Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could be sitting at 9-3 at this time, but no, thanks to Reich's ineptness in blowing leads, play calling, decision making and being outcoached every time.  Not consistency, sure we won at Buffalo much to his credit, but again not consistent.  We had the game in the bag; against the Bucs, but the over passing attempts I believe dictate how the game went, and it caught up to him. Our MVP running back was under utilized.  I don't mean to sound pessimistic but unless he change and give up his play calling, we'll never get to the big show.

I'm hoping Frank works out his play calling kinks or passes those duties off eventually if he can't. I'm in the group that thinks he's a good HC, but it's hard being good at two jobs in the NFL.

I don't want a new coach because then you've got to deal with 'we need to bring our type players in' with the next guy which essentially becomes 2+ years before we hopefully see results.

21 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Bucs 19- Pats 17. The Patriots passed 40 times. Ran 8 times. Strategically Frank Reich was spot on. We did not execute otherwise we'd have won. All this talk of honest defenses doesn't hold always, sometimes the plan is to keep the defense honest but not when they dont give a flip about honesty, not when they're cheating to stop your best guy and force you to go elsewhere. 

Lets think about it strategically, the Bucs cheat to stop the run, they expect you to pass and we did. From that point it's about executing. We did not. You dont run JT against that box just because you're keeping the defense honest. There was no honesty involved yesterday. Dont buy that jive the media are selling lol. The game was plain clear to see. Our plan, our adjustments, their plan, their adjustments. I liked our plan better but we didnt execute when we needed to on offense. We needed to be perfect and we were not. 

JT is our best player but running him would be fooling exactly no one. Carson needed to play better, our line needed to be better, receivers were shamed yesterday and needed to be better, we needed to execute better.

Quick note, i expect we can win out :D I have one game that i worry about, New England (even more than Arizona). And you'd better get ready to see us pass 30 straight times because they're going to come in and stack the box to stop the run. We'd better be ready to execute

Their RB carried a total of 6 times for minus 4 yds (.667 yds/carry). Taylor ran 16 time for 83 yds (over 5 yds/carry). Even in the first half on 8 carries he averaged over 3 yds per carry. No comparison between the RBs. Taylor has 1205 yds on 209 carries (5.8 ave.) while JJ Taylor who had 1 carry against the Bucs has 147 yd total for the year (3.5 ave.), Damien Harris had 4 carries for -4 yds against the Bucs and has 543 yds on 154 carries for the year (3.5 ave.) and Brandon Bolden had 1 carry for 0 yds in that game and for the year has 141 yds for the year on 26 carries (5.4 ave.).

Are you trying to say if Belichick had one of the best RBs in the league who is leading the league in rushing and running behind one of the best OLs in the league he would have totally abandoned the run in the third quarter with a 10point lead at the half and the ball to start the third? He didn't win 6 Super Bowl titles coaching that way.

32 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

You consider that throwing 26 times in a row has something to do with the strip sack. Tampa Bay just lit us up tearing us up 

This is correct.  No doubt Fisher was fatigued from pass blocking 27 times in a row.

The fatigue led to the strip sack.

Running the ball more would have led to a fresher Fisher and most likely no strip sack.

People have to understand that plays do not occur in an "individual play vacuum".

Each current play that occurs is related to the next play and to the previous play and so on.

7 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I don't mean it literally.  We didnt do the same thing 100 straight times. Neither did they.

In actuality, we ran the ball every time the box count wasn't overwhelmingly against us.

As of last Wednesday Taylor had run the ball 63 times this year into loaded boxes this season, fourth-most in the NFL and was averaging 5.6 yards per carry on those rushes. That from an article by JJ Stankevitz,Colt.com writer.

16 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

This is correct.  No doubt Fisher was fatigued from pass blocking 27 times in a row.

Running the ball more would have led to a fresher Fisher and most likely no strip sack.

People have to understand that plays do not occur in an "individual play vacuum".

Each current play that occurs is related to the next play and to the previous play and so on.

You do realize 14 of those came in the first half right. Like 8 was in the final two minute drill to end the half.  Not every pass was a deep pass either where protection had to be held long. There were short passes which included screens.

Fisher played with Mahomes. That team threw on almost every pass. Plus Mahomes extended plays and held the ball forever.Quit with the excuses Fisher was tired.

