Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any Draft Crushes yet?

My guy Sam LaPorta from Iowa declared. I really like him. Watched him in the bowl game against Kentucky and they had no answer for him. 

I’m telling you guys, this may be the best TE class I’ve ever seen. We’ve talked about the Seniors but these juniors like LaPorta, Allen, and Otton are something.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

My guy Sam LaPorta from Iowa declared. I really like him. Watched him in the bowl game against Kentucky and they had no answer for him. 

I’m telling you guys, this may be the best TE class I’ve ever seen. We’ve talked about the Seniors but these juniors like LaPorta, Allen, and Otton are something.

The view of the TE class is that there are a good number of Day 2 prospects.  But there is likely not a Day One TE.    I’m not sure how this qualifies as the best TE class you’ve ever seen?   

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The view of the TE class is that there are a good number of Day 2 prospects.  But there is likely not a Day One TE.    I’m not sure how this qualifies as the best TE class you’ve ever seen?   

It definitely doesn’t have that elite first round TE prospect. But typically TE is a 2nd-5th round position anyways. Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, George Kittle, Hunter Henry, Gronk, etc.. we’re all drafted in that range. TE has never been a position like WR where you typically have like 3-4 1st round guys and then a bunch of guys that fly off the board at the top of the 2nd.

This draft has a lot of guys in that mid round range that all have great traits and could be great contributors. I also don’t see a ton of drop off in terms of talent and ceiling with this class. For example I think Tre McBride is just as good as Jalen Wydmyer. 

Basically there’s a lot of options or variety at the same level in this class. It’s like when you go car shopping and you’ve got a price range in mind and certain features you’re looking for and  the dealership has like 8 cars that you love. Sometimes the only difference may be what type of interior your prefer. That’s how I see this class.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

After Reich's non-commital response on Wentz I will start watching QBs again. I think I will make a separate thread to discuss them there. 

I think if we somehow move off Wentz, we will try to trade for a veteran or sign a free agent.  

Hard to see us drafting a QB out of this class… 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if we somehow move off Wentz, we will try to trade for a veteran or sign a free agent.  

Hard to see us drafting a QB out of this class… 

I kind of have been thinking that it's possible we move off Wentz... but keep him for next year as a stop gap. He still gives you some base level of performance where you can field a functional offense in case the rookie you draft is not ready. It would be kind of awkward with Frank and Wentz, though, so I don't know if it's very likely. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I kind of have been thinking that it's possible we move off Wentz... but keep him for next year as a stop gap. He still gives you some base level of performance where you can field a functional offense in case the rookie you draft is not ready. It would be kind of awkward with Frank and Wentz, though, so I don't know if it's very likely. 

I’ve thought about the idea too. And you’d have to think that they’ve already been thinking a year or two in advance at QB. Don’t think Ellinger is anything more than a backup option, so Ballard has probably done his homework. 

Man Trey McBride is starting to really grow on me. He was the Mackey Award winner and I think he’s definitely the best TE in this class. He screams Ballard guy too.

-Team Captain

-Dominant on Tape

-Humble guy with humble beginnings

-Athletic

-Willing blocker

Also can play multiple alignments as well. Here’s a quick write up on him

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/trey-mcbride-2022-nfl-draft-profile-skill-set

On 1/11/2022 at 9:16 PM, NorthernColt said:

Yeah the timing with us needing a TE and this class adds up well. Theres literally like 5-8 TES that I'd love to add.

Yes.  Its a good TE class.  I was high on Charlie Kolar last year but he returned for his senior year and played really well this year. 

There is a tall dude from Nebraska that declared.  He looks like he's going to be a beast.

On 12/20/2021 at 7:05 PM, husker61 said:

Nebraska te Austin Allen 6’ 7” 250 declared for the draft. Not sure where he will be slotted, but would love the colts to get him. He set the Nebraska te receptions record playing with a very erratic qb.

