Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason Waived/Claimed by Seattle (Merge)

CR91

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Myles said:

Look on the bright side.  It means the other back up QB's on the team are thought of as better than Eason.   Maybe Eason was good but Sam and Brett are very good.

Pretty much subjective. If Sam was that much better he wouldn’t have thrown the INT’s in preseason. The theories of not knowing the playbook given Eason’s performance in the two minute drill. As far as Eason’s INT against the Rams why not call a short pass to the middle of the field instead of a 20yd out  (a throw neither Sam nor Huntley can make as well as Eason) to the sideline on his first throw coming in. Reich didn’t put Eason in a position to succeed and that’s what coaches are supposed to do. Schneider is a very good GM so I’m wondering why he didn’t sign Huntley off the practice squad.

27 minutes ago, Dumbledore said:

Pretty much subjective. If Sam was that much better he wouldn’t have thrown the INT’s in preseason. The theories of not knowing the playbook given Eason’s performance in the two minute drill. As far as Eason’s INT against the Rams why not call a short pass to the middle of the field instead of a 20yd out  (a throw neither Sam nor Huntley can make as well as Eason) to the sideline on his first throw coming in. Reich didn’t put Eason in a position to succeed and that’s what coaches are supposed to do. Schneider is a very good GM so I’m wondering why he didn’t sign Huntley off the practice squad.

Eason had the advantage over the other 2 and failed to impress in one way or another.   This is on Eason.   I don't think his interception in the game played much of a part of it.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Eason had the advantage over the other 2 and failed to impress in one way or another.   This is on Eason.   I don't think his interception in the game played much of a part of it.

Yeah, riiiiggghhhhtttt. Eason was better than both of them in preseason. So the only other discriminating evidence that fans can see is the INT in the Rams game. I trust Phillip Rivers ability to evaluate talent more than any other individual on the forum and he says Eason can play. BTW, I trust Rivers ability at play calling better than Reich’s.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Agreed. 

I would say, though, that Ballard's comments upon drafting Ehlinger was that "we like him", so they probably saw that he had more of the QB traits they value, right from the college tape and the beginning of TC. 

Sam ascended and closed the gap pretty quickly to where he and Eason were splitting reps with the 1s.   It may have simply been a matter of time and health. 

12 minutes ago, Dumbledore said:

Yeah, riiiiggghhhhtttt. Eason was better than both of them in preseason. So the only other discriminating evidence that fans can see is the INT in the Rams game. I trust Phillip Rivers ability to evaluate talent more than any other individual on the forum and he says Eason can play. BTW, I trust Rivers ability at play calling better than Reich’s.

Eason will develop into an ok backup.  Sam isn't gonna do a dang thing in the league, keep the receipts everyone, I'd love to eat crow....but he ain't it..... He's like a very very poor man's cliff Kingsbury.

2 hours ago, Dumbledore said:

There could be more to it.   Eason was given the spot and he blew it.  I don't know what he did or didn't do, but it wasn't the 1 INT he had.

I don't see this as such a huge loss or a draft mistake either.  The guy had a lot of potential, worthy of a 4th round flier, and probably still needs a ton of development for that to materialize.  He was beaten out by Jake Fromm (state farm) and had to transfer to start again in college.  He definitely has his limitations.  

I will root for him to succeed as I do all colts but I think this team will be fine at the qb position.  He was never going to be the starter here.

30 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don't see this as such a huge loss or a draft mistake either.  The guy had a lot of potential, worthy of a 4th round flier, and probably still needs a ton of development for that to materialize.  He was beaten out by Jake Fromm (state farm) and had to transfer to start again in college.  He definitely has his limitations.  

I will root for him to succeed as I do all colts but I think this team will be fine at the qb position.  He was never going to be the starter here.

Yup, 4th Rd picks get cut all the time. Not a huge deal that Eason couldn’t stick. I hope he succeeds elsewhere. 

31 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yeah , I agree with you. His college career seems to point to what you conclude. The best we could have hoped for is trading him for a draft pick in a couple of years. I don't think he could have ever displaced Wentz in 2 years.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

We didn’t pay Luck a dime.  The Colts and Jim Irsay did.  I really don’t get why fans get so worked up when it’s not their money.  

Personally I dont care about Irsay's money.  But paying people $25 million after they retire and then not spending a nickel in first waves of free agency doesn't sound like a good approach to building a winner...... and EastStreet posted above of the effect of paying him.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Personally I dont care about Irsay's money.  But paying people $25 million after they retire and then not spending a nickel in first waves of free agency doesn't sound like a good approach to building a winner...... and EastStreet posted above of the effect of paying him.