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think the same thing that hurts our offense hurts our defense. It’s not talent, it’s play calling. We blitz at a rate that is lowest in the league. Or close to it. We play a soft zone with DBs 5-10’yards off WR. We jam no one at the line. Then we go prevent anytime we have a lead.

Have to disagee. We play prevent with or without the lead.

And we lead the league (with considerable thanks to DLeo) in creating turnovers. This with a pass rush that isn't nearly effective enough.

Wait till next year! 

I like almost everything about Reich.   It's just that I don't think he can handle the play calling in addition to everything else he has to keep his mind on.   His scripted plays are OK, but when he gets past that, he cannot focus enough, IMO.  I wish he would let the Brady take over the play calling.  Reich could dictate how he wants the game to go or dictate how he wants the plays to be called within a game.   

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

I said it in the Frank vs Nagy thread, it is day and night, Frank's offensive efficiency vs Nagy's. Frank did not ride the coattails of Doug Pederson, that speculation has been shut and closed with his production with Luck, Rivers and Wentz. Frank has proven himself on the offensive side everywhere he has gone....

This simply isn't true.

Lets not forget that Frank was fired by the Chargers while he was their OC for the 2014 and 2015 season.

I add the link https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604969-frank-reich-fired-as-chargers-oc-latest-comments-and-reaction

I realize that many will not take the trouble to click on the link to view the grid but in summary:

In 2014, Franks Passing Offense was 10th in the league with Rivers.  The rushing offense was 30th in the league.

In 2015, the passing offense was 4th in the league.  The rushing offense was 31st in the league.

A young Melvin Gordon was their RB.

In 2015, the Chargers finished 4-12.

In short, Frank was fired for going too pass happy and not having enough offensive balance.

This is a pattern that's repeating itself with the Colts.

At least as OC, Frank had checks and balances from the HC.  Now as the HC, there is no check and balance for him.

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

This simply isn't true.

Lets not forget that Frank was fired by the Chargers while he was their OC for the 2014 and 2015 season.

I add the link https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604969-frank-reich-fired-as-chargers-oc-latest-comments-and-reaction

I realize that many will not take the trouble to click on the link to view the grid but in summary:

In 2014, Franks Passing Offense was 10th in the league with Rivers.  The rushing offense was 30th in the league.

In 2015, the passing offense was 4th in the league.  The rushing offense was 31st in the league.

A young Melvin Gordon was their RB.

In short, Frank was fired for going too pass happy and not having enough offensive balance.

This is a pattern that's repeating itself with the Colts.

From the article linked;

In Reich's defense, San Diego suffered a number of injuries along the offensive line, not to mention the fact that Nick Hardwick's retirement in February 2015 left a big hole at center. Melvin Gordon was also a disappointment in his first season, which made the task of improving the running game all but impossible.

The San Diego Union-Tribune's Nick Canepa believes Reich wasn't the root cause of the team's issues on offense:

This is Mike McCoy's offense. So they fire the O coordinator, Frank Reich, who did a lousy job of blocking and healing.

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I listened to bits and pieces and I am just not seeing what you saw (referencing your original summarization)

That’s fine, it’s why I posted it, to see if others were hearing what I heard. I probably didn’t do a very good job of wording or conveying my thoughts, doing it from my phone. Appreciate the response.

43 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I can definitely see fatigue as being a factor in the strip sack.  He has not returned to his all pro form when he was blocking for Mahomes.  He is better at run blocking now.  I don’t expect him to fully recover his pass blocking profiency until next year.  This year will be him doing his best as he continues to play his way back.  Taxing him with a large dose of consecutive pass blocking is pushing the envelope.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are one of the better posters here so I won't get into any debates with you and I respect your opinions. No I don't know you better than you know yourself lol. Look I am concerned too about many things regarding our team. If we lose to the Texans I will go off on Frank but that won't happen. We lost to a team that could win the SB again, there are 3 QB's you don't bet against = Peyton, Montana, and the guy we just played. Losing to Tampa isn't any shame. It sucks we lost but we were right there. We have a good team, we are just missing a piece or 2 from being very good or great.

All good man, I respect yours too. I’ve never been this vocal about a game or the Colts or Frank, doesn’t mean I want him fired, just means I see some issues that he doesn’t appear to see as issues…and yes I understand he’s a coach and I’m some dude on a forum. He could talk circles around me regarding football and offenses…I still think some of this is concerning. His play calling and in game decisions mainly.

