Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Wants to Increase Touches for Taylor?

philba101

Per NFL.com's Nick Shook: Frank Reich said the following today:

"Jonathan Taylor is just an amazing player and person. Right now the workload that he's getting, we don't feel like he's overworked," Reich said during a Thursday appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "In fact, a lot of people are telling me I should give it him even more than we are. We give it to him somewhere around 18 to 20 times a game as far as carries and then try to target him in the pass game a good bit, too. I'd like it to build. I'd actually like it to increase.

While this is not exactly a revelation; should you really be telling your opponents that you intend to use one of your players more frequently? Can anyone imagine Belicheck saying that he would like to get more runs for Stevenson or Harris this week? 

Defenses already key on JT. What Reich mentioned will not change how defenses approach the Colts offense.

Opposing defenses still have to diagnose the play and try to stop it, but I'm sure guys like Nelson, Kelly and Glow will have something to say about it.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Or it could be advantage when you make them think your going to run and you end up passing.I don’t think this is secret info colts want to get Taylor more involved.

I actually believe Reich. Shouldn't we be saying stuff like we want to get the TE's more involved and then give Taylor several more touches? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the Colts are likely to feed a player more who has been absolutely phenomenal, but why broadcast to your opponents any intention for your game strategy?

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I actually believe Reich. Shouldn't we be saying stuff like we want to get the TE's more involved and then give Taylor several more touches? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the Colts are likely to feed a player more who has been absolutely phenomenal, but why broadcast to your opponents any intention for your game strategy?

It isn't really a strategy, persay, it is just a we want, it is like how I want to earn a million dollars, not saying I will but I want to. If he was saying we are gonna start running more stretch runs, more bootlegs, more tosses, then that is giving away. Just saying more carries to him isnt really saying anything

Just now, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It isn't really a strategy, persay, it is just a we want, it is like how I want to earn a million dollars, not saying I will but I want to. If he was saying we are gonna start running more stretch runs, more bootlegs, more tosses, then that is giving away. Just saying more carries to him isnt really saying anything

It’s no secret though. Teams are going to focus on Taylor no matter what Reich says.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

"Jonathan Taylor is just an amazing player and person. Right now the workload that he's getting, we don't feel like he's overworked," Reich said during a Thursday appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "In fact, a lot of people are telling me I should give it him even more than we are. We give it to him somewhere around 18 to 20 times a game as far as carries and then try to target him in the pass game a good bit, too. I'd like it to build. I'd actually like it to increase.

While this is not exactly a revelation; should you really be telling your opponents that you intend to use one of your players more frequently? Can anyone imagine Belicheck saying that he would like to get more runs for Stevenson or Harris this week? 

Frank gettin tricky.

He’s gonna start off in the K-gun, go hurry-up with an 80% - 20% ratio favoring pass.

Oh, and we’re gonna go for EVERY 4th down, and screens galore inside our own 10.

They’ll never see THAT comin!

Or....... we lure them in with Taylor, then unleash the STRACHAN on them.

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

This is kindve like the Chicago Bulls saying “we want to get Michael Jordan more shots”. 

Teams know he’s getting the ball. I don’t see a competitive disadvantage here

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

In a league that is so competitive right now...why give your opponents any advantage?

Sweet baby Jesus. 

Do you think opposing D’s were going to stop accounting for Taylor once he got to 20 touches?  

There is no competitive disadvantage here. 

JT faces stacked boxes only 17.4% of the time per PP, which is pretty average (#18). And the average number in the box is 6.5.

Henry gets stacked boxes 24.2%, good enough for #4. 

In short, yes, teams will always need to account for JT, but they're not selling out at this point. JT's ability to catch, and just good balance in general, make it hard for teams to sell out.

And.... I think the Frank's comments in the article might have been triggered partly because of the criticism he's faced lately in a few specific games. Personally I don't want to run JT into the ground. I just want balance. Give me around 40% runs (not all of it JT), 45% if it's working well. And things like giving JT only 10 carries, or forgetting about him for long stretches, simply aren't smart. 

15 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No fan on this board is smarter that FR at his job. No one. If ya'll think you are.....

200w.gif

Frank Reich isn't competing against the fans though. That's the main problem with the "appeal to authority" argument. He's competing against 31 other HC's, and he's an average HC so far. It doesn't matter that he's smarter than all of us, it only matters where he ranks among his peers, and that's a middle-of-the-pack coach.

