Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis scouting tape


CR91
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

One of only 3 Colts jerseys I have ever purchased.

 

Manning

Mathis

Luck

Don’t get me wrong, i appreciated and respected Freeney.

But Mathis was my boy.  My favorite player for years.  (Even over Peyton)

Freeney got the hype, Mathis was just all effort, all the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

#98 also respected the fans. As noted before I worked 12 years Colts security during training camps. Mr. Mathis constantly took the time to sign for fans or take pictures. A lot of that had to do with the culture Coach Dungy created. I get the same vibe from the current group of players that the Colts are back to. I personally am not religious at all but it does seem those with faith have this bond. Side note: Other favorites who took the most time with fans, Jeff Saturday, Dallas Clark, Adam V,  Gary Brackett, Dominic Rhodes (no one would recognize him and he would mix in with the fans for the fun of it), and finally of course Peyton. Thing with Peyton he understood the expectation and obligation but sometimes could be cranky. But I might be the same for the amount of time he spent signing autographs. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PeytsBlocker said:

#98 also respected the fans. As noted before I worked 12 years Colts security during training camps. Mr. Mathis constantly took the time to sign for fans or take pictures. A lot of that had to do with the culture Coach Dungy created. I get the same vibe from the current group of players that the Colts are back to. I personally am not religious at all but it does seem those with faith have this bond. Side note: Other favorites who took the most time with fans, Jeff Saturday, Dallas Clark, Adam V,  Gary Brackett, Dominic Rhodes (no one would recognize him and he would mix in with the fans for the fun of it), and finally of course Peyton. Thing with Peyton he understood the expectation and obligation but sometimes could be cranky. But I might be the same for the amount of time he spent signing autographs. 

 


First off I absolutely love Peyton.  Huge UT Vols fan and when he went to my favorite pro team I was in heaven. I always got the vibe he was a different person when the cameras were off.  He seems like the ultimate actor and embraces his role perfectly.  I’m sure he was fierce behind the scenes and every once in awhile it comes out. You can tell he is a perfectionist and his pursuit of perfection probably made him very difficult to work with at times. I’m sure he could chew someone out like no other....but back it up.  I guarantee this is what made him one of the greatest to ever lace up.  
 

As for Mathis, love that guy and one of best DEs we’ve had the privilege of watching play the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Mathis was awesome to watch I wish he was helping Kwity develop as he did with Turay

Uh....he is?  The reason he stepped down as an "advisor" for the colts was to open up his training facility.... Which allows him unrestricted access to players as the player wishes....no collective bargaining limits imposed.... Since he's a private trainer "for hire"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Uh....he is?  The reason he stepped down as an "advisor" for the colts was to open up his training facility.... Which allows him unrestricted access to players as the player wishes....no collective bargaining limits imposed.... Since he's a private trainer "for hire"


He was working with Turay a year or two ago if I remember. I don’t think he’s worked with any of the Colts this year. 

 

Mathis was on PatMcAfees show this past Wednesday and mentioned coaching isn’t for him. Sounded like too time consuming and structured is what I gathered from it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, cjrulli said:


He was working with Turay a year or two ago if I remember. I don’t think he’s worked with any of the Colts this year. 

 

Mathis was on PatMcAfees show this past Wednesday and mentioned coaching isn’t for him. Sounded like too time consuming and structured is what I gathered from it. 

Banogu has mentioned working with him. I am sure he is helping the other pass rushers. He would even sit down with Justin Houston before games to go over a pass rush plan for each game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Banogu has mentioned working with him. I am sure he is helping the other pass rushers. He would even sit down with Justin Houston before games to go over a pass rush plan for each game. 

 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Benogu traded during the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I think it would surprise me.   What is his value?    Benogu and a 7 for a 6?   Can’t imagine anything more than that….   If that. 

 

Wilson got us a late 6th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Wilson got us a late 6th.


Yes he did. 
 

But Wilson also had a half season of really good NFL tape.   I think it was his second season, Mike Mitchell was a veteran backup safety who played a lot that year.   And Mitchell too Wilson under his wing and tried to teach him how to be a professional.   Wilson played well then.  Then reverted back to poor firm the next year.   After that third year, we traded him. 
 

Benagu may have really good physical traits,  but little else.   And he has almost no good NFL tape.    I’m not saying he’s worthless and can’t be traded.   Just saying the return, if there even is one, would seem very small.  Very disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Yes he did. 
 

But Wilson also had a half season of really good NFL tape.   I think it was his second season, Mike Mitchell was a veteran backup safety who played a lot that year.   And Mitchell too Wilson under his wing and tried to teach him how to be a professional.   Wilson played well then.  Then reverted back to poor firm the next year.   After that third year, we traded him. 
 

Benagu may have really good physical traits,  but little else.   And he has almost no good NFL tape.    I’m not saying he’s worthless and can’t be traded.   Just saying the return, if there even is one, would seem very small.  Very disappointing. 

 

Even a 7th would do imo. Right now, he's just a waste of a roster spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Even a 7th would do imo. Right now, he's just a waste of a roster spot.


Yeah….  I’d love to be the fly on the wall to learn what went wrong here?   Ballard will never reveal much, if anything,  about him.   BB has great athletic tools, but could never seem to put things together.  


Sure would love to know….   Oh well… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Yeah….  I’d love to be the fly on the wall to learn what went wrong here?   Ballard will never reveal much, if anything,  about him.   BB has great athletic tools, but could never seem to put things together.  


Sure would love to know….   Oh well… 

 

I think the initial plan was to make him a Jamie Collins type of LB, but that never happened and he was already raw as a pass rusher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Even a 7th would do imo. Right now, he's just a waste of a roster spot.

I think he gets cut at some point.   I'm sure they will try to trade him.   He is a healthy scratch pretty regularly.   I don't think anyone is giving up anything for him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...