Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard made a blunder

bleed blue4life

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I would say the biggest addition for the Titan's was Jim Schwartz, wherever he goes he's a kingmaker for Defensive lines

He's had mixed results. Eagles and Lions fans might say his Ds were sporadic/inconsistent. Not saying he isn't helping, but he's only like a defensive assistant, and IIRC, never coached DL as a position coach (in his coaching history). I'd likely give Bowen more credit, who was promoted to DC this year and has history with Vrabel. Also worth mentioning is that Vrabel absorbed a lot of DC responsibilities when Pees retired.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Rivers, Manning, and Brady played into their late 30s and 40s.  Ben too.

Wentz can play beyond his 4 year deal.  He's got the kind of arm that will probably last, even if its at 85-90% strength from where it is now.  No reason why Wentz can't be the QB for the next 8 years.

I don't think "(HOFers) did it, so why not Wentz" is really a good argument.

I have no desire to speculate on something bad happening to Wentz, but there are reasons he wouldn't be here. But of course he could definitely play beyond it. In that case, he will just cost whatever the market price is.

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I have no desire to speculate on something bad happening to Wentz, but there are reasons he wouldn't be here. But of course he could definitely play beyond it. In that case, he will just cost whatever the market price is.

I meant health wise, its possible for very good QBs to play well into their late 30s.  If he continues to play top 10 level, there will never be an urgency to replace him.   

I was responding to the idea that the Colts will still have to find a QB for the future.  Not necessarily.

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

And then you would have to go and get another QB either through the draft or FA/trade(more draft picks and more money) to fill your QB position for those extra two years. Of course, I oversimplified it to make a point. In essence you are giving me the case where Wentz doesn't work out, in which case the trade is an abject disaster no matter what pick value you decide to attach to his contract. I feel like my assumption is the more generous and more preferable one. 

Well, we don't really know for sure... but we don't have many trades of the sort in the NFL and I'm using what I have as a baseline.  

It's not really that much more. 2 seconds are at about pick no. 20 value by Jimmy Johnson and about pick no. 10 by AV chart. It's not EXACT but it's close enough for me. Also, the trade I'm looking at for Lance was #12(about the same we will give up for Wentz) + 3d compensatory pick(worse than ours) + 2 future 1st round picks. I'm not seeing multiple 4ths. But even if there are, those are negligible when you put them next to 3 1sts + 3d. 

As of now, both teams aren't going to be SB contenders in the first year, so let's assume they both compete by year 2.

During this time, SF will save $17M/year over the next four years with Lance vs. Wentz (though it will be more if Wentz gets an extension, which he will if he is still here).

But 1st round picks aren't fee. IND still has to pay theirs and SF doesn't. Let's assume on average, the 1st round picks cost $4M AAV. Here are my calculations on the actual savings:

2021 - $17M

2022 - $25M (SF loses 2022 pick and IND keeps theirs)

2023 - $33M (SF loses 2023 pick and IND keeps theirs)

2024 - $37M 

The 3rd round picks from each team offset in this case (as both team included them in their QB deals).

So that's a savings of $112M over the next four years for SF, or $28M/year. Or another way to look at it...it's $95M over three years when their SB window opens.  

What is ~$32M worth per year in draft capital for those 3 contending years? I don't know, but I would imagine a whole lot. 

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's had mixed results. Eagles and Lions fans might say his Ds were sporadic/inconsistent. Not saying he isn't helping, but he's only like a defensive assistant, and IIRC, never coached DL as a position coach (in his coaching history). I'd likely give Bowen more credit, who was promoted to DC this year and has history with Vrabel. Also worth mentioning is that Vrabel absorbed a lot of DC responsibilities when Pees retired.

I mean everywhere he went he created great DLs, look what he did with Albert Haynesworth. As for the eagles (You gotta take everything there fan base says with a grain of salt) he took a defense that was ranked 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed to 13th and 12th in his first season and that defense was a large reason they won the Super Bowl.  I won't argue the Lions stuff but I think that is more of the stereotypical Defensive coordinator who struggles as a head coach issue. He may be only a senior defensive assistant but I'm betting he has had a lot more influence than most would think.

10 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I mean everywhere he went he created great DLs, look what he did with Albert Haynesworth. As for the eagles (You gotta take everything there fan base says with a grain of salt) he took a defense that was ranked 30th in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed to 13th and 12th in his first season and that defense was a large reason they won the Super Bowl.  I won't argue the Lions stuff but I think that is more of the stereotypical Defensive coordinator who struggles as a head coach issue. He may be only a senior defensive assistant but I'm betting he has had a lot more influence than most would think.