Beat some teams with a winning record and don't repeat the same mistakes, and fans will believe in him. 

18 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No fan on this board is smarter that FR at his job. No one. If ya'll think you are.....

Your narrative is a logical fallacy. 

It's like saying no fan on this board is a better QB than Curtis Painter (back in the day), so we should just accept things, not complain, and should have been happy with Painter back in the day... (and no, I'm not saying Reich is on the level of Painter, just an example).

Knowing more about football than fans doesn't elevate one above questions or criticism, nor should it. In this situation, coaches are judged on what they do, the product they put on the field, and can be compared with 31 other coaches/teams. And if they do things that are outside the norm (questionable things), then they are going to get questioned.

The easiest way to increase touches for Taylor is to get early leads and keep them to the 4th quarter. Then let Taylor close it out and drain clock. I don't think that's what he means though. I might be the only one here who doesn't see this Taylor snaps thing as a huge problem. We might give him a snap here or there more on the margins, but I like how he's being used overall. 

The wrong way to do it is to start running more and more on 1st and 2nd and long in game neutral situations. 

Frank is making a professional response to some of the dramatic and nonsensical criticisms about play calling, for which JTs usage is the focal point.

And the TEN game is the focal point of the JT usage focal point.

The fact that JT ranks high on most measured categories speaks to him being used very well so far.  Folks who say that he should be used more are simply pretending that the performance will continue at at least the same level.

Frank can certainly try it though.

JTs usage would be more balanced if he received about 3 or 4 more handoffs per game.  With lazy math, a 4.2 ypc yields about 13 to 17 more yards per game.  Likely an 8 yard carry for a first down combined with 3 irrelevant 2 to 3 yd stuffs.

If the Oline is not dominating, call a quick out to Pascal please, or an 5 yard catch then run to Hines.

Too bad there were two holding calls on big plays from JT during the TEN game.  Gave fans the sense that JT was going to break big runs every 7th carry or so.  Frank is a * for not thinking the same, apparently.

If you took the time to look at the play by play of the TEN game, there were a lot of 2 and 7s and 3rd and 3s, where down and distance consistently supported a pass play call.   And there were a few pass plays called on 1st and 10 (that went incomplete...Wentz/OL/receiver issue  Dulin/Cox 0 for 8 on targets overall), you know, so Frank wouldn't get labeled as predictable.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

The easiest way to increase touches for Taylor is to get early leads and keep them to the 4th quarter. Then let Taylor close it out and drain clock. I don't think that's what he means though. I might be the only one here who doesn't see this Taylor snaps thing as a huge problem. We might give him a snap here or there more on the margins, but I like how he's being used overall. 

The wrong way to do it is to start running more and more on 1st and 2nd and long in game neutral situations. 

At least two of us.  His usage has resulted in him ranked near the top in every RB category as it pertains to running.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Frank is making a professional response to some of the dramatic and nonsensical criticisms about play calling, for which JTs usage is the focal point.

And the TEN game is the focal point of the JT usage focal point.

The fact that JT ranks high on most measured categories speaks to him being used very well so far.  Folks who say that he should be used more are simply pretending that the performance will continue at at least the same level.

Frank can certainly try it though.

JTs usage would be more balanced if he received about 3 or 4 more handoffs per game.  With lazy math, a 4.2 ypc yields about 13 to 17 more yards per game.  Likely an 8 yard carry for a first down combined with 3 irrelevant 2 to 3 yd stuffs.

If the Oline is not dominating, call a quick out to Pascal please, or an 5 yard catch then run to Hines.

Too bad there were two holding calls on big plays from JT during the TEN game.  Gave fans the sense that JT was going to break big runs every 7th carry or so.  Frank is a * for not thinking the same, apparently.

If you took the time to look at the play by play of the TEN game, there were a lot of 2 and 7s and 3rd and 3s, where down and distance consistently supported a pass play call.   And there were a few pass plays called on 1st and 10 (that went incomplete...Wentz/OL/receiver issue  Dulin/Cox 0 for 8 on targets overall), you know, so Frank wouldn't get labeled as predictable.

