Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IF we lose against SF, are playoffs out of the picture?

Frenchy789

We knew the start would be brutal and we're a blocked FG from 2-3. 

We've got the Cards, Tompa Bay, Bills and Titans left to play and we need to win at least 1-2 of those AND beat all the other beatable teams. 

Now if we lose to the Niners, 1-5 with the Titans coming up and a banged up injured to hell'n'back defense. 

Should we just accept the season is lost and try and save our 1st round pick? 

7 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

We've got the Cards, Tompa Bay, Bills and Titans left to play and we need to win at least 1-2 of those AND beat all the other beatable teams. 

Now if we lose to the Niners, 1-5 with the Titans coming up and a banged up injured to hell'n'back defense. 

We'd be 2-5 and would had to go 9-0 second half or 8-1 while hoping Steelers,broncos, raiders lose for a chance at last wildcard

17 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

We are a blocked FG from 3 -3... but whos counting..lol

Not totally. Next week against the Titans is probably bigger. Because they have Rams and Saints after that too. Bur winning Sunday night and KC beating Titans sets us up nicely. If we can win these next two we have two easy teams after that and Titans have two tough games. We need to be tied after this Titans and SF game. That sets us up very well the two weeks after. 

17 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He or she is just saying we should of won which I agree...he or she is just confused on our record if we would have won. Ha

Yeah I know.....but wouldn't it be something if blocked kicks, tough beats etc.... were part of the already complex tie breaking rules. :woah:

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

We're 2-4. The whole premise of your post is incorrect.

I had a brain fart there as I was trying to do the mental math of the AFC playoff race and the new 17 game + extra Wildcard spot. I made a mistake. 

But just for arguments sake, at what point are we totally out of the playoff race? 

Wentz is still young for a QB and he did show MVP-level talent. But is he our QB for the next 5 years? Since Luck, we've been through QB after QB with 0 stability other than Ol' Uncle Rivers (much respect to him btw). 

The Colts aren't a poverty franchise. Since 2000, we were a regular playoff team. It helps that Houston is on fire and everyone is just watching them burn and the Jags haven't done anything since that ONE season. 

How long will they hold on to Trevor Laurence? 

I honestly think the playoffs are a long shot as it is. I’m just watching to see improvement from certain players and schemes.  I get anything is possible but I’m not holding my breath with this coaching staff.  They are the difference between us being 4-2 instead of 2-4. We should have won the Rams and Ravens games.  Reich and company will cost us a couple more while the Bucs, Bills and Cardinals games will probably be losses. I really hope they are in contention bc I just bought tickets to the Raiders game in January. I guess we will find out. 

16 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

I had a brain fart there as I was trying to do the mental math of the AFC playoff race and the new 17 game + extra Wildcard spot. I made a mistake. 

But just for arguments sake, at what point are we totally out of the playoff race? 

Wentz is still young for a QB and he did show MVP-level talent. But is he our QB for the next 5 years? Since Luck, we've been through QB after QB with 0 stability other than Ol' Uncle Rivers (much respect to him btw). 

The Colts aren't a poverty franchise. Since 2000, we were a regular playoff team. It helps that Houston is on fire and everyone is just watching them burn and the Jags haven't done anything since that ONE season. 

How long will they hold on to Trevor Laurence? 

So far yes Wentz is showing he can be our QB for the next five years.

If we lose this game, we're not out of it.  It will be interesting to see what the 17 game season does.. but I think 10-7 or 9-8 has realistic chances of winning the AFC South.  10-7, 9-8 and perhaps even 8-9 could get a wildcard birth.

I was a bit disappointed the Bills lost to the Titans, but the Titans have a very rough stretch ahead.

We have SF (I think we should win), then the Titans (a true must-win), Jets and Jaguars... in that same stretch the Titans have KC, Indy, Rams and Saints.

Assuming we beat SF and Titans lose to KC, if we beat them next week, then Indy-TEN are both 4-4 and 1-1 in head-to-head.  I would like to think we beat the Jets and Jags, so if we go on a 4 game streak here, we'd be sitting at 6-4, whereas if they lose to KC, LAR, and NO (or at least 2 of the 3, and Indy), they'll be sitting at 4-6 or 5-5.... 

I think the game against SF is a big game.   Not necessarily a must-win... IMO, the most important game of the season is going to be next week vs. TEN.  Should we lose this weekend, there is still a decent chance we are 5-5 after 10 games, and if we beat the Titans, there is a good chance they are 5-5 or worse after 10 games.  

