed. His ceiling isn't far off of prospects that will be taken rounds earlier.

Plan B — Josh Norman, CB, Coastal CarolinaAnother small school talent at corner, Norman can be given time to polish his game. Norman was also the star of the East/West Shrine Practices.

Round 5, No. 170 (Compensatory)

Plan A — DeQuan Menzie, CB, Alabama — Menzie isn't as well-known as teammate Dre Kirkpatrick in draft circles, but he should become an excellent nickel corner.

Plan B — Hebron Fangupo, DT, BYU — If the Colts don't address nose tackle earlier in the draft, the underrated Fangupo would make an excellent anchor in the middle of the line.

Round 6, No. 206 (Compensatory)

Plan A — Dale Moss, WR, South Dakota State — I'd love to see what Andrew Luck could do with a raw prospect like Dale Moss who has speed, size and ups.

Plan B — Joe Long, OL, Wayne State — He's not his brother, Miami Dolphin Jake Long, but who is? Long has versatility and could push for a job at right tackle or guard if he develops well.

Round 7, No. 208

Plan A — Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado — Miller's versatility and overall quality would make him a welcome late addition.

134137521_crop_340x234.jpg?1334259934

Josh Chapman would be a perfect anchor for the defensive line of Chuck Pagano's defense.

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Plan B — Brandon Bolden, RB, Ole Miss — Bolden has underrated speed, natural size and good hands. He could push for a roster spot and potentially get touches with the Colts sub-par backfield options.

Round 7, No. 214 (fromJacksonville via NY Jets)

Plan A — Akiem Hicks, DL, Regina — This boom-and-bust defensive line prospect is perfect for a rebuilding team switching to a 3-4/hybrid look from a Cover 2.

Plan B — Jeremy Lane, CB, Northwestern State — The more competition there is at corner, the better it is for the Colts.

Round 7, No. 253

Plan A — Foswhitt Whitaker, RB, Texas — Whittaker would be a perfect utility back and return man for a backfield that lacks a third-down option.

Plan B — Aaron Corp, QB, Richmond — When in doubt, it's always OK to take a developmental QB.

I like this mock. You pretty much are filling most/all needs with getting a good level of talent at each position. Only downer is that Fleener probably wont last till the 2nd but I hope he does!

I've lobbied for Fleener, but I'm now worried that a lot of people are hanging their hopes on getting him. Even if he is available, I would ask if he adds enough talent (over someone like Green in the 4th) to merit spending such a valuable pick on him. We have soooooo many needs, and I think we'd be better off filling other holes first, even if it means we don't get our premier, game changing tight end until next year. In fact, I'm not so sure Fleener is that guy anyway. He's been way overhyped in a poor draft class for TEs.

I've lobbied for Fleener, but I'm now worried that a lot of people are hanging their hopes on getting him. Even if he is available, I would ask if he adds enough talent (over someone like Green in the 4th) to merit spending such a valuable pick on him. We have soooooo many needs, and I think we'd be better off filling other holes first, even if it means we don't get our premier, game changing tight end until next year. In fact, I'm not so sure Fleener is that guy anyway. He's been way overhyped in a poor draft class for TEs.

I hope you are wrong because if we miss on him and he becomes the next Jimmy Graham im gonna be :facepalm:

I hope you are wrong because if we miss on him and he becomes the next Jimmy Graham im gonna be :facepalm:

If we could get him at the end of the 3rd, like the Saints did with Graham.. that would be about the right value for him. I think his value has jumped, primarily because the class is so thin, and every team out there now wants their Gronk/Hernandez. Neither is a good reason to reach for him when we have so many needs.

If we could get him at the end of the 3rd, like the Saints did with Graham.. that would be about the right value for him. I think his value has jumped, primarily because the class is so thin, and every team out there now wants their Gronk/Hernandez. Neither is a good reason to reach for him when we have so many needs.

I'd agree about us having a lot of needs but really TE is a glaring one out of all of our needs. We have a backup longsnapper and Brody Eldridge as our TE's right now. DT is a big need too but I feel as though that could net a decent return in the 3rd round based on this class. CB is the one position I would take over Fleener and thats even a stretch considering that Janoris Jenkins (who will be the best CB avaliable but one that we all know has off the field issues) will probably be avaliable. All in all, I trust Grigson's ablitiy to evaluate talent and believe he will pick the best player avaliable at the time in that round.

