Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackmon Placed on IR *Updated*

CR91

This hurts as we don't really have a FS type.

• Odum - Flus has never been comfortable playing him when he was listed as backup last year or this year.
  • Willis - definitely no a FS type, and struggles big time outside the box
  • Sendejo - definitely a SS type
  • Josh Jones - has played only SS in the NFL, but is fast
  • Other options - convert a CB.... move Tell back to S.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

• Odum - Flus has never been comfortable playing him when he was listed as backup last year or this year.

isn't sendejo injured too? and Tell injured as well right? Makes me think we might go with Odum and Willis. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Hooker.......... oh wait......

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

isn't sendejo injured too? and Tell injured as well right? Makes me think we might go with Odum and Willis. 

Sendejo is LP and working his way back from concussion protocol. I expect he'll be fine since he was LP today.

Tell is IR'd for at least 3 weeks, but don't think they've said why.

I think it would be Willis at SS, and then either one of the others at FS (short term). Odom came in for bit and it was not pretty. Long term though (if truly out for the season) Colts need to make a move. Either converting a CB to S, or making a trade. Maybe Jones with his speed can manage?

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Played 30% of snaps so far for Big D.

He's grading out the same as their starting FS.

Kazee was just arrested on suspicion of DUI so Hooker will likely be thrusted into the starting lineup. 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I read an article that said there was a correlation between players that get knee reconstructive surgery and then later having Achilles issues.  Not that its directly causal, and not that a player won't get an Achilles issue independent of having a knee issue, but that when a player has the knee, the risk of Achilles problems increase. 

Wasn't Hooker's latest injury with us the Achilles? 

Maybe a stat junkie will massage their own collected data to claim I have confirmation bias or something.  I'm just reporting what I read and filing it under objective-pattern-recognition habits.

But surgeries and rehabs might have advanced since the time the article was written, so any correlation might be outdated and moot.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I like the idea of converting tell . He has shown promise 

• Like 1

• Shive changed the title to Blackmon Placed on IR *Updated*

When the season started everyone said safety depth was bad. Ballard really messed up the safety depth.

Enjoy the next 6 games with Wentz because with this injury we might actually make the decision to sit him so we can keep the first round pick if things go down hill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

When the season started everyone said safety depth was bad. Ballard really messed up the safety depth.

I can agree that we didn't do enough to help the safety depth.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Enjoy the next 6 games with Wentz because with this injury we might actually make the decision to sit him so we can keep the first round pick if things go down hill.

Unless we bomb the rest of the season, I don't see any way they shut down Wentz.

Just now, Shive said:

Unless we bomb the rest of the season, I don't see any way they shut down Wentz.

We will see how this injury effects the team. This defense was already bad. This is going to make it worse. Blackmon was playing like 100% of the snaps. He tackling is going to be missed.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

A couple of years ago I read an article that said there was a correlation between players that get knee reconstructive surgery and then later having Achilles issues.  Not that its directly causal, and not that a player won't get an Achilles issue independent of having a knee issue, but that when a player has the knee, the risk of Achilles problems increase. 

Wasn't Hooker's latest injury with us the Achilles? 

Maybe a stat junkie will massage their own collected data to claim I have confirmation bias or something.  I'm just reporting what I read and filing it under objective-pattern-recognition habits.

But surgeries and rehabs might have advanced since the time the article was written, so any correlation might be outdated and moot.

Hooker and Blackmon both had prior knee surgeries. Their Colts careers have a lot of parallels it seems.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

Even if we bomb, i dont think Wentz is getting shut down. I have come to the understanding that they paid a 1st rounder for Carson and valued that over any 1st round rookie QB because they think Wentz is better.....and that bet might not be wrong. The 1st round pick is going to the Eagles.

• Like 4

This loss of Blackmon for the season could be the dagger in the Colts season. He was playing very good football at the safety position, and now what already is a weakness due to injuries in the secondary, is even more a weakness with our pass defense. 

This simply sucks. Injuries have plagued this team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don't see our defense stopping any passing game now especially with Blackmon lost. If our offense can't be great, we most likely won't make the playoffs now. 

Time to put my boy Tell back at S where he has belonged all along. That is if he is healthy. I haven’t heard anything about him.

Blackmon made some nice plays in the run game (though with a pretty high missed tackle rate), but his pass coverage was really lacking. 

This is a bummer for him, but a possible chance to improve the back end pass coverage. 

Also, it is likely going to force Ballard to bring in an actual FS this offseason. Still a bit surprised at the lack of depth they entered this season with. It’s been full scramble mode since.

• Like 1