Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor for MVP

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Might be off topic but do ya'll remember the "non 100 yard rusher game streak" the Colts had for what seemed like years? JT has sure brought some fresh air and an offensive "Identity" to this team. He may not win MVP league wide but it's been a long time coming for us Colts fans to have a RB that can do what he does. 

1 hour ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Might be off topic but do ya'll remember the "non 100 yard rusher game streak" the Colts had for what seemed like years? JT has sure brought some fresh air and an offensive "Identity" to this team. He may not win MVP league wide but it's been a long time coming for us Colts fans to have a RB that can do what he does. 

Ahh the glory days of Trent Richardson, Frank Gore, & Vic Ballard.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is too bad we got Gore when he wasn't in his prime, 3 years too late. Ballard couldn't stay healthy and Trent stunk. Poor Luck had no running game which even makes his 3 straight 11 win seasons look that much better. 

I was trying To remember what year/years we had Bradshaw too, was that with TRich? I think it was, Bradshaw was pretty good but injured often.

I don’t like to keep doing this, and Wentz has been good, but I just can’t help but think of what could have been if we still had Luck or could have gave him some

of these weapons & Oline while he was here, my goodness.

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I was trying To remember what year/years we had Bradshaw too, was that with TRich? I think it was, Bradshaw was pretty good but injured often.

I don’t like to keep doing this, and Wentz has been good, but I just can’t help but think of what could have been if we still had Luck or could have gave him some

of these weapons & Oline while he was here, my goodness.

Yeah Bradshaw and Luck had great chemistry but he couldn't stay healthy either. Yeah I loved Luck, I still think Luck was better than Wentz is but I have admit it a lot closer than I imagined it could be. Wentz has played really well this year to the point I think he is on the good level. With a long playoff run, Wentz may get to that very good or great level, he has me curious to see what he can do in the post season. Luck won 4 playoff games in his day.

Regarding Taylor, he is playing like the MVP of the league.

Jonathan Taylor facts

-He has had a 10 yard run in every game this year. He leads the league in 10 yard runs.

-He has already surpassed his total in receiving yards for last year, and nearly equaled his total for rushing yards as well, thru 11 games. And this is a guy who had 1468 scrimmage yards last year. He currently has 1444.

-He has the 2 longest runs of the year, unless someone topped them this week. And he has 3 plays of over 75 yards. I dont think any other offensive skill player can say that, but I admit I havent looked into it at all. And he also has plays of 40, 38, 37, 34, and 33 yards. Thats 8 plays of over 33 yards.

-He is currently on pace for 2,232 scrimmage yards and 23 TD. 23 TDs would put him in a tie with Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, OJ Simpson and Terrell Davis for 8th All-time. The 2232 scrimmage yards would be the 18th most productive season by a RB all time.

Granted this is a 17 game projection. So that plays into it. But whats amazing about what he is doing is that he started very slow. Going in to week 4 he had 42 carries for 172 yards and 9 catches for another 70 yards. So if you remove that and project his totals based off his production over the last 8 weeks.......he is actually on pace for 2346 scrimmage yards and 26 TDs.

13 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Agree!  :hat:

current odds from 2 different sites

2021 MVP odds

1. Tom Brady: +350
  2. Josh Allen: +600
  3. Matthew Stafford: +1000
  4. Aaron Rodgers: +1000
  5. Dak Prescott: +1000
  6. Patrick Mahomes: +1200
  7. Kyler Murray: +1200
  8. Justin Herbert: +1200
  9. Lamar Jackson: +1400
  10. Jonathan Taylor: +2000
  11. Cooper Kupp: +2500
  12. Kirk Cousins: +4000
  13. Joe Burrow: +6000
  14. Ryan Tannehill: +6000
  15. Teddy Bridgewater: +10000
  16. Jalen Hurts: +10000
  17. Austin Ekeler: +10000
  18. James Conner: +1000

1. Tom Brady, TB+300
  2. Josh Allen, BUF+500
  3. Dak Prescott, DAL+900
  4. Aaron Rodgers, GB+900
  5. Matthew Stafford, LAR+900
  6. Justin Herbert, LAC+1000
  7. Patrick Mahomes, KC+1000
  8. Kyler Murray, ARZ+1000
  9. Lamar Jackson, BAL+1200
  10. Jonathan Taylor, IND+2500
  11. Ryan Tannehill, TEN+5000
  12. Joe Burrow, CIN+5000
  13. Cooper Kupp, LAR+10000
  14. Kirk Cousins, MIN+20000

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@EastStreet - JT should be ahead of all QBs, except behind Brady, IMO

Because Taylor is a RB and plays for a small market he won't win MVP. I hate to say that but it is fact unless he breaks Eric Dickerson's rushing record, even then he still may not win it. They will give it to a QB like Brady or Rodgers. Another problem Taylor will have is, we won't win our division more than likely.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@EastStreet - JT should be ahead of all QBs, except behind Brady, IMO

I'm not there. Yet.....

IMO, he has the opportunity to move up the ranks.

In the AFC, he already made his case vs Allen head to head. He lost his head to head match up with Lamar. We could still see Balt again in the playoffs for another chance. Herbert and Mahomes could be playoff matchups, so he could differentiate himself there.

In the NFC, he kinda already lost his head to head with Stafford. He can make his case this weekend vs Brady, and later vs Murray. Rogers and Prescott are harder.

Also, depends on your definition of MVP, and that's a debated topic. Is it the best player, or the player most valuable to his team, or across the NFL. And the QB position is typically the most "valuable" to a team's success. 

Regardless, he's not going to be in the conversation unless he hits 2000. So he needs to average about 150 yards a game here on out. 

19 hours ago, Myles said:

If Henry was not injured, Taylor would not be getting the attention.   Henry would be up around 150 yards more than Taylor and that s all the media would care about.   His pursuit of 2000 yards.