I'd agree about us having a lot of needs but really TE is a glaring one out of all of our needs. We have a backup longsnapper and Brody Eldridge as our TE's right now. DT is a big need too but I feel as though that could net a decent return in the 3rd round based on this class. CB is the one position I would take over Fleener and thats even a stretch considering that Janoris Jenkins (who will be the best CB avaliable but one that we all know has off the field issues) will probably be avaliable. All in all, I trust Grigson's ablitiy to evaluate talent and believe he will pick the best player avaliable at the time in that round.

To me, it should be BPA this year, all the way. In my opinion, if that is Fleener at 34, something is wrong... but again, I will trust Grigson's evaluations over mine. I am just starting to see that in most years, with a decent TE class, Fleener would be rated somewhere in the tail end of the top 100 players. I'm not convinced he would have a big enough impact to warrant spending #34 on him, and I worry he might stunt Luck's growth (as an instant crutch).

Here is my question: Is Luck + Fleener better than Fleener + <insert any other rookie QB>? What I mean is do they both get better by having a familiar counterpart of the offense? Maybe you're not just drafting the player but you are also drafting the player and the chemistry that is already there?

Here is my question: Is Luck + Fleener better than Fleener + <insert any other rookie QB>? What I mean is do they both get better by having a familiar counterpart of the offense? Maybe you're not just drafting the player but you are also drafting the player and the chemistry that is already there?

IMO this would be the one reason to go ahead and spend the #34 pick on Fleener if he's there. I'm not saying we have to take him if he's there but I wouldn't be upset either way. However, I think if he is there then we probably will take him because of the pre-existing chemistry with Luck.

If we don't get Fleener this year then we can always take one of the other TE's mentioned in a later round (Michael Egnew is another to consider) and then target a Zach Ertz (who also has chemistry with Luck) or Tyler Eiffert....assuming one of these guys comes out next year.

I think the chemistry argument is overblown. They will both be using a brand new playbook. It might make a slight early difference, but I wouldn't let it become a defining factor in who I draft. That being said.... Fleener is good.

As much as I like Dale Moss, I find it a bit surprising that not only do they wait til the 6th round to pick up a WR, but he's the only one in this mock at all. I definitely rank positions like TE, CB, DT, above WR, but with Wayne, Collie, and Avery who's going to be the No. 4? Maybe Ross? Cosby, Fayson? lol

If Fleener falls to the second round, I would be ecstatic. I just don't see it, but you never know. If Weeden goes to the Browns at 22 and some other guys' stock keeps rising, you never know who will fall to the second round unexpectedly.

All in all, a really good analysis.

If we could get a couple of these guys from Alabama, I would have no problem with that. Menzie would be a nice addition. He is tough as nails and would be an upgrade from Lacey at the very least.

I didn't think that Chapman was all that big though. I thought he was only around 6'1" and 300. More of the type of DT suited to a 4/3.

I really think we need to take a WR in either the 2nd or 3rd round and even follow that up with one in a later round. We have an aging Wayne, Collie who is concussion prone, and Avery who is still coming back from major knee surgery.

If Fleener falls to the second round, I would be ecstatic. I just don't see it, but you never know. If Weeden goes to the Browns at 22 and some other guys' stock keeps rising, you never know who will fall to the second round unexpectedly.

All in all, a really good analysis.

If we could get a couple of these guys from Alabama, I would have no problem with that. Menzie would be a nice addition. He is tough as nails and would be an upgrade from Lacey at the very least.

I didn't think that Chapman was all that big though. I thought he was only around 6'1" and 300. More of the type of DT suited to a 4/3.

I really think we need to take a WR in either the 2nd or 3rd round and even follow that up with one in a later round. We have an aging Wayne, Collie who is concussion prone, and Avery who is still coming back from major knee surgery.