And I don’t get the well if we lose to the Texans I’ll be vocal but since it’s the Bucs and there good I won’t. We need to be able to beat the good and bad teams…and it’s not 1 game, it’s a pattern now, or at least becoming one is all I’m saying.

56 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

You do realize 14 of those came in the first half right. Like 8 was in the final two minute drill to end the half.  Not every pass was a deep pass either where protection had to be held long. There were short passes which included screens.

Fisher played with Mahomes. That team threw on almost every pass. Plus Mahomes extended plays and held the ball forever. Quit with the excuses Fisher was tired.

It is not an excuse, it is just reality for a guy that has come back far earlier from a serious Achilles injury than most thought he would. He is not the same guy that blocked for Mahomes in terms of ability and prime, IMO.

Lots of interesting info here.  I was scratching my head a little in the 3rd quarter too.  I still feel like the 3 turnovers outside the strip sack were the fault of the players - not the game plan, not the play call.  Granted, it's easy for me to sit here and say that rather than being on the field but the Hines punt muff was a horrible decision - poor fundamentals.  The Pascal fumble - poor fundamentals by never securing the ball.  Pittman - just let a short safety outplay him.

Do we have all of those turnovers if we are running more and passing less?  In reality I don't know.  Stats might say that should be the case but it is no guarantee.  Guys still make bad plays.

Does Frank shoulder some of the blame - sure he does.  But I would be interested to see what the players actually think.  I would think most of the players would blame themselves for blowing the lead in this one.  I just don't think this is all on Frank.  I don't think the plan was bad.  I do think we should have run the ball in the 3rd quarter.  We should always run the ball.  I am not sure it would have prevented the turnovers.  Possible, but no certainty there.

It would also be interesting to know if Frank did call more runs and Wentz audibled out of them.  And then the RPOs.  

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Is it me?  Or does it seem like no matter what the title of the message thread, no matter what the subject of the OP, we wind up sending all threads into a rehashing of the same arguments regarding what happened the last game.  How many is it now?  SMH.

It's called, "Frank isn't doing things the way I want.....and I am going to beat this horse dead to make myself feel better". 

36 minutes ago, gspdx said:

It would also be interesting to know if Frank did call more runs and Wentz audibled out of them.  And then the RPOs. 

Somewhere in this mess of posts we call a forum, it was said that 7 of 15 RPOs were sent in as runs that Wentz selected passes at the LOS due to Tampas alignment.  Something like that, intended to run JT but Wentz checked out of.

And you cant tell if its coach speak that's defending Wentz, or if he truly agrees with Wentz that the alignment would have shut it down. 

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

These are important stats and hard to ignore really.  Yes we could have run it more and it probably would have helped but the fact remains we gifted this game to them with the turnovers and drops and the referees certainly contributed.  We are 4th overall in points per game.  That's a very high ranking for our offense.  The problems really lie on the defensive side of the ball.  Frank thru out some shade on Flus.  Not happy with giving up big leads at the end of the game.  Flus is not Frank's guy.  For me I'm reading between the lines and I think Flus is gone after this year.  I think Frank will lobby for his guy like he did for Wentz.  I'm thinking Jim Schwartz who I think is DL coach at Tenn.  Former head coach of the Lions who was a DC coordinator before he took the HC job.  Just guessing here but I think Flus is gone at the end of the season. 

I think that is a good observation.  I haven't been on the anti Flus bandwagon because I think he needs 3 new starters to truly have a playoff competent defense no matter who the DC is, but I think Schwartz would be an upgrade to Flus regardless.  Might be a good offseason, with the statistical support needed to make a change.  The numbers are pretty clean and not skewed by quirks, in that Wentz has not put the defense into a lot of bad field position.  Injuries are a component though.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Somewhere in this mess of posts we call a forum, it was said that 7 of 15 RPOs were sent in as runs that Wentz selected passes at the LOS due to Tampas alignment.  Something like that, intended to run JT but Wentz checked out of.

And you cant tell if its coach speak that's defending Wentz, or if he truly agrees with Wentz that the alignment would have shut it down. 

All RPO’s are run plays with a pass option. 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay has failed to make tough decisions?

Like what?

