Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

First of all “numbers” are meaningless unless you look at the entirety of each play.  If an RPO is called and there’s 6 or more in the box AND you’re playing against a stellar D front…the pass option is a higher percentage play.  

I’m not saying it’s always going to be the right play because that obviously depends on how well it’s executed, who the O personnel are and the time of the game.  

So, while I respect your opinion, I can’t unequivocally agree because each play is different.   It’s like when the old guy is looking for underwear…it depends.  

During the press conference Frank said that the RPOs in the second half that Wentz decided to pass were averaging 7 yards per play, which definitely makes me think it was the right decision by Wentz. I'm really not a fan of the if we run it this many times we win argument. It's most likely just a confounding variable that has no real causation, but it's a easy banner to fight behind without looking at the in-game scenarios

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Call me crazy... But I'll just point out that Frank is the head coach.. That means he's Flus's boss, and signs off on D scheme and game plan. So while Flus needs to shoulder a lot of the blame for the D, it also rolls up to Frank. He is the boss. And if you're the boss and one of your employees isn't working out... then you normally do something.

True but the problem is Frank can't change the scheme we run in 1 or 2 games, that has to be done this offseason. You just can't change something you have been doing all year to something our players are not use to. That would be worse at this point IMO. I think in the offseason something will change if we don't make the playoffs. I still think we squeak into the playoffs so the problem will be there again next season. We just have too good of a team not to get a 7th seed.

14 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I feel more confident in this offense against good teams, than when A Luck was running the offense....and I am still a huge Luck fan. 

Strange as it sounds, i agree.

They look unstoppable for the most part. They do have some times when they may bog down for a quarter or half a quarter. That happened under Luck too, and i can already hear some folks saying that's a feature of Reich's offense lol

2 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I don’t know what to tell you, but I never said I want him out. I find it concerning, I find his comments concerning and his in game decisions/play calls concerning. Being critical and questioning him doesn’t = wanting him fired. But you obviously know me better than I do. 

You are one of the better posters here so I won't get into any debates with you and I respect your opinions. No I don't know you better than you know yourself lol. Look I am concerned too about many things regarding our team. If we lose to the Texans I will go off on Frank but that won't happen. We lost to a team that could win the SB again, there are 3 QB's you don't bet against = Peyton, Montana, and the guy we just played. Losing to Tampa isn't any shame. It sucks we lost but we were right there. We have a good team, we are just missing a piece or 2 from being very good or great.

His reasoning behind abandoning the run is inexcusable, even if the run isn’t “working” you still have to run the ball to keep the defense true. The offensive playcalling really killed us in the end. That line you have up front and JT got us where we are why not “Run The Damn Ball”. Really disappointed in Frank last Sunday.

14 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I am really proud and actually surprised at how well our coach has game planned against tough opponents. Even with injury affected positions of importance....especially skill positions, he has brought a real confidence to how this Colt team operates. This is a very young team. I can't even begin to share how excited I am for what is building. From the bottom up, these players that Ballard has assembled, show incredible promise. I have not felt the Colts were outmatched at any single game or moment. This is a team to be proud of. 

The pass rush looks like it will make a jump next season. I think Eric F. will be solid next season. Ballard has improved the depth on the oline. There is still a good chance that PC finally gets healthy and becomes the last piece of the offensive skill puzzle the team needs. If a TE is available that is too good to pass up in the draft, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger....but I think there is more than enough with what is in the TE room at this time. 

LB starters and depth are solid, but another young player added would be nice. I think 2 more players in the secondary would help tremendously, but its very hard to find starting material for an NFL back seven drafting later in the rounds. 

Regardless of how many feel about the head coach, I feel really good. He is smart, innovative, and he has that hard to find ability to truly connect with his players. His confidence and the way he calls the plays, is a special bond he has with his team. I would not change it. He will grow as the team grows. 

Keep it rolling Frank....proud to have you coach and call plays for the Colts. 

I'm with you 100%... sorry to see your positive comments drowned out by the same negative drivel that finds its way into every thread. 

"I'm right, you're wrong"..."nutaaa"

6 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Strange as it sounds, i agree.

