Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does this team make any trades before deadline?

MikeCurtis

With a win last night, we are rounding out with a better chance to make the post season. (Maybe even 50/50)

Would you give up a 4th (or future 3rd) to get a safety (or other position) that could help the Colts finish the year?

I think we are in a desperate situation at Safety that could be an major problem for us

What say you?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Mack and 6th or 7th for a safety. Sick of seeing him in there when Taylor is averaging 6.5 yards per carry and Hines just got paid. 

Maybe this is a silly take but does any one else think its possible Ballard is telling Frank to include Mack to potentially showcase him for trade?

All RBs need a rhythm, something that does not come with 5 or 6 carries, more like 10-15 carries, IMO. So Mack will never be efficient like JT because of that and also, Mack is our best JT injury insurance. 

See if Vic Fangio is fired, or if the Broncos are willing to trade Kyle Fuller for a 6th rounder. If Stephon Gilmore fetched only a 6th, this should be doable.

Even if there were no injuries in the secondary, we will need to upgrade any of the positions (except maybe SS) next draft.  If we could trade for a long-ish term starting player by giving up our third round pick to a rebuilding team, that is probably the best option.

If not, we will be trading Mack for a backup FS that will probably not make the roster after we spend that third rounder on a rookie.

Or not.

So I'm covering all bases, like a good economist would.

I agree Mack is potentially a great trade chip. Obviously, the other team has to have a RB need and an available DB the Colts want. 
But playing Mack isn’t a bad thing whether or not they are showcasing him. He’s a solid runner who has the size and power that Hines lacks. And he gives the Colts a competent replacement for JT when he needs a break. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Even if there were no injuries in the secondary, we will need to upgrade any of the positions (except maybe SS) next draft.  If we could trade for a long-ish term starting player by giving up our third round pick to a rebuilding team, that is probably the best option.

If not, we will be trading Mack for a backup FS that will probably not make the roster after we spend that third rounder on a rookie.

Or not.

So I'm covering all bases, like a good economist would.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tracy-walker/51266

Tracy Walker III is your guy. Just like Quandre Diggs rotting on the Lions before joining a good Seahawks team, he is one of those young guys doing well on a bad rebuilding team. I would give a 4th round pick for him and I feel the Lions will gladly take it since he is in a contract year.

https://sidelionreport.com/2021/10/22/lions-tracy-walker-contract/

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Tracy Walker III is your guy. Just like Quandre Diggs rotting on the Lions before joining a good Seahawks team, he is one of those young guys doing well on a bad rebuilding team. I would give a 4th round pick for him and I feel the Lions will gladly take it since he is in a contract year.

I would make the trade if I were Ballard, but it seems like he is a good option for the Lions to rebuild with, only having to devote $13M of salary cap for a franchise tag.  Seems like DET would want more...maybe Mack and our 5th?

We could probably sign him or resign him for less annual cap hit.

Interesting that his play improved dramatically from moving from SS to FS.  That seems like a great fit for the Colts.

40 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

With a win last night, we are rounding out with a better chance to make the post season. (Maybe even 50/50)

Would you give up a 4th (or future 3rd) to get a safety (or other position) that could help the Colts finish the year?

I think we are in a desperate situation at Safety that could be an major problem for us

What say you?

I think at most, we will see Mack traded. Maybe for a DB?

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Walker seems to be a SS type verses the needed FS

I know Maye of the Jets has said that he wants to stay a Jet, but I would see what it would take to get him

PFF thinks highly of him, (Ranked 7th best in NFL)  and other writers list him as a player that should have made the Pro Bowl

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-rankings-the-32-best-safeties-entering-the-2021-nfl-season

We are going to have to address this at some point.......  IMHO, Blackmon is an average to below average player before injury.

I doubt we make a trade, but I would like this one for even a conditional 3rd.

Helps us now, where we have a truly gaping hole

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Walker seems to be a SS type verses the needed FS

I know Maye of the Jets has said that he wants to stay a Jet, but I would see what it would take to get him

PFF thinks highly of him, (Ranked 7th best in NFL)  and other writers list him as a player that should have made the Pro Bowl

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-rankings-the-32-best-safeties-entering-the-2021-nfl-season

We are going to have to address this at some point.......  IMHO, Blackmon is an average to below average player before injury.

I doubt we make a trade, but I would like this one for even a conditional 3rd.

Helps us now, where we have a truly gaping hole

Walker's better numbers came when he was shifted to FS. Key lines in the above article:

Shifting back to free safety this year has made a huge difference, after being used mostly in the box and matched up against tight ends in coverage previously–in line with a drop-off in his play

49 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Trade Mack and 6th or 7th for a safety. Sick of seeing him in there when Taylor is averaging 6.5 yards per carry and Hines just got paid. 

Maybe this is a silly take but does any one else think its possible Ballard is telling Frank to include Mack to potentially showcase him for trade?

I couldn’t agree more. I think mack took some momentum away from us last night. 

