Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Week 7 Practice/Injury Report (at 49ers)

EastStreet

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Forum will riot if Taylor has two carries in a game with heavy rain and strong winds

Well we've ignored the fact that we're playing atrocious run Ds several times, and tossed it all over the yard... even with backup QBs... 

Why not ignore weather lol.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

This poor guy thinks Davenport is still our RT.

This is a running theme for us this year, the national media has no idea what the heck is going on here in Indiana. There was a brand new article on CBS sports today talking about who’s winning the Wentz trade, and it said that Wentz is giving us average/mediocre QB play.

How they came to that conclusion, I have absolutely no clue. The dude is lights out so far.

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

This is a running theme for us this year, the national media has no idea what the heck is going on here in Indiana. There was a brand new article on CBS sports today talking about who’s winning the Wentz trade, and it said that Wentz is giving us average/mediocre QB play.

How they came to that conclusion, I have absolutely no clue. The dude is lights out so far.

I seen today Wentz has probably been the top QB these last three weeks. Nfl doesn’t provide dvoa per game I guess but saw someone mention when he looks at the stats it seems he is probably first but most definitely top 5. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I seen today Wentz has probably been the top QB these last three weeks. Nfl doesn’t provide dvoa per game I guess but saw someone mention when he looks at the stats it seems he is probably first but most definitely top 5. 

He was PFF's offensive player of the week last week. His grades, and passer rating have all made jumps consistently since the start of the season.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I mean on paper his stats are just good, not elite, but stats are probably not even half of the story. The only QBs that I’ve seen so far this year that I can say have absolutely performed better than him are Brady, Herbert, Allen, Rodgers, Burrow, Lamar, Murray, and Stafford. That would make him 9th in the league so far this year in my book, and that’s pretty freaking great to me.

To put a cap on my thoughts with Wentz, just think if we had one of the following guys:

-Roethlisberger

-Davis Mills

-Tua/Jacoby

-Teddy/Drew Lock

-Jared Goff

-Jalen Hurts

-Daniel Jones

-Kirk Cousins

-Whoever the heck plays QB for the Redskins at this point

I love having Wentz, especially when you consider those QB situations across the league

5 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I mean on paper his stats are just good, not elite, but stats are probably not even half of the story. The only QBs that I’ve seen so far this year that I can say have absolutely performed better than him are Brady, Herbert, Allen, Rodgers, Burrow, Lamar, Murray, and Stafford. That would make him 9th in the league so far this year in my book, and that’s pretty freaking great to me.

I think what people have to realize is Wentz  will never put up numbers like some of those quarterbacks because we run the ball so much. That is why is think his QBR and passer ratings are telling the real story. As far as yards I don’t expect many 300 yard games unless our run game is just shut down and he has to do it all himself. We just need to be balanced and have him not make many mistakes. Make the big plays like last week a couple times a game to keep the defense honest.

3 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Quote from the CBS Sports article:

“Wentz has largely been ... fine for the Colts, overall.“

Lol, someone clearly isn’t watching any Colts games this year

I read that article. While those specific comments were a bit meh, I think the guy did a decent job with context. He just doesn't give Wentz a boost due to the context. Personally I give Wentz a boost, he's just purely analytical which is fair. 

He does mention things like

"All of that would likely be just fine with the Colts if they were the team they thought they were at the time they made the move to bring Wentz to Indianapolis. But they're not. Their vaunted offensive line has been ravaged by injuries. A unit that ranked 10th, 13th, and seventh in Pro Football Focus' pass-blocking grades over the last three seasons ranks 30th so far this year. While the Colts checked in second, seventh, and second in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Sack Rate in the first three years under Reich, they are 22nd this season. Wentz has thus been under pressure on a sky-high 41.9% of his dropbacks, the second-highest share in football."

And 

"More concerningly, Indianapolis' defense has fallen off from the high perch it established over the past few seasons. The Colts rank just 17th in defensive DVOA, with the league's No. 1 unit against the run but the 29th-ranked outfit against the pass. The Colts have largely been unable to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks, with even their 29.9% mark that falls well short of league average being propped up by games against Jacoby Brissett and Russell Wilson, two players who hold on to the ball for longer than almost any other passer in the league. Indy has essentially done well only at covering players who run routes on Rock Ya-Sin's side of the field, and has been torn up by short (26th in DVOA) and deep passes (30th) alike. "

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think what people have to realize is Wentz  will never put up numbers like some of those quarterbacks because we run the ball so much. That is why is think his QBR and passer ratings are telling the real story. As far as yards I don’t expect many 300 yard games unless our run game is just shut down and he has to do it all himself. We just need to be balanced and have him not make many mistakes. Make the big plays like last week a couple times a game to keep the defense honest.

Exactly. A guy like Stafford or Lamar will always have better numbers because those teams don’t run the ball even half as much as we do. Wentz has done phenomenal with the chances he gets, and that’s what matters.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I read that article. While those specific comments were a bit meh, I think the guy did a decent job with context. He just doesn't give Wentz a boost due to the context. Personally I give Wentz a boost, he's just purely analytical which is fair. 

He does mention things like

"All of that would likely be just fine with the Colts if they were the team they thought they were at the time they made the move to bring Wentz to Indianapolis. But they're not. Their vaunted offensive line has been ravaged by injuries. A unit that ranked 10th, 13th, and seventh in Pro Football Focus' pass-blocking grades over the last three seasons ranks 30th so far this year. While the Colts checked in second, seventh, and second in Football Outsiders' Adjusted Sack Rate in the first three years under Reich, they are 22nd this season. Wentz has thus been under pressure on a sky-high 41.9% of his dropbacks, the second-highest share in football."

