Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any Draft Crushes yet?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2022 at 8:18 PM, GoColts8818 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33044808/sources-star-alabama-crimson-tide-wr-jameson-williams-torn-acl

Not a crush but if he slips in the draft because of this I wonder if the Colts would look into trying to get him.

Yeah, I did wonder about that.

Let us say Colts fans, Jameson Williams, because of his injury, drops to No.40, and Ballard is sitting there at No.47, would he be willing to give up a 2nd and future 3rd to get him?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Let us say Colts fans, Jameson Williams, because of his injury, drops to No.40, and Ballard is sitting there at No.47, would he be willing to give up a 2nd and future 3rd to get him?

Probably depends on what other WRs or other needs are still on the board then.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I can’t ever see Ballard giving up pics for a WR, and no GM ever should unless it’s a late round pic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 7:27 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Man Trey McBride is starting to really grow on me. He was the Mackey Award winner and I think he’s definitely the best TE in this class. He screams Ballard guy too.

-Team Captain

-Dominant on Tape

-Humble guy with humble beginnings

-Athletic

-Willing blocker

Also can play multiple alignments as well. Here’s a quick write up on him

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/trey-mcbride-2022-nfl-draft-profile-skill-set

As I have the same last name, I endorse this TE as a draft pick for the Colts.  LOL

On 2/17/2022 at 9:13 PM, Zoltan said:

WR Samori Toure out of Nebraska. He’s a smart player with great route running. 

yes! Very surprised he transferred to Nebraska with a very inconsistent qb, I think that hurt his draft prospects. He will probably be a low selection because of his 40 time, but he is very productive. Great risk reward pick!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, John Hammonds said:

1. David Bell, WR, Purdue - Perhaps not the speediest receiver out there, but the Indy far eastside product regularly beats coverage and makes big plays.  Right now, he's early-mid 2nd round.  Am going to be very interested in his combine 40-yd time.

2. Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington - Not necessarily on the larger side, but is a heady zone corner, who makes few mistakes.  Right now, is projected to be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd, but you never know.

3. Jordan Davis, DL1T, Georgia - No, we don't need a DL1T.  We've got Grover Stewart.  Except, that Davis is bigger and better.  A mammoth man who can move, and swallow offensive linemen whole.

Pretty lousy Combine for Bell (4.65 40 time, meh agility drill times, etc.). I'm sure he'll

run again at his Pro Day. But he didn't help himself. Barring major improvement at 

the PD, he's probably a mid-late-3rd rounder now.

Still like his skill-set. But I don't like his fit with the Colts. They have a WR-2/possesion 

guy (Pittman). They need to add a more dynamic, athletic WR with at least WR-1 traits. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, chad72 said:

I would do that trade for a QB

Christian Watson and Jelani Woods were my crushes going into the combine.  Nothing changed that. 

Bell has roasted my Hawkeyes more than any player in the Big Ten over the years. He knows how to find an open spot in a soft zone.  Originally, I didn’t think he would be there when the Colts pick. Now, I think he will be. However, if the Colts go WR @47 I think it should be for a more dynamic WR.  Bell and Pittman would be fine but I have to think Ballard is looking for more speed considering he stated they’re not handing Campbell a job. 

On 2/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, chad72 said:

Would you?  Consider he might not be ready to start the year and truly won’t be 100% all season long.  Pick 40 would be a four year contract.  WR is a position of immediate need.  You would get 1st round talent years 2-4.  There’s a lot of top notch WR’s in this draft. 

15 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

With our first 2 picks would really like to see D. Ridder QB and D. Bell WR. Would change the dynamic of our O instantly. Bell will be a special player. Ridder could also.

I am starting to warm up to Corral of the QBs this year

He needs some time to develop, but seems to have what it takes to be an NFL QB

He ISNT Elite

I am so so on Ridder.....  

He has a long windup that allows the DL to get their hands up (Alabama game)

The pro defenses will pick up on that

I dont see a single QB from this draft that can start game 1, so we need Carson or another FA QB

AT this point

If we can fill the obvious holes on the team in FA DE, WR, TE, LT

Take a flyer on a second round QB...... I dont like it, but we should keep trying until we get the QB of the future

And we resign fisher, 

• 3 weeks later...

Giving this a bump as I continue to do more draft research. This will be an interesting draft, because there will be some interesting players possibly available  at the Colts picks.

The fall off In talent at our positions of need at our early picks, will be overshadowed by some great players who play positions we don’t desperately need.

