Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can people stop suggesting we sit Wentz

CanuckColtsFan

I see it on the board far too often. "Oh the season is lost. We should sit Wentz late in the season to save our first rounder".

First off, this is insanely unprofessional. Second, what terrible message to a team full of guys working their tails off. Third, we will never be able to use conditional picks in trades again.  Forth, generating game chemistry between Wentz and the team is important.  

Fifth, NO, just no.

I agree as well, that's living in fantasy land. If he's healthy he plays whether we're 15-2 or 2-15. 

It's football, you play if you're healthy.

If we're a train wreck in general that's an indictment on Ballard and Reich.

1 minute ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I see it on the board far too often. "Oh the season is lost. We should sit Wentz late in the season to save our first rounder".

First off, this is insanely unprofessional. Second, what terrible message to a team full of guys working their tails off. Third, we will never be able to use conditional picks in trades again.  Forth, generating game chemistry between Wentz and the team is important.  

Fifth, NO, just no.

ineedthisforreactions GIF

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, not going to happen. Not if we ever want a "conditional" pick type arrangement ever again....

Won't be shocked though if he's injured later in the year, and he needs a clean up surgery lol... 

the irony is that Wentz has actually played well enough to be worth what Ballard gave up--it's some of Ballard's earlier moves/picks that look like they've come back to haunt him

1 minute ago, poilucelt said:

the irony is that Wentz has actually played well enough to be worth what Ballard gave up--it's some of Ballard's earlier moves/picks that look like they've come back to haunt him

Yup. Too early to really judge Wentz, but he's been much more than adequate the first 6 games. And it's logical to expect him to get even better.

All the early consternation should have dissipated for most. He's played through injury and been a tough SOB, not turned the ball over, and has kept us close in losses despite our OL and defensive woes.

And yes, long list of things, like lack of production from big FAs, and either failure to develop or regression from some of the draft picks.

8 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He could very well be worth the 1st round pick and anyway the AFC wildcard spots are looking to be open for the taking. After the Ravens Bills and Titans it seems pretty muddled

We have six 2-loss teams right now, so I'd say it's more than Ravens/Bills/Titans. 

And you have some good teams like KC with more losses, that will likely get it together.

Very likely the AFCW and AFCN will both get 2 spots, leaving one.. Either could even get 3.

Got to win the next two games. Technically we don't (at the moment), but we're in a major deep hole if we don't.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We have six 2-loss teams right now, so I'd say it's more than Ravens/Bills/Titans. 

And you have some good teams like KC with more losses, that will likely get it together.

Very likely the AFCW and AFCN will both get 2 spots, leaving one.. Either could even get 3.

Got to win the next two games. Technically we don't (at the moment), but we're in a major deep hole if we don't.

I think we can all agree the Chargers, Bengals and Raiders may or may not be for real. They will have to prove their playoff teams before we crown them. It appears stronger than it is.

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He could very well be worth the 1st round pick and anyway the AFC wildcard spots are looking to be open for the taking. After the Ravens Bills and Titans it seems pretty muddled

The Bengals and Ravens both look like playoff teams.  I think the East will just be the Bills.  The Titans look strong in the South.  The west will probably be won by KC or the Chargers with the other going to playoffs.  

So I think the final wild card team comes down to the Colts, Raiders or the Browns (if they can be health).  I’ll say New England or Pittsburgh could be a dark horse.

4 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I was iffy on Wentz but he has shown he can play good football in our system . IMO well worth that 1st if he stays healthy . 

There is no question the Colts got a steal on Wentz based on returns so far.  Still I think what bothers people right now is that it would be a top 10 pick going to the Eagles.  I do think that pick is going to slide back to a later pick before the season is over.  If that’s the case I think you’ll see people being less upset about it.  Still it’s only natural for people to want their cake and eat it too, so they want a good QB and to keep the first round pick.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Bengals and Ravens both look like playoff teams.  I think the East will just be the Bills.  The Titans look strong in the South.  The west will probably be won by KC or the Chargers with the other going to playoffs.  

So I think the final wild card team comes down to the Colts, Raiders or the Browns (if they can be health).  I’ll say New England or Pittsburgh could be a dark horse.