I am hoping he isn’t too highly rated and the colts can get him in the 3rd round.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  Its a good TE class.  I was high on Charlie Kolar last year but he returned for his senior year and played really well this year. 

There is a tall dude from Nebraska that declared.  He looks like he's going to be a beast.

Big fan of Kolar too. Do it all type.

For whoever posted about Laporta, he just announced he's returning to school this year. Tough one for this TE class.

20 hours ago, DougDew said:

Really liked Kolar last year. Haven't watched him this season. Did he take another jump this year? 

On 1/13/2022 at 6:38 PM, NorthernColt said:

Big fan of Kolar too. Do it all type.

For whoever posted about Laporta, he just announced he's returning to school this year. Tough one for this TE class.

Not a terrible decision on his part. He’s still new-ish to the TE position. A year of refinement and he’ll be a top 100 pick.

Kolar I’ve seen mocked to us twice. I have to do more homework him but I’ve seen some highlights. Passes the eye test for sure though.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:24 PM, stitches said:

After Reich's non-commital response on Wentz I will start watching QBs again. I think I will make a separate thread to discuss them there. 

I will be looking out for that thread. What I have heard is that this is not a draft with top quarterbacks. I read that the 2023 draft should have much better QB prospects.

I hope to watch more college football this coming fall than I did last year.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, stitches said:

And after Ballard's press-conference I'm in full on "Watch ALL THE QBs" mode

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I will be looking out for that thread. What I have heard is that this is not a draft with top quarterbacks. I read that the 2023 draft should have much better QB prospects.

I hope to watch more college football this coming fall than I did last year.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. This is kind of a double edged sword for teams with need at QB and especially ones like the Colts without a pick in the 1st round - it means there won't be a race to the no.1 pick to get any of those players. It will mean... pretty much ALL of them are within reach if you want any of them strong enough. There is no QB teams won't trade out of like the Trevor Lawrences or Zach Wilson's of the world from last year's draft. 

Evaluating QBs is a very peculiar thing. Most of the time in order to draft someone high you have to be really sold on him... and teams get sold on players for all sorts of reasons. From what I gather there are a bunch of QBs in this year's draft that are borderline 1st rounders(a bit like Mac Jones level tier from last year's draft), so it will be all in the eyes of the beholder. Any of them can go in the teens or they can fall to the second. So if a team like the Colts is really sold on some of those QBs I can absolutely see a scenario where they trade their future 1st to get in the middle of the 1st for Sam Howell or Malik Willis or whoever they fall in love with. 

So yeah... with this draft it's much more about whether your GM falls in love with somebody rather than whether they can reasonably go get him. 

From PFF Draft Position Ranking for Tackles.  A Left Tackle at about the right value for the Colts' draft position.  There are quite a few OTs listed this year.

10. KELLEN DIESCH, ARIZONA STATE

BIG BOARD RANK: 66

Diesch was one of the highest-graded Power Five tackles in the country this past season and really never got taken advantage of in pass protection. He allowed multiple pressures only once this season and allowed all of seven all year long.

About Kellen Diesch.  NFLDraftBuzz. com.  6'7" 300 

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY

Kellen Diesch is a quality NFL-caliber tackle who has excellent pass blocking skills and a natural feel in protection. He hasn't seen a lot of playing time but we don't see this as a big issue since in the games we have seen he has performed admirably and displayed a high-level skill set.
He isn't a perfect prospect however and has limited strength which he will need to improve in an NFL weight room.

We see Diesch as a player with a very high floor and a moderate ceiling who could quite easily have a nice career in the pros as a starting tackle.
He'll likely hear his name called in the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft.

IMO it's kind of a waste of brain cells to try to figure out the OTs before we see their measurements. After last year's draft class and the comments by Ballard, it's pretty clear they have some physical thresholds they need a LT prospect to hit. They had a chance to draft several OTs last year but passed on them because they didn't fit the mold, and furthermore Ballard himself confirmed that after the draft. At this point I will start looking at OTs film after I see the Senior Bowl and Combine numbers(IMO mainly armlength >34").