Not relying on anything Eagles fans say. More the ups and downs of their D (stat wise) when he was there. They allowed more PPG every year from 2017 to 2020. Like I said, not saying he hasn't helped, it's just his history begs a lot of questions. If he grew up a DL coach, I might lend more weight. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Wentz is better right now than any rookie they could have gotten this year or next.    The trade is a win if Wentz continues to play at this level.   It isn't close

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Wentz is better right now than any rookie they could have gotten this year or next.    The trade is a win if Wentz continues to play at this level.   It isn't close

That’s quite true to be honest. Jones is having the most success so far.

Just now, RollerColt said:

That’s quite true to be honest. Jones is having the most success so far.

Fields  looked good last night,  but running qbs worry me.   Wentz worries me at times when he takes off and dives forward.    But I will take Wentz over any of the rookies 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Fields  looked good last night,  but running qbs worry me.   Wentz worries me at times when he takes off and dives forward.    But I will take Wentz over any of the rookies 

Same. I just want him to throw the ball away when a play blows up. The hero thing is where mistakes are made. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not relying on anything Eagles fans say. More the ups and downs of their D (stat wise) when he was there. They allowed more PPG every year from 2017 to 2020. Like I said, not saying he hasn't helped, it's just his history begs a lot of questions. If he grew up a DL coach, I might lend more weight. 

True they got worse after 2017 but aside from 2020 which was a team meltdown they were always in the top 15 for points allowed. As for the DL, he obviously knows how to build/use them as his history speaks for itself with creating disruptive DLs.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ok. That’s literally just your opinion about the other QBs…not a fact. Next year remains to be seen.

And being better this year doesn’t appear to be all that important right now. 

Bur sure how this is relevant to Wentz being here 8 years from now, which DD said there was “no reason” wouldn’t happen. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Ok. That’s literally just your opinion about the other QBs…not a fact. Next year remains to be seen.

And being better this year doesn’t appear to be all that important right now. 

Bur sure how this is relevant to Wentz being here 8 years from now, which DD said there was “no reason” wouldn’t happen. 

IDK, it's pretty much fact based on what he said. He said Wentz is better "right now" than any of the rookie QBs, and he easily is by just about every major stat category. And it's not even close.

All the rooks have struggled this year. Doesn't mean they won't improve, but right now, it's no contest. And next years class is starting to come into frame. Looks like the worst QB class in a while. Teams will take shots at QBs in the 1st like they always do, but most sites are pretty clear about the class. And I watch a ton of CFB, and not many past the eye test. You got Corral from OM and Strong from Nevada vying for the top spot. And that's just incredibly weak compared to past years. Then you have guys like Howell who was totally underwhelming at times, and others from Pitt and Liberty that are also reaches.

As far as Carson vs this year's rooks... 

QBR 

Wentz #9

Jones #21

Wilson #32

Fields #33

Pass Rating

Wentz #11

Jones #22

Fields #33

Wilson #34

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

I meant health wise, its possible for very good QBs to play well into their late 30s.  If he continues to play top 10 level, there will never be an urgency to replace him.   

I was responding to the idea that the Colts will still have to find a QB for the future.  Not necessarily.

I agree. 

Unless something bad happens to him I dont see him falling off to being a bottom 3rd QB.... so like you said there won't be a urgency for the colts to replace him and most likely only a Top QB or a top QB prospect from college will be a upgrade....and I doubt either would be available for the colts to acquire them.

So I think for better or worse he's our QB present and future.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IDK, it's pretty much fact based on what he said. He said Wentz is better "right now" than any of the rookie QBs, and he easily is by just about every major stat category. And it's not even close.

All the rooks have struggled this year. Doesn't mean they won't improve, but right now, it's no contest. And next years class is starting to come into frame. Looks like the worst QB class in a while. Teams will take shots at QBs in the 1st like they always do, but most sites are pretty clear about the class. And I watch a ton of CFB, and not many past the eye test. You got Corral from OM and Strong from Nevada vying for the top spot. And that's just incredibly weak compared to past years. Then you have guys like Howell who was totally underwhelming at times, and others from Pitt and Liberty that are also reaches.

As far as Carson vs this year's rooks... 

