Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason Waived/Claimed by Seattle (Merge)

CR91

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

We agree on that about TAylor.  He’s not good at YAc or making people miss.  This is supported by metrics.  He’s a speed guy.  He’s like someone said earlier a bigger better Donald brown.

he reminds me a lot of Sproles.  Watch some Sproles tape, both rushing and receiving.  Looks just like him only a few inches taller which is funny cause he’s short.  Not. A dominant red zone pile mover at the point of attack.

Huh? Taylor has 2" and 40# on Sproles....is actually faster, and more explosive I'm every measurable way....  Sproles was a hell of a player..

But Hines is cut from much more the cloth of a Sproles that Taylor is..... 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Jacoby was also a vet with lots of starting experience. Them  not making Sam the backup shows it probably more them just wanting experience. 

I just reread what you said. You said conservative.

can you please provide the direct quote where i said reich was conservative in 2018 with Luck.

5 hours ago, colts89 said:

Whatever happened with the backup qb situation in the offseason was wacky. He lost his job to the same two players he supposedly beat. Why did he have the backup role to start?

Yeah, there's got to be more behind the scenes that we don't know about.  Because yes he threw a INT in the game he came into but that shouldn't be the reason for the cut that's was a bad situation for any QB. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think in 2018, Frank was still sort of conservative but went for it on 4th several times. Luck had 39 TD's and 4500 Yards but Frank had him throwing short passes for the most part.

Luck had his second best ANY/A that year. That really doesn't scream conservative or short. His IAY was not crazy low either.

He was a bit conservative in terms of depth early, but not in attempts. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I thought we were talking big X receivers. 

also, a lot of those players you mentioned have a lot more time in the league compared to pittman. 

No I don’t necessarily think we need an alpha x.  We just need a guy who can get his own and make chicken salad out of chicken feces sometimes, a guy we can just throw it kind Of up to and feel confident he might make a play, to help out the QB and we don’t have that guy IMo, and every other team who I would consider a contender does excluding BALT, but that is a completely different story and they still have yet to have  any playoff success.

I think receiver positions are redundant and muddy anyway.  Most of these guys are hybrid types anyway.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was conservative because he called a lot of short, easy pitch and catch plays.   It was easy pickings.   It’s why Luck’s completion jumped to nearly 69 percent.    And you’d know that if you were watching on Sling.  

But instead your back again distorting the reality with box score stats.    Nice try. 

Yep yep and yep.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

that's part of the point. and with tight formations you're all but guaranteeing a super stack in the RZ.

You're missing the forest for the trees. When a RB is used predictably in tight formations in the RZ a ton, his broken tackle % and YAC is going to suffer big time. I'm not saying he's a wiggle king, Henry type, or anything, but the stats that you are looking at are considerably impacted by the way he is used.

We played 2 top 10 rush Ds last year, and played the 11th ranked as well. Taylor had over 4 yards per carry in all 3 games.

That's darn good for a rook RB.... 

I finally watched all of this season. I'm not happy with the breaking news that came out.

Don’t tell me any news.  I assumed you watched the whole thing, it’s still going on?

oMG the Donny thing was uhh, err surprising.

the pack game was what made me think that the guy might be better than I thought.  But I don’t see him as a bell cow, even if it were still in style. There are too many things he doesn’t do well.  

And I still don’t think overall he helps the team as much as people like to think he should simply because the individual  RB is not a big difference  maker anymore  except for Henry.  It’s just a rules thing and the change to smaller quicker defenders is probably has  had an unintended consequence of actually being more effective v. The run.

but man is he explosive in the open field.  

1 hour ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Huh? Taylor has 2" and 40# on Sproles....is actually faster, and more explosive I'm every measurable way....  Sproles was a hell of a player..

But Hines is cut from much more the cloth of a Sproles that Taylor is..... 

dude watch tape of Hines Sproles and Taylor.  I think you’d see different.  Sproles looks just like Taylor imo.  Sproles was a big 5 6 lol, and looks loke taylor in the legs and bootay.  Sproles played at 195 not 185.

I mean too each his own but I think Sproles looks just like him on film,  

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

dude watch tape of Hines Sproles and Taylor.  I think you’d see different.  Sproles looks just like Taylor imo.  Sproles was a big 5 6 lol, and looks loke taylor in the legs and bootay.  Sproles played at 195 not 185.

