Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Observations from Packers - Cardinals game


chad72
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rodgers gets pass happy from the goal line. Most teams like a Peyton or Brady led team would just simply run it most of the time on a 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2!against a Cardinals D that gives up about 5 YPC.

 

Then the new age QBs like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, just like Peyton in his early years do not understand check downs to RBs that are real open, try to play hero too much and go for longer completions. That’s why Brady won earlier in his career, stayed within the structure of his offense and never played hero. Brees was similar to Brady too.

 

Pride is a funny thing. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Rodgers gets pass happy from the goal line. Most teams like a Peyton or Brady led team would just simply run it most of the time on a 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2!against a Cardinals D that gives up about 5 YPC.

 

Then the new age QBs like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, just like Peyton in his early years do not understand check downs to RBs that are real open, try to play hero too much and go for longer completions. That’s why Brady won earlier in his career, stayed within the structure of his offense and never played hero. Brees was similar to Brady too.

 

Pride is a funny thing. :) 

Packers going to pull up set

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

My observation from tonight's game is simple. Ballard's idea of building only through the draft needs to go out the window asap. Because with it will never get to the next level

DeFo

Wentz

Moore

Fisher

Rhodes

Muhammed 

Carrie

Glowinski

Pascal

All have played well for us. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, buccolts said:

DeFo

Wentz

Moore

Fisher

Rhodes

Muhammed 

Carrie

Glowinski

Pascal

All have played well for us. 

 

exactly which is why we need more. look how well stacked Arizona is smh i mean sure they lost but if Hopkins doesn't get injured i think Arizona would have blown out the pack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

exactly which is why we need more. look how well stacked Arizona is smh i mean sure they lost but if Hopkins doesn't get injured i think Arizona would have blown out the pack

So, is it that we haven't brought in enough, or that we haven't brought in the right ones?

If the later, which one's did you want. Not which ones do you want now, but at the time they were available, and I want to know all of them. If the list is pretty much everyone, I know you're not serious.

 

EDIT: And understand that the issue you expressed was that you didn't like the idea of 'building only through the draft'. I'm suggesting that we're not, and offered the names of those we didn't draft and are doing well. So,....... ?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I almost picked the Packers to win this game just because of Aaron. I knew it would be close. IMO by my eye sight and resume he is the 6th greatest QB ever to play only behind Tom, Joe, Peyton, Unitas, and Elway. One can make an argument for Graham but he played way back in the 40's/early 50's - not a ton of film on him but he does have the resume. Aaron is on his way to winning another MVP. Aaron can win even without top WR's that is what makes him special.

 

I predicted in here before the season GB would win the SB by beating the Bills - my AFC pick. He wants that 2nd SB, once he gets that my top 6 ranking is justified bigtime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, is it that we haven't brought in enough, or that we haven't brought in the right ones?

If the later, which one's did you want. Not which ones do you want now, but at the time they were available, and I want to know all of them. If the list is pretty much everyone, I know you're not serious.

 

EDIT: And understand that the issue you expressed was that you didn't like the idea of 'building only through the draft'. I'm suggesting that we're not, and offered the names of those we didn't draft and are doing well. So,....... ?

Wow, kinda makes one think outside the box. Negotiations we hear about and some we don’t. Agents are right in the thick of things for players and the highest bidder(owners).

Show me the :cash:!!!

If only the owners would ask for our advice…:bossy:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I almost picked the Packers to win this game just because of Aaron. I knew it would be close. IMO by my eye sight and resume he is the 6th greatest QB ever to play only behind Tom, Joe, Peyton, Unitas, and Elway. One can make an argument for Graham but he played way back in the 40's/early 50's - not a ton of film on him but he does have the resume. Aaron is on his way to winning another MVP. Aaron can win even without top WR's that is what makes him special.

 

I predicted in here before the season GB would win the SB by beating the Bills - my AFC pick. He wants that 2nd SB, once he gets that my top 6 ranking is justified bigtime.

 

I can actually see the Rams taking back the division and finishing at #2 in the NFC and Bucs finishing #3 with the Packers finishing at #1 and Cowboys #4 in the NFC. Cardinals end up at #5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I can actually see the Rams taking back the division and finishing at #2 in the NFC and Bucs finishing #3 with the Packers finishing at #1 and Cowboys #4 in the NFC. Cardinals end up at #5.