They look unstoppable for the most part. They do have some times when they may bog down for a quarter or half a quarter. That happened under Luck too, and i can already hear some folks saying that's a feature of Reich's offense lol

It is because we have a much better running game now. Wentz is good but we have a great RB. When we had Luck we were 1 dimensional. The one thing Luck proved though is against very good to great teams he could pull out wins in close games almost single handed with the exception of beating the Pats. Pats had his number.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True but the problem is Frank can't change the scheme we run in 1 or 2 games, that has to be done this offseason. You just can't change something you have been doing all year to something our players are not use to. That would be worse at this point IMO. I think in the offseason something will change if we don't make the playoffs. I still think we squeak into the playoffs so the problem will be there again next season. We just have too good of a team not to get a 7th seed.

You can absolutely change the zone calls. You can absolutely change the cushion. You can absolutely decide not to go prevent early in games. You can absolutely increase blitzing or stunting. 

The only thing you need to wait for the offseason for is if you plan to go from 4-3 to 3-4. 

I feel I just need to add this to every thread that is complaining about the offense

We are 4th overall for points per game, the defense is bottom third in pass defense, rush defense, and total defense. Maybe if we didn't need to score 40 points to win, we would win more games.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You can absolutely change the zone calls. You can absolutely change the cushion. You can absolutely decide not to go prevent early in games. You can absolutely increase blitzing or stunting. 

The only thing you need to wait for the offseason for is if you plan to go from 4-3 to 3-4. 

Yeah I agree you can change things here and there on the fly in true game time play but going away completely from what the players are used too in week 13 isn't wise. If I was us I would just ride it out on D and hope it is good enough to get us in. Then maybe in the playoffs our D gets timely turnovers in these elimination games. If we make it in and make a run, it will be due to our offense executing flawlessly and the D getting turnovers. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Are you saying they don't do that currently? Eberflus tried everything versus Baltimore, his personnel just stunk. Are we sure this is more on the DC not the personnel? I'm not so sure.

The below is something that encapsulates some of my feelings on this debate regarding the scheme. Not saying there're no bad coaches or schemes but lets keep some of this in mind.

https://*/5r9cjd 

17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I feel I just need to add this to every thread that is complaining about the offense

We are 4th overall for points per game, the defense is bottom third in pass defense, rush defense, and total defense. Maybe if we didn't need to score 40 points to win, we would win more games.

That goes without saying. That doesn't mean Frank can't maximize his strengths on O to minimize the weaknesses on D and a bit on O, which surfaces when Wentz passes 40 plus times. We don't have a D that gives us the luxury for the O to not make many mistakes, and the mistakes will happen because of the O passing more. It is a ripple effect. We all know football is a team game but more than us, Frank needs to identify the limitations of this team and can't say in the presser "wish we had held them to FGs when the QB turns it over" because that doesn't happen enough with our D against good offenses.

Chiefs, their offense has been terrible in 4 out of the last 5 games, yet they are 4-1 in their last 5 games thanks to the defensive free agents and play of their D giving up less than 12 points per game in their 4 game win streak though 1 of those was against a Rodgers less Packers O. Offensively, they are averaging less than 20 points per game in their last 5 games, and that includes a 41 point blowup vs the Raiders. The Colts don't have the luxury on D that the Chiefs have, with lesser talent.

16 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yea, sure didn’t listen to the presser did ya? Frank was happy with the pressure. Said so himself

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

These are important stats and hard to ignore really.  Yes we could have run it more and it probably would have helped but the fact remains we gifted this game to them with the turnovers and drops and the referees certainly contributed.  We are 4th overall in points per game.  That's a very high ranking for our offense.  The problems really lie on the defensive side of the ball.  Frank thru out some shade on Flus.  Not happy with giving up big leads at the end of the game.  Flus is not Frank's guy.  For me I'm reading between the lines and I think Flus is gone after this year.  I think Frank will lobby for his guy like he did for Wentz.  I'm thinking Jim Schwartz who I think is DL coach at Tenn.  Former head coach of the Lions who was a DC coordinator before he took the HC job.  Just guessing here but I think Flus is gone at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

These are important stats and hard to ignore really.  Yes we could have run it more and it probably would have helped but the fact remains we gifted this game to them with the turnovers and drops and the referees certainly contributed.  We are 4th overall in points per game.  That's a very high ranking for our offense.  The problems really lie on the defensive side of the ball.  Frank thru out some shade on Flus.  Not happy with giving up big leads at the end of the game.  Flus is not Frank's guy.  For me I'm reading between the lines and I think Flus is gone after this year.  I think Frank will lobby for his guy like he did for Wentz.  I'm thinking Jim Schwartz who I think is DL coach at Tenn.  Former head coach of the Lions who was a DC coordinator before he took the HC job.  Just guessing here but I think Flus is gone at the end of the season. 

