Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I trust Irsay!

Matabix

I trust Ballard and Polian, but...

Each have a football position they seem to draft better for. Each have there difficulties at some football positions also.

For instance Ballard is good at picking LB, Interior OL and DL, Big WRs and RBs. Polian is good at picking Tackles, DE, 2ndary, QBs, TEs and WRs. 

If Ballard could have a long sit down or invite Polian to the War Room. Might fix some of these holes. 

Polian drafted for the same defense but put emphasis on pass rush. Ballard says the key is the 3T DL. 

Just a thought, maybe Irsay could set that up without stepping on toes.

8 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Each have a football position they seem to draft better for. Each have there difficulties at some football positions also.

For instance Ballard is good at picking LB, Interior OL and DL, Big WRs and RBs. Polian is good at picking Tackles, DE, 2ndary, QBs, TEs and WRs. 

If Ballard could have a long sit down or invite Polian to the War Room. Might fix some of these holes. 

Polian drafted for the same defense but put emphasis on pass rush. Ballard says the key is the 3T DL. 

Nah polian doesn't need to be involved

12 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Outside of Peyton who did he draft at QB that was so good? Like Kerry Collins is his second best drafter QB. He wasnt GM at the time of Kelly with the Bills right?

59 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Outside of Peyton who did he draft at QB that was so good? Like Kerry Collins is his second best drafter QB. He wasnt GM at the time of Kelly with the Bills right?

He was GM that convinced Kelly to go to the Bills instead of the UFL.

43 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Kelly played for the Houston Gamblers, before the NFL. 

Yes it was Polian that convinced him to come to the Bills. Polian drafted him in 83. Kelly decided to go to the USFL. He came to the Bills in 86.

Sorry Bills not Polian drafted Kelly. Polian came to Bills in 85 and convinced Kelly to play.

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

You could also spin this as the second worst franchise QB he drafted was Kerry Collins.  When you have Jim Kelly, Kerry Collins, and Peyton Manning it’s not like you are drafting a lot of QBs “to be the guy”.  

23 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Yes it was Polian that convinced him to come to the Bills. Polian drafted him in 83. Kelly decided to go to the USFL. He came to the Bills in 86.

Sorry Bills not Polian drafted Kelly. Polian came to Bills in 85 and convinced Kelly to play.

Jim Kelly’s team also went away in 1985 and the league went out of business in 1986.  The Bills owned his NFL rights.  If he wanted to play he didn’t really have a choice.  I am a big Bill Polian fan and he should get credit for the studs he did draft he has a Hall of Fame resume on that alone.  He doesn’t need it stretched for Kelly.  

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If Irsay wanted Polian in the room he would be.  He trusts Ballard to do it on.

What I'm pointing out is that each GM has his preferences. What football positions Polian drafted well isn't Ballards strongest so far. What football positions Ballard drafted well wasn't Polian's strongest. Ballard would've never drafted Freeney and Mathis and maybe Wayne. Polian might not have drafted Leonard. 

See my point yet?

Still stings we didn't draft Landry cause of his measurables.

8 minutes ago, Matabix said:

What I'm pointing out is that each GM has his preferences. What football positions Polian drafted well isn't Ballards strongest so far. What football positions Ballard drafted well wasn't Polian's strongest. Ballard would've never drafted Freeney and Mathis and maybe Wayne. Polian might not have drafted Leonard. 

See my point yet?

Still stings we didn't draft Landry cause of his measurables.

I understand your point.  What I am telling you is if you say you trust Irsay and Irsay doesn’t think Ballard needs Polian’s help maybe you should trust Irsay’s judgement on that.  

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Did Polian bring in another GM? Has any GM brought in another GM? Sincerely....what is the point?

Exactly teams have one GM.  If you have two and they disagree who gets the final say?  Also if you don’t trust your GM to the point you feel like you need another one to help him draft then he probably shouldn’t be your GM to start with.

Polian had a vision of the type of team to build, and especially build around Manning and where to focus the resources.....and boy did he succeed. 

He seen which way the nfl game was going(passing) and knew he had the QB for it.

He added Wayne opposite of Marvin and quality slot receivers like Stokley. 

He wanted a playmaker TE and drafted and hit perfectly on Dallas Clark.

He valued a receiving RB over just a hard nose RB so he drafted James over Ricky Williams. I don't think Edge was quite the recieving back he thought he would be BUT certainly was better at it than Ricky Williams was and Edge was as good at running as anyone plus a great pass blocker to protect the franchise. And then later drafted a excellent recieving RB Addai when Edge retired. 

On defense knowing we would usually have the lead with his Star Wars offense, he concentrated on opposing teams abandoning the run and pass instead. So he wanted pass rushers and hit the jackpot on DE's Freeney & Mathis....the 2 best bookend rushers in the history of the nfl. 

He then drafted and hit big again on safety bob sanders. What a difference maker he was!

