Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Calling FBS College Football playoff system "Playoffs" is a joke

On 12/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, landrus13 said:

You obviously didn't see the TV ratings for the SEC championship game. SEC teams bring in the money with their huge fanbases and boosters. If you don't think the CFP wanted that, then idk what to tell you. There's a reason they separated the two instead of them playing each other in the semis.

No, I didn't see the SEC championship ratings, but I'm sure they were good.  That doesn't change what I said, which is that an all SEC national championship is in all likelihood not going to be as highly rated as one of the SEC teams playing Michigan or Cincinnati.

Personally, I don't give a crap about committee based rankings, popularity, or viewer ratings. Money, recruiting, and influence are all controlled by a system that is "above" the results of wins/losses. It is opinion, which is influenced by money and power. 

I would rather 2 teams from each power five and two at large in a wins/losses based tournament entry system. As it is, that very money and power system is severely altering the landscape of college football. 

Lastly, I seriously doubt that anyone else would like this suggestion. It's JMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 12:35 AM, Four2itus said:

Personally, I don't give a crap about committee based rankings, popularity, or viewer ratings. Money, recruiting, and influence are all controlled by a system that is "above" the results of wins/losses. It is opinion, which is influenced by money and power. 

I would rather 2 teams from each power five and two at large in a wins/losses based tournament entry system. As it is, that very money and power system is severely altering the landscape of college football. 

Lastly, I seriously doubt that anyone else would like this suggestion. It's JMO. 

Don't be so sure.  A TRUE playoff format would be great.  All conference champions should have a table at the playoffs and if they wanted to expand it to at large births based on wins and losses that would be great.  a true 16 or 24 team playoff for FBS would be fantastic.  They could still rake in the cash.  All the others left out if they wanted to play in a meaningless bowl game outside of that if the NCAA allowed it (which if it meant money why wouldn't they) fine.  It would mean as much anyway as they do now.  But a true playoff format would make the FBS a whole lot more fun and interesting.  Not to mention any college football team could make the claim then that their players are playing for a true championship or a shot at it.  As it is now they can't do that outside of a few teams.  

On 12/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, Gramz said:

Getting ready to watch the Tennessee/Purdue game.  Rooting for the VOLS (long time VOLS fan here)  I'm sure most of you are for Purdue.

Tomorrow pulling for Cincinnati Bearcats!  And then Michigan (Grandson is die-hard M fan)

Bad weekend for the teams you were pulling for.

I was impressed by Cincinnati's pass defense, really good secondary.

All SEC final, not what I was looking for but hopefully it is a good game.

50 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Bad weekend for the teams you were pulling for.

I was impressed by Cincinnati's pass defense, really good secondary.

All SEC final, not what I was looking for but hopefully it is a good game.

haha yeah not a good football weekend. 

7 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Anyone got some predictions for the championship game??

I wanna see Georgia win but it's hard to go against Saban. I think Bama wins 38-28.

I agree with you but still pulling for the Dogs!

Georgia should have won the last matchup.

• 2 months later...

4 is plenty. As stated earlier, more would muck up bowls (which have been mucked up enough as it is), make the season even longer (which is already too long), and dilute the playoff itself. This is not basketball and it's not the FCS. It's simply a different thing. Hard pass. 8 would IMO suck but be tolerable. If they did more than that, I'd lose interest. I'd rather have the old system of #1 based on final rankings than that (but don't put back the "only these conferences can play in these bowl games" thing). 

Archived