Disagree sproles was shiftier and hard to see because he was short

Don’t tell me any news.  I assumed you watched the whole thing, it’s still going on?

oMG the Donny thing was uhh, err surprising.

I just got done watching the end of S5 a few weeks ago, which was made into a 2 parter because of Covid. I watched the first half when aired, but wanted to watch it over again after such a long hiatus when part 2 came back. Finally had the time to binge, 

And it's still going on. Season 6 in 2022. Just a major development at the end of S5. 

the pack game was what made me think that the guy might be better than I thought.  But I don’t see him as a bell cow, even if it were still in style. There are too many things he doesn’t do well.  

And I still don’t think overall he helps the team as much as people like to think he should simply because the individual  RB is not a big difference  maker anymore  except for Henry.  It’s just a rules thing and the change to smaller quicker defenders is probably has  had an unintended consequence of actually being more effective v. The run.

but man is he explosive in the open field.  

He's great when our OL is great, and even better when we spread things out. 

As far a bell cow, he can absolutely be a bell cow, just like he was a Wiscy. 

I don't want him to necessarily be a bell cow, as I prefer balance in the O, and also want to keep him fresh.

But I also want to use him more when we're playing certain teams, and definitely more than 10 carries like against TN. 

He needs to be in the 15-20 range every game. 

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Just watched sproles highlights they don't compare. Sproles was way shiftier. Sproles was a elite returner to. The only thing they have in common is speed. 

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Just watched sproles highlights they don't compare. Sproles was way shiftier. Sproles was a elite returner to. The only thing they have in common is speed. 

OK man.  Like I said to each his own.

JT would be an incredible kick returner IMO.  Young guys like him used to do that back in the day.

4 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

First of all, injuries are random. Because everything is random. 

Don't blame Ballard, nor Paris for his injuries. As these things are uncontrollable.

"everything is random." Where did you get this nonsense? Every injury is caused, so something can be done to avoid them. 

6 hours ago, coming on strong said:

its definitely season ending just like last year they said its a ten week injury he would be back by week 13  and he never did .  cambell cant play through pain like nelson or wentz when he is a little banged up he sits out . 

6 hours ago, coming on strong said:

kelly is better then any QB we have not named carson ; i would love for him to be on the roster right now .  If kelly went in the game against the rams instead of eason we would be 3-3 right now .   kelly is clutch and a winner no doubt about it .

7c030cf5-220e-4637-8bab-a9b137b00b2c_tex

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Campbells issues have not been he can’t play. He can clearly play and his talent was worth a 2nd round pick. Can’t predict injuries when a guy was never injured in college.

Based on what? How has Campbell’s performance (when healthy) been worth a 2nd round pick? 

10 hours ago, Dumbledore said:

B.S. One doesn’t run the 2 minute offense the way he did without knowing the play book.

Ok....like they don't practice? That's probably where he failed at he didn't meet the requirements unfortunately so there's no need to waste a roster spot when he hasn't improved yet 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Ok....like they don't practice? That's probably where he failed at he didn't meet the requirements unfortunately so there's no need to waste a roster spot when he hasn't improved yet 

No, Ballard only drafts colt-ture guys. So by default they have to be smart and hard working right? (he doesn't worry about being athletic or tough, interviews are where wins happen.)

It's pretty simple really.   Eason did not impress the coaching staff and GM.  

He had every opportunity and was the front-runner coming into this season.   He blew it.   Whether it was his ability to pick up the playbook, a lack of dedication, his abilities.   

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Pretty odd case at the end of it there. He went from the presumed training camp starter to being benched to keep him from starting to cut in a crazy amount of time. Just… what a weird one. 

Not that you expect much down to earth thinking on the radio, particularly from Mike Wells, but he was co-hosting with Bowen this morning and he was talking about how much Ballard botched the backup QB position because of his movement up and down the depth chart.  Not to mention that Ballard said "Look, he's a 4th round pick, he's going to have to earn it" when asked after he was drafted and hasn't had a great thing to say about him since.  

