Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inability to adjust on defense

BProland85

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

If that includes a major turnaround on defense, I'm fine with that.

We have seen this story before. It looks good for awhile then it always comes back down to reality. There is one exception I will make. When Dayo comes back if him and Paye start looking really good and the pass rush turns around then I could change my mind. The secondary  will look a ton better if that pass rush gets better. Quarterbacks have all day.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

It's a problem for me because, at a fundamental level, the defense isn't able to hold up against above average QBs. Not just this season, I was saying this to anyone who would listen last season (and it's part of why I didn't care about Autry/Houston leaving; they weren't difference makers that could help the defense get better).

So we either need to upgrade the personnel, dramatically, to play this scheme effectively -- and that includes edge rushers, corners, and at least another safety. Or we have to change the scheme. But we'd still need better players, IMO; our corners won't hold up in a different scheme, and our pass rush isn't good enough. There's some developing youth on the roster, but there's also youth on the roster that's not quite coming along. So they're going to have to kick something up a notch before 2022, because what we're doing on defense right now is not good enough.

This is one of the better posts this season about our defense in general. 

It has not held up well against playoff caliber QBs under the current regime. Throughout this regime, good QBs have seemed to be able to move the ball and score when they had to.  When the opposing QB needed to apply the gas, the D doesn't get the stop.

Some say that the problem rests mainly on the shoulders of the DC in-game decision making or game prep.  That is simply not seeing the whole picture, IMO.

• Like 3

i honestly believe its more of lack of execution than scheme or adjustments .  flus is non stop trying different things he goes to man back to zone  then blitzes .  the problem is the pass rush fails every time no matter what even on blitzes they are picked up . we need our guys to take a step lewis aqm and paye .

• Like 2

I think the reason this defense is the best choice to defend the modern NFL is because it takes less talent in the secondary to execute and takes less risk, which makes it more predictable. Talent in the secondary is hard to find and exoensive to keep. At its best, its more equipped to handle the more explosive offenses in the league, and the top tier QBs generally annihilate the blitz, which isnt a huge part of it.

But it takes certain things to be in place to be its most effective. And these are the areas we are struggling. Some is talent, some of it isnt.  

1. You MUST be great against the run. You CANNOT allow 6 yards on first down. You just cant. This defense isnt designed to defend 3rd and 3 or less. It works best if its 3rd and 7 or more. And we have so far this year, far too often, been in 3rd and short. Not sure why, but Im certain its not a talent issue, because it doesnt necessarily take top tier talent to be good against the run. We already have players who can do that, because we did it last year.

2. You MUST tackle well. You have to limit yards after contact. You have to swarm the football. We are up and down with this. Eaststreet has pointed out Okereke and his subpar tackling quite a few times. Hes got to be better at this. Our corners are kind of up and down as well. Isaiah Rodgers is a very poor tackler and has had to play a lot. 

3. You need a good pass rush with the front 4. THIS is an area we lack talent and it hurts us at times. Sure you can blitz and mitigate that somewhat, but its playing with fire and isnt gonna work against top QBs very often. It also only really works in long yardage situations. It MUST be rare, timely and well disguised. As long as it meets those criteria, Im ok with it. Its also been hard because we are short in the secondary and blitzing puts more pressure on the backend. We need to get healthy on defense. Then we can be more creative. 

Not enough guys winning 1 on 1 matchups.

So, I see a 3 prong approach to improving this defense as the season goes on.

1. Play more sound run defense. 

2. Tackle better. Everybody. 

3. Continue to develop our young pass rushers and do a better job dialing up a timely blitz once in awhile. This is the only area I have a problem with Eberflus. He needs to get a little more creative. He has tried a few zone blitz concepts, but the only 1 Ive seen work well was dropping Kwity into coverage.

If they can do these 3 things, I think people would be surprised at how good they can be. They force a lot of turnovers and thats major ingredient to playing great defense. And I truly believe its much easier to improve things like tackling and positioning and even pressure than it is to manufacture turnovers. The cupboard isnt completely bare. 

We need to get healthy, first and foremost. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i honestly believe its more of lack of execution than scheme or adjustments .  flus is non stop trying different things he goes to man back to zone  then blitzes .  the problem is the pass rush fails every time no matter what even on blitzes they are picked up . we need our guys to take a step lewis aqm and paye .