It’s called balancing the offense. Use the rungame to open up the pass. This is pretty basic offensive playcalling, actually, but it continually eludes Frank’s yes-men. 

People keep refering to the Titans games because it’s textbook how NOT to do it, and Frank has a habit of falling back to this poor playcalling for extended periodes of time. Giving up on the run game in the 4th Q and OT is not how you run an offense, especially when you not behind by multiple scores.  Anyone who’s anyone in this game will tell you this. 

This is one part of the criticism of the offensive playcalling. The other part is Taylor is our best offensive weapon - why was he getting around 15 carries on average through the first 8 weeks? Yes his average production may fall but that is because he will be facing more 8-man boxes. This would go back to what I was saying earlier - take the pressure off the oline during passing plays and open up down field. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The criticisms about his play calling were mostly rational and well deserved. Of course, as is the case with anything there were a few that took it to an extreme, but that was a minority. 

14 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Sweet baby Jesus. 

Do you think opposing D’s were going to stop accounting for Taylor once he got to 20 touches?  

There is no competitive disadvantage here. 

I'm not claiming that what Reich is saying about Taylor is some earth-shattering revelation, but opposing teams do pay attention. I bet Bill Belicheck made note of that. As we know, the cheating Patriots will do anything from deflating balls, to taping other teams practices, just to get the slightest advantage against their opponents. I have no problem with a coach saying we really love this player, we love how he is developing, we think he is going to be a superstar, but to say everybody's been telling me to get him the ball more, so I think we will try to do that, is different. That is broadcasting to your opponents your intentions during a game. 

14 hours ago, King Colt said:

Taking nothing away from JT but his OL opens up four lane highways for him to get going. I think he averages a little more than 6 yards per carry before contact. Regardless he is going to be fun to watch in the coming years. 

Taylor is averaging 5.8 yds per carry. So you are saying after contact he is averaging -.2 yads per carry?

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

It’s called balancing the offense. Use the rungame to open up the pass. This is pretty basic offensive playcalling, actually, but it continually eludes Frank’s yes-men. 

People keep refering to the Titans games because it’s textbook how NOT to do it, and Frank has a habit of falling back to this poor playcalling for extended periodes of time. Giving up on the run game in the 4th Q and OT is not how you run an offense, especially when you not behind by multiple scores.  Anyone who’s anyone in this game will tell you this. 

This is one part of the criticism of the offensive playcalling. The other part is Taylor is our best offensive weapon - why was he getting around 15 carries on average through the first 8 weeks? Yes his average production may fall but that is because he will be facing more 8-man boxes. This would go back to what I was saying earlier - take the pressure off the oline during passing plays and open up down field. 

The term yes-men implies that Frank is some sort of authoritarian responsible for everything that happens, as if he is a puppetmaster that controls everybody and everything on the field by continually pulling strings.

If that's the belief,  its easy to blame the person in charge for everything that goes wrong.

The play by play, supplied by ESPN.com https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401326443  does not support poor playcalling or poor JT usage, IMO.

4th Qtr:  We had three drives.  The only real criticism is that we maybe should have run JT on EVERY 1st and 10.

1st & 10 at IND 25

(11:15 - 4th) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep left to A.Dulin.

2nd & 10 at IND 25

(11:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to Z.Pascal.

3rd & 10 at IND 25

(11:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short right to M.Pittman to IND 23 for -2 yards (C.Jackson; D.Cruikshank) [D.Long]. TEN-D.Cruikshank was injured during the play. PENALTY on TEN-J.Simmons, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at IND 23.

1st & 10 at IND 38

(10:28 - 4th) PENALTY on IND-J.Taylor, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at IND 38 - No Play.

1st & 15 at IND 33

(10:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short middle to Z.Pascal to IND 44 for 11 yards (M.Rice, D.Long).

2nd & 4 at IND 44  Here to JT instead?

(10:05 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short left to M.Pittman pushed ob at IND 47 for 3 yards (G.Mabin).

3rd & 1 at IND 47 Here to JT instead?

Ok, but we got a 1st down anyway

(9:31 - 4th) C.Wentz up the middle to IND 48 for 1 yard (D.Autry).

1st & 10 at IND 48

(8:46 - 4th) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to T.Hilton (D.Long). IND-T.Hilton was injured during the play.

2nd & 10 at IND 48

(8:39 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to Z.Pascal [J.Simmons].