17 hours ago, stitches said:

IMO it's kind of a waste of brain cells to try to figure out the OTs before we see their measurements. After last year's draft class and the comments by Ballard, it's pretty clear they have some physical thresholds they need a LT prospect to hit. They had a chance to draft several OTs last year but passed on them because they didn't fit the mold, and furthermore Ballard himself confirmed that after the draft. At this point I will start looking at OTs film after I see the Senior Bowl and Combine numbers(IMO mainly armlength >34").

Yeah OT and CB are two positions where there have to be certain physical traits a player has to have for Ballard. We only have to wait about a week though because we’ll get measurements at the Senior Bowl.

On a side note, start that QB topic up because I have some things I’d like to add in lol.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah OT and CB are two positions where there have to be certain physical traits a player has to have for Ballard. We only have to wait about a week though because we’ll get measurements at the Senior Bowl.

On a side note, start that QB topic up because I have some things I’d like to add in lol.

This is true but not a set-in-stone thing. He drafted Rodgers and plays him outside when needed and he has looked pretty good. 

14 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is true but not a set-in-stone thing. He drafted Rodgers and plays him outside when needed and he has looked pretty good. 

Rodgers I believe has long arms though. But he played outside this season out of necessity, not necessarily because that’s his best fit. He’s only 5’8” and we saw the bigger receivers we played eat him up. Kenny Moore is also short but his wingspan is 80” if I’m not mistaken. Ballard has a thing for defenders with long arms.

44 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Rodgers I believe has long arms though. But he played outside this season out of necessity, not necessarily because that’s his best fit. He’s only 5’8” and we saw the bigger receivers we played eat him up. Kenny Moore is also short but his wingspan is 80” if I’m not mistaken. Ballard has a thing for defenders with long arms.

Oh I agree he has his numbers he likes but I’m just saying that it’s not a permanent thing. 

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There are conflicting reports about Rodgers' arms. He looks taller than 5'8" to me(the number from his pro day is 5'10 7/8"... so almost 5'11". According to reports from his pro day his arms were over 32. Here's one from Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy:

BTW, I think Rodgers is an outside corner. I want him on the outside. He looks good there. Looks like he can actually be a long-term solution for us there. 

• 2 weeks later...

New player on my watch list:  Sean Rhyan, OT, UCLA, 6-5 318#, DraftTek rank #76

Just in case we don't choose an OL in the 2nd round, I was testing out players down the list for possible diamonds in the rough.  Most of the OT's in that range look like RT's.

The write-up on Sean Rhyan is that he is a behemoth of a man, with high power, great run blocking, and good awareness.  I watched highlight film on him, and he's shown playing both left and right tackle.  The downside on him is that he lacks exceptional proportional length.  (In English:  his arms aren't long enough.)  I haven't pulled out a tape measure, but I don't thinks his arms are as short as Eichenberg's.  But he suffers from a similar issue.  It's something he has to deal with in his pass blocking.

All things being said, if we were to draft a DB or a WR at #47, I could see us taking a look at Ryan at #82.

2 hours ago, Matabix said:

Billy Zappe from W. Kentucky. I don't watch much college ball but this guy seems intriguing. Going to the Senior Bowl and invited to the combine.

I know a bit about him. He went to some super small D3 school and transferred to W. Kentucky for one year of higher ranked competition.

I need to see the tape though because the hype I hear behind his name makes we wonder if he’s one of those classic guys who gets overrated because he doesn’t have the “wow” physical traits but he’s got the intangibles, he’s smart, doesn’t turn the ball over, etc… Think Jake Fromm, A.J. McCarron, Taylor Heinicke, etc…

Having just drafted Granson and MAC also being young, I'm not high on drafting TE early with this deep class.

