Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackmon Placed on IR *Updated*

CR91

I guess we will have to put up with Eberflus again next season. All the injuries they won’t fire him.

This is going to kill the Colts against the Titans.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Time to put my boy Tell back at S where he has belonged all along. That is if he is healthy. I haven’t heard anything about him.

Blackmon made some nice plays in the run game (though with a pretty high missed tackle rate), but his pass coverage was really lacking. 

This is a bummer for him, but a possible chance to improve the back end pass coverage. 

Also, it is likely going to force Ballard to bring in an actual FS this offseason. Still a bit surprised at the lack of depth they entered this season with. It’s been full scramble mode since.

He was put on IR.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am kind of glad we started 2-4 and playoffs were a slim chance anyway.  

We are really going to have to rely on the offense the rest of the season.

That's an odd thing to say.  I am not happy in any way with the start this team has had.   Might be a bit different if we had a first round pick.  

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sendejo is LP and working his way back from concussion protocol. I expect he'll be fine since he was LP today.

Tell is IR'd for at least 3 weeks, but don't think they've said why.

I think it would be Willis at SS, and then either one of the others at FS (short term). Odom came in for bit and it was not pretty. Long term though (if truly out for the season) Colts need to make a move. Either converting a CB to S, or making a trade. Maybe Jones with his speed can manage?

Rodgers would make some sense, but he will be a liability in the run game.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Bowen just mentioned his name on the radio. Problem he said is the colts record. Who wants to come play for a 2-4 team.

Anyone who wants to continue playing, Colts could be in first place within 10 days and AFC wildcard way open as well..if we were in week 12-13 and eliminated a different story.

29 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Time to put my boy Tell back at S where he has belonged all along. That is if he is healthy. I haven’t heard anything about him.

Blackmon made some nice plays in the run game (though with a pretty high missed tackle rate), but his pass coverage was really lacking. 

This is a bummer for him, but a possible chance to improve the back end pass coverage. 

Also, it is likely going to force Ballard to bring in an actual FS this offseason. Still a bit surprised at the lack of depth they entered this season with. It’s been full scramble mode since.

I agree about Tell.

I'm neither a Ballard worshipper (obvious), but I'm not a Ballard second guesser as much as some have evolved into being.  But there is some lack of vision if the FO thought that Willis could be anything but an in-the-box SS.  Given that limitation, he's really not a C2 half-field deep safety.  Relying upon him and Blackmon to man the deep halves was doomed to problems, IMO.

Maybe they feel comfortable with Odum in a pinch, or maybe they thought (hoped) Tell would show more.....or that 5th round draft pick Davis would stick.    A lot of wannabe hope-it-works-out type of thinking, IMO.

40 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Even if we bomb, i dont think Wentz is getting shut down. I have come to the understanding that they paid a 1st rounder for Carson and valued that over any 1st round rookie QB because they think Wentz is better.....and that bet might not be wrong. The 1st round pick is going to the Eagles.

Agreed 100% but..... 

200.gif

54 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

When the season started everyone said safety depth was bad. Ballard really messed up the safety depth.

Enjoy the next 6 games with Wentz because with this injury we might actually make the decision to sit him so we can keep the first round pick if things go down hill.

We're not sitting Wentz at all if he can play, no matter what the W-L record.

The only thing that could POSSIBLY be justified was if/when we are mathematically eliminated, do the Sam/Jacob competition thingy to see what you have in both young QBs, But even that would have been a stretch to justify if Jacob were still here.

I can't imagine veterans playing hard and risking career injuries when the FO decides to use games as a training exercise for QBs, basically saying that we don't care much if we win, we just want 21 other guys to play hard so we give the 1 backup guy a chance to improve. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I am kind of glad we started 2-4 and playoffs were a slim chance anyway.  

We are really going to have to rely on the offense the rest of the season.

We are in still much better shape than the rest of the league most teams have multiple starters out for the year we only have 1 starter out for the year so far . Two backups in Campbell and tevi . Ravens have like 5 starters out for the year .

59 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

When the season started everyone said safety depth was bad. Ballard really messed up the safety depth.

Enjoy the next 6 games with Wentz because with this injury we might actually make the decision to sit him so we can keep the first round pick if things go down hill.

You really need to not react so swiftly. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree about Tell.

I'm neither a Ballard worshipper (obvious), but I'm not a Ballard second guesser as much as some have evolved into being.  But there is some lack of vision if the FO thought that Willis could be anything but an in-the-box SS.  Given that limitation, he's really not a C2 half-field deep safety.  Relying upon him and Blackmon to man the deep halves was doomed to problems, IMO.