Right. There are some things you cant simply adjust to.

Someone brought up play action. The answer to play action is defending the run better, not some magical adjustment. You shut the run down and teams dont even run it because its not a threat anymore. 

Its hard to coach defense when you arent defending the run, arent tackling well and not generating pass rush. Whether or not thats his fault is debatable. 

18 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Right. There are some things you cant simply adjust to.

Someone brought up play action. The answer to play action is defending the run better, not some magical adjustment. You shut the run down and teams dont even run it because its not a threat anymore. 

Its hard to coach defense when you arent defending the run, arent tackling well and not generating pass rush. Whether or not thats his fault is debatable. 

People don’t get it even when flus calls the right play without pass rush the QBs just sit on the pocket and coverage gets beat . Against the Seahawks flus would call cover 3 and still get torched on home run balls . On blitzes they get picked up and leaves guys one on one . Without execution we could have the greatest coach ever and the defense will get torched .

• Like 3

The main component the Colts lack on defense is an "eraser" safety and a stub MLB.  Put Bob Sanders and Gary Bracket (of Jeff Herrod for us older guys) and this defense would be impressive.

I expect Ballard to address these positions in the upcoming offseason.

Joseph 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cjrichard said:

The main component the Colts lack on defense is an "eraser" safety and a stub MLB.  Put Bob Sanders and Gary Bracket (of Jeff Herrod for us older guys) and this defense would be impressive.

Joseph 

I would REALLY like to aspire to have a MLB better than Brackett

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Joseph 

Would you mind defining stub. I think I know what you mean, but don't want to assume before I respond.

On 10/26/2021 at 2:32 PM, coming on strong said:

People don’t get it even when flus calls the right play without pass rush the QBs just sit on the pocket and coverage gets beat . Against the Seahawks flus would call cover 3 and still get torched on home run balls . On blitzes they get picked up and leaves guys one on one . Without execution we could have the greatest coach ever and the defense will get torched .

Not so sure we were in C3 when we got torched. 

Vs Seattle, Khari gave up two TDs both looked to be cover 2 but I could be wrong. Moore and Leonard gave up the other two, and though Moore's was in C2 as well. It's a bit foggy now, so Moore might have been in C3 and playing outside corner (I think Rhodes was out). 

14 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Sorry was meant to say stud.  Autocorrect.... geeez

Joseph

Sorry, thanks. lol. I've had to edit because of AC a decent amount. Even when you abbreviate some things.... If you abbreviate B Smith it turns into "nonsense".... 

But back on topic. Not sure if you need a top 10 MIKE. I really liked the time share of Walker and Oke. Maybe "really" is too strong, but it was a good combo year 1. Walker was a stud vs the run, and Oke did good spelling the pass. Now we're doing mediocre in both. Sometimes it takes a group effort. Walker is doing pretty good now.

3 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Brackett was 5'11" and 235#.  I think using stub was quite appropriate.

Maybe so but could tackle and cover the middle of the field.  I requirement for the cover -2 defense.  Having a guy that can do that would dramatically improve the defense.  I was a huge Jeff Herrod fan as well.

Joseph  

14 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Maybe so but could tackle and cover the middle of the field.  I requirement for the cover -2 defense.  Having a guy that can do that would dramatically improve the defense.  I was a huge Jeff Herrod fan as well.

Joseph  

Brackett was a stud LB who was built like a stub.  What impressed me was the incredible athleticism for his build.  One of the best defensive plays I've ever seen was the pick against Brady in 2007 that Brackett tipped to himself and proceeded to have a nice return through heavy traffic.   

On 10/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, NewColtsFan said:

How is it you decided to post this AFTER one of our better defensive efforts?    Maybe you can arrange a meeting with Flus so you can explain things to him? 

Why are you so snarky, when ppl question things? Lots of other people here are able to disagree without coming off that way

39 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Brackett was a stud LB who was built like a stub.  What impressed me was the incredible athleticism for his build.  One of the best defensive plays I've ever seen was the pick against Brady in 2007 that Brackett tipped to himself and proceeded to have a nice return through heavy traffic.   