3rd & 10 at IND 48

(8:35 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz sacked at IND 39 for -9 yards (sack split by D.Autry and D.Long). PENALTY on TEN-C.Jackson, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at IND 48 - No Play.

1st & 10 at TEN 47

(8:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor right tackle to TEN 41 for 6 yards (K.Byard, A.Hooker).

2nd & 4 at TEN 41

(7:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor right guard to TEN 36 for 5 yards (N.Jones).

1st & 10 at TEN 36

(6:46 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor right end to TEN 32 for 4 yards (H.Landry).

2nd & 6 at TEN 32

(6:09 - 4th) M.Mack left guard to TEN 31 for 1 yard (D.Long). PENALTY on IND-R.Kelly, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 32 - No Play.

2nd & 16 at TEN 42

(5:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short middle to N.Hines (E.Molden).

3rd & 16 at TEN 42

(5:39 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to A.Dulin.

4th & 16 at TEN 42

(5:25 - 4th) R.Sanchez punts 35 yards to TEN 7, Center-L.Rhodes. C.Rogers pushed ob at TEN 26 for 19 yards (Z.Franklin).

Next drive:  Oops!

1st & 10 at IND 8

(1:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short middle INTERCEPTED by E.Molden [B.Dupree] at IND 2. E.Molden for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.R.Bullock extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Cox, Holder-B.Kern.

Last drive: 2minute drill

(1:26 - 4th) R.Bullock kicks 65 yards from TEN 35 to end zone, Touchback.

1st & 10 at IND 25

(1:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short middle to Z.Pascal to IND 34 for 9 yards (C.Jackson).

2nd & 1 at IND 34

(1:08 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to M.Pittman (J.Jenkins). PENALTY on IND-B.Smith, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at IND 34 - No Play.

2nd & 6 at IND 29

(1:02 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep middle to A.Dulin.

3rd & 6 at IND 29

(0:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short left to M.Pittman to IND 37 for 8 yards (B.Borders). PENALTY on IND-C.Reed, Illegal Use of Hands, 10 yards, enforced at IND 29 - No Play.

3rd & 16 at IND 19

(0:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass deep middle to M.Pittman to TEN 43 for 38 yards (A.Hooker; B.Borders).

(0:37 - 4th) Timeout #2 by IND at 00:37.

1st & 10 at TEN 43

(0:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to M.Alie-Cox.

2nd & 10 at TEN 43

(0:32 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep right to A.Dulin. PENALTY on TEN-K.Byard, Defensive Pass Interference, 42 yards, enforced at TEN 43 - No Play.

(0:25 - 4th) Timeout #1 by TEN at 00:25.

1st & Goal at TEN 1

(0:22 - 4th) Jonathan Taylor 1 Yard Rush TOUCHDOWN M.Badgley extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Rhodes, Holder-R.Sanchez.

OT: Where should Frank have called a run to JT?  1st and 10?

(10:00 - OT) R.Bullock kicks 66 yards from TEN 35 to IND -1. A.Dulin to IND 30 for 31 yards (M.Johnson, Jo.Jones).

1st & 10 at IND 30

(9:54 - OT) J.Taylor left guard to IND 34 for 4 yards (D.Long, D.Autry).

2nd & 6 at IND 34

(9:13 - OT) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to J.Taylor (M.Rice) [D.Long].

3rd & 6 at IND 34

(9:06 - OT) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep middle to Z.Pascal (C.Jackson).

4th & 6 at IND 34

(8:55 - OT) R.Sanchez punts 38 yards to TEN 28, Center-L.Rhodes, out of bounds.

1st & 10 at IND 15

(7:27 - OT) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to A.Dulin.

2nd & 10 at IND 15

(7:22 - OT) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short left to M.Pittman to IND 23 for 8 yards (C.Jackson, D.Long).

3rd & 2 at IND 23

(6:41 - OT) (Shotgun) C.Wentz right end to IND 27 for 4 yards (M.Rice).

1st & 10 at IND 27

(5:48 - OT) C.Wentz pass deep left intended for M.Pittman INTERCEPTED by K.Byard at IND 46. K.Byard to IND 32 for 14 yards (M.Alie-Cox).  JT wide open.