And 

"More concerningly, Indianapolis' defense has fallen off from the high perch it established over the past few seasons. The Colts rank just 17th in defensive DVOA, with the league's No. 1 unit against the run but the 29th-ranked outfit against the pass. The Colts have largely been unable to get pressure on opposing quarterbacks, with even their 29.9% mark that falls well short of league average being propped up by games against Jacoby Brissett and Russell Wilson, two players who hold on to the ball for longer than almost any other passer in the league. Indy has essentially done well only at covering players who run routes on Rock Ya-Sin's side of the field, and has been torn up by short (26th in DVOA) and deep passes (30th) alike. "

I do agree with that analysis on both fronts. Although “high perch” is a bit too high of praise for our D; even last year that pass D and our pass rush were both disgusting to watch, and they haven’t gotten much better.

4 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

To put a cap on my thoughts with Wentz, just think if we had one of the following guys:

-Roethlisberger

-Davis Mills

-Tua/Jacoby

-Teddy/Drew Lock

-Jared Goff

-Jalen Hurts

-Daniel Jones

-Kirk Cousins

-Whoever the heck plays QB for the Redskins at this point

I love having Wentz, especially when you consider those QB situations across the league

Cousins is doing just fine.

I feel sorry for Jones. He's played his * off in games, and just has a horrible team.

IMO, both would be much better on a lot of other teams. And Teddy isn't bad, just limited.

We are in a passing league. Defenses from 20 years ago don’t exist. That isn’t how you win nfl games anymore. But your defense needs to be able to make a stop when needed. Like at end up games to secure a win or other critical situations. Most low scoring games today are from bad offenses not good defenses. Our defense is just bad though.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Cousins is doing just fine.

I feel sorry for Jones. He's played his * off in games, and just has a horrible team.

IMO, both would be much better on a lot of other teams. And Teddy isn't bad, just limited.

That’s fair, I just wouldn’t take any of them over Wentz...that was my original point.

Although I admittedly have seen no Giants games this year, so I wasn’t aware that Jones is consistently doing better...I’m happy for him

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

We are in a passing league. Defenses from 20 years ago don’t exist. That isn’t how you win nfl games anymore. But your defense needs to be able to make a stop when needed. Like at end up games to secure a win or other critical situations. Most low scoring games today are from bad offenses not good defenses. Our defense is just bad though.

The last time I saw a defense legitimately carry a team was the Denver D in Peyton’s last year. And honestly, that D really seemed like the last of a dying breed, at least to me.

2 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I do agree with that analysis on both fronts. Although “high perch” is a bit too high of praise for our D; even last year that pass D and our pass rush were both disgusting to watch, and they haven’t gotten much better.

Oh I fully agree that the high perch comment is not reality, but that's what the media was saying last year. Heck, half the fans on this board still thinks our pass D was good last year.... In terms of pass rush though, I am blaming scheme more and more. 

I found it interesting that he specifically said our pass D has only been good on Rock's side when he's playing. The Rock poo poo'ers I hope read that. Not saying he's elite, but he has easily been the best DB by far this year.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Oh I fully agree that the high perch comment is not reality, but that's what the media was saying last year. Heck, half the fans on this board still thinks our pass D was good last year.... In terms of pass rush though, I am blaming scheme more and more. 

I found it interesting that he specifically said our pass D has only been good on Rock's side when he's playing. The Rock poo poo'ers I hope read that. Not saying he's elite, but he has easily been the best DB by far this year.

Rock has really turned it around. I’ll admit that I frequently said we needed to launch him into the sun (being hyperbolic for comedic effect, of course) but I’ll happily eat crow. We really need him now, and he’s doing well. He, Kenny, and Blackmon are the only DBs on our team that I trust anymore, and, well...two of them are out for the time being.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

if you look back at the last 10 years, about 80-90% of the SB winners have had good/great Ds.

KC is a bit an outlier 2 years ago, but they were average not bad, and had some play makers.

You'd actually have to go all the way back to NYG's 2011 team, to find a team that actually won with a bad overall D, and there was a lot of context to that season.

The other 8 teams... NEx3 with BB's D, and Balt, Seattle, TB, Denver, and Philly all had top 10 Ds many top 5 if not all. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

if you look back at the last 10 years, about 80-90% of the SB winners have had good/great Ds.

KC is a bit an outlier 2 years ago, but they were average not bad, and had some play makers.

You'd actually have to go all the way back to NYG's 2011 team, to find a team that actually won with a bad overall D, and there was a lot of context to that season.

The other 8 teams... NEx3 with BB's D, and Balt, Seattle, TB, Denver, and Philly all had top 10 Ds many top 5 if not all. 

Bucs D only looked that good last season because of KC oline injuries. I am not saying you can win with a bad D. I just think people need to realize that there are going to be big passing plays in this league in 2021.  All world shut down defenses just don’t exist. Having a good defense yes is needed. I don’t think a team needs a elite  defense.

14 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Rock has really turned it around. I’ll admit that I frequently said we needed to launch him into the sun (being hyperbolic for comedic effect, of course) but I’ll happily eat crow. We really need him now, and he’s doing well. He, Kenny, and Blackmon are the only DBs on our team that I trust anymore, and, well...two of them are out for the time being.

I've been indifferent about Rock, but his seasons prior to this year haven't been all bad.

• 2019 - struggled transitioning from a college man D to NFL zone early, but had a top 10 graded 2nd half of the season. He ended that year playing at a really high level but people only remember the holding calls early lol... 
  • 2020 - injured early that year, mysterious illness and surgery mid season, and injured late season. And we started playing more funky D with more rip/liz zone which likely led to some issues.
  • 2021 - injured most of the year, but playing better than all of our DBs.

Not sure he'll ever be elite (unless we change scheme or move him from outside corner), but he's showing he can play in our system this year at a decent level.

Archived