Bucs and Rams will be tough outs for GB, Bucs have Tom of course and we seen what their D is capable of. I like Stafford he is solid good + they have a very good if not great D. It will be interesting. Remember GB almost beat the Bucs last year in the NFC Title Game and the Bucs D was playing lights out at the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

Rodgers gets pass happy from the goal line. Most teams like a Peyton or Brady led team would just simply run it most of the time on a 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2!against a Cardinals D that gives up about 5 YPC.

 

Then the new age QBs like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, just like Peyton in his early years do not understand check downs to RBs that are real open, try to play hero too much and go for longer completions. That’s why Brady won earlier in his career, stayed within the structure of his offense and never played hero. Brees was similar to Brady too.

 

Pride is a funny thing. :) 

 

Actually if I remember correctly,  brady passed often near the goal line, especially to his TE's. And when he had that big year with Moss and wanting to break Manning's TD record I think he almost exclusively passed near the goal line. 

 

But I've been thinking about this for awhile.  TD passes are so important statistically that there should be some kind of system that they are less rewarding to QB's if they are thrown in the instances you mentioned above.

 

A TD pass shouldn't be as rewarding statistically & ratings wise if throw on 1st or 2nd down at the 1 or 2 yard line as a TD pass thrown on 3rd down at the 25. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Actually if I remember correctly,  brady passed often near the goal line, especially to his TE's. And when he had that big year with Moss and wanting to break Manning's TD record I think he almost exclusively passed near the goal line. 

 

But I've been thinking about this for awhile.  TD passes are so important statistically that there should be some kind of system that they are less rewarding to QB's if they are thrown in the instances you mentioned above.

 

A TD pass shouldn't be as rewarding statistically & ratings wise if throw on 1st or 2nd down at the 1 or 2 yard line as a TD pass thrown on 3rd down at the 25. 

 

 

Yes, and No. Brady was notorious for his QB sneaks, which he did better than anyone else. Plus, if Brady played against an elite pass D like the Ravens or Chargers, the Patriots had the OL to play smash mouth. The 2007 year was an aberration, IMO. Even then, in the AFCCG, after throwing 3 picks to Cromartie and company, Belichick decided to go smash smouth with their OL to seal the deal with Laurence Maroney and company. He did do more play action passing to Gronk as a change up on 1st down after Gronk was in the league but if it was a D like the Cardinals yesterday where he could hand it off for 5 yards a pop, he would hand it off most of the time.

 

The Bucs however have far more weapons, and when he had just Edelman and Gronk and his RBs as his primary pass catchers, he naturally relied on his RBs more often by the goal line for the high percentages or his own QB sneak, IMO. With the Bucs, he feels there were more guys to win 1-on-1s like the Moss days, and Mike Evans last week.

 

To me, the most ridiculous stat is the shovel pass to a WR running laterally counting as a TD pass. It should count as a running play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I almost picked the Packers to win this game just because of Aaron. I knew it would be close. IMO by my eye sight and resume he is the 6th greatest QB ever to play only behind Tom, Joe, Peyton, Unitas, and Elway. One can make an argument for Graham but he played way back in the 40's/early 50's - not a ton of film on him but he does have the resume. Aaron is on his way to winning another MVP. Aaron can win even without top WR's that is what makes him special.

 

I predicted in here before the season GB would win the SB by beating the Bills - my AFC pick. He wants that 2nd SB, once he gets that my top 6 ranking is justified bigtime.

Manning, Montana, Marino, Brady, Young and Rodgers have been the best I've seen play.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Manning, Montana, Marino, Brady, Young and Rodgers have been the best I've seen play.  

I loved Steve Young because he could run too, he is right there in my top 10 and his resume is great. Marino just never won a SB but the guy was awesome, Marino is in my top 10. I have him at 10 actually.

 

I have:

1. Tom

2. Joe

3. Peyton

4. Unitas

5. Elway

6. Rodgers

7. Graham

8. Brees

9. Favre

10. Marino

-Steve Young is like 10b. :thmup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More hero ball from our own QB Wentz. When will QBs realize they have the option to stay patient especially if the opposition respects their arm to take check downs and move the ball? Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, all have been victims of their own success, and only Brady and Brees have I seen have the optimal balance of not trying to do too much in most situations. However, Peyton would have overridden Reich and run the ball, I can bet, that he would have done as an OC on the field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...