31 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I'm not claiming that what Reich is saying about Taylor is some earth-shattering revelation, but opposing teams do pay attention. I bet Bill Belicheck made note of that. As we know, the cheating Patriots will do anything from deflating balls, to taping other teams practices, just to get the slightest advantage against their opponents. I have no problem with a coach saying we really love this player, we love how he is developing, we think he is going to be a superstar, but to say everybody's been telling me to get him the ball more, so I think we will try to do that, is different. That is broadcasting to your opponents your intentions during a game. 

Good coaches also would have taken notice of the fact that Taylor has been getting the ball more since the Titans game. Frank is only putting to words what he's already been doing for the past few weeks. A tunneling electron microscope couldn't find an issue with what frank said. 

42 minutes ago, J@son said:

The criticisms about his play calling were mostly rational and well deserved. Of course, as is the case with anything there were a few that took it to an extreme, but that was a minority. 

There are a few plays that were obvious bad calls.....only a few the entire season.  That gets morphed into the notion that Frank is a bad play caller.  That label or narrative is extrapolative hyperbole, which is neither rational or deserved, IMO.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The term yes-men implies that Frank is some sort of authoritarian responsible for everything that happens, as if he is a puppetmaster that controls everybody and everything on the field by continually pulling strings.

If that's the belief,  its easy to blame the person in charge for everything that goes wrong.

The play by play, supplied by ESPN.com https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401326443  does not support poor playcalling or poor JT usage, IMO.

4th Qtr:  We had three drives.  The only real criticism is that we maybe should have run JT on EVERY 1st and 10.

1st & 10 at IND 25

(11:15 - 4th) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep left to A.Dulin.

2nd & 10 at IND 25

(11:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to Z.Pascal.

3rd & 10 at IND 25

(11:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short right to M.Pittman to IND 23 for -2 yards (C.Jackson; D.Cruikshank) [D.Long]. TEN-D.Cruikshank was injured during the play. PENALTY on TEN-J.Simmons, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at IND 23.

1st & 10 at IND 38

(10:28 - 4th) PENALTY on IND-J.Taylor, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at IND 38 - No Play.

1st & 15 at IND 33

(10:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short middle to Z.Pascal to IND 44 for 11 yards (M.Rice, D.Long).

2nd & 4 at IND 44  Here to JT instead?

(10:05 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short left to M.Pittman pushed ob at IND 47 for 3 yards (G.Mabin).

3rd & 1 at IND 47 Here to JT instead?

Ok, but we got a 1st down anyway

(9:31 - 4th) C.Wentz up the middle to IND 48 for 1 yard (D.Autry).

1st & 10 at IND 48

(8:46 - 4th) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to T.Hilton (D.Long). IND-T.Hilton was injured during the play.

2nd & 10 at IND 48

(8:39 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to Z.Pascal [J.Simmons].

3rd & 10 at IND 48

(8:35 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz sacked at IND 39 for -9 yards (sack split by D.Autry and D.Long). PENALTY on TEN-C.Jackson, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at IND 48 - No Play.

1st & 10 at TEN 47

(8:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor right tackle to TEN 41 for 6 yards (K.Byard, A.Hooker).

2nd & 4 at TEN 41

(7:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor right guard to TEN 36 for 5 yards (N.Jones).

1st & 10 at TEN 36

(6:46 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Taylor right end to TEN 32 for 4 yards (H.Landry).

2nd & 6 at TEN 32

(6:09 - 4th) M.Mack left guard to TEN 31 for 1 yard (D.Long). PENALTY on IND-R.Kelly, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at TEN 32 - No Play.

2nd & 16 at TEN 42

(5:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short middle to N.Hines (E.Molden).

3rd & 16 at TEN 42

(5:39 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to A.Dulin.

4th & 16 at TEN 42

(5:25 - 4th) R.Sanchez punts 35 yards to TEN 7, Center-L.Rhodes. C.Rogers pushed ob at TEN 26 for 19 yards (Z.Franklin).

Next drive:  Oops!

1st & 10 at IND 8

(1:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short middle INTERCEPTED by E.Molden [B.Dupree] at IND 2. E.Molden for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.R.Bullock extra point is GOOD, Center-M.Cox, Holder-B.Kern.

Last drive: 2minute drill

(1:26 - 4th) R.Bullock kicks 65 yards from TEN 35 to end zone, Touchback.

