Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we "change formation" like in Euro/Non-NFL Football against the Cardinals? Discussing our secondary.

Frenchy789

Rushing practice squad corners into the 4th quarter against the Ravens is probably what cost us the game.

Even before the injuries, our secondary has never been what's made our defense a strong top 10/15 defense. Xavier Rhodes is by far the most reliable but he's not 24 anymore. Rock is incredibly inconsistent and drowned in flags (with the officials this year, my god OPI is being called on the defense!).  

A strong front 4 and ball-snatching linebackers are great against pocket-passers but against mobile quarterbacks they tire out quick and that leads to 4th quarter @Ravens: defensive collapse.

Murray is arguably more speedy and elusive than Lamar Jackson so getting to him quickly will be incredibly hard. 

Then the wide-outs, from best in league D. Hop, emerging Christian Kirk and clutch A.J Green, we will only have Xavier Rodes to even hope to compete with those guys. 

Blackmon being out for the season is a big hit but how did we let this happen so early?

I'm not a football expert so I'd like some help here: could we "change formations" like in Football proper? (French guy who lived in Westfield Indiana growing up, now lives in Atlanta, grew up with Manning.) 

Could we have 3 on the line and put a LB as a sort of hybrid QB spy, helps in the run defense to not get gashed? (The Cardinals have proved they have a very solid run game). We'll have to bend A LOT but not break and hopefully hold them to field goals, the longer the D stays on the field, the more exhaustion and injuries we'll have *if* we make the playoffs. 

Unless the Titans implode, our trip to the playoffs will require beating at least 1 of Tampa Bay, Cardinals and the Bills. This assumes we pull the W out from the Titans, then we can't drop a game. 

Now that we know Carson is legit, what if we benched him to keep our 1st pick (I know he needs more playing time but if he's the franchise QB it would help next year and beyond). Our trip to the playoffs is very, very hard and I don't see why keeping that 1st rounder would be worth it. 

We will have plenty of time to discuss the Cardinals when they come into town close to Christmas. Their squad could change with injuries as well, you never know. 

Right now, the Titans are all that matter to me. 4-2-5, 3-3-5, we will have plenty of time to discuss it then. We would have also had to cross the critical wild card competition with the Raiders and Patriots prior to the Cardinals, you are overlooking that as well. Like I said, 1 week at a time since SO MANY things can change in almost 2 months.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

We will have plenty of time to discuss the Cardinals when they come into town close to Christmas. Their squad could change with injuries as well, you never know. 

Right now, the Titans are all that matter to me. 4-2-5, 3-3-5, we will have plenty of time to discuss it then. We would have also had to cross the critical wild card competition with the Raiders and Patriots prior to the Cardinals, you are overlooking that as well. Like I said, 1 week at a time since SO MANY things can change in almost 2 months.

btw we play at AZ! Not a home game.

3 hours ago, Frenchy789 said:

Rushing practice squad corners into the 4th quarter against the Ravens is probably what cost us the game.

Even before the injuries, our secondary has never been what's made our defense a strong top 10/15 defense. Xavier Rhodes is by far the most reliable but he's not 24 anymore. Rock is incredibly inconsistent and drowned in flags (with the officials this year, my god OPI is being called on the defense!).  

A strong front 4 and ball-snatching linebackers are great against pocket-passers but against mobile quarterbacks they tire out quick and that leads to 4th quarter @Ravens: defensive collapse.

Murray is arguably more speedy and elusive than Lamar Jackson so getting to him quickly will be incredibly hard. 

Then the wide-outs, from best in league D. Hop, emerging Christian Kirk and clutch A.J Green, we will only have Xavier Rodes to even hope to compete with those guys. 

Blackmon being out for the season is a big hit but how did we let this happen so early?

I'm not a football expert so I'd like some help here: could we "change formations" like in Football proper? (French guy who lived in Westfield Indiana growing up, now lives in Atlanta, grew up with Manning.) 

Could we have 3 on the line and put a LB as a sort of hybrid QB spy, helps in the run defense to not get gashed? (The Cardinals have proved they have a very solid run game). We'll have to bend A LOT but not break and hopefully hold them to field goals, the longer the D stays on the field, the more exhaustion and injuries we'll have *if* we make the playoffs. 

Unless the Titans implode, our trip to the playoffs will require beating at least 1 of Tampa Bay, Cardinals and the Bills. This assumes we pull the W out from the Titans, then we can't drop a game. 

Now that we know Carson is legit, what if we benched him to keep our 1st pick (I know he needs more playing time but if he's the franchise QB it would help next year and beyond). Our trip to the playoffs is very, very hard and I don't see why keeping that 1st rounder would be worth it. 

How did “we let an injury happen so early in the season?”

I guess there’s a first for everything.  Never seen that question before. 

Archived