For example we desperately need a WR and pass catching TE. You would hope you take one at pick 42. However, a guy who I think can be really special in Daxton Hill might be available. I like some of the 2nd round receivers like Tolbert and Metchie, but man is Hill a way better player.

NT is not a need whatsoever but Travis Jones is an absolute beast and would make Grover Stewart expendable. His athletic profile is ridiculous for his size and he’s got a better floor and ceiling than Stewart.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, stitches said:

My draft crushes so far:

- Nakobe Dean, LB from Georgia

- Jordan Battle S from Alabama

- Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn State

- Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M

I publicly renounce my crush on Jalen Wydermyer. You cannot rn 5.03 as a TE and remain a crush, sorry. 

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I publicly renounce my crush on Jalen Wydermyer. You cannot rn 5.03 as a TE and remain a crush, sorry. 

I would gladly take the steady presence of a Charlie Kolar, he should fit in well with our offense while having safe and secure hands. He won't run away from you but he will do a bit of everything. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Giving this a bump as I continue to do more draft research. This will be an interesting draft, because there will be some interesting players possibly available  at the Colts picks.

The fall off In talent at our positions of need at our early picks, will be overshadowed by some great players who play positions we don’t desperately need.

For example we desperately need a WR and pass catching TE. You would hope you take one at pick 42. However, a guy who I think can be really special in Daxton Hill might be available. I like some of the 2nd round receivers like Tolbert and Metchie, but man is Hill a way better player.

NT is not a need whatsoever but Travis Jones is an absolute beast and would make Grover Stewart expendable. His athletic profile is ridiculous for his size and he’s got a better floor and ceiling than Stewart.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Dude, you had the same thought as I did and I didn't even look at this post. Go look at the thread I started about safeties, Daxton Hill is my target for No. 42 now and it makes a LOT of sense.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

I would gladly take the steady presence of a Charlie Kolar, he should fit in well with our offense while having safe and secure hands. He won't run away from you but he will do a bit of everything. 

I think fans will be upset with the TE group. Granson CB grabbed for the pass catching side. Mo was re-signed for the “Doyle” side of things. Blocking and being more all around. I would not be shocked if he grabs one in the draft but late. Like late on day 3. 

33 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I think fans will be upset with the TE group. Granson CB grabbed for the pass catching side. Mo was re-signed for the “Doyle” side of things. Blocking and being more all around. I would not be shocked if he grabs one in the draft but late. Like late on day 3. 

I agree.  I don’t think we’ll draft one.  Heck, that Farrod Green has  camped on our PS for two years (like MAC did a few years ago), and I really liked that Eli Wolf of Georgia in last year’s draft, who eventually made his way to our off-season roster.  I bet Ballard is fairly happy with his group…

46 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Granson was a 4th round pick. Not a lock as TE2 just yet. As we’ve seen in the past, Ballard will find upgrades over players he says to love. He really liked Marlon Mack and still drafted Taylor. He really liked Turray and Lewis and still drafted Paye and Dayo. I don’t think an undersized TE drafted in the 4th round is preventing us from drafting a TE.

I agree that it could be day 3 though. I think about a guy like Jake Ferguson or Cole Turner In the 5th round. Or may Jelani Woods who is a raw project.

Akayleb Evans - CB - Missouri - seems like a very Ballard like pick

Bubba Bolden - S - Miami - Could be a single high safety?

Cam Taylor-Britt - CB Nebraska - another Ballard like guy

Christian Watson - Several others have mentioned him. This dude could be a problem at the next level

Velus Jones Jr - WR Tennessee - Speed kills

Kellen Diesch - LT Arizona State - Good pass protector, but needs to bulk up

I agree with a lot of the other posters lists as well, but wanted to add a few new names to the list for the later rounds (other than Watson).

My favorite player in this years draft is Deangelo Malone Outside linebacker from Western Kentucky, maybe we can get him in the 3rd round. He lives behind the line of scrimmage. He would be a tremendous blitzer, if Bradley knows how to utilize that facet of the game.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Granson was a 4th round pick. Not a lock as TE2 just yet. As we’ve seen in the past, Ballard will find upgrades over players he says to love. He really liked Marlon Mack and still drafted Taylor. He really liked Turray and Lewis and still drafted Paye and Dayo. I don’t think an undersized TE drafted in the 4th round is preventing us from drafting a TE.

I agree that it could be day 3 though. I think about a guy like Jake Ferguson or Cole Turner In the 5th round. Or may Jelani Woods who is a raw project.