Everyone assumes Henry would have continued to have great production.  I'm not so sure.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

Everyone assumes Henry would have continued to have great production.  I'm not so sure.

He's been continuing it for a long time now.   

His last 15 games:

22 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Just an uninformed opinion

JT will not get league MVP unless he eclipses 2200 all purpose yards, the team wins 11 regular season games, and makes it to the AFC championship game.  Anything less, and it goes to a QB.

I don't think he will get it,   but the votes are cast long before championship weekend.   It is a regular season award

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

His last game was 68 yards

I didn't include that one because I wasn't sure if he left early because of injury.  

Either way, he has been consistently good for a long time so there was no reason to think he would fall off this season.  

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

JT is amazing but he isn’t MVP. We can win without him but he does make it easier.  Heck of a running back and love watching him play.  

At this point I am not sure we could just plug Mack in and he would do the same thing that JT is doing. I would say I doubt it. Mack has hardly played all season. We are a much better team with JT then without him. As of today JT is the MVP of the league because there is no QB that has been dominant, not even the ones that are considered Elite. Those QB's all have glaring games where they have struggled. Will JT win MVP, I would say no, so you are right but he won't win it because the league will still give it to a QB like Brady or Rodgers or if Mahomes runs the table and catches fire. It is unfortunately a QB award. Since 2007 a QB has won MVP every year with the exception of 2012 when Peterson won it.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At this point I am not sure we could just plug Mack in and he would do the same thing that JT is doing. I would say I doubt it. Mack has hardly played all season. We are a much better team with JT then without him. As of today JT is the MVP of the league because there is no QB that has been dominant, not even the ones that are considered Elite. Those QB's all have glaring games where they have struggled. Will JT win MVP, I would say no, so you are right but he won't win it because the league will still give it to a QB like Brady or Rodgers or if Mahomes runs the table and catches fire. It is unfortunately a QB award. Since 2007 a QB has won MVP every year with the exception of 2012 when Peterson won it.

There is not a back on the roster that can do what JT does.  We definitely couldn’t plug anyone in and get the same production.  However, we can alter strategy and win different ways. Hines and another RB could man the position well and we obviously would need to lean on Wentz more. 

None of this is meant to take anything away from what JT is doing.  He is an incredible player and this team is better with him. That’s a fact that can’t be disputed.  He just isn’t the MVP. For an entire season, who can we make the playoffs without?  Wentz or JT?  Honestly, there is an argument that Leonard is just as important to this team and he has played injured. 

JT is a great player.  Maybe even the best RB in the league. 

17 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

There is not a back on the roster that can do what JT does.  We definitely couldn’t plug anyone in and get the same production.  However, we can alter strategy and win different ways. Hines and another RB could man the position well and we obviously would need to lean on Wentz more. 

None of this is meant to take anything away from what JT is doing.  He is an incredible player and this team is better with him. That’s a fact that can’t be disputed.  He just isn’t the MVP. For an entire season, who can we make the playoffs without?  Wentz or JT?  Honestly, there is an argument that Leonard is just as important to this team and he has played injured. 

JT is a great player.  Maybe even the best RB in the league. 

Well of course if Wentz gets injured we are done. Look at our backup. If Brady, Mahomes, or Rodgers gets injured those teams are done too. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well of course if Wentz gets injured we are done. Look at our backup. If Brady, Mahomes, or Rodgers gets injured those teams are done too. 

Yes sir.  Why MVP has become a QB award.  Is what it is.  Doesn’t change that JT is a stud and we are lucky to have him. I was younger when Edge was here so this is the first time I can truly appreciate a dominant back on our team. I’m enjoying it as much as Peyton and Luck.  If we had a top 5 defense I would be in heaven.  Almost there!   

Hindsight is 20/20, but give Ballard and his scouting crew all the credit for two excellent picks in the 2020 draft.  After selecting Michael Pittman Jr with the 34th pick, Ballard got encouragement from Jim Irsay to trade up a few spots to the 41st pick and take the RB they coveted, Jonathan Taylor.  The Colts spent a 2nd-rounder plus a 5th-rounder to draft Taylor despite already featuring Marlon Mack and Nyheim Hines on the roster.  At the time, many Colts fans questioned that "luxury" pick.

Also of note in the same draft, two other RBs were selected before Taylor:  The Chiefs picked Clyde Edwards-Helaire at 32nd, and the Lions chose D'Andre Swift at 35th.  EVERY NFL team passed on Taylor at least once (including the Colts), and some teams passed on him twice.

Recently, in response to a reporter's question about drafting Taylor, Ballard replied, "Sometimes you get lucky."

On 11/22/2021 at 8:05 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Bradshaw and Luck had great chemistry but he couldn't stay healthy either. Yeah I loved Luck, I still think Luck was better than Wentz is but I have admit it a lot closer than I imagined it could be. Wentz has played really well this year to the point I think he is on the good level. With a long playoff run, Wentz may get to that very good or great level, he has me curious to see what he can do in the post season. Luck won 4 playoff games in his day.

Regarding Taylor, he is playing like the MVP of the league.

Both Luck and Wentz have that reckless streak but Luck could probably call his own plays and read D better presnap...Wentz isn't on AL IQ level...

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Both Luck and Wentz have that reckless streak but Luck could probably call his own plays and read D better presnap...Wentz isn't on AL IQ level...

Ill reserve that assessment for when we play the Patriots. Luck never figured out those guys

22 hours ago, Stephen said:

Ill reserve that assessment for when we play the Patriots. Luck never figured out those guys

Luck never had talent around him like the Colts have know either... he left when it got good. I think it's the coaching that needs to prove it's self more than our talent. Frank as to prove he can out coach others in tight games...

Archived