QBR 

Wentz #9

Jones #21

Wilson #32

Fields #33

Pass Rating

Wentz #11

Jones #22

Fields #33

Wilson #34

Ok. If he literally meant "at this exact moment in time," then of course Wentz is better than rookie QBs (halfway into their rookie seasons) and QBs that aren't even in the NFL right now to put up stats.

So are Teddy B and Winston. Could argue that about vets at any position.

But that doesn't really mean anything in regards to the future. And Wentz being better right now means even less in a season where the Colts apparently aren't as good as we hoped.

I took it to mean that Wentz (and his current stats/performance) will be better than any QB they could have gotten this year or next...meaning Wentz will be better than them. 

But it's impossible to know how Fields or Jones will play as sophomores, let alone the rookies next year. And then you have future years as well.

14 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Ok. If he literally meant "at this exact moment in time," then of course Wentz is better than rookie QBs (halfway into their rookie seasons) and QBs that aren't even in the NFL right now to put up stats.

So are Teddy B and Winston. Could argue that about vets at any position.

But that doesn't really mean anything in regards to the future. And Wentz being better right now means even less in a season where the Colts apparently aren't as good as we hoped.

I took it to mean that Wentz (and his current stats/performance) will be better than any QB they could have gotten this year or next...meaning Wentz will be better than them. 

But it's impossible to know how Fields or Jones will play as sophomores, let alone the rookies next year. And then you have future years as well.

Literal at the same time, or, just this year... Wentz is clearly the better option. 

The fact that Wentz however is playing top 10 level, suggest though that he's capable of high level ball and was a good addition.

And let's be frank. We were NEVER going to be able to get into the top 2 regardless, so no chance we would have ever gotten Lawrence or Wilson. And likely never would have gotten to 3, which is where Lance went. 

So the only conversation is about Fields or Jones.

It took 2x1R, 4R, and 5R to get Fields. I wasn't high on him in the draft, and I really haven't seen much from him all year to change my opinion. Zero games with PR of 100 or more. I'd take Wentz every day over Fields. Lower cost, lesser gamble. Doubt Ballard was willing to spend that on a gamble like Fields even though it was reported we liked him.

Then you're left with Jones. Could have been done by getting the 14th, which NYJ did for their 1R and 2x3R. I like Jones, and he's looked good a few games vs NYJ and Miami, but he's limited, and would limit scheme. And Jones went to one of two places I said would be be great fits, so he'll likely do better in NE than he would most places. 

So between Fields, Jones, and Wentz, which are the only realistic long term comps, I'm very happy with Wentz's chances over those two. If you had to bet 10k of your hard earned money on on the guy that would have the highest PR and QBR over the next 5 years, who would you bet on. For most gamblers, probably pretty easy decision. 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:15 PM, CR91 said:

Oh please Autry was good for two sacks and then you wouldn't hear his name for like 6 weeks

He had 7.5 sacks, 10 QB hits, and applied consistent pressure in 2020. And he has 5 sacks already this year. The Titans gave him a 3 year, $21.5M contract, including a $6M signing bonus, and $9M guaranteed, which isn't exactly breaking the bank considering his consistent level of production. In case you haven't noticed, the Colts have been pretty consistent this year in NOT getting pressure. They could really use a player like him.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

He had 7.5 sacks, 10 QB hits, and applied consistent pressure in 2020. And he has 5 sacks already this year. The Titans gave him a 3 year, $21.5M contract, including a $6M signing bonus, and $9M guaranteed, which isn't exactly breaking the bank considering his consistent level of production. In case you haven't noticed, the Colts have been pretty consistent this year in NOT getting pressure. They could really use a player like him.

Again you and other posters keep missing my point. It was the same thing with Houston. Those numbers came in bunches. It wasnt consistent. It was 2 sacks one game then nothing for four games to the point youd think he didn't play.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Again you and other posters keep missing my point. It was the same thing with Houston. Those numbers came in bunches. It wasnt consistent. It was 2 sacks one game then nothing for four games to the point youd think he didn't play.

if we had autry get sacks in bunches against the ravens or titans it would have changed the game .  tight games can be won with getting a key sack or two .

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

if we had autry get sacks in bunches against the ravens or titans it would have changed the game .  tight games can be won with getting a key sack or two .

You don't know if he would have got it in those games. You never knew when Autry was gonna show up.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Huh?

Autry last year had pressures in 71% of games. Had sacks in 36% of games.

Let's compare that to Defo.

