Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard proves he is the best linebacker in the NFL.

AKB

Just look at the stats. Fred didn't even sniff the production that Leonard had tonight. I think the conversation over who is better is closed. The only other backer that comes close is Devin White, and Leonard still out produces. 

Hes always been a turnover machine, but it looks this year he's been focusing on the technique behind getting these turnovers more since he is limited in how explosive he is due to his ankles.

Love what he's doing lately, but I think next year when he gets the surgery he obviously needs for his ankle he is gonna be even greater due to focusing on his technique. Its not like he hasn't been great his whole career though.

Leonard had 2 solo tackles.  Two and it was one of the first times all season he met a RB in a hole and made a tackle.  He is so overpaid it’s ridiculous.  He doesn’t tackle anyone, he doesn’t cover anyone but he will run around the field punching at the football. People overlook the rest because he does create some turnovers usually against bad teams.  I’m glad the Colts won but thank goodness for the weather. BTW, Buckner led the team in solos with 5.  He was the defender of the game. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Leonard had 2 solo tackles.  Two and it was one of the first times all season he met a RB in a hole and made a tackle.  He is so overpaid it’s ridiculous.  He doesn’t tackle anyone, he doesn’t cover anyone but he will run around the field punching at the football. People overlook the rest because he does create some turnovers usually against bad teams.  I’m glad the Colts won but thank goodness for the weather. BTW, Buckner led the team in solos with 5.  He was the defender of the game. 

What you define as a Lb job is laughable. #1 he’s not the traditional MLB. He is a weak side linebacker that patrols. His impact to the pass game is something that’s hard to measure. If your defense is playing the way it should then your linebackers should hardly ever make a solo tackle. They should be going up to assist the DL or out to help CB’s. He is easily one of the best LB we have ever had and his numbers show that he is also historically one of the better ones in the league. You can just say you don’t like the guy but you can’t discredit him with any sort of leg to stand on.

26 minutes ago, twfish said:

What you define as a Lb job is laughable. #1 he’s not the traditional MLB. He is a weak side linebacker that patrols. His impact to the pass game is something that’s hard to measure. If your defense is playing the way it should then your linebackers should hardly ever make a solo tackle. They should be going up to assist the DL or out to help CB’s. He is easily one of the best LB we have ever had and his numbers show that he is also historically one of the better ones in the league. You can just say you don’t like the guy but you can’t discredit him with any sort of leg to stand on.

He’s a playmaker but he’s overrated.  A weak side linebacker in a cover two should make way more tackles than Leonard does. They compared him to Brooks tonight.  Brooks made a lot more tackles. 

No doubt his ankle is slowing him down but his pass coverage numbers last year were toward the bottom of NFL linebackers.  He struggles mightily to she blockers. He disappears for long periods of time especially against good teams.  Honestly, I think the Colts should blitz him more and utilize what he does best.  

He has been incredible at self promotion.  Good player? Yes.  $20 million a year player and deserving first team all-pro?  No.  Sorry, I think it’s tough for Colts fans to look at things objectively.  He will pad his stats against the Jets and Jags.  Let’s see if he shows up against Tennessee next week.  He was nowhere to be seen last time against them.  I hope he shows up and has a monster game.  

47 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He’s a playmaker but he’s overrated.  A weak side linebacker in a cover two should make way more tackles than Leonard does. They compared him to Brooks tonight.  Brooks made a lot more tackles. 

No doubt his ankle is slowing him down but his pass coverage numbers last year were toward the bottom of NFL linebackers.  He struggles mightily to she blockers. He disappears for long periods of time especially against good teams.  Honestly, I think the Colts should blitz him more and utilize what he does best.  

He has been incredible at self promotion.  Good player? Yes.  $20 million a year player and deserving first team all-pro?  No.  Sorry, I think it’s tough for Colts fans to look at things objectively.  He will pad his stats against the Jets and Jags.  Let’s see if he shows up against Tennessee next week.  He was nowhere to be seen last time against them.  I hope he shows up and has a monster game.  

This isnt true at all.

Thru his first 4 years he has amassed 465 tackles, 12 FF,  9 INTs and 15 sacks.

He has 10 games left this year.

Derrick Brooks had 515 tackles, 9 FF,  4 INT and 2.5 sacks his first 4 full seasons. 

So all Darius needs is to average 6 tackles a games the rest of the season to surpass his totals, and has already surpassed his other totals.

This Darius Leonard hate is some of the most bizarre stuff Ive ever seen. 

15 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

This isnt true at all.

Thru his first 4 years he has amassed 465 tackles, 12 FF,  9 INTs and 15 sacks.