He fired Grigson and ate three years of a new contract.   He fired Pagano and ate two years of a new contract. 

What tough decisions has Irsay not made? 

He kept Pagano and let Arians walk. Allowed T Y Hilton to return this year. I like Hilton, but again it’s tough business decisions that need to be made. You and many probably disagree, but if people want to win these decisions though not popular need to be done. 

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

So defense has no responsibility in blowing leads. Our bad pass rush is one of the biggest culprits for blowing leads. If this defense can get 50% better next season this team is going to be unstoppable with how many points they score so easily.

You should listen to that presser you laughed so hard at…I know

you won’t but still…Frank was happy with the pressure and 2 sacks. 

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He kept Pagano and let Arians walk. Allowed T Y Hilton to return this year. I like Hilton, but again it’s tough business decisions that need to be made. You and many probably disagree, but if people want to win these decisions though not popular need to be done. 

Ok he might have got some decisions wrong, he would probably acknowledge that, but he has made hard decisions.

16 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

All RPO’s are run plays with a pass option. 

Oops.  Wording.    I gathered that he was saying that Wentz checked 50% of the called RPOs into passes.  I don't know if every play sent in was/is an RPO. 

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s like banging your head against the wall. This is why we use RPO. Nothing is going to change Reich haters minds.

Reich himself said Wentz called passplays on 8 (I think?) RPOs in the 3rd Q - all because the Bucs were showing a stacked box. He also said they were showing a stacked box on several plays but switched out when the play started. 

If this is all it takes to befuddle Wentz we’re doomed to be one dimensional the rest of the season. 

At some point you have to test the defense with the run to open up the pass and keep the defense honest. 

It’s like banging your head against the wall. The rest of the football community (experts and non-blind fans) are questioning that ridiculous stretch of continuous passing except Reichs sunshine spreaders. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Oops.  Wording.    I gathered that he was saying that Wentz checked 50% of the called RPOs into passes.  I don't know if every play sent in was/is an RPO. 

Not all were RPO’s. But RPO’s are run plays first. There is no audible or check. The line blocks the same. The QB keys one defender and either hands off or passes. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I want to add though, if you call an RPO but know or at least expect the defense will give a passing look…your essentially calling a pass and Frank knows it. He is getting cute describing his play calling to help excuse his inexcusable play calling in the 3rd quarter, IMO.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Thanks for the info.

Right - I certainly don't see Frank throwing Carson under the bus for this.  Even if he disagreed he is going to take the heat for it.  And if he didn't like Carson changing them to passes he could have quit calling them.

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Reich himself said Wentz called passplays on 8 (I think?) RPOs in the 3rd Q - all because the Bucs were showing a stacked box. He also said they were showing a stacked box on several plays but switched out when the play started. 

If this is all it takes to befuddle Wentz we’re doomed to be one dimensional the rest of the season. 

At some point you have to test the defense with the run to open up the pass and keep the defense honest. 

It’s like banging your head against the wall. The rest of the football community (experts and non-blind fans) are questioning that ridiculous stretch of continuous passing except Reichs sunshine spreaders. 

you're glossing over a lot and it seems a lot of people on the forum don't understand how the RPO works because Wentz doesn't decide if he is going to throw or and it off before the snap. After the snap he looks to see what the Linebackers are doing and bases the decision off them or a key player in coverage, usually if the QB decides to pass it is because the defense is biting on the run option leaving the pass open.

Now Frank also said of the RPOs in the 3rd that became passes they averaged 7 yards gained which would be considered very good runs.

7 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

The defense was terrible as well but this is becoming something Frank is known for. 6 blown double digit leads in 3 and 3 quarter seasons. Go back and watch the film of all those games its the exact same thing everytime. We are 0-4 this season alone when Frank tries to put the game in Carson's hands. The team has talent. The playcalling and defensive coordinator is holding us back,

I think it’s safe to say that Frank has had it with these blown double digit leads.  Players have come and gone but the same pattern keeps coming back.  He has no problem taking the criticism on the offensive side of the ball even with a new OC.  But I think his patience has run it’s course on the defensive side.  Same old same old.  One step forward then two steps back.  Predictable as the sun rising.  I think a change is right around the corner.  I don’t see how he can not make a switch.  Does Flus deserve a new contract and raise.  I don’t see it.  I think Frank finally gets his guy. 

Archived