Maybe they feel comfortable with Odum in a pinch, or maybe they thought (hoped) Tell would show more.....or that 5th round draft pick Davis would stick.    A lot of wannabe hope-it-works-out type of thinking, IMO.

They shouldn't feel comfortable with Odum, but maybe they are.

I really wanted them to address S in FA this offseason. In the NFL, you really should have 3 good Ss to run big nickel. With Moore, they have that though. But even more so, you need depth. They did bring in a few guys, but they were all on the very cheap and none worked out and they went into the season with two SSs and a STer at the position. They have been scrambling since...and it looks like they will do so once again with the cap they just freed up.

As for their philosophy at S, getting guys that can't cover is not a good approach. I don't think Willis or Blackmon is any good at it. The metrics back that up and you can clearly see it on tape. So I don't even think this is nearly that big of a loss for the pass defense. Worst case scenario you have one guy getting burnt instead of the other. Best case you get a much-needed improvement.

Just now, shasta519 said:

They shouldn't feel comfortable with Odum, but maybe they do.

I really wanted them to address S in FA this offseason. In the NFL, you really should have 3 good Ss to run big nickel. With Moore, they have that though. But even more so, you need depth. They did bring in a few guys, but they were all on the very cheap and none worked out.

As for their philosophy at S, getting guys that can't cover is not a good approach. I don't think Willis or Blackmon is any good at it. The metrics back that up and you can clearly see it on tape.

They drafted Davis in the 5th.  I read that he had coverage skills but lacked tackling consistency, sort of Hooker-ish traits.

He apparently showed nothing. 

I'm assuming they were projecting Davis to FS and Blackmon to SS with Willis signing elsewhere for a comp pick.  A nice plan for the future, but did not do enough to secure for the present, at this point.

What about that Chechere guy they waived, was he playing safety at all or strictly corner?

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They drafted Davis in the 5th.  I read that he had coverage skills but lacked tackling consistency, sort of Hooker-ish traits.

He apparently showed nothing. 

I'm assuming they were projecting Davis to FS and Blackmon to SS with Willis signing elsewhere for a comp pick.  A nice plan for the future, but did not do enough to secure for the present, at this point.

What about that Chechere guy they waived, was he playing safety at all or strictly corner?

They love Willis because of his leadership. He's going to get another contract. 

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We're not sitting Wentz at all if he can play, no matter what the W-L record.

The only thing that could POSSIBLY be justified was if/when we are mathematically eliminated, do the Sam/Jacob competition thingy to see what you have in both young QBs, But even that would have been a stretch to justify if Jacob were still here.

I can't imagine veterans playing hard and risking career injuries when the FO decides to use games as a training exercise for QBs, basically saying that we don't care much if we win, we just want 21 other guys to play hard so we give the 1 backup guy a chance to improve. 

It's not going to happen. There is no reason, outside of injury, that wouldn't result in a % storm from benching Wentz to save their pick. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

depth is bad everywhere except rb, ballard dropped the ball again

He was a big hitter in college, but I think wasn't consistent in technique and would go for the big hit too often, leading to missed tackles.

He's on the Eagles.

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

He was a big hitter in college, but I think wasn't consistent in technique and would go for the big hit too often, leading to missed tackles.

He's on the Eagles.

I was asking if we released a player who was playing Safety reasonably well...before he was grabbed by the Eagles.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I know but players like that are looking for a team with a chance to win a SB.  

To be fair, we should have beat two of the top 4 teams in the league in the LA Rams & Ravens. 

We aren't far off from being 4-2 with a tiebreaker over arguably the best team in the AFC.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Agreed 100% but..... 

200.gif

I thought that for  while but then stopped to really think it through. Does it suck though? We're still trying to assess what Wentz is but he's young enough to be considered a franchise QB right? If we agree on that then the only question mark left is the ability. So far, he looks like one of the top 10-12 QBs in the league. Sure, we (fans) are possibly lamenting the opportunity cost i.e. we got this dude while failing to get someone like Mac Jones or Justin Fields. Is Wentz better than those guys today and moving forward? The Colts seem to be betting he is.

I cant argue against that POV. Unless we got Trevor Lawrence, the odds that one of those other QBs was turning into Andrew Luck seem pretty slim.

We can prognosticate and pontificate and all that jazz all day long but basically if this pans out (fingers crossed, and so far looking good), we paid a 1st and 3rd for a franchise QB. That's not the worst deal in the world if the kid turns out to be Luck of 2018. I'll take that deal all day.

I think the Colts need to start playing wrs as dbs! Put Dulin as db! He's good as a STer! Put Patmon or Strachen back as safties to take away deep balls! I know its unheard of in todays NFL for a player to play both sides, but some still do this in college and in high schools! Just sayin!

Archived