Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard made a blunder

bleed blue4life

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Vrabel?    We didn’t like?    Did we even interview him?    

I think Ballard wanted an offensive minded head coach.   He already had Eberflus in mind.  

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/5/16856526/mike-vrabel-to-interview-with-colts-for-head-coach-vacancy-saturday

I think he was

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Autry was no Autry until he was 30 yrs old.  He didn't have anything resembling a breakout year until his 5th year in the league so comparing 26 yr old Lewis to 31 yr old Autry is kinda ridiculous.

Autry wasnt used as a starter until he got to Indy so its kind of hard to say what his stats would have been had the Raiders done so. We play a scheme that relies very heavily on pass rush. Its not ridiculous for me to say maybe we should have looked closer at who we were replacing Autry with before we let him go. Lewis isnt the only guy weve tried to turn to to replace the presence of Autry. Its not all on Lewis shoulders but its a bit of an issue when 3 guys cant replace the impact of 1 guy. We should have done better at making up for Autry departure.

3 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

I think if people really step back and look at Ballard's record in terms of coaching, free agency, drafting and over all team building, it is kind of underwhelming. Like I really mean look at every move he has made.

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Better in terms of what? Our defense still struggled to get sacks consistently last year. Why else did we spend both our top picks on pass rushers.

Define struggle? Compare our sacks from last year versus this year. Im sure the pressures were better as well. We had a few games last year when pressure was an issue but that is for sure going to happen when you rush 4 men 90 percent of the time on literally any team.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Autry wasnt used as a starter until he got to Indy so its kind of hard to say what his stats would have been had the Raiders done so.

He started 8 games in 2015, 7 in 2016 and then was reduced down to 3 in 2017...maybe he wasn't good enough yet.  DL take time to develop, kinda like were seeing with Lewis, Turay etc.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Its not ridiculous for me to say maybe we should have looked closer at who we were replacing Autry with before we let him go

I didn't say it was. I said it was ridiculous to say that Lewis (at age 26, in his 4th year) compared to Autry (31, in his 8th year).

The rest of your post is fair, but I also think a lot of it is due to scheme and defensive playcalling, not to mention talent (or lack thereof ) in the secondary.  

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

Define struggle? Compare our sacks from last year versus this year. Im sure the pressures were better as well. We had a few games last year when pressure was an issue but that is for sure going to happen when you rush 4 men 90 percent of the time on literally any team.

Did you see the complains last year of Autry and Houston not being a factor and Buckner needing help?

2 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

meanwhile the titans gm in 5 seasons is building a dynasty. jon robinison has out drafted , and added through trades and free agents talent so much better than ballard ,who has us heading for a losing season,

Right now they are better than we are but Dynasty is a stretch. With Tannehill at QB they need a lot to go right to even win 1 SB. They will got knocked off in the playoffs IMO unless Henry comes back and averages 100 yards a game. The AFC is wide open.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Right now they are better than we are but Dynasty is a stretch. With Tannehill at QB they need a lot to go right to even win 1 SB. They will got knocked off in the playoffs IMO unless Henry comes back and averages 100 yards a game. The AFC is wide open.

dynasty is not a stretch, jon robinson an ex pats scout has an eye for elite talent and he finds a way to get it, i predict they will dominate our division for years to come,

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

It takes more than that to be a dynasty.

I actually think Tannehill is a good QB (nothing special but good) but they need more to win a SB than what they have now, JMO. They are a very good team overall though especially with Henry. Saying they are a great team is pushing it and it is still early in the season - well midway through which is technically early.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think it’s that they didn’t like him it’s that they liked someone else more.

Tomato, tomato. He obviously didn’t convince them he was the guy for the job and I wonder what it was about him vs McDaniels, that made them go that route

11 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

watch and learn,

So you are predicting they win at least 3 superbowls? Owning your division and winning many SBs are two vastly different accomplishments. That said they do look good right now but its way to early to crown them....

philly GIF

Well we all know Eberflus was Ballard guy, however who knows if he is also Reich guy. Would Flus failure means Reich failure? Will we give Reich a chance to pick his own DC or would Reich be placed in hot seat after another failed or average season? I know Reich aint a perfect play caller, but we have given many leads as Mr. Irsay tweeted today about it.