I believe Wentz has to play 70% or more of the snaps for us to lose a 1st round pick.  That basically means he has to play 12 games (or 11.9 games, and he's already missed a few snaps).  

My thoughts are, always play to win until you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (and still, play to win, but also time to start giving younger guys a shot, keep vets healthy and think a bit about the future).  We'll know a lot more where we stand in terms of AFC South and wildcard after 10 games...  and really a lot more after our next game against TEN.  

So, for now... no our playoff hopes are still there and even with a loss on Sunday, we should still be playing to win.

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

If we lose this game, we're not out of it.  It will be interesting to see what the 17 game season does.. but I think 10-7 or 9-8 has realistic chances of winning the AFC South.  10-7, 9-8 and perhaps even 8-9 could get a wildcard birth.

I was a bit disappointed the Bills lost to the Titans, but the Titans have a very rough stretch ahead.

We have SF (I think we should win), then the Titans (a true must-win), Jets and Jaguars... in that same stretch the Titans have KC, Indy, Rams and Saints.

Assuming we beat SF and Titans lose to KC, if we beat them next week, then Indy-TEN are both 4-4 and 1-1 in head-to-head.  I would like to think we beat the Jets and Jags, so if we go on a 4 game streak here, we'd be sitting at 6-4, whereas if they lose to KC, LAR, and NO (or at least 2 of the 3, and Indy), they'll be sitting at 4-6 or 5-5.... 

I think the game against SF is a big game.   Not necessarily a must-win... IMO, the most important game of the season is going to be next week vs. TEN.  Should we lose this weekend, there is still a decent chance we are 5-5 after 10 games, and if we beat the Titans, there is a good chance they are 5-5 or worse after 10 games.  

I believe Wentz has to play 70% or more of the snaps for us to lose a 1st round pick.  That basically means he has to play 12 games (or 11.9 games, and he's already missed a few snaps).  

My thoughts are, always play to win until you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (and still, play to win, but also time to start giving younger guys a shot, keep vets healthy and think a bit about the future).  We'll know a lot more where we stand in terms of AFC South and wildcard after 10 games...  and really a lot more after our next game against TEN.  

So, for now... no our playoff hopes are still there and even with a loss on Sunday, we should still be playing to win.

Another thought here.. we just cut Eason who I think a lot (myself included) thought may be our future if Wentz doesn't pan out... and Eason didn't clear waivers to make our PS (Seattle grabbed him).  

I don't dislike Ehlinger, but I have serious doubts that he has the arm to be a franchise NFL QB.  If Eason were around and progressing on the trajectory many of us hoped he would, I'd almost be giddy about the idea of sitting Wentz after our 10th game if we were more than a game behind TEN at that point (and if the wildcard seemed like it'd be tougher than the AFC South, not out of the realm of possibilities that the AFC south winner has a worse record than the last wildcard team)... just to see what we had in Eason.

I could be wrong, but I think what we have in Ehlinger is a guy with a lot of heart, a sound football player and a very solid career backup.  I just don't think he has the arm strength to be a franchise QB and truly would not be all that excited to see us being playing him and Hundley (IMO, neither of them are our future franchise QBs) just for the sake of not losing a draft pick.  Wentz has been playing pretty amazing football for us lately.  Like @Wentzsznjust said, no reason to think (if he stays healthy) that Wentz isn't our QB for the next 5+ years.

8 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Realisticly we have to win our remaining  division games and beat raiders

3 hours ago, chickenMan said:

I hate to be “that guy”, but unless you have the #1 seed locked up every game is a “must-win.”

Although I’d say this game is one we need to win to keep our playoff hopes alive

Agree to an extent. Imo we need to beat SF to keep the momentum going into the rematch with Tenn. That is a must win game. Loss and we would be eliminated, no?

29 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Agree to an extent. Imo we need to beat SF to keep the momentum going into the rematch with Tenn. That is a must win game. Loss and we would be eliminated, no?

No, we couldn’t be eliminated from playoff contention this early in the season. But losing this week would certainly make our battle to the playoffs even steeper. We need to win the next two games before we really start to speculate on the playoffs though, honestly. Because of our early-season hole, every week is more or less do-or-die until further notice, IMO.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

So far yes Wentz is showing he can be our QB for the next five years.

That almost implies that Reich stays around for another 5 years. 

I don't feel like we're trending upwards as a team, just barely a top 15 team overall but it rarely comes together. Other than the Texans game, whens the last time we truley dominated any opponent in all 3 phases from start to finish? 

Last year we were 2 miracle fumbles away from losing 2 games to the Texans, let's not forgot that. 