He has 10 games left this year.

Derrick Brooks had 515 tackles, 9 FF,  4 INT and 2.5 sacks his first 4 full seasons. 

So all Darius needs is to average 6 tackles a games the rest of the season to surpass his totals, and has already surpassed his other totals.

This Darius Leonard hate is some of the most bizarre stuff Ive ever seen. 

Some people just can’t admit they are wrong and would rather be right even if being right hurts the Colts.

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Seems like they expect perfection

That too Stephen that too.  People like to find a flaw and pretend that invalidates all the other good things and not only invalidates them it becomes THE most important thing.  The Colts once had a linebacker near the league lead in tackles.  Pat Anger.  Now who would you (and I mean generic you here) rather have Anger or Leonard?

The reality is, as ever, likely between the two polarised extremes that seem to get applied to Leonard. 

Let's start with this obsession about tackle numbers, it's a horribly bad stat to * a player because it provides absolutely zero context. For example if you're on a bad team where the D is on the field more, you're more likely to have tackle opportunities. Where the tackle was made is more interesting (TFLs/Yards gained pre-tackle). We can see from the numbers and the film that Leonard isn't too bad at getting penetration when the play calls for him to rush. 

Besides, what contributes to success more, tackles or turnovers. Sounds a stupid question I know, but giving up yard doesn't necessarily lead to losing, while losing the turnover battle tends to have more impact on win %:

We complained long and hard about not having a playmaker on Defense for many seasons, we now have one, and people complain he's too splashy? 

The pass coverage is more suspect, but odd. Because he was pretty good in his (2nd?) season, before dropping off. I don't know how much injury is impacting this year. I also don't know how much is down to the 'react and rally' type scheme that we seem to use. 

As for the money, that's just the way the NFL works, constant inflation of contract value, and the last guy who got paid will be overpaid until the next guy gets paid. We're not too far removed from the outcry and QBs going north of $20 million a year for some pretty average QBs, now that would be a steal for a legit starting QB (excluding rookies). 

He is what he is, a playmaker, a very very good player, a team leader,  but perhaps not the complete package (yet). 

As a relatively neutral observer, I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

He's not the all-World LB that his fanboys think he is. But he's better than Hawkeye 

gives him credit for.

Do you believe what you see or see what you believe....

2 hours ago, indykmj said:

As a relatively neutral observer, I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

He's not the all-World LB that his fanboys think he is. But he's better than Hawkeye 

gives him credit for.

Do you believe what you see or see what you believe....

He can’t be Superman and take care of other folks’ zones if they take a couple of bad steps. He’s very good at taking care of his zone first and generating turnovers when he can, which is far more difficult than folks give him credit for.

Bethea was a very good free safety who generated pass deflections and turnovers too but wasn’t the best at tackling RBs 1-on-1, but if he’s tackling FBs 1-on-1, 2 levels of D have already failed. Same with Leonard, 2 other LBs take a wrong step on a boot leg and so do the DL, he can only compensate so much. 

6 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Have you seen his first two seasons?  Whining about him not making tackles just sounds stupid if taking his whole body of work under examination

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

200.gif

His long arms traits certainly helps in the punching and batting of balls, but he is not the best LBer at doing traditional LBer-ing stuff.

A WILL should lead the team in tackles.  Now, if a 3T is leading the team that is a good thing for the defense, generally, but the D is set up with the understanding that Dlinemen don't make more solo tackles than WILLs.  He's supposed to be free to roam the field engaging the ball carrier no matter if the ball carrier is a RB, WR, or TE.  Obviously, if the play is away from him, he's not going to make the tackle.

And if he's nursing a (skinny lol) ankle, he's not going to roam as well.

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m just gonna say this. When Tony Dungy last night said that Leonard is the ONLY player in the league that makes him WANT to come out of retirement and coach again, that’s a HUGE level of praise. 

You know that there is some hyperbole in TV sports, making it more viewable.  They like to promote and talk about the stars on the teams, and tend to point out positivity.  Lots of nice graphics prepared to show the positives.   Its all good, its a show, in the end.

Collinsworth was talking up JT quite a bit more than what most of us think here too.  Good player, but CC was a little bit gushy about him.  And its no coincidence that JT was the prominent player in the pregame features and Carrie Underwood player-snipets....along with Leonard.  Part of the production of the show.

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You know that there is some hyperbole in TV sports, making it more viewable.  They like to promote and talk about the stars on the teams, and tend to point out positivity.  Lots of nice graphics prepared to show the positives.   Its all good, its a show, in the end.