Luck is still under contract, we own his rights through 2021. He paid him the 1 year thinking he may come back so he didn't want to just cut him.

I actually just looked up Andrew's contract and it said we paid him 25 mill last year, just google it. He is not on the roster so it doesn't count against the Cap but that is Jim paying him. Just read it.

19 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but if Eason isn't able to handle backup duties after a year, I don't really want to invest more time. 

I'm not saying Reich or the QB coaches were good or bad at developing him in general, but just that the most ready QB2 should be on the roster, not the guy they "think" might develop down the road. I understood why they had Eason as QB2 to begin with, but something made them reverse course. Either it was wishful thinking all along, or something changed. Personally I think Eason was handed a horrible play call when he came in. But it is what it is. I just hope they don't jack around the same way with Ehlinger. 

Reich knows his QBs.  So I'll say it: I am sure the coaches did their part.  The NFL is a big boy league and hand holding is just not possible for very long at this level.  Players need to be able to execute.

Eason being picked up by Seattle is very interesting.  Makes sense in that they run the WCO (they poached their OC from the Rams' staff) now so the scheme adjustment will be minimal for him.  Also makes sense in that he's got a lot of arm which is required with a beast like Metcalf who can get down the field in a hurry.

But his issues are going to be just as much of a problem there as they were here.  Seattle's line is also not as good as Indy's.  What Wilson has done behind that line over the years is even more impressive when you consider they're always a bit of a sieve.  So I don't have any reason to think he's gonna succeed there.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It was good according to Frank.....and at he very least he didn't quit on the team.

What else is a coach going to say?  Obviously he wasn't good.   Watch what the teams do and not what they say.    Seems pretty simple

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

Reich knows his QBs.  So I'll say it: I am sure the coaches did their part.  The NFL is a big boy league and hand holding is just not possible for very long at this level.  Players need to be able to execute.

Eason being picked up by Seattle is very interesting.  Makes sense in that they run the WCO (they poached their OC from the Rams' staff) now so the scheme adjustment will be minimal for him.  Also makes sense in that he's got a lot of arm which is required with a beast like Metcalf who can get down the field in a hurry.

But his issues are going to be just as much of a problem there as they were here.  Seattle's line is also not as good as Indy's.  What Wilson has done behind that line over the years is even more impressive when you consider they're always a bit of a sieve.  So I don't have any reason to think he's gonna succeed there.

I agree for the most part, but I do think some teams spend more time developing rook QBs than others. Sure coaches know most, but teams also can hire as many assistants as they want to assist in development. Not saying we didn't, or lacked commitment, just that we'll never know. And some teams go out of their ways to set up players with trainers for the offseason, and then monitor. We saw a little of that from Indy over the years, but not a ton. And of course the musical chairs at QB likely didn't help relative to any focus on Eason. 

I think if you could combine the best of Jacob Eason (body, arm) with the best of Sam Ehlinger (mind, moxie, leadership) you’d have a top-10 draft pick quarterback, maybe even top-5.  

The Football Gods give very few humans all the top qualities you need.   Everyone else does the best they can with what the have. 

3 hours ago, Walkingbear4343 said:

Eason wasn’t exactly a star in college.  Take more than a big arm to succeed in the nfl.

Neither was Josh Allen. I remember many predicting that he would be a bust in the nfl and that the Bills were reaching with the pick but they get a lot of credit from the media for his development.

I honestly think like NewColtsFan said that they needed space on the active roster and had plans to place Eason on the ps but he was claimed by the Seahawks. 

6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Neither was Josh Allen. I remember many predicting that he would be a bust in the nfl and that the Bills were reaching with the pick but they get a lot of credit from the media for his development.

I honestly think like NewColtsFan said that they needed space on the active roster and had plans to place Eason on the ps but he was claimed by the Seahawks. 

A lot of the media said that Lamar Jackson should be a WR and would never make it as a QB in the NFL, half these goofballs have no idea what there talking about lmao .

10 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Eason will develop into an ok backup.  Sam isn't gonna do a dang thing in the league, keep the receipts everyone, I'd love to eat crow....but he ain't it..... He's like a very very poor man's cliff Kingsbury.

Who hurt you?  Look I have no clue what will happen with Sam.  He might develop he might flame out.  What I do know is that you only seem to post negative things.  You don’t have to be positive about everything but if you are a fan of the team it would seem like you would have something positive to say now and then.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of the media said that Lamar Jackson should be a WR and would never make it as a QB in the NFL, half these goofballs have no idea what there talking about lmao .

I created Lamar Jackson in Madden 2 years before he was even drafted.....can you guess I like playing with fast mobile QB's? haha

41 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

11 pages for a 4th round QB not working out and getting cut? It's that big of a deal?