He drafted Taylor because he was way better than an injured Marlon Mack. He’s better than even the healthy side as well and he drafts BPA period. Could he draft one yes because of BPA. I’m just saying his big board is probably not set with guys on the top like fans think. He had an injured Turay and struggling Lewis. So he got depth slash potential replacements. 

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The biggest thing with the GM is he will go BPA according to his board. Some guys won't make it to his board but if the BPA in round 2 is a RB, he'll pick a RB. 

Ditto TE, QB, DI, S, etc. The reason it doesnt always make sense to fans is we're not anywhere close to seeing what his board looks like.

The names i bring up are not just for the Colts. They're guys i'd be happy watching wherever they end up. I prefer they end up in Indy of course but schemes matter and not all may necessarily fit.

Travis Jones, defensive tackle UConn. This guy is a load. He's where Grover Stewart is now. In a couple years, he could be a pro-bowler. Moves men with ease. You're not running against this guy. Faced constant double teams (he was uconn's best player so no surprise there), strong, agile, and a relentless engine. I don't see him dropping past the 2nd round but if he does....well, he'll be a steal for someone. 

Troy Anderson LB intrigues me the most. Carson Strong 2nd. 

Anderson can be an all pro or all bust. Former QB playing DE than finally LB. I believe he could play Mike. 

Strong seems to be smart and can make back shoulder throw with ease. 

We don't  need either. But I  also thought Joe Ostman was the next big thing.

7 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The biggest thing with the GM is he will go BPA according to his board. Some guys won't make it to his board but if the BPA in round 2 is a RB, he'll pick a RB. 

Ditto TE, QB, DI, S, etc. The reason it doesnt always make sense to fans is we're not anywhere close to seeing what his board looks like.

I would agree with part of this

On an early draft pick he would go BPA that FITS one of the needs

Example......  Lets say that we need a FS, LT, WR, CB, and TE 

I believe that he will pick BPA.... within this smaller group

So a BPA approach, but not a pure BPA

10 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Which is why I won’t be surprised if pick 42 isn’t even a WR or TE. I could see FS and even a QB there. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would agree with part of this

On an early draft pick he would go BPA that FITS one of the needs

Example......  Lets say that we need a FS, LT, WR, CB, and TE 

I believe that he will pick BPA.... within this smaller group

So a BPA approach, but not a pure BPA

That’s essentially what Ballard said in an interview awhile back. That they go BPA. If there’s two players that are graded similarly, then they’ll go with the need. 

9 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The names i bring up are not just for the Colts. They're guys i'd be happy watching wherever they end up. I prefer they end up in Indy of course but schemes matter and not all may necessarily fit.

Travis Jones, defensive tackle UConn. This guy is a load. He's where Grover Stewart is now. In a couple years, he could be a pro-bowler. Moves men with ease. You're not running against this guy. Faced constant double teams (he was uconn's best player so no surprise there), strong, agile, and a relentless engine. I don't see him dropping past the 2nd round but if he does....well, he'll be a steal for someone. 

Travis Jones is one of the 5 safest players in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I want the Colts to go get this dude in the draft.  A bit raw but he is going to be a player at this level and I prefer my linemen nasty:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-tulsa-tackle-tyler-smith-is-the-bodyguard-every-nfl-team-needs-2022-nfl-draft

Gotta like....

“People are trying to hurt my quarterback,” Smith said. “That's my brother, and now it's my job to protect him. I'm really protecting somebody's life back there.”

38 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I want the Colts to go get this dude in the draft.  A bit raw but he is going to be a player at this level and I prefer my linemen nasty:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-tulsa-tackle-tyler-smith-is-the-bodyguard-every-nfl-team-needs-2022-nfl-draft

If he is there in the 3rd, after we get our WR in round 2...... why not

Round 4 should have some decent TEs

18 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If he is there in the 3rd, after we get our WR in round 2...... why not

Round 4 should have some decent TEs

There are some mocks that put him in the first. It's possible he gets overdrafted because he has good physical and athletic traits that fit the LT mold, but he's very raw. Reminds me a bit of that OT that the Texans forced in the 1st after Philly jumped them for Andre Dillard - Tytus Howard. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

There are some mocks that put him in the first. It's possible he gets overdrafted because he has good physical and athletic traits that fit the LT mold, but he's very raw. Reminds me a bit of that OT that the Texans forced in the 1st after Philly jumped them for Andre Dillard - Tytus Howard. 

Ultimately you may be right

But I think there are just too many other decent prospects to see this kid get drafted in round 1

Archived