Collinsworth was talking up JT quite a bit more than what most of us think here too.  Good player, but CC was a little bit gushy about him.  And its no coincidence that JT was the prominent player in the pregame features and Carrie Underwood player-snipets....along with Leonard.  Part of the production of the show.

All true. But when it’s backed up by the stats, I’m good with it.

ive never been the big fan boy of Leonard, he has his flaws, but what that other poster was claiming is a rather large exaggeration of the flaws Leonard has

If the dude's healthy (and apparently, even if less than healthy), he's one of the most impactful players on the field.  He can blitz, he can cover, and he can weave through traffic. to make the tackle along the sideline.  If he's not the best LB in football, I'd still probably pick him to put on my team.  Against the teams we've played this year, he's one of the reasons we've only allowed 21.3 points against this year (11th best).

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

The reality is, as ever, likely between the two polarised extremes that seem to get applied to Leonard. 

Let's start with this obsession about tackle numbers, it's a horribly bad stat to * a player because it provides absolutely zero context. For example if you're on a bad team where the D is on the field more, you're more likely to have tackle opportunities. Where the tackle was made is more interesting (TFLs/Yards gained pre-tackle). We can see from the numbers and the film that Leonard isn't too bad at getting penetration when the play calls for him to rush. 

Besides, what contributes to success more, tackles or turnovers. Sounds a stupid question I know, but giving up yard doesn't necessarily lead to losing, while losing the turnover battle tends to have more impact on win %:

We complained long and hard about not having a playmaker on Defense for many seasons, we now have one, and people complain he's too splashy? 

The pass coverage is more suspect, but odd. Because he was pretty good in his (2nd?) season, before dropping off. I don't know how much injury is impacting this year. I also don't know how much is down to the 'react and rally' type scheme that we seem to use. 

As for the money, that's just the way the NFL works, constant inflation of contract value, and the last guy who got paid will be overpaid until the next guy gets paid. We're not too far removed from the outcry and QBs going north of $20 million a year for some pretty average QBs, now that would be a steal for a legit starting QB (excluding rookies). 

He is what he is, a playmaker, a very very good player, a team leader,  but perhaps not the complete package (yet). 

I think scheme requires Leonard to spy and cover a zone simultaneously making much harder for him to be efficient in coverage...but what it allows Leonard to do with his speed make offenses play east to west instead of north to south creating Knockout ko turnovers. Kenny Moore has been real close to a few...

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

His long arms traits certainly helps in the punching and batting of balls, but he is not the best LBer at doing traditional LBer-ing stuff.

A WILL should lead the team in tackles.  Now, if a 3T is leading the team that is a good thing for the defense, generally, but the D is set up with the understanding that Dlinemen don't make more solo tackles than WILLs.  He's supposed to be free to roam the field engaging the ball carrier no matter if the ball carrier is a RB, WR, or TE.  Obviously, if the play is away from him, he's not going to make the tackle.

And if he's nursing a (skinny lol) ankle, he's not going to roam as well.

Not true, a MIKE or ILB typically leads the team in tackles. Pat Angerer racked up those tackles in our Curtis Painter 2011 year, so did Gary Brackett at MIKE. If you meant a WILL should lead the team in tackles compared to a DL, then yes. Like our 4-3 where there is 1 ILB, a 3-4 will have 2 ILBs who take turns and the gap responsibility of the DL also determines who gets the tackle and where they get it. 

14 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Clearly you weren't watching the game game. Leonard also prevented a two point conversation.  He also makes plays against everyone. He forced a turnover versus the Chiefs in the playoffs unfortunately the offense turned it back over.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

There is a lot MORE hyperbole on sportstalk message boards. Thats about all there is on here. 

People love to pretend they are objective when in reality they are just making snap judgements rooted in emotion and a desire to have a unique perspective.

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Clearly you weren't watching the game game. Leonard also prevented a two point conversation.  He also makes plays against everyone. He forced a turnover versus the Chiefs in the playoffs unfortunately the offense turned it back over.

He also saved the game against Tennessee last year with a goaline punchout and that was instrumental in us making the playoffs.

But he wants to see if he can make a big play against them next week? 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m just gonna say this. When Tony Dungy last night said that Leonard is the ONLY player in the league that makes him WANT to come out of retirement and coach again, that’s a HUGE level of praise. 

Wow, thanks for posting that!

I am still a Dungy fan and thanks again Coach, for that SB win :lombardi:(Coach Reich, hint hint)

I am also a big fan of Mr. Leonard.

All I can say is that Mr. Leonard has a great agent. So his bank account got bigger. Some say he is overrated or not worth

:cash:
Just keep playing for me because you will only get better:rock:

14 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Bless your heart...

Archived