55 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

It would be nice to give Mack a chance to succeed somewhere else, and we could use a good safety.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Walker's better numbers came when he was shifted to FS. Key lines in the above article:

Shifting back to free safety this year has made a huge difference, after being used mostly in the box and matched up against tight ends in coverage previously–in line with a drop-off in his play

He looks like a good candidate as well

He is only 26

To me.... we dont have the needed FS on the roster for the end of this year, we will get picked apart if we DONT make a move

I don’t know if we could afford it, but I’d be trying to get a guy like Xavien Howard from the Dolphins.  We are a true lockdown corner from this team being a serious title contender this season.  Don’t know if he’s more of a press or zone guy but he’s a ball hawk.  A #1 like Howard with Moore, & Rock would go a long way to solidifying our secondary & giving our ends just a little more time to get home.  That’s a move a contender would make.  Are we contenders this year?

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

It might be difficult to find a single team that has an available FS, AND needs a RB

I think it might be 2 differnt deals

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t know if we could afford it, but I’d be trying to get a guy like Xavien Howard from the Dolphins.  We are a true lockdown corner from this team being a serious title contender this season.  Don’t know if he’s more of a press or zone guy but he’s a ball hawk.  A #1 like Howard with Moore, & Rock would go a long way to solidifying our secondary & giving our ends just a little more time to get home.  

I don't see this happening. Howard is making a ton of money, money that the Colts don't have right now. And he's got multiple years left on his deal. Gonna take A TON to get him. 

12 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t know if we could afford it, but I’d be trying to get a guy like Xavien Howard from the Dolphins.  We are a true lockdown corner from this team being a serious title contender this season.  Don’t know if he’s more of a press or zone guy but he’s a ball hawk.  A #1 like Howard with Moore, & Rock would go a long way to solidifying our secondary & giving our ends just a little more time to get home.  That’s a move a contender would make.  Are we contenders this year?

A lockdown corner would be awesome, but I think they would be wasted in this zone happy defense that the Colts play

Most of the lockdown corners, would seem to have play in a man to man schemed defense

As you mentioned, they are expensive

10 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I don't see this happening. Howard is making a ton of money, money that the Colts don't have right now. And he's got multiple years left on his deal. Gonna take A TON to get him. 

I figured he’d be too expensive. But I was thinking they’d probably like to get out of his contract and bring on Watson’s. So maybe they’d be willing to take a little less to just unload that long term deal?  

Don’t know if we could realistically absorb his contract this season or even in the future.  Just spitballing the kind of player I think could get us over the top.  A guy that could give our defense a boost like Fitzpatrick did for the Steelers a couple years ago. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

I figured he’d be too expensive. But I was thinking they’d probably like to get out of his contract and bring on Watson’s. So maybe they’d be willing to take a little less to just unload that long term contract?  Don’t know if we could realistically absorb his contract this season or even in the future.  Just spitballing the kind of player I think could get us over the top.  A guy that could give our defense a boost like Fitzpatrick did for the Steelers a couple years ago. 

He could be included in the deal to land Watson, not sure though. I would love to have him. Just not sure the money would ever be right for Indy.

I think Mack has very little value. He's a RB coming off an Achilles injury who has looked pretty pedestrian so far. But he also knows the Colts offense, so I think he has more value here in case something happens to Taylor.

He's not landing a starting FS...that's for sure.

I can see him trading Mack for a pick if he is unable to use him as part of a trade for a player.  I can see CB over safety.  I think they really like Blackmon and will stay with him as our FS.  I could see Ballard waiting until after the Titans game.  If we win I can see him bringing in a player to help with the playoff run.

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can see him trading Mack for a pick if he is unable to use him as part of a trade for a player.  I can see CB over safety.  I think they really like Blackmon and will stay with him as our FS.  I could see Ballard waiting until after the Titans game.  If we win I can see him bringing in a player to help with the playoff run.

I had very high hopes for Blackmon, but pre injury he was below middle of the pack

We are also allowing 70% of passes to be completed which will get us killed against quality QBs

Our lack of pass rush is the majority of the problem.... but .... our FS owns a chunk of this 

I was assuming they'd leave Mack in SF. The Chiefs and Ravens could use him. I don't think we'd get another player for him, not anyone worth talking about. I'd like to see them trade him, he's not coming back next year, and he probably won't get a big enough contract to bring back a comp pick.

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would take 2 of the 4s    :)

I was thinking more a 4 and 6, but don’t blame you for asking higher. There are several teams that need running backs, so that will also dictate the selling price. Other factors are the Ravens cap space, and if the Colts want to trade to another AFC team. 

4 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I was thinking more a 4 and 6, but don’t blame you for asking higher. There are several teams that need running backs, so that will also dictate the selling price. Other factors are the Ravens cap space, and if the Colts want to trade to another AFC team. 

I dont see them as trade partners

I think they would take a crazy pick(s) but would ask less for a player going to NFC or an AFC "cellar dweller"

Unlikely. 

We only got $2.3 million of salary cap relief.  At the time we redid TYHs deal the NFLPA said the Colts were dead last in available cap space.   Last!

We did the restructure to get money to make transactions that we do every week.   Every time we get a player injured so we have to bring up a player from the practice squad, that costs more salary.    These moves are for the last 10 weeks of the season.  

Doesn’t mean we can’t make a trade, but the salaries would have to be close.   So, maybe Mack for a cornerback?  

Archived