The AFC is not looking as strong as last year. Out of the teams that made the AFC playoffs last year I would say just the Bills and Ravens look stronger, every other team is looking worse.

Dolphins who just missed with 10 wins have completely fallen off. Of the teams that missed out id say there is 3 on the rise that could make it. Chargers, Raiders, Bengals. I think only the Chargers are legit.

Big picture I think 10 wins gets a wildcard and even if we lose sunday, we could still get 10 wins. 

42 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

I don't feel like we're trending upwards as a team, just barely a top 15 team overall but it rarely comes together. Other than the Texans game, whens the last time we truley dominated any opponent in all 3 phases from start to finish? 

Last year we were 2 miracle fumbles away from losing 2 games to the Texans, let's not forgot that. 

This offseason will be huge for Ballard. He has to fix the secondary. Not with the draft either. With good young free agents. Also better hope Paye and Dayo develop.  He has  his QB so now he can really concentrate on getting the pieces to get this team to the next level. Now he has Wentz these next 2 to 3 years Ballard needs to really be doing things to get us to be a SB contender. Sure makes it easier once you have the QB. It shouldn’t be hard to fix with the QB in place.

I’ll be bold and say a loss on Sunday effectively eliminates the Colts out of the playoff picture.  Especially so if Titans luck their way to win against the Chiefs.  Titans have won two games where they were outplayed and that has just been a dagger to the Colts playoff hopes  

1 hour ago, Frenchy789 said:

Reich (and Ballard) both recently got contract extensions through the 2026 season.  Not saying for sure Reich will be around for 5 more years, but he's not going anywhere until at least after next year (IMO), and if I had to guess, Irsay wants Reich to stay for the remainder of his contract.

Not giving Reich excuses... but he (and Ballard) have dealt with kind of a lot... Luck retiring was certainly a wrench in any plans.  Then the injury woes we've had this year have almost been unreal.  Hard to dominate in all 3 phases consistently in this league, and darn near impossible when key pieces are going on the injury report week in and week out.

58 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

If we lose and Titans upset KC and then we lose to Tenn then.....its over but thats a lot of ifs. Tennessee is not a very good club, talent is lacking but they have pulled out some wins they should not have.....so credit to them for that.

I know "fair" is where you cotton candy, but I don't know if it's fair to say TN is not a very FB club.

They beat us, beat a team on the road we lost too at home, and beat the team most thought was #1 in the AFC if not the NFL.

Not saying they're elite or will win the SB, but they're a solid team with a lot of good pieces (just like us). They just have some obvious holes in places. And I wouldn't touch the TN/KC game, but if I absolutely had to bet, I'd take TN and the points.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know "fair" is where you cotton candy, but I don't know if it's fair to say TN is not a very FB club.

They beat us, beat a team on the road we lost too at home, and beat the team most thought was #1 in the AFC if not the NFL.

Not saying they're elite or will win the SB, but they're a solid team with a lot of good pieces (just like us). They just have some obvious holes in places. And I wouldn't touch the TN/KC game, but if I absolutely had to bet, I'd take TN and the points.

Titans are fortunate things went their way.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think us and Tennessee is pretty even, record wise they are 4-2 and we are 2-4 but that is about to change. Henry is Emmitt Smith 2021 if they didn't have him they would be lucky to have 1 or 2 wins. I am real anxious to see how these next 2 weeks go. As far as betting on the KC at Tennessee game I am staying away from that game but I think KC wins.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think us and Tennessee is pretty even, record wise they are 4-2 and we are 2-4 but that is about to change. Henry is Emmitt Smith 2021 if they didn't have him they would be lucky to have 1 or 2 wins. I am real anxious to see how these next 2 weeks go. As far as betting on the KC at Tennessee game I am staying away from that game but I think KC wins.

The line is decreasing (meaning money is going to TN). 

Should be a good game. Both teams have WRs that are questionable. 

I think KC's bad run D will look, well, bad. KC's pass D isn't good either. I just don't see KC stopping TN much.

If Mahomes has a great night, KC could win. If Hill isn't 100%, I don't like their chances.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Tennessee is the must win. They are running away with the division if they get two wins over us and a winning record while we are 2-6 with no tie breaker 

I just want more of an even chance against TN. Hopefully we can get healthy and play them closer to full strength.  The last few contests with them has left me frustrated.

Hopefully our guys can keep this win streak going tomorrow night. We are getting a bit healthier on the OLine.  Maybe this is DeFo’s breakout game against his old club.

Archived