Buckner last year had pressures in 73% of games. He had sacks in 33% of games

If you're going to talk about "bunches", that's fair, but it deserves some comps. 

And if you think Autry disappeared at times, Defo disappeared on an almost identical rate.

BTW, sacks typically come in bunches for most good DL players. If you're going to look at disappearances, it's better to look at pressures.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You don't know if he would have got it in those games. You never knew when Autry was gonna show up.

Not true... see above

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Huh?

If you're going to talk about "bunches", that's fair, but it deserves some comps. 

And if you think Autry disappeared at times, Defo disappeared on an almost identical rate.

BTW, sacks typically come in bunches for most good DL players. If you're going to look at disappearances, it's better to look at pressures.

Not true... see above

Where exactly are you getting those numbers?

Just now, CR91 said:

Buck hardly moved from the 3T last year. It's only this year that we started moving him around.

Last year, Autry slid inside a ton. That doesn't mean Buckner played DE. It means either 1) the NT went out and you had Buckner + Autry both inside, or 2) Defo was taking a breather (he only played 70ish % of snaps) and Autry was primary 3T. This year, Defo has had to play 80ish % with Autry gone. Less breathers... And frankly that's not good. But Autry played a ton from the interior, and it's where he got most production.

@CR91

Found an article I recalled (from the pre-season) talking about how the experts/writers viewed the Autry signing in TN. It's speaks to his work inside last year, and also how Autry was doubled a lot yet was still successful. His absence has put more stress on Defo, and has opened up things a ton for Landry (who already has more pressures he had all of last year, and almost double his sacks)

"Denico Autry managed 7.5 sacks last season while primarily working inside. Technically, Autry is listed as a defensive end. But he does his most damage working as a 3-technique. 

As ESPN’s Turron Davenport noted, Autry faced double-teams on 57.8 percent of his interior pass-rush snaps yet still managed an 11.6 percent pass-rush win rate.

The Titans now have three productive pass-rushers. Landry and Dupree can bend the edge while Autry works against guards.  

Tennessee gets the added bonus of stealing one of its newest defenders from a division rival and another from a fellow AFC playoff contender. "

Just now, Zoltan said:

I can’t wait for the day I don’t have to read about Autry when I look at the forum. 

I can't wait for the day I don't have to read about our lack of pass rush / sacks / pressures. Or pass D in general among the worst in the league. When that day comes, doubt Autry will ever be mentioned again.

51 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@CR91

Found an article I recalled (from the pre-season) talking about how the experts/writers viewed the Autry signing in TN. It's speaks to his work inside last year, and also how Autry was doubled a lot yet was still successful. His absence has put more stress on Defo, and has opened up things a ton for Landry (who already has more pressures he had all of last year, and almost double his sacks)

"Denico Autry managed 7.5 sacks last season while primarily working inside. Technically, Autry is listed as a defensive end. But he does his most damage working as a 3-technique. 

As ESPN’s Turron Davenport noted, Autry faced double-teams on 57.8 percent of his interior pass-rush snaps yet still managed an 11.6 percent pass-rush win rate.

The Titans now have three productive pass-rushers. Landry and Dupree can bend the edge while Autry works against guards.  

Tennessee gets the added bonus of stealing one of its newest defenders from a division rival and another from a fellow AFC playoff contender. "

Guess I just didn't see it then. Just seem like the plays were few and far in between.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Guess I just didn't see it then. Just seem like the plays were few and far in between.

He played more DE than 3T, but he just got more stats when inside. 

He's a classic tweener, and a very good one. 

It's how they are looking at Dayo. DL coach said he'll start at DE as to not overwhelm him, but will move inside later.

If I had to guess (I seem to recall a tweet with numbers but can't find it), I'd say that 30-40% of his snaps were inside game to game, but like 75% of his pressures/sacks came from the inside. 

I'll look for it here in a few. I can back into the snaps with some easy math though if I can't find it. Give me 30-40

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He played more DE than 3T, but he just got more stats when inside. 

He's a classic tweener, and a very good one. 

It's how they are looking at Dayo. DL coach said he'll start at DE as to not overwhelm him, but will move inside later.

If I had to guess (I seem to recall a tweet with numbers but can't find it), I'd say that 30-40% of his snaps were inside game to game, but like 75% of his pressures/sacks came from the inside. 

I'll look for it here in a few. I can back into the snaps with some easy math though if I can't find it. Give me 30-40

Look forward to it.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I think if people really step back and look at Ballard's record in terms of coaching, free agency, drafting and over all team building, it is kind of underwhelming. Like I really mean look at every move he has made.