Sounds about right. I could see the Bengals and Chargers falling off with young rosters just learning how to win.

If we get knocked out of play off contention I feel like we'd be dumb not to sit him.

At the point we basically have the choice of keeping a high 1st round pick or not and I can't see any reason at all to give it up.

If we go with the consensus on here and forego the 1st round pick I really hope we don't miss out on a player who could really help the franchise long term. It could do down as a historically bad decision.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think we can all agree the Chargers, Bengals and Raiders may or may not be for real. They will have to prove their playoff teams before we crown them. It appears stronger than it is.

Here's the current playoff race stack (based on record and tie breakers from ESPN), and my comments....

1. 5-2 Bengals - sure, they're the Bengals... but they've been getting better, and closer each year. Not crowning them, or saying they'll have the #1 spot at the end of the season, but they totally destroyed the Ravens in Baltimore, beat Pitt on the road, destroyed Detroit (who is keeping it close with LAR right now) on the road, and their 2 losses were both by 3pts each. Yes they're the Bengals, but they are not the old Bengals. Could they collapse, sure, but hey have 2 road wins over division foes, and stand a good take total control over the division in two weeks playing the Browns at home.
  2. 5-2 Titans - Winning the last two weeks should wake people up.... we need to win tonight and beat them next week. If we don't, Titan's will take control over the division. 
  3. 5-2 Chargers - has wins over both division foes (Raiders and KC). Their O will keep them in the race and their schedule is not tough. 
  4. 4-2 Ravens - only two really tough games remaining on their schedule (GB and LAR) aside from a division foes. Their offense will keep them in the mix. It didn't today but I don't expect that to last vs a lot of their future foes. I expect them to take the next two games vs MN and Miami....
  5. 4-2 Bills - They are good.. not sure I need to say a lot here. It would be a huge surprise if they didn't win their division.
  6. 4-2 Raiders (but will be 5-2 if things hold) - everyone expected them to fold up the tent after Gruden. Instead, they've come together and won a scrappy game last week and should win easily today. Their schedule is not easy, but they're a solid team and playing with a chip.
  7. 4-3 Browns - injured and beat up, but they have some great pieces. They'll be in the conversation if Mayfield isn't out long term. 
  8. 3-3 Steelers - fading, but they are the Steelers, so won't count them out. I like our chances over them.
  9. 3-4 Patriots - Some close losses, but they are solid despite the record. 8 total points separated them from TB and Dallas. I like them ending up around 9-8 or 8-9. Our game late season could be pivotal.
  10. 3-4 Chiefs - tough schedule ahead, but not counting them out.
  11. 3-4 Broncos - another injured and beat up team. Won 3 in a row, then lost 4 in a row. I think they'll fade....
  12. 2-4 Colts...... 

11 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

If we get knocked out of play off contention I feel like we'd be dumb not to sit him.

At the point we basically have the choice of keeping a high 1st round pick or not and I can't see any reason at all to give it up.

If we go with the consensus on here and forego the 1st round pick I really hope we don't miss out on a player who could really help the franchise long term. It could do down as a historically bad decision.

If it ends up a top ten pick that could change the future of this team so much.  

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's the current playoff race stack (based on record and tie breakers from ESPN), and my comments....