100% agree, Frank is tired working with little margin for error for his offense. Unfortunately, that is what he has to work with.

13 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Are you saying they don't do that currently? Eberflus tried everything versus Baltimore, his personnel just stunk. Are we sure this is more on the DC not the personnel? I'm not so sure.

The below is something that encapsulates some of my feelings on this debate regarding the scheme. Not saying there're no bad coaches or schemes but lets keep some of this in mind.

It is almost like Grigson on his way out realizing he had to get Ryan Kelly, Ballard realizing he needs a little more beef with his pass rushers in Paye and Dayo. The only difference is Ballard will get more rope because of his personable skills with players and coaches, which was where Grigson failed. Grigson failed on the OL front, persona front, and a lot of his draft pick fronts, so far Ballard's biggest failures have come on the defensive personnel side and hopefully that changes with Paye and Dayo, and an off season of offensive acquisitions makes our pass catchers more diverse.

12 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

https://www.colts.com/video/frank-reich-tampa-bay-buccaneers-week-12-review

I know there had been a few clips of this posted already, but I wanted to post the full video and discuss a few of the comments.

I found some of the comments to be very concerning, and wanted get others views. I’ve been one of the most vocal on here the last 48 hours regarding the Bucs game and lack of running in the 3rd quarter & honestly neither this nor the after game presser has calmed my concerns.

1. He admits to wanting to abandon the run before the game ever started. He claims he was patient with the run to start the game, but it just wasn’t working. I agree the 1st quarter it wasn’t, but the pass wasn’t either. It absolutely was starting to work in the 2nd though. Why was he comfortable giving the pass game time to get going, but not the run?

2. He admits that Todd Bowles is more

creative/better at his job defending the run than he is scheming plays for the run game. Again, this doesn’t give me a boost of confidence going forward.

3. He claims the execution was fine and the pass game was working…yet they kept turning the ball over and scored 0 points in the 3rd.

4. He wishes The D could have held the Bucs to field goals when they turned the  ball over and gave Brady a short field but then later says he knew it was gonna be tough to hold Brady to less than 30 and really didn’t do much to help his D out by becoming one dimensional in the 3rd.

5. He said the Bucs were showing a stacked box in the 4th then bailing out to play pass, that’s why the run worked

in the 4th. But he didn’t even attempt a run in the 3rd, so how does know know the same wouldn’t have been true in the 3rd?

6. He didn’t want to talk about the 2nd quarter or first half in general and unfortunately none of the media had the sense to ask why he didn’t continue to call plays like he did in the 2nd quarter.

Am i the only one that finds some

of this to be concerning going forward? He was making excuses to not run the ball

more, IMO. 

Yup. Instead of walking straight home tonight. Take a route that has a brick wall in your path and try over and over to walk thru it and let me know how far u get. Eventually u will go around or over top if it to get home.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I agree you can change things here and there on the fly in true game time play but going away completely from what the players are used too in week 13 isn't wise. If I was us I would just ride it out on D and hope it is good enough to get us in. Then maybe in the playoffs our D gets timely turnovers in these elimination games. If we make it in and make a run, it will be due to our offense executing flawlessly and the D getting turnovers. 

We switch coverages a ton. A matter a fact, we vary coverage among the highest rate in the NFL. So it's not like we can't choose to play more of one thing, or more of another, or just don't know who to play one or another. It's probably part of our problem (that we vary so much). And choosing to reduce cushion is an easy adjustment. Those things aren't huge changes. They are adjustments. 

58 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

His reasoning behind abandoning the run is inexcusable, even if the run isn’t “working” you still have to run the ball to keep the defense true. The offensive playcalling really killed us in the end. That line you have up front and JT got us where we are why not “Run The Damn Ball”. Really disappointed in Frank last Sunday.