Can't wait to see you after our next loss.  We all know you disappear after wins

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Look forward to it.

So work with me here lol... Hope I explain it well enough. And the numbers won't be perfect but pretty close.

If we assume we have 2 FTEs (full time equivalents) at DE, and 2 FTEs between 3T and NT, then both snap % of each group, should be 200%. 

• 3T/NT Individual Snaps
    • Defo 72.77%
    • Grove 56.30%
    • Stall 24.52%
    • Day 6.01%
    • Cline 1.16%
    • Windsor 0.87%
  • Total 3T/NT = 161.63%
  • So in other words, we're missing 38.37% of one body.

• DE Individual Snaps
    • JH 58.91%
    • AQM 56.10%
    • Banogu 9.69%
    • Turay 9.21%
    • Marsh 3.10%
    • Lewis 40.21%
  • Total DE = 177.01%
  • So in other words, we're missing around 23% of one body

• Autry 61.14%
  • The missing totals above are 23% DE and 38.37% DT, which equal 61.37%, very close to Autry's total. 
  • So I was wrong, looks like Autry played more interior 3T than DE.
  • Also note, Autry missed two games (Covid), in which Lewis's snap counts went up big time to fill his slot.
  • Lewis was Autry's primary backup all year within the rotation (both their % add up to about 100%), so I'm sure he (Lewis) had a little time at 3T even when Autry was healthy. So it's likely Autry's ratio is a bit off (still very very close). 

Here's where I sourced the numbers. If you look at the second link, notice how high Bucker's snaps got (92%) when Autry was out week 11

Overall %s

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2020-snap-counts.htm

Weekly

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=IND&year=2020

55 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So work with me here lol... Hope I explain it well enough. And the numbers won't be perfect but pretty close.

If we assume we have 2 FTEs (full time equivalents) at DE, and 2 FTEs between 3T and NT, then both snap % of each group, should be 200%. 

• 3T/NT Individual Snaps
    • Defo 72.77%
    • Grove 56.30%
    • Stall 24.52%
    • Day 6.01%
    • Cline 1.16%
    • Windsor 0.87%
  • Total 3T/NT = 161.63%
  • So in other words, we're missing 38.37% of one body.

• DE Individual Snaps
    • JH 58.91%
    • AQM 56.10%
    • Banogu 9.69%
    • Turay 9.21%
    • Marsh 3.10%
    • Lewis 40.21%
  • Total DE = 177.01%
  • So in other words, we're missing around 23% of one body

• Autry 61.14%
  • The missing totals above are 23% DE and 38.37% DT, which equal 61.37%, very close to Autry's total. 
  • So I was wrong, looks like Autry played more interior 3T than DE.
  • Also note, Autry missed two games (Covid), in which Lewis's snap counts went up big time to fill his slot.
  • Lewis was Autry's primary backup all year within the rotation (both their % add up to about 100%), so I'm sure he (Lewis) had a little time at 3T even when Autry was healthy. So it's likely Autry's ratio is a bit off (still very very close). 

Here's where I sourced the numbers. If you look at the second link, notice how high Bucker's snaps got (92%) when Autry was out week 11

Overall %s

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2020-snap-counts.htm

Weekly

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=IND&year=2020

Very good read. Thank you for that.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Huh?

Not true... see above

I'm glad someone was able to find the stats on pressures, because sacks and hits don't tell the whole story. Was Autry a super star? No. Was he getting paid like a superstar? Also no. He was a 'value' player--someone who didn't rise to the level of a DeForest Bucker, but who nevertheless played well, and earned every dollar of his modest salary. It's just a shame he's continuing to do that now with the Titans. Poor decision by the Colts to not resign him.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:37 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I agree. 

Unless something bad happens to him I dont see him falling off to being a bottom 3rd QB.... so like you said there won't be a urgency for the colts to replace him and most likely only a Top QB or a top QB prospect from college will be a upgrade....and I doubt either would be available for the colts to acquire them.

So I think for better or worse he's our QB present and future.

The highlighted is a completely bold assumption and almost entirely unlikely.  Rookie QB standouts in their first year rarely happen.  Those mentioned from last years draft are perfect examples of that.  Most take years to develop if they do at all.  All drafts are a gamble on QB's.  Brady is a clear example of the unknowns of the draft process.

Archived