But Austin Allen has a chance to be something special.  Playing for 3-9 Nebraska and with inconsistent QB play, he is probably not well known amongst fans.  Got noticed by the BIG coaches and media though ( voted BIG 10 TE Of The Year).  He's playing in a third tier post season draft bowl game, but he just received an invite to the combine.

At 6'9"" (yes, that's a 9) 255, he's got good hands and surprisingly good athleticism.   (And even Wentz couldn't over throw him, LOL).  Looks fast enough, but the combine tape will tell.

This rather pro-Nebraska site has a pretty fair write-up and says the 5th round.  I think he goes before that:

https://www.cornnation.com/2021/11/24/22800064/austin-allen-nfl-draft-outlook

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know a bit about him. He went to some super small D3 school and transferred to W. Kentucky for one year of higher ranked competition.

I need to see the tape though because the hype I hear behind his name makes we wonder if he’s one of those classic guys who gets overrated because he doesn’t have the “wow” physical traits but he’s got the intangibles, he’s smart, doesn’t turn the ball over, etc… Think Jake Fromm, A.J. McCarron, Taylor Heinicke, etc…

Seems short and more of a dink and dunk QB. Decent average yards. Seems smart. What round is he projected so far?

Getting pretty crushy on Obinna Eze, OT, from TCU.  Nigerian, who’s a big Christian and would fit in from a character/work ethic standpoint.  Just measured in at 6’6.25”, 327, 36.125” arms at the EWS game.  He’s a 3rd/4th round guy most places…

On 1/15/2022 at 11:36 AM, NorthernColt said:

Another guy I really like is Jaxson Kirkland. LT out of Washington. Big dude, and moves really well. Shows really well on tape. Rumor has it that most people think he's going to test really well, so we'd likely have to take him with our 2nd, if he even makes it that far.

I just read his profile, he seems promising but....

I think our best chance of getting a future LT, without a 1st round pick, is where you find someone that has the frame and is a bit light that you can be patient with as they grow and develop into the position

If you think about it, if Jaxson tests and measures well, he wont even last to our spot in the 2nd

There are very few hidden gems these days... it happens.... but its rare

Getting an excellent LT, that is immediate starting drafting outside of round 1, is sort of like getting a picture of Elvis having tea with a Yeti.

:)

On 1/29/2022 at 8:47 AM, DougDew said:

Having just drafted Granson and MAC also being young, I'm not high on drafting TE early with this deep class.

But Austin Allen has a chance to be something special.  Playing for 3-9 Nebraska and with inconsistent QB play, he is probably not well known amongst fans.  Got noticed by the BIG coaches and media though ( voted BIG 10 TE Of The Year).  He's playing in a third tier post season draft bowl game, but he just received an invite to the combine.

At 6'9"" (yes, that's a 9) 255, he's got good hands and surprisingly good athleticism.   (And even Wentz couldn't over throw him, LOL).  Looks fast enough, but the combine tape will tell.

This rather pro-Nebraska site has a pretty fair write-up and says the 5th round.  I think he goes before that:

https://www.cornnation.com/2021/11/24/22800064/austin-allen-nfl-draft-outlook

Sheeze, this guy has an ENORMOUS catch radius.... almost unfair

Sign me up in round 4!!!! 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I just read his profile, he seems promising but....

I think our best chance of getting a future LT, without a 1st round pick, is where you find someone that has the frame and is a bit light that you can be patient with as they grow and develop into the position

If you think about it, if Jaxson tests and measures well, he wont even last to our spot in the 2nd

There are very few hidden gems these days... it happens.... but its rare

Getting an excellent LT, that is immediate starting drafting outside of round 1, is sort of like getting a picture of Elvis having tea with a Yeti.

:)

Well, bad news for both of us. Just read he injured himself training for the senior bowl and now is withdrawing his name from the draft and going back to school.

Archived