Knowing top cornerbacks/shut down corners command big bucks and wouldn't be able to afford  them he chose to allocate the resources on offense,  weapons around peyton and playmaking pass rushers to protect the lead.

The defense would be mostly soft zone because that's the type of defense he could afford to have to fit inside the cap.

He had a vision of the type of team he wanted and to build around Peyton and knowing where he would have to skimp on resources......and he was extremely successful getting his players he wanted.

Why is this a topic now?

The only reason is if you think Paye and Dayo are busts.   

I think Ballard is 1 out of 3 on his first DE picks.   I think Lewis is good.  A solid player.    I think Turay has been beset by injuries, so I don’t put that on Ballard.   I think Banogu is the one real miss.  

I don’t understand why anyone would conclude Ballard is not good at drafting DEs based on what we know and without knowing more about Kwity and Dayo?   

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why is this a topic now?

I think Ballard is 1 out of 3 on his first DE picks.   I think Lewis is good.  A solid player.    I think Turay has been beset by injuries, so I don’t put that on Ballard.   I think Banogu is the one real miss.  

I don’t understand why anyone would conclude Ballard is not good at drafting DEs based on what we know and without knowing more about Kwity and Dayo?   

Nobody knows about the new guys yet and 1 out of 3 is not exactly good. A lot would say Lewis hasn't  been great if you take the first 7 games of this season out and that would make it 0/3. I think its a pretty fair argument in a results oriented league

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Nobody knows about the new guys yet and 1 out of 3 is not exactly good. A lot would say Lewis hasn't exactly been great if you take the first 7 games of this season out and that would make it 0/3. I think its a pretty far argument in a results oriented league

That’s why you can’t throw out the first 7 games of this season.  They all count.  Your argument is ridiculous.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why is this a topic now?

Don't think they are busts. I think our pass rush is suffering from our lack of coverage in the secondary. We've all seen the games we got guys right there almost every snap. My point is Ballard has what he likes in DE. And it's not measurables like Freeney or Mathis, they would be to small. Most of us have seen it work. 

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Nobody knows about the new guys yet and 1 out of 3 is not exactly good. A lot would say Lewis hasn't  been great if you take the first 7 games of this season out and that would make it 0/3. I think its a pretty fair argument in a results oriented league

Lewis was improved last year.   That’s why he started this year.   That’s why we let both Houston and Autry leave.  

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Don't think they are busts. I think our pass rush is suffering from our lack of coverage in the secondary. We've all seen the games we got guys right there almost every snap. My point is Ballard has what he likes in DE. And it's not measurables like Freeney or Mathis, they would be to small. Most of us have seen it work. 

Sorry….  I don’t understand the response….

You don’t think Kwity and Dayo are busts but you’ve decided that Ballard is not good at drafting DEs based on his first three picks alone.   

So you think we need Polian to help Ballard even though Kwity and Dayo might turn into home runs.    That takes us back to the original question about why this is an issue now?    Feels like it’s an issue to be re- visited after next season when we know more about Paye and Odeyingbo.   The timing seems way off. 

That’s all I’m suggesting.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you trust Irsay and Irsay trusts Ballard to run the draft shouldn’t you trust Ballard then?

honestly the thread should've been over after this comment. what are we talking about here?

7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

and where did that get us? #32 in the league in every pass rush stat known

Lewis just one man.   We run a 4-man line.   By that logic, we can trade Buckner, he’s not doing much for us.   We can trade Paye, he’s not doing much for us.  

This is just a moment in time.   I’m curious where we will be by the end of the season.  
And how improved we will be next year.  

All I’m saying is that I believe Lewis is playing his way into an offer to remain with the Colts next year. 

9 hours ago, Matabix said:

Who is able to say that Ballard does not seek the advice of Polian from time to time?

If I was a GM I would be seeking advice from as many people with credibility as possible.

Irsay may be a little crazy but his heart is in the right place!  Love the Man!

Irsay is the guy who hired Ryan Grigson and told Colts fans to expect at least two championships within the next decade when they drafted Andrew Luck.

Irsay: Watched his franchise QB get murdered year in and year out and instead of eliminating the issues being Grigson and Pagano, he hands both guys extensions.

Irsay: Hired Ballard in 2017 and Reich in 2018. We're nearly halfway through the season and we're sitting at 3-4 and haven't won the AFC South since 2014.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You might want to check those stats

Just did

- Quarterback Hurries Colts have 12, thats #32 in the league.

- Quarterback Knockdows Colts have 15 tied with two other teams for #29 in the league

- Quarterback Sacks Colts have 14 tied with 3 other teams for #26 in the league

Equaling a grand total of 41 quarterback pressures which is by far the worst in the league #32, so yea not sure which stats your referring to but by all mean everyone says the quarterback pressures which is the total of the 3 above stats is the stat the affects the game the most.

Archived