Throwing 20 times in row was mindboggling but when it comes to RB's you want to keep them fresh for late in games and for late in the season. I am sure Frank had his reasons for pacing Taylor. I just look at how the Titans have ran Henry into the ground and he got a serious foot injury. So I see the whole picture. I would rather squeak into the playoffs and have Taylor healthy then run him 30 times a game, then get into the playoffs and he is injured or worn out. Really as a fan base we need to trust Wentz more, most people in here defend Wentz but when we go pass happy and lose, the same people question it. We traded/signed Wentz for a reason, that is to be a franchise QB and nothing less. A franchise QB can beat elite teams being pass happy, Peyton did it, Luck did it with the exception of the Pats, Harbaugh even did it in 1995 and 1996 lmao .

18 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Part of our issue is we vary/change coverages too much. PFF published something about our scheme that said we basically weren't in the top 15 of any specific coverage, but played our highest % of 3rd in quarters or QQH, which can be said to be prevent...

So in short, we're constantly shifting coverages, which has to be hard on players. And like last year when we started adding more rip/liz, you could tell the LBs really struggled with all the new handoffs. 

In short, we seem to be too cute with too much variation. The players can't get good at any one thing as they're always doing 5 things... 

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be seriously stoked if Jim Schwartz became our DC, in his first year in Philly he took a bottom the league eagles defense to top 10 if I remember right

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Nagy drafting Trubisky over Watson and Mahomes is a downright fireable offense. 

Actually, Trubisky was the highest ranked QB that year by most services.

NFL.com draft tracker had MT #1 easily with a 7.0 rating. Watson was 6.8, and Mahomes was 6.3.

A lot of people got it wrong.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/QB?college=allColleges&page=1&status=ALL&year=2017

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

TE's have been killing us all year, see Andrews for the Ravens. The thing that is missing is our D can't hold leads. Our D scheme sucks and I have been saying that for 2 years.

We are stuck in two Deep safeties with two deep LB's that can not cover all the ground. It is like playing pitch and catch out there. We need more single high with a S up playing 3rds, and contesting the catches.

Pagano was desparate for his "Ed Reed", it just wasn't Hooker.

Our D NEEDS a Bob Sanders, Jamal Adams with a quality single high safety.

And more pass rush. Haha! 

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

But..Frank coached the Hines fumble, the Carson strip fumble, and the Pittman drops!  

He needs to go.  

Those two craptastic plays by Hines and Pascal are on them and nobody else. 
But when you pass 20+ consecutive times the defense will make plays because they don’t have to defend the run. The passrush can go all in causing sacks and maybe even forced fumbles. The secondary get more chances to make a play like an interception. Reich (and Wentz during RPOs) dared the bucs to defend the pass and they did, they really did. 

The notion Reich is the problem when we scored 31 pts after committing 5 turnovers is crazy. We would of scored 45 just like we did against the bills without turnovers. 

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Those two craptastic plays by Hines and Pascal are on them and nobody else. 
But when you pass 20+ consecutive times the defense will make plays because they don’t have to defend the run. The passrush can go all in causing sacks and maybe even forced fumbles. The secondary get more chances to make a play like an interception. Reich (and Wentz during RPOs) dared the bucs to defend the pass and they did, they really did. 

You don’t think they were still defending the run? Lol

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree, he is a good coach. His record is good, I love his gambling on 4th downs as well. He also has had a different QB every season he has coached, no other coach has had to deal with that. Had Frank had Luck every year we would've been SB Champs by now or close to it. I don't get the hate but you are like many and think he should go. It is what it is. Who would you hire that is better? I ask this question to everyone that says we will never win big with Frank and nobody ever answers me haha 

You don't have to HATE to believe a coach is not up to championship caliber!

5 hours ago, J@son said:

actually they didn't.  in the 3rd quarter I took notice of multiple times the bucs only had a 7 man box and the colts were still passing.  but again, many people, including Frank himself, are trying to say that the Bucs were stuffing the run the entire first half and that's simply not true.  both the run and pass started to open up in the 2nd quarter, hence Taylor's 5 ypc average.  Yes it was only 4 carries, but that's all it took to keep the defense honest.  No one is saying that Frank should have gone run heavy in the second half.  Not by any means.  But going 20+ plays without a rushing attempt when your team's biggest strength is the run blocking of the offensive line and the MVP candidate RB Taylor is just ridiculous.

and this is why, imo, the argument that Frank isn't going anywhere because he just signed an extension really doesn't hold water.