Brackett was an oversized safety. He was great in coverage but other than that I remember him being maybe a decent, but not great, tackler and a liability against the run. 

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

Brackett was an oversized safety. He was great in coverage but other than that I remember him being maybe a decent, but not great, tackler and a liability against the run. 

Kinda a bit before his time in that he'd make a good tweener which is much more in vogue these days.

I'm a fan of schemes using in effect 3 safeties with one being such a player. 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:59 PM, Superman said:

I'm not calling for heads. You know I don't do that. But I've been pretty fed up with Eberflus this season.

And while I think Irsay's tweet about multiple rings this decade was kind of awkward, the timing of it -- plus his comments about how important the opener is, and other things -- make me think he's putting a little pressure on Ballard to step it up. I don't think Irsay is a meddler, but I do think he'll make his feelings clear to his guys. So him making that comment after the Ravens game was interesting, to me.

Ultimately, I don't care what they do, but they have to do something before 2022. Relying on young players who aren't contributing, and all these injuries, and then getting dominated by every good QB we face... it's not gonna work.

There surely is more pressure given the draft capital investment (including trading for Buckner). If you still find you can't get pressure that's pretty telling.

Not saying you should be at a point of your Dline is so stud you only ever need to rush 4, but if you only can ever get pressure by sending by more...

Going back to your your previous post, IIRC the last time the D looked half decent was Pagano/Vontae and we had a decent sack total one season. BUT it was 'inside out' as in we were playing lots of man and getting coverage sacks from less talent up front.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, Wentzszn said:

It works nice but  you really can’t do that every play. Eventually a defense will figure it out.

Yeah, you just stay home, and with misdirection, you usually lose a blocker or two by going in the opposite direction.  So if you run misdirection on a defense just sitting there, you are at a disadvantage.  Otherwise, everyone would run misdirection on every play. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I am not saying the defense is playing great.  I am mostly echoing what the guy I quoted said and you said.  The biggest issue with the Colts defense is the front four isn’t getting to the QB.  That’s what has to be fixed.  If you start blitzing nonstop to make it happen you are going to expose an already really beat up secondary which will probably lead to more break downs.  The front four has to win in order for this defense to work.

That's most of the problem.  I have said for a couple of years now that we lack personnel to be all that deceptive because we don't generate any pass rush and we don't have ANY excellent cover LBs or DBs.  NONE.  NOT ONE is excellent in coverage to the point where you want to take too many chances with them in iso coverage.  So blitzing is more risky for this team than most teams.  

It is very frustrating to watch what so many call "soft" zone, but most teams do it.  Last night the Pack/Cards game was mostly two high "soft" zone coverage with few blitzes.  Mostly front four is being relied on for pressure.  You can't be too risky v. Cards because Kyler will burn your tookas with the feet.  Blitzing the greats like Manning and Rodgers and Brady etc. is usually a recipe for disaster.  The idea of what many posters here call "soft" zone is to concede yards between the 20s when necessary, but the zone necessarily becomes less "soft" by the goal line because the field is now compacted and the 2 high safeties are now more involved in the running game because they are closer to the LOS and the LBs are less "soft" for the same reason.  I mean it's no fun to watch when the front four isn't getting home and I personally grew up on the Bears 46, but we don't have the kind of players the Bears had.  "Soft" zone generally keeps teams in the game that would otherwise be giving up big play after big play.

I'd love to see us be able to be more aggressive, but I think people would get tired very quickly of seeing us give up chunk plays with inadequate coverage and inadequate pass rush.  So yeah, we'd get more sacks but we'd also give up more long plays.  We don't have a single high safety on the roster.  We don't have a cover LB on the roster.  

Even Paye looks really good, the jury is still out as to whether or not he will be a consistent sacker of the QB.  I'll believe it when I see it.  If he and Dayo don't help this DLINE become better at pass rush, then this D is going to be doomed to perpetual mediocrity or worse.  

We lack personnel to be very creative on D.

I was watching Peyton and Eli with Tom Brady on Monday Night and they all said unanimously that they preferred playing against teams that mix it up  rather than teams that played vanilla really well within their base Ds with excellent personnel.  They said it was awful to play Tampa back in the day and they rarely did anything different.  They mentioned SEA basically stayed in a 3 shell the whole time. 

