Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the colts better then we thought they were?

CR91

Everything we heard all week was the colts wins were empty calories because we haven't beaten anyone, but after this win it got me looking at our past losses.

Seahawks look terrible and I'm really mad we lost to them.

Rams was unfortunate because Wentz got hurt with the game 27-24.

Titans Wentz might as well been in quicksand.

Ravens was just a meltdown of epic proportions.

Titans we gave it away.

I'm not saying we're a championship team, but we could easily be 9-2 and looked at in a much different light.

No doubt.  We are much better than people give us credit for.  Rough start for sure but injuries, Wentz needing time to acclimate, and finally getting over the Tevi/Davenport experiment didn’t help.  We are in a much better place health wise and that’s a big deal for me.  Especially getting our OL back to its old self.  It’s starting to pay huge dividends.

Once Wentz got comfortable with the team and our O-line healed up enough to actually play a few games together the offense has been fantastic which allows our soft coverage D to actually work. It looks like the Colts and NE are the two scariest teams in the AFC right now, though KC appears to be getting back on track. 

We are easily better than a 6-5 team, we gave away the Ravens game and the 2nd Titans game. Having said that, luckily there is still plenty of time to rebound and today was a huge start. Today puts us in the discussion in the playoff hunt and as a possible playoff threat/tough out for anyone. Last week vs the Jags we had lady luck on our side but was owed that because of the fluke Ravens loss, who knows if Lawrence doesn't fumble we may have lost last week so things even out like I always say. We need to win our AFC games because of tie breakers as in vs Pats, vs Raiders, at Texans, at Jags. That Pats game will be a classic like old times but that is par for the course and how it should be between us lmao 

I’ve said all along I thought our talent level was better than our record. We’ve really not executed in all phases in any game at all this year until today. We’ve had bizarre play calling, missed executions, bad decisions, and toss in injuries, and it’s easy to see why we have the record we have. 

that said, I’d like to see us put this together in back to back weeks, if we can do that against the defending champs, it’ll speak volumes. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Everything we heard all week was the colts wins were empty calories because we haven't beaten anyone, but after this win it got me looking at our past losses.

Seahawks look terrible and I'm really mad we lost to them.

Rams was unfortunate because Wentz got hurt with the game 27-24.

Titans Wentz might as well been in quicksand.

Ravens was just a meltdown of epic proportions.

Titans we gave it away.

I'm not saying we're a championship team, but we could easily be 9-2 and looked at in a much different light.

this is over simplifying losses

seattle was the healthier and more prepared team for week 1 and that was easily known going into the game

rams got bored they could've won by more once they were down they went right down the field in a minute like it was nothing

titans earned both wins regardless. carson had the ball in ot at home just needed 3 and threw deep into coverage on a first and 10.

deserved to lose to ravens playing prevent defense... would've gotten lucky if goggles didn't miss the game winner

some teams get better and some teams get worse over the course of a season. it's the NFL everyone knows this

Just now, Numba1Colt said:

seattle was the healthier and more prepared team for week 1 and that was easily known going into the game

rams got bored they could've won by more once they were down they went right down the field in a minute like it was nothing

titans earned both wins regardless. carson had the ball in ot at home just needed 3 and threw deep into coverage on a first and 10.

deserved to lose to ravens playing prevent defense... would've gotten lucky if goggles didn't miss the game winner

some teams get better and some teams get worse over the course of a season. it's the NFL everyone knows this

Rams got bored? I don't even know what that means.

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

We are when the secondary isn't getting lit up.  We already know what the O brings to the table.

I think we are what we expected heading into the season when the D shows up to compliment the O.

It’s all about the back side and secondary for the success of our team.

Eberflus is starting to wise up a bit more with his secondary schemes.

The Colts are clearly better than being one of the five worst teams in the league some were calling them at the start of the year.  I think the Colts are a playoff level team.  That doesn’t mean they will make the playoffs.  I think each conference has about 10 teams that are playoff level team and the three that get left out depends on winning the right games.  We shall see how it plays out for the Colts the rest of the way.

Its very much a week to week league. Were exactly as good as our record says we are. Teams change as the season progresses. A team at Thanksgiving is usually completely different then it was to start the season. Momentum, chemistry, injuries, adjustments and many more unmeasurable variables play a factor.

In our case we started the season horribly banged up, new quarterback with no chemistry who also missed training camp. Little to no momentum until the Dolphins game. Today was a great win, probably the best win of the Reich/Ballard era. Most importantly were healthy, rolling with momentum now and Frank has learned to lean on JT.