As I’ve said to other people who have made this point……

There’s a difference on eating 2-3 years and eating 5.    Thats a very big difference.   Plus the HC has the full backing of the GM.  

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

But when you pass 20+ consecutive times the defense will make plays because they don’t have to defend the run.

This is silly. Just because you see in hindsight that there were 20+ consecutive pass plays doesn't mean the defense could predict that and not have to defend the run.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:46 AM, James said:

Reich vs one of the most criticized coaches.

Frank Reich
Started coaching: 2018
Regular Season Record: 34-26
Playoffs: 2 Times (1-2)
Division Titles: 0

Matt Nagy
Started coaching: 2018
Regular Season Record: 32-27
Playoffs: 2 Times (0-2)
AP NFL Coach of the Year: 2018
Division Titles: 1-2018

And Reich had 16 games with Luck and another 16 with a HOFer in Rivers. Nagy had 39 with Trubisky.

A big joke how Reich isn’t criticized more. Soft market in Indy.

When will this coach actually lead the Colts to the division title for starters?

Ballard (whom I love!) has brought in some serious talent at different positions. Get consistent, FRANK!

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out but....

Reich's offense PPG 4th overall 

Nagy's offense PPG 29th overall

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Fair comment. 

I see Flus being dealt a bad had by Ballard because I'm biased against having to play with 6.2 270 tweeners (Lewis, although he's done well THIS year so far), and situational pass rushers.   I like the Paye and Dayo players better.  Also, Flus has been here 4 years?, there was a time where we were supposed to be a SEA 4-3 man defense at times, switching out all kinds of defensive plays, but RYS has shown that he can't cover his man for long periods.  Same with Willis.  Same with BoPete.  I'm also biased against switching coverages, because a man corner is different than a zone corner.

So I fall on the side of seeing what Flus can do when one defensive scheme is picked (a scheme that is compatible with players you have to play the other scheme with) and the overall talent is drafted for that scheme.  As a start towards that, I think Paye and Dayo are not uni-skilled players and will be able to play effectively against the run and pass, similar to Defo.  A 4 man front should have guys who play the run and pass rush well, not rotate in and out based on specialty, JMO.

But I like Schwartz as a DC too,

I am just amused at this board.  How many topics have been started a out Frank's coaching and the run/pass game? However, I am yet to see one post on Ballard and his assembling of this defense, which is not talented at all. Frank is not perfect, but he is not the problem. The offense is fine but could use one more play maker to stretch the field. Now the defense!! Where do I start. 4 years in and no progress at all. 

I have been patient with Frank, with last year, and then what seemed to be bleeding into this year with the head scratching calls. I was ready to bail on him, and right when I was it seemed like the offense opened up, and it also seemed there was a lot more creativity. Im interested to see where this goes. 

The TB game I really dont blame on Frank, and thats not usual for me to blame the players. But 4 turnovers and the several penalties lost this game for us. In no way shape or form were the Colts severely outplayed outside of those 4 turnovers. That makes me feel pretty good about this team going forward. 

The other thing I have liked is seeing how much more competitive we are in games this year. We give every team everything they can handle, every Sunday. It seems we are struggling a little bit with consistency, but that will come the longer Carson is our starting QB and we can get into a groove. Its hard to believe we have had a different starting QB the last 5 years straight. I think it can be easy to forget what having the same QB can do for your team the next year. 

Sad we lost last week, but we are for what I think is the first time catching glimpses more frequently of where this team is headed. 

Im still on the Frank train. TBD. 

As long as I see growth im happy. And the Colts are playing pretty damn good ball every Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am just amused at this board.  How many topics have been started a out Frank's coaching and the run/pass game? However, I am yet to see one post on Ballard and his assembling of this defense, which is not talented at all. Frank is not perfect, but he is not the problem. The offense is fine but could use one more play maker to stretch the field. Now the defense!! Where do I start. 4 years in and no progress at all. 

As I pointed and predicted about 8 weeks ago, this forum needs its seasonal whipping-person to vent anger towards.

When it flips away from Frank and back to Flus again, Flus may be an issue, who knows.  He's tried various schemes and set ups; and the playoff caliber offenses will rally when they need to, despite how many points we score or how much time we take off of the clock.

BUF's problems were part of their execution as much as it was our D.  They had a poor day all around.

Archived