1. 5-2 Bengals - sure, they're the Bengals... but they've been getting better, and closer each year. Not crowning them, or saying they'll have the #1 spot at the end of the season, but they totally destroyed the Ravens in Baltimore, beat Pitt on the road, destroyed Detroit (who is keeping it close with LAR right now) on the road, and their 2 losses were both by 3pts each. Yes they're the Bengals, but they are not the old Bengals. Could they collapse, sure, but hey have 2 road wins over division foes, and stand a good take total control over the division in two weeks playing the Browns at home.
  2. 5-2 Titans - Winning the last two weeks should wake people up.... we need to win tonight and beat them next week. If we don't, Titan's will take control over the division. 
  3. 5-2 Chargers - has wins over both division foes (Raiders and KC). Their O will keep them in the race and their schedule is not tough. 
  4. 4-2 Ravens - only two really tough games remaining on their schedule (GB and LAR) aside from a division foes. Their offense will keep them in the mix. It didn't today but I don't expect that to last vs a lot of their future foes. I expect them to take the next two games vs MN and Miami....
  5. 4-2 Bills - They are good.. not sure I need to say a lot here. It would be a huge surprise if they didn't win their division.
  6. 4-2 Raiders (but will be 5-2 if things hold) - everyone expected them to fold up the tent after Gruden. Instead, they've come together and won a scrappy game last week and should win easily today. Their schedule is not easy, but they're a solid team and playing with a chip.
  7. 4-3 Browns - injured and beat up, but they have some great pieces. They'll be in the conversation if Mayfield isn't out long term. 
  8. 3-3 Steelers - fading, but they are the Steelers, so won't count them out. I like our chances over them.
  9. 3-4 Patriots - Some close losses, but they are solid despite the record. 8 total points separated them from TB and Dallas. I like them ending up around 9-8 or 8-9. Our game late season could be pivotal.
  10. 3-4 Chiefs - tough schedule ahead, but not counting them out.
  11. 3-4 Broncos - another injured and beat up team. Won 3 in a row, then lost 4 in a row. I think they'll fade....
  12. 2-4 Colts...... 

I think we could easily be in the thick of it with all those teams at the bottom of your list. Chargers and Bengals could fall as well, they are not proven winners yet over the course of a full season. Frank and this team seem to finish strong.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

I think we could easily be in the thick of it with all those teams at the bottom of your list. Chargers and Bengals could fall as well, they are not proven winners yet over the course of a full season. Frank and this team seem to finish strong.

Sure, but we need to win the next two games to be really in the conversation. 

Win one of the two, and we're likely fighting a bunch of teams for the 7th spot and relying on other teams to lose down the stretch... And our odds (history) are about 7%.

Lose both and the division is all but out of grasp, and the the odds of the playoffs drop to 0% based on NFL history... 

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Fifth, NO, just no.

Good thing the posters aren't professionals?

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If it ends up a top ten pick that could change the future of this team so much.  

Ballard will have several courses of action without that first Rd pick in 2022. 

Free Agency for one, and I’ll think he’ll be more active in 2022. Don’t be surprised!

The most important thing, is the Colts won’t be playing musical chairs at QB for the next couple seasons, if Wentz continues his strong play. I believe he’s going to get better. 

Seriously doubt the Colts are picking top 5, so better to get a proven veteran with that first,  then potentially draft a dud. Who looks like the better deal, Bunkner or Kinlaw? 

40 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Benching Wentz to keep a pick would go down in history as a very slimy move.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

I wonder who we are going to pick in 2nd round that will have an immediate impact

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sure, but we need to win the next two games to be really in the conversation. 

Win one of the two, and we're likely fighting a bunch of teams for the 7th spot and relying on other teams to lose down the stretch... And our odds (history) are about 7%.

Lose both and the division is all but out of grasp, and the the odds of the playoffs drop to 0% based on NFL history... 

Yea I admit if we lose tonight things are looking bleak because im not sure we beat the Titans next week the way their playing

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yea I admit if we lose tonight things are looking bleak because im not sure we beat the Titans next week the way their playing

I think we are absolutely capable of winning both games. 

Just not sure if we're capable of not stepping on our own ducks.....

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Fifth, NO, just no.

Yeah, no

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, not going to happen. Not if we ever want a "conditional" pick type arrangement ever again....

Won't be shocked though if he's injured later in the year, and he needs a clean up surgery lol... 

Sitting Wentz if the season is over doesn’t prevent us from engaging in a trade involving a conditional pick.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No other team would ever give us conditional terms if we purposefully sat Wentz. 

Sure they would. The point of using a conditional term is based on risk v reward. The team trading away the player is counting on the likelihood of you needing to meet the thresholds for the higher pick. It’s not about honor, it’s about probability. 

5 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

Sure they would. The point of using a conditional term is based on risk v reward. The team trading away the player is counting on the likelihood of you needing to meet the thresholds for the higher pick. It’s not about honor, it’s about probability. 

It's absolutely about honor and trust. 

Colts would lose trust.

Archived