Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Restructure Hilton's Contract

Indeee

If they are restructuring his contract I'm gonna bet it's going something like this:

"Ok, T.Y.  We all know that Irsay pulled the trigger over my objections, and gave you 8 mill to play this season, and try to get your 10,000 yards.  So far, it ain't going so hot.  So, we have a choice.  You can either play this season out, play maybe 3 games, get your 8 mill, and walk away forever.  Or, we could restructure the deal, pay you 3 mill this year, 5 mill next year, and give you an opportunity to come back next year to complete your quest for 10,000 yards.  Waddaya want to do?"

Hopefully a move is coming soon.

Just now, John Hammonds said:

If they are restructuring his contract I'm gonna bet it's going something like this:

"Ok, T.Y.  We all know that Irsay pulled the trigger over my objections, and gave you 8 mill to play this season, and try to get your 10,000 yards.  So far, it ain't going so hot.  So, we have a choice.  You can either play this season out, play maybe 3 games, get your 8 mill, and walk away forever.  Or, we could restructure the deal, pay you 3 mill this year, 5 mill next year, and give you an opportunity to come back next year to complete your quest for 10,000 yards.  Waddaya want to do?"

Umm no. We had no cap space left. With this Blackmon injury we might need to make a move.

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I believe restructuring doesn't necessarily mean TY gave up any money or took a pay cut. It usually has to do with converting some of his salary to a bonus. He still gets the money, but that bonus portion doesn't count against the cap.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

TY: Well Chris, I think you can go kick rocks.

Why is TY only playing 3 games this year? There are 11 games left. If he can average 60 yards/game, he will get there.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Curious what the NYJ would be willing to take for Maye. Unfortunately, he has a sprained ankle, but he's on an expiring contract. Could be a longish term move.

Maye is more of a off-season move. He’s not the missing link for a SB run. The Colts are not even currently in the playoff picture and most likely don’t have a first in 2022. Who would the Colts give up for Maye, who is playing on a one year franchise tag? 

keep calm dream on GIF

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Curious what the NYJ would be willing to take for Maye. Unfortunately, he has a sprained ankle, but he's on an expiring contract. Could be a longish term move.

He is supposedly available.  I think we would need to restructure a few more guys to pull it off.  Restructuring Doyle and Stewart would get us almost 5m and that might be enough to do it at the deadline.  

Something is up that seems apparent.  I would think TY's restructure was being worked on before Blackmons injury.  So they might be looking elsewhere instead of safety.  I don't think we are in terrible shape there given the players we have currently available to us on our roster.  But you never know.  Blackmon's injury aside I would be looking at CB.  Fuller on the Broncos and Dantzler on the Vikings would peak my interest.  Both are reported to be available. 

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

:thinking:...... Trade coming?

Little extra cash for player acquisition? :goodluck:

Maybe we can throw the eagles couple mil for our 1st round pick back.....:funny:

An addition is most definitely coming you can bet on that. That would be the only logical reason to restructure the contract as we had no cap to make a significant Acquisition.

44 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Maye is more of a off-season move. He’s not the missing link for a SB run. The Colts are not even currently in the playoff picture and most likely don’t have a first in 2022. Who would the Colts give up for Maye, who is playing on a one year franchise tag? 

keep calm dream on GIF

The move would to be get him here now and have him sign long term if he works out. Much easier to do when they are already on the roster. If he doesn't want to sign, let him walk and collect the comp pick.

I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd. but have no idea what they would take.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually see Ballard putting that much investment into S, but I also don't see him getting in a bidding war in FA either. At least this way, they fix the position now and potentially long term.

People always want to find a way to twist the narrative. TY is a legend, and doesn't have to do anything. He said on national TV that the ravens offered him more and that his signing bonus would've been more than the entire contract we offered him. If it was about the skrilla TY woulda quit a long time ago.

The disrespect in here is unreal. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Because your think they just announce the restructure the same morning we find out about Blackmon. I doubt that. 

I do agree it is probably related. 

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

His contract for 2021 was fully guaranteed.

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wonder if Wentz would restructure

As WentzSzn said, he already did. Now have to wait until next offseason to restructure if need be, same with a handful of other guys too.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Apparently not.  Looks like some creative accounting going on.  

I mean it was still fully guaranteed, it is just now pushed back over the next year or so. But he still gets the money upfront. Honestly for a player it doesnt make a difference, as long as their FA year isnt messed up

4 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

As WentzSzn said, he already did. Now have to wait until next offseason to restructure if need be, same with a handful of other guys too.

I mean it was still fully guaranteed, it is just now pushed back over the next year or so. But he still gets the money upfront. Honestly for a player it doesnt make a difference, as long as their FA year isnt messed up

So you are saying it goes against next year’s cap?  Why do that when you could have restructured Doyle with the same result?

47 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Okay wasnt sure, I thought there may have been talks earlier. Either way, it may just not been as feasible depending on his current contract amount or set up. @Superman would have better insights

Doyle hasn't done a restructure. It was easier with Hilton, though, assuming they just did a voidable year in 2022. Doyle is still under contract in 2022, and is probably a cut candidate after this season. 

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

Trading for Hooker, LOL

Heck, trade Mack for Hooker and save money.

He's been a regular in big D's rotation, and their starting FS just got arrested. 

Doubt they're willing to give him up.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Doyle hasn't done a restructure. It was easier with Hilton, though, assuming they just did a voidable year in 2022. Doyle is still under contract in 2022, and is probably a cut candidate after this season. 

I agree the 5+M might be tempting to recoup next year, but just not sure it makes sense unless we're really in a bad spot cap wise. He's grading out as well as he ever has even though we don't feature TE. And Granson hasn't really impressed, nor is he a prototypical type TE. If MAC had a large snap count advantage over Doyle, I might agree, but seems we've been pretty status quo. And I don't see us going early on TE next year in the draft. There were some rumors earlier this year that he might retire after this season, but not sure how much stock I'd put into those.

12 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I re-read this again and realized you weren't saying what I initially thought you were. At this point, it seems like creative accounting with pushing money into a voidable 2nd year, so you weren't too far off. I guess it leaves the door open for another year if this one goes well for him.

Archived