2 minutes ago, life long said:

So you are predicting they win at least 3 superbowls? Owning your division and winning many SBs are two vastly different accomplishments. That said they do look good right now but its way to early to crown them....

philly GIF

Yep a Dynasty to me is winning at least 3 SB's with the same core. We weren't even a Dynasty from 2002-2010 with Peyton and we won 10 or more games every year in that span, won the division 7 times, went to 3 AFC Title Games, 2 SB's and won a SB in the middle of that run in 2006. The Titans won't even sniff that success, Henry won't last that long.

3 minutes ago, life long said:

that is not my definition of a dynasty, they will dominate our division for several years untill jax rookie qb takes them down, ballard has us not in the picture

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

robinson improved the team in the off season , while ballard took us south

I can't be a hypocrite, I wasn't enormously upset when Autry left, especially when we used 2 top picks on passs rashers. However, it's looking more and more like a poor bit of self scouting, especially after performance like last night.

For those that say we couldn't afford it it's worthwhile looking at where we spent the money instead.

Denico Autry signed a 3 year, $21,500,000 contract including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $9,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,166,667

Grover Stewart signed a 3 year, $30,750,000 contract including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $19,247,176 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,250,000.

Different positions I know but the same area of the team. Right now I know who I'd prefer.

6 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Yes

IIRC Vrabel was hired before we got the chance to finish our hiring process. We had a shortlist of names, interviewed him, and he was hired by TN before we finished.

Though, it seems like Ballard already wanted the New England renegade anyway

I like autry. But he’s like 31/32 years old. You can’t build a team for just 1 or 2 years. Also, Titans might have the best dline in the game so it’s making Autry look even better. 

Kwity looks like a very good player in the making and let’s see how Dayo looks next season before getting too upset about not resigning autry. 

I was very upset when we went cheap and did not resign Autry. He is a very underated player and gives 110 % effort on every play. Instead we sign Rochelle who hardly plays and to make things worse Autry goes to a division rival!

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is such a great point. I fail to believe all these draft picks have failed because they were bad picks. Defensive coaches have not developed players.

Possibly true.  But, at least no one's feelings are being hurt because a coach is loud, profane, mean, etc.

5 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I can't be a hypocrite, I wasn't enormously upset when Autry left, especially when we used 2 top picks on passs rashers. However, it's looking more and more like a poor bit of self scouting, especially after performance like last night.

For those that say we couldn't afford it it's worthwhile looking at where we spent the money instead.

Denico Autry signed a 3 year, $21,500,000 contract including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $9,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,166,667

Grover Stewart signed a 3 year, $30,750,000 contract including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $19,247,176 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,250,000.

Different positions I know but the same area of the team. Right now I know who I'd prefer.

Or perhaps the scat back that they gave 3/$18M. 

55 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Gotta pay Q.

Gotta pay DL.

Gotta pay Taylor.

Paid Buck big bucks.

Pick one you’d sacrifice for Damico f’in Autry.

Let the kids grow.. in time Kwity and Dayo will make you forget all about your precious Autry. 

The DL is locked up though. The only impending FA was Lewis, who would have been looking at a cheap deal.

Taylor isn’t even eligible for an extension until AFTER next season.

Could have easily given Autry the Hines money. Autry’s impact will surely be greater the next 3 years. 

But what’s done is done.

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

IIRC Vrabel was hired before we got the chance to finish our hiring process. We had a shortlist of names, interviewed him, and he was hired by TN before we finished.

JRob had the Vrabel connection from NE as well. 

Ballard did seem focused on McDaniels. It was all a bit surreal…that McDaniels was going to come here (after everything that has happened)…and then we got jolted back into reality.

26 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

JRob had the Vrabel connection from NE as well. 

Ballard did seem focused on McDaniels. It was all a bit surreal…that McDaniels was going to come here (after everything that has happened)…and then we got jolted back into reality.

Yup, it was either we offered Vrabel the job right away or we'd lose him and that's what happened. 

Seeing everything that Indy has gone through, i know folks get funny about Reich, but we need to be really thankful we got Frank not that New England dude. These last few years have absolutely needed a HC with integrity and spine.

4 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

McDaniels was the guy all along. He just went through the motions with everyone else.  Just getting to know the others and filling out his notebook for future reference.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

You're missing my point. He would go long stretches without ever hearing his name. Yes he had 7.5 sacks, but that was like 2 sacks one game then no sacks for like the next 4 games

Now we have guys who will go 9 games without a sack . Autry by the end of the year probably will have more sacks than both our starters .  Autry was more then a sack guy he set the edge and was a pressure machine and disruptive. There is a reason this defense was 8th last year and fell off edge pressure matters .

Archived