Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at 49ers Post Game Thoughts (give us your 5-10 key takeaways)

EastStreet

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s nice to see MAC being used in this offense too. Wentz is using him the right way.

Yes, let’s remember Carson did miss pretty much all of camp so it was going to take him a little time to figure out how to use all his new toys.  Also, it took Frank a little while to figure out what works best for Carson.  Now we are seeing it and the offense is taking off.  30 points in the conditions tonight was impressive.  Let’s also remember they out scored the Colts when they scored 29 in a similar type of game in the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning and a pick six. Tonight all 30 came from the offense (although the D did set them up a couple of times.)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

these are some "creative" records lol...

single season career high (he's only in year 2 lol)... 

most in 7 games since 4 years ago (and TY been out a lot)

He's having a great year, but Conti is reaching here.. 

No, he’s not.   You missed it. 

Pittman played 13 games his first year.  He’s already surpassed his rookie marks in 7 games.   That’s not a reach on any level. 

1 minute ago, Boondoggle said:

Amazing what a couple wins can do for outlook.  Feels like a team that is coming together now.  Concerned about the defense but all teams have issues.

Going to be fun to find out how far this year's team can go.  

The injuries in the secondary are going to catch up to them if they don’t get some guys back soon.  It’s pretty clear Rhodes is just gutting it out and could be lost at any second and Willis has been banged up too.

7 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I just disagree on Dulin. Id rather have Coutee in there personally. I also feel like Frank could use Hines instead of him at times as well. Its not so much that I dont like him as I just would rather see other fuys in there.

I like both. Dulin except for screens which I don't like, is used in dirty work (clear outs and such), and as a possession guy. 

I like Coutee too. I just think Dulin would be more productive on slants than the routes he's given now then the stuff he's been given. Both guys are the same speed. Dulin has about 7 inch advantage on Coutee though (height plus vert). If I had my choice, I'd have Dulin taking slot reps, and Coutee playing motion Z.

And yeah Oke had some misses too. But Ive just noticed him playing with more decisiveness the last two weeks. Some negative plays will happen, but I can live with those if a guy can also get gets his own licks in once in awhile. I feel like he has done that the last two weeks and thats a major improvement. He looks a lot better to me. I can live with this kind of play. 

It'll be interesting to see his grades this week. I noticed more bad than good. He's had poor grades every game except for Miami and Houston IIRC.

Frank is another story, an enigma if you will, a mystery wrapped in a riddle lol

And hidden inside of a fortune cookie, baked inside a Mardi Gras King Cake... 

I wish he would just make the easy decision sometimes. Take the points Frank. Gamble when the payoff is worth it. Hes like a dude going all in at a Blackjack table with 17 cause he read somewhere the odds of winning with a 17 were around 58% lol 

I want to see more of Hines and Taylor on the field together.... Give Hines a few jet sweeps off a fake to Taylor.....give Taylor a few carries off that same action, every game. Make teams defend both guys on certain plays. Then throw Hines a wheel route off it once in awhile. We dont attack the middle of the field enough and this could be a way to open it up a little.

I could embrace that. Especially with PC and TY out. With either going motion into a route (not just wheel).

Hines was horrible tonight,  but I think thats because he is the type of player that presses when he isnt being productive. He needs to be engaged at all times. And hes been criminally underutilized at times.. So when he gets a chance to make a big play he is prone to a lapse in focus, like his big drop tonight. He was thinking about taking that to the house and took his eye off the ball. He was also hesitant tonight running the ball, because he wanta to hit a big play.

Hope he gets his head right for next week.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Since we escaped without any major injuries tonight the injury report should really start to look better next week. We should get Rock back which will help.

Some of the posts in here were comical when we were down 9-0, I was never worried even then but kept quiet. I have no idea why we didn't get the safety call when the SF player kicked it in the endzone and then got tackled out of bounds in the endzone. I have never seen a safety not get called when a player runs out of the back of the endzone. I have seen QB's do it and it was called a safety. Orlovsky did it one time.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The injuries in the secondary are going to catch up to them if they don’t get some guys back soon.  It’s pretty clear Rhodes is just gutting it out and could be lost at any second and Willis has been banged up too.

Offense is gonna have to carry things a bit yeah.  But it's a good offense.  Stranger things have happened and maybe you get one or two guys stepping up on the defensive side.