To me, when it mattered, we had a serviceable backup when we needed it - Jacoby - and he did well when he was forced to start an entire season after Luck retired.  After signing Rivers, we all knew we couldn't keep Jacoby at $20m as a backup and couldn't really resign him for what he wanted after the 2020 season so we drafted Eason.  Had the talent, but needed to be coached up - what do you expect from a 4th rounder? ya know?  and then we drafted Ehlinger in 2021 and signed Hundley and put him on the practice squad.  Ehlinger goes on IR and once we get to see Eason, activate Hundley to the active roster because we've seen enough of Eason.  Ballard will put him back on the PS if he clears waivers or maybe we don't. 

But these guys act like we're 2-4 because we cut Eason and Ballard has just completely mishandled the backup situation.  Like, we're talking about a backup QB.  Any team that has to put in their backup for considerable time is in a bad place.  Let's not act like even serviceable backups like Fitzpatrick and Brissett are the norm when we draft 4th round and later QBs.  Let's get a little bit of a grip on reality...

:rantoff:

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

But these guys act like we're 2-4 because we cut Eason and Ballard has just completely mishandled the backup situation.  Like, we're talking about a backup QB.  Any team that has to put in their backup for considerable time is in a bad place.  Let's not act like even serviceable backups like Fitzpatrick and Brissett are the norm when we draft 4th round and later QBs.  Let's get a little bit of a grip on reality...

It's interesting how bent out of shape some people get about us not having a top notch back-up QB, when most teams don't. Most teams have guys that have been around the league for a long time, but were never able to do anything of note (whether as a starter or not). You have guys like Chad Henne, Colt McCoy, Mike Glennon, and AJ McCarron. If any of them have to come in and play meaningful snaps, they're not putting the team on their back and winning the game for you. They may be able to play the role of game manager and not mess up too bad, but that's the general reality of back-up QB's. Fitzpatrick and Brissett are the exception, not the expectation.

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

If this happened in training camp Wentzszn would've lost his mind!!! 

It never would of happened in TC because carson was hurt. The important thing is Wentz is healthy and playing great. It doesn’t matter who the backup is.  There is a difference in wanting to see him play when when we don’t have a QB of our QB is hurt then being mad he is gone.

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

It's interesting how bent out of shape some people get about us not having a top notch back-up QB, when most teams don't. Most teams have guys that have been around the league for a long time, but were never able to do anything of note (whether as a starter or not). You have guys like Chad Henne, Colt McCoy, Mike Glennon, and AJ McCarron. If any of them have to come in and play meaningful snaps, they're not putting the team on their back and winning the game for you. They may be able to play the role of game manager and not mess up too bad, but that's the general reality of back-up QB's. Fitzpatrick and Brissett are the exception, not the expectation.

There are a couple that could win a game. But not many. The fact is if your starter goes down for a long time the season is over anyway. The backup can probably only win a game or two for a team. Heck there aren’t 32 starting QB so some guys that are starters should only be backups.

It seems Eason had a very short rope with Ballard.  His rookie season is a COVID one with no preseason so he is handcuffed right out the gate. Then he plays most of preseason this year…outplays Ehlinger but is cut after one poor series against the Rams defense.  I hope there is more to this behind the scenes that we don’t know.  Anyway…I hope Eason gets his break somewhere else if he is done as a Colt.  He has talent but needs a franchise with the patience to properly invest in him. 

The whole thing is still mind numbingly confusing too me. He goes out and works all offseason with Wentz and our WR's and then goes into TC and plays pretty well. Starts off playing decent whenever he had time to throw and then Reich increasingly called conservative plays with him and then gets benched for Hundly who is god awful and then gets cut for a guy who he easily beat out. I'm still holding firm the Reich had an axe to grind with him.. Still a whole lot of nothing for a back up qb at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

The whole thing is still mind numbingly confusing too me. He goes out and works all offseason with Wentz and our WR's and then goes into TC and plays pretty well. Starts off playing decent whenever he had time to throw and then Reich increasingly called conservative plays with him and then gets benched for Hundly who is god awful and then gets cut for a guy who he easily beat out. I'm still holding firm the Reich had an axe to grind with him.. Still a whole lot of nothing for a back up qb at the end of the day.

There is something weird. Personalities just didn’t mesh. Sams personality I think is what this all came down too. If a guy wasn’t understanding the offense then why was he the backup instead of Hundley. George Bremer said it was Sam that was getting Hundley up to speed on the playbook. That says a lot.

Archived