1st & 10 at IND 25

(1:26 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short middle to Z.Pascal to IND 34 for 9 yards (C.Jackson).

2nd & 1 at IND 34

(1:08 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to M.Pittman (J.Jenkins). PENALTY on IND-B.Smith, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at IND 34 - No Play.

2nd & 6 at IND 29

(1:02 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep middle to A.Dulin.

3rd & 6 at IND 29

(0:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short left to M.Pittman to IND 37 for 8 yards (B.Borders). PENALTY on IND-C.Reed, Illegal Use of Hands, 10 yards, enforced at IND 29 - No Play.

3rd & 16 at IND 19

(0:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass deep middle to M.Pittman to TEN 43 for 38 yards (A.Hooker; B.Borders).

(0:37 - 4th) Timeout #2 by IND at 00:37.

1st & 10 at TEN 43

(0:37 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to M.Alie-Cox.

2nd & 10 at TEN 43

(0:32 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep right to A.Dulin. PENALTY on TEN-K.Byard, Defensive Pass Interference, 42 yards, enforced at TEN 43 - No Play.

(0:25 - 4th) Timeout #1 by TEN at 00:25.

1st & Goal at TEN 1

(0:22 - 4th) Jonathan Taylor 1 Yard Rush TOUCHDOWN M.Badgley extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Rhodes, Holder-R.Sanchez.

OT: Where should Frank have called a run to JT?  1st and 10?

(10:00 - OT) R.Bullock kicks 66 yards from TEN 35 to IND -1. A.Dulin to IND 30 for 31 yards (M.Johnson, Jo.Jones).

1st & 10 at IND 30

(9:54 - OT) J.Taylor left guard to IND 34 for 4 yards (D.Long, D.Autry).

2nd & 6 at IND 34

(9:13 - OT) C.Wentz pass incomplete short left to J.Taylor (M.Rice) [D.Long].

3rd & 6 at IND 34

(9:06 - OT) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass incomplete deep middle to Z.Pascal (C.Jackson).

4th & 6 at IND 34

(8:55 - OT) R.Sanchez punts 38 yards to TEN 28, Center-L.Rhodes, out of bounds.

1st & 10 at IND 15

(7:27 - OT) C.Wentz pass incomplete short right to A.Dulin.

2nd & 10 at IND 15

(7:22 - OT) (Shotgun) C.Wentz pass short left to M.Pittman to IND 23 for 8 yards (C.Jackson, D.Long).

3rd & 2 at IND 23

(6:41 - OT) (Shotgun) C.Wentz right end to IND 27 for 4 yards (M.Rice).

1st & 10 at IND 27

(5:48 - OT) C.Wentz pass deep left intended for M.Pittman INTERCEPTED by K.Byard at IND 46. K.Byard to IND 32 for 14 yards (M.Alie-Cox).  JT wide open.

Are you kidding me? The only surefire pass-plays are 3rd and long, everything else is easily either pass or rush. Frank had plenty of opportunity to call run-plays but instead kept putting it in Wentz hands leaving it completely obvious to the Titans what was going to happen.

3 hours ago, J@son said:

Good coaches also would have taken notice of the fact that Taylor has been getting the ball more since the Titans game. Frank is only putting to words what he's already been doing for the past few weeks. A tunneling electron microscope couldn't find an issue with what frank said. 

Exactly!!! People talk about this like other coaches are newbies who can't track their own numbers about JT's usage and make their own informed decisions. Too much ado about NOTHING!!!

Frank could very well be building JT up, he could be answering it honestly but other teams will do what they want to do to account for everything Frank would throw at them, JT or not. I remember Addai's rookie season, they brought him along gradually. Then came the Eagles game in the middle of the season, he burst out. Then he became the primary RB with Dom Rhodes used to wear out the tired legs of a D as the game went on, a formula that we continued all the way till the SB win. Teams ramping up RB usage towards the colder months of the year is nothing new or sensational. Again, too much ado about nothing!!!

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

There are a few plays that were obvious bad calls.....only a few the entire season.  That gets morphed into the notion that Frank is a bad play caller.  That label or narrative is extrapolative hyperbole, which is neither rational or deserved, IMO.

tenor.gif 

Archived