Reich's been steady too.  He's doing a good job with this team given how they started.  Looks like the offense needed to gel, happens.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly trying to work Mack into the game plan has hurt Hines.  He’s the one that’s lost snaps for it.  That and Taylor has just been so good it’s hard to take him out.  I will say Wentz had him for six tonight and he dropped it so hopefully that’s a sign of things to come, just with him catching it obviously.

I know most poo poo Mack, but he's got a better AVG/carry and AVG/game than Hines. He also has more big runs (not saying much because it's only 1 lol).

And Hines is still the 3rd most in targets, but JT still has more yards on less targets...

Folks gave me flack last year when I said JT would be just as good catching the ball. I got sad emojis lol....

So far....

Catches    Targets        Total Yards     AVG        TD

JT          18            21                   213           11.8         1

NH        16            24 (3rd most) 131             8.2         0

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some of the posts in here were comical when we were down 9-0, I was never worried even then but kept quiet. I have no idea why we didn't get the safety call when the SF player kicked it in the endzone and then got tackled of out of bounds in the endzone. I have never seen a safety not get called when a player runs out of the back of the endzone. I have seen QB's do it and it was called a safety. Orlovsky did it one time.

Frank said in the post game interview it was the right call because the ball was already headed there on its own and the kick didn’t make head in that direction.  Very strange quark in the rules and kinda impressive that someone even thought of a scenario like that before it ever happened even if you don’t agree with the rule.

1 minute ago, Boondoggle said:

Offense is gonna have to carry things a bit yeah.  But it's a good offense.  Stranger things have happened and maybe you get one or two guys stepping up on the defensive side.

Reich's been steady too.  He's doing a good job with this team given how they started.  Looks like the offense needed to gel, happens.

Hopefully Dayo has an immediate impact

2 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I think the defense is going to make plays it’s just going to be a lot more bend but don’t break and get turnovers than we would have liked.  The good news is that the banged up guys, except for Blackmon, should be back.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

That’s probably wishful thinking considering the injury he’s coming off of and all the time he’s missed plus just being a rookie going to the NFL.  However, stranger things have happened in the NFL.

True or maybe turay steps up lol

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, he’s not.   You missed it. 

Pittman played 13 games his first year.  He’s already surpassed his rookie marks in 7 games.   That’s not a reach on any level. 

Career record? in two years.... 

I missed nothing... 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

True or maybe turay steps up lol

I think the most likely scenario is that Paye continues to make progress.  Early in the year he was getting close but not making plays.  Tonight he made one.  That’s progress and he’s learning.  Also Mohammed is quietly having a very solid season.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frank said in the post game interview it was the right call because the ball was already headed there on its own and the kick didn’t make head in that direction.  Very strange quark in the rules and kinda impressive that someone even thought of a scenario like that before it ever happened even if you don’t agree with the rule.

Yeah weird rule, i automatically thought safety. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not a big fan of his but I was impressed that Collinsworth knew the rule so well that he was all over it as soon as it happened and before they brought the ex official in.  

Yeah I learn something new everyday. Collinsworth is smart, I don't care for his announcing but I have seen worse. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I learn something new everyday. Collinsworth is smart, I don't care for his announcing but I have seen worse. 

When he’s not drooling over Tom Brady he really is the best color analyst in the NFL.  However, when he drools over Brady he’s unwatchable.  Having the best play-by-play guy in the history of sports, IMO, to work with doesn’t hurt either.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he's the best analyst this side of Tony Romo. One of the few color guys that don't just repeat what you just saw. 

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Kinda like '18 with the old guy, started short passes and then built up after

So you thought it was a "Coutee Play"haha

He almost looks like #18 when he does his stretch plays. Stick that long arm out there like plastic man!

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One hand off Wentz made fooled me, it wouldn't even a hand off and was laughing about it on the sideline. It fooled the camera's and Collinsworth. 

The fake handoff where Cox scored was so good. But the one where he ran it in for a TD totally fooled me. I thought the back had it. So did the SF defense.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like him, I think he is smart. He has learned not to talk too much, he had a motor mouth his 1st year but has toned it down. 

I think he makes it about himself too much and I don’t know the way he gets so giddy at times just kinda rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Archived