Chapman is around 315 to 320 I believe, but I agree that IMO he is better suited to play a 4-3 DT and not a 3-4 NT. He played 3-4 NT in college, but from what I've seen of him, he won't translate well into a NFL 3-4 NT. Plus coming off a serious knee injury is a huge red flag with me. I don't care if he does fall into the 4th or 5th rd. I don't feel good about drafting a guy with a bum knee.

Chapman is around 315 to 320 I believe, but I agree that IMO he is better suited to play a 4-3 DT and not a 3-4 NT. He played 3-4 NT in college, but from what I've seen of him, he won't translate well into a NFL 3-4 NT. Plus coming off a serious knee injury is a huge red flag with me. I don't care if he does fall into the 4th or 5th rd. I don't feel good about drafting a guy with a bum knee.

I personally wouldn't consider a one-time ACL injury to be a "bum knee". To me, that would mean someone who has repeated injuries over and over on the same body part. Any player can get a one-time injury and be perfectly fine if it heals properly and with proper physical therapy. If Chapman is there in the 4th then I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd even consider him in the 3rd assuming the reports from his agent and doctor are true. He was rated as the strongest player in college football this past year, even over Dontari Poe and he was able to pretty effectively anchor the middle of the Alabama defense while playing through the ACL tear for a good part of the season.

Now, if there's any sign whatsoever that the ACL may not be healing as it should then that would be a different story. However all reports as of now indicate he'll be back to 100% prior to the start of training camp.

I think the chemistry argument is overblown. They will both be using a brand new playbook. It might make a slight early difference, but I wouldn't let it become a defining factor in who I draft. That being said.... Fleener is good.

The chemistry argument might be a bit overblown, but at the same time it's more than just the playbook. It's about getting used to a receiver's speed to be able to know how far to lead him. It's about knowing exactly when the receiver is going to make a cut in their route. Not to mention having both the receiver and the QB on the same page as far as reading what the defense is going to be doing. No matter what the playbook looks like, the running of the actual routes are going to look the same for the most part. So essentially, while some people may be over-estimating the value of the pre-existing chemistry between the two, I think you might be under-estimating it.

:)

I personally wouldn't consider a one-time ACL injury to be a "bum knee". To me, that would mean someone who has repeated injuries over and over on the same body part. Any player can get a one-time injury and be perfectly fine if it heals properly and with proper physical therapy. If Chapman is there in the 4th then I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd even consider him in the 3rd assuming the reports from his agent and doctor are true. He was rated as the strongest player in college football this past year, even over Dontari Poe and he was able to pretty effectively anchor the middle of the Alabama defense while playing through the ACL tear for a good part of the season.

Now, if there's any sign whatsoever that the ACL may not be healing as it should then that would be a different story. However all reports as of now indicate he'll be back to 100% prior to the start of training camp.

Remember Terrance Taylor, the DT from Michigan a few yrs. back? The Colts drafted him in the 4th rd. If I remember right, he was the strongest player in the 2009 draft and the guy hasn't played a single down in the NFL to my knowledge(except preseason games). Being strong don't necessarily mean he will be a good NFL player. As far as his knee is concerned, I just have reservations about using a draft pick to get a guy that is coming off a knee injury when there are other options available. I still think Nicolas Jean-Baptiste would be a better option than Chapman, plus IMO he is more of a true NT that the Colts need.

To me, it should be BPA this year, all the way. In my opinion, if that is Fleener at 34, something is wrong... but again, I will trust Grigson's evaluations over mine. I am just starting to see that in most years, with a decent TE class, Fleener would be rated somewhere in the tail end of the top 100 players. I'm not convinced he would have a big enough impact to warrant spending #34 on him, and I worry he might stunt Luck's growth (as an instant crutch).

?? Fleener is National Football Posts #8 prospect on the Big Board. He is an outstanding talent. Most teams either have a great TE or don't utilize the position enough in the passing game to warrant a first round pick.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

If Fleener is there at 34 I would be shocked if Indy wouldn't take him.

I believe you Fleener is no better than Allen or other TEs in this draft.We need to take BPA for all our picks in this years draft.For those believing Fleener will win us 4 games by himself Uhmmm not going to happen.Allen is just as good and even a better blocker so take BPA no reaching in this draft MR. GRIGS

Very well said. It's also starting to look as though some may take Fleener in the first anyway.