Too funny. Long time colts fans understand big arms mean jack crud.  Typically in the past

the big arm QB's came with an equal size ego. Jeff George comes to mind. Not saying Eason

was that guy but from his pressors I did sense a little air of superiority from him. Irsays have

been down that road before. No rook is going to come in here unless your #1 and bring that

crap.  

2 hours ago, Blindside said:

Too funny. Long time colts fans understand big arms mean jack crud.  Typically in the past

the big arm QB's came with an equal size ego. Jeff George comes to mind. Not saying Eason

was that guy but from his pressors I did sense a little air of superiority from him. Irsays have

been down that road before. No rook is going to come in here unless your #1 and bring that

crap.  

Not sure I ever got the feel Eason had a big ego, always seemed low key and matter of fact. I never had a dog in the Eason/Sam battle that went on here. Wanted the better player to win out and they brought different things. Never been a Hundley fan because seen him be very bad in the past and hoping Sam passes him in the pecking order again. I think if Wentz becomes unavailable and we are still in playoff hunt they will turn to Hundley though right now, if we are out of playoff hunt the will let Sam have a chance to show something.

Eason girlfriend started a YouTube channel. She said Jacob was on his way to the colts facility to sign his practice squad papers when he found out he was claimed by Seattle. Kind of off topic but man the girlfriends and wives having to pack everything up so quickly has to be stressful. Just watching her video was kind of sad how quickly things can change if your not signed to a long term contract. On the day he was claimed he had two hours to pack and get to the airport. Leaving her behind to do everything. Luckily his sports agent helps get movers and everything. Rochelles wife is a good friend and helped her. She doesn’t know how she is going to get her dog there. Luckily her parents are going to take her until they figure it out. I don’t know why I find all of this Interesting. I just like the human element of the players that play for this team.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason girlfriend started a YouTube channel. She said Jacob was on his way to the colts facility to sign his practice squad papers when he found out he was claimed by Seattle. Kind of off topic but man the girlfriends and wives having to pack everything up so quickly has to be stressful. Just watching her video was kind of sad how quickly things can change if your not signed to a long term contract. On the day he was claimed he had two hours to pack and get to the airport. Leaving her behind to do everything. Luckily his sports agent helps get movers and everything. Rochelles wife is a good friend and helped her. She doesn’t know how she is going to get her dog there. Luckily her parents are going to take her until they figure it out. I don’t know why I find all of this Interesting. I just like the human element of the players that play for this team.

It comes with the territory for players in that position ..once cut or even passed in pecking order have to have things ready. Seattle wanted him before we even cut him, I posted on that a couple weeks back so Im sure he had an inkling move to there could possibly happen. In Seattle he has a road to playing because Geno isnt great and jake Luton is well... Jake Luton so until Russell is ready a chance is there IF he can learn their playbook which is simpler than Indys but still needs to be learned.

24 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

It comes with the territory for players in that position ..once cut or even passed in pecking order have to have things ready. Seattle wanted him before we even cut him, I posted on that a couple weeks back so Im sure he had an inkling move to there could possibly happen. In Seattle he has a road to playing because Geno isnt great and jake Luton is well... Jake Luton so until Russell is ready a chance is there IF he can learn their playbook which is simpler than Indys but still needs to be learned.

ESPN already has him as the #2 lol...

I'm going to LMAO if he gets the start at some point and does decent.

Seattle's O scheme and WRs are likely to be far better for Eason than Indy's.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN already has him as the #2 lol...

I'm going to LMAO if he gets the start at some point and does decent.

Seattle's O scheme and WRs are likely to be far better for Eason than Indy's.

Doesnt surprise me because Luton is a poor man's Eason really......big arm , no mobility cant read defenses and when Wilson is back Luton likely gets cut not Eason.  Seattle will be eliminated early this year and Wilson can be shut down.  I sincerely hope he does well, I root for most former Colts unless they give me a reason not too (Any in New England...hard no Lawrence Guy appreciate those 9 games and that sack in 2012 but...). 

12 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Doesnt surprise me because Luton is a poor man's Eason really......big arm , no mobility cant read defenses and when Wilson is back Luton likely gets cut not Eason.  Seattle will be eliminated early this year and Wilson can be shut down.  I sincerely hope he does well, I root for most former Colts unless they give me a reason not too (Any in New England...hard no Lawrence Guy appreciate those 9 games and that sack in 2012 but...). 

I always cheer for x-players, unless they left us or did us wrong. lol.

Would love to see him do well (just for him), but would also enjoy some of the board talk lol.. 

Archived