We still have only one win against a +.500 team though and one week doesn't erase the meltdowns earlier in the season, the defensive woes against Jets backup Qb's and the uninspired effort against the lowly Jags. This was a huge statement win and I have good feeling that we will be playing our best football of the from here on out. 

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Eberflus is starting to wise up a bit more with his secondary schemes

The weather helped some.  It's funny, if we play Buffalo or KC in the playoffs, we would probably be better off playing on the road, in inclement weather.  

Remember:

"Nobody is as good as, or as bad as, their last game."

Yes, we are a better team than the one that went 1-4 to start the season.

We're also probably not at this level consistently every play, week in and week out.

But I'm still going to savor this win.  This was a true victory, not simply a survival of the clock.

Kevin Bowen's podcast will be enjoyable to hear.  As well as Hard Knocks.

On to the next game.  1-0 baby.

Very good offense built around JT.

The Defense?  We knew that Flus’s D can work against bad QBs.  Now we know it can work against a good QB in bad weather.  I’m still pessimistic that it can work against a good QB with a balanced offense in good weather or indoors.  

However, I love the way the D line is progressing, and pressure is the key to the Flus D.  

42 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Rams got bored? I don't even know what that means.

go back and rewatch what the rams did on offense after they started the 3rd Q by going right down the field for a TD. pretty simple to notice it. then when the Colts blocked that punt for a TD and were ahead the Rams said ok and went right down the field passing deep like it was nothing every play. Our secondary was shredded like swiss cheese early in the season remember? 

The "we" addition in the thread title always confuses me. If I had thought that the Colts weren't good before....and now realized they are, I would have titled it..."The Colts are better than I thought they were". Just sayin...

Not harping on the OP, but this seems common. If you have a take, stand alone with it. 

18 minutes ago, Numba1Colt said:

go back and rewatch what the rams did on offense after they started the 3rd Q by going right down the field for a TD. pretty simple to notice it. then when the Colts blocked that punt for a TD and were ahead the Rams said ok and went right down the field passing deep like it was nothing every play. Our secondary was shredded like swiss cheese early in the season remember? 

That's called making adjustments.

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I always thought they were a top AFC team with a shot at the Super Bowl if stay healthy. Best O line in football and best rb in football is a dangerous combo period. Throw in perhaps best linebacker in football and a top 3 DT and a hard out for anyone.

and Wentz is actually good, he may not be great but good enough to win a SB with those type pieces around him.

My expectations were to win the division (which is still possible if Tenn starts to implode and looses 3 more and we win out).

I had them at 11-6 considering they were top 10 on offense, defense and special teams last year in many categories.

Right now, they’re in a good spot to get in and I could see them getting to the SB, if they get hot. We shall see…

1 hour ago, Numba1Colt said:

and we are getting better, great points :thmup:

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

That's called making adjustments.

oh the Colts adjustment with the slimmest of leads vs a potent offense was to back the defense off in soft zones over and over after doing the opposite helped them get back into the game? lol i hope not. colts just aren't prepared on defense to start any season. 

13 minutes ago, Numba1Colt said:

oh the Colts adjustment with the slimmest of leads vs a potent offense was to back the defense off in soft zones over and over after doing the opposite helped them get back into the game? lol i hope not. colts just aren't prepared on defense to start any season. 

Defense made Josh Allen look terrible

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Defense made Josh Allen look terrible

Yeah he wasn’t comfortable with what he was seeing that was for sure that or the elements really got to him.  Given he’s played well in the elements before I lean towards the colts defense being his problem.  He just wasn’t the same after Odum’s pick and near pick.  I think the Colts confused him which is credit to Eberflus.  

I will say I think Brady will kill them with the underneath stuff all day if the Colts don’t play a little tighter or develop a major pass rush in a week.  Brady is perfectly fine taking check downs and taking long drives down the field to score.

I kinda liked the Bills match up for the Colts D because the Colts D is built to stop what the Bills like, big shots down field.  I don’t like the Bucs matchup because Brady has zero problems being patient and taking what you give him as he marches it down the field.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Dear God….

Eberflus now has a front 4 that can create pressure and is recently getting better play from his corners who are healthier than they’ve been all season. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Or the guys are executing it better because they are getting a better and more consistent pass rush and they are now playing with healthy NFL level corners rather than practice squad guys.  

I honestly have no idea how good we are... It seems like whenever we don't do boneheaded stuff and kill ourselves, we are really damn good but I don't know if I can expect that week after week. If we play 70-80% of how we played today for the rest of the year with a bit more from Wentz mixed in, we have a shot against any team.

Archived