So I understand the frustration watching our D get picked apart like it has so often over the years, but I think people look for schematic solutions when the solutions are usually personnel dependent. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Why are you so snarky, when ppl question things? Lots of other people here are able to disagree without coming off that way

I’d hate to be accused of answering a question about being snarky by giving another snarky response…..    but…. 

You’re not accusing me of being the only poster who gets snarky are you?    Because I read lots of snarky posts that aren’t from me. I think there are plenty of snarky posts made by plenty of other posters.   On internet fan message boards snark is pretty much par for the course.   it’s not hard to find snark in this website.   I’m sorry you somehow find my snark more objectionable. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

That's most of the problem.  I have said for a couple of years now that we lack personnel to be all that deceptive because we don't generate any pass rush and we don't have ANY excellent cover LBs or DBs.  NONE.  NOT ONE is excellent in coverage to the point where you want to take too many chances with them in iso coverage.  So blitzing is more risky for this team than most teams.  

It is very frustrating to watch what so many call "soft" zone, but most teams do it.  Last night the Pack/Cards game was mostly two high "soft" zone coverage with few blitzes.  Mostly front four is being relied on for pressure.  You can't be too risky v. Cards because Kyler will burn your tookas with the feet.  Blitzing the greats like Manning and Rodgers and Brady etc. is usually a recipe for disaster.  The idea of what many posters here call "soft" zone is to concede yards between the 20s when necessary, but the zone necessarily becomes less "soft" by the goal line because the field is now compacted and the 2 high safeties are now more involved in the running game because they are closer to the LOS and the LBs are less "soft" for the same reason.  I mean it's no fun to watch when the front four isn't getting home and I personally grew up on the Bears 46, but we don't have the kind of players the Bears had.  "Soft" zone generally keeps teams in the game that would otherwise be giving up big play after big play.

I'd love to see us be able to be more aggressive, but I think people would get tired very quickly of seeing us give up chunk plays with inadequate coverage and inadequate pass rush.  So yeah, we'd get more sacks but we'd also give up more long plays.  We don't have a single high safety on the roster.  We don't have a cover LB on the roster.  

Even Paye looks really good, the jury is still out as to whether or not he will be a consistent sacker of the QB.  I'll believe it when I see it.  If he and Dayo don't help this DLINE become better at pass rush, then this D is going to be doomed to perpetual mediocrity or worse.  

We lack personnel to be very creative on D.

I was watching Peyton and Eli with Tom Brady on Monday Night and they all said unanimously that they preferred playing against teams that mix it up  rather than teams that played vanilla really well within their base Ds with excellent personnel.  They said it was awful to play Tampa back in the day and they rarely did anything different.  They mentioned SEA basically stayed in a 3 shell the whole time. 

So I understand the frustration watching our D get picked apart like it has so often over the years, but I think people look for schematic solutions when the solutions are usually personnel dependent. 

What are you confused about NC?

I really think Eberflus is gone after the end of the season if we don’t make the playoffs. You watch good teams and they always scout the quarterback and the running back. One linebacker is assigned to that task and it seems like we’re always out of position and over pursuing. That’s completely on our defensive coordinator and I can’t believe Reich hasn’t chewed him out about it 

• Sad 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:51 AM, cjrichard said:

Joseph 

Walker was a undervalued in the run D... and we do lack a ball hawk safety...Willis Sandejo Blackmon all tackle well, play the run well, but lack that deep shutdown presense... this Defense needs that to succeed...

On 10/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, indyagent17 said:

I really think Eberflus is gone after the end of the season if we don’t make the playoffs. You watch good teams and they always scout the quarterback and the running back. One linebacker is assigned to that task and it seems like we’re always out of position and over pursuing. That’s completely on our defensive coordinator and I can’t believe Reich hasn’t chewed him out about it 

Believe what you want…

But I believe Reich doesn’t chew out anyone.   Not a coach, not a player.   That’s not his way.   Doesn’t mean he doesn’t express his unhappiness — I’m sure he does.  You can’t be a head coach if you can’t tell people about problems that need correcting.  He treats people with the highest respect.